Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad news

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he had a 1987 ford f130 dually 4door 2wd longbed truck and he loved it. it was the diesel 7.3 i think and i first learned to drive it and it was in great shape up untill the day it was stolen. it was good shape for a 23 year old truck my point is ford can be in just as good of shape as toyota but ford needs alot more TLC to be in the shape my dads old f350 was in he babyed it that truck was his first son i guess yall could say thats why i likes ford so much
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not see anything wrong with you tinkering around with it, That's the ONLY way that you will ever learn to work on cars/trucks. That's how I learned! I bought a 1973 Datsun 620 p/u when I was 16 & I didn't have any money so I had to figure things out for myself, I then moved on to a Mustang, Nissan 720 p/u, etc, etc, etc, & about 15 vehicles later I have NEVER had a car payment because I only buy what I would consider to be good used vehicles & do the repairs myself. If I was given a newer vehicle back in the day instead of that old Datsun maybe I wouldn't know how to work on cars now? I love my Fords & that's not going to change, but I also owned a 1986 Toyota p/u with the 22R & that truck never gave me any trouble. It always started & ran good, I drove it for 3 years & sold it for more than I paid! Honestly, this time around I picked up the Toyota because I know these older Toyota trucks last. Maybe the 3VZE engine was a mistake? I don't know just yet. Anyways although I am a Ford guy I know these are good trucks as well if not better.

Maybe you can talk to your dad about it? Tell him that you will keep & drive the Ford but you would like to store the Toyota for a later 302 swap & see what he says. Tell him that you honestly enjoy working on the truck & it brings you happiness. Tell him you want a Chevy & his blood might really boil!

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think if i were you, i'd simply loose the will to live. I've driven an F-150. It felt like if should have had a big Fisher-Price logo on the front. Sorry for your loss, why exactly must you sell the Toyota, I mean, its your ride.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i for one think his dad is doin a good thing!..i love my yota to death..but if my dad wanted to give me an $8500 truck...thats 4wd...then HELL YES i would sell that yota..theres always something going out on it..and its not as nice looking as a newer vehicle..inside or out...styling wise yes..looks no..lol..

personally i want a '98-'02 dodge diesel quad cab with a 6spd...i LOVE that year of truck..2wd or 4wd..had a 4wd '02..it was 5000000000000x's the truck my toyota ever thought about being...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by turborich
. . .I bought a 1973 Datsun 620 p/u . . .I also owned a 1986 Toyota p/u with the 22R & that truck never gave me any trouble.. . .
Small world. I had a 73 Datsun (back in 74) and a 1986 Toyota that I bought in 86. Both were good trucks.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM

OK, so a couple of last points. Someone previously made a very good point, none of us know either of you. You know your dad, but you don't really seem to understand him. Your dad being a career marine probably doesn't express himself easily, and probably doesn't easily tolerate people he doesn't like or respect. You are twenty years old right. You still live in your dads house right. If your dad didn't care about you, your butt would have been out of his house on your eighteenth birthday if not sooner. So with that in mind why don't you approach this from the perspective that your father has YOUR best interest in mind. Maybe he is doing this because he is worried that your yota is either not safe enough for you, not dependable enough for you, or just plain wants you to have something nicer(his opinion ). So why are you talking to us about this? Go have a man to man discussion with your father. LISTEN to his opinion, then express yours in an adult manner. No arguing or whining. talk like a man and he will respect you for it even if he disagrees. You might find this easier to work out than you think. If you can't work it out then to me it is a no brainer, your dad has taken care of you and is still taking care of you, and obviously loves you or he wouldn't still be trying to take care of you. You might be surprised at how many of use would have given anything to be in your place. So if it really comes down to a choice... whats more important, a truck or a dad that cares about you. If you have to choose to give up the truck,... well get used to it because there is going to be alot of times in your life when you have to give up something to do the right thing, thats called being a man and in the end that is what you will be the most proud of in your life. So there is my soap box. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM

well i tried you advice couple of hours ago and as him being a ex marine he doesnt really like to talk about things very much hence why my mom is nowhere to be found she left us 2 years ago cause of him and his ummm how can i say lack of communication skills he will talk to me about it to a extent but it only gets so far then he shuts down and will just stare at me till i either get ticked and walk away or when he says i dont care and he gets up and walks away. all i have gotten from yall is good advice im thankful for it i guess im just going to have to cave and sell my truck no matter how hard it is going to be to see it gone
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by fireman1559
well i tried you advice couple of hours ago and as him being a ex marine he doesnt really like to talk about things very much hence why my mom is nowhere to be found she left us 2 years ago cause of him and his ummm how can i say lack of communication skills he will talk to me about it to a extent but it only gets so far then he shuts down and will just stare at me till i either get ticked and walk away or when he says i dont care and he gets up and walks away. all i have gotten from yall is good advice im thankful for it i guess im just going to have to cave and sell my truck no matter how hard it is going to be to see it gone
just fkn hide it dammit!

take it apart, put it in the back of the ford (it will fit in pierces im sure)

drive around like that for a while

once you move out

put 'er back together the way you really want to.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM

you know it really does suck to get rid of the yota. i like old fords. the best one i had was a 79 bronco. that thing was awesome. BUT when my dad and I hit the desert, he takes his 71 bronco lockered and everything. he see's what my stock yota can do and is actually amazed. i'm a yota fan but i also like fords alot. both are great trucks. and heck...a free truck...wouldn't complain one bit
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM

we came to an agreement he takes this truck back and i get some choice in the say of what i drive and this was his idea he said it wasnt fair for him to pick out a truck for me so i get to atleast have some say in what he picks and what he doesnt know is im going to pay for it and get the title in my name so he cant hold it over me i already found a truck its alot cheaper than 8500 and its got a 6in lift and 35s!!!! i got a pick of it today ill try ot post it up here in a few
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM

we are soppoused to get this one thursday my dad is takin the one he got back and im going to pay for this one. and this is all his idea i dont want yall to think im spoiled. i aint nowhere near it
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Good job! Bravo!!

I applaud you, lol.

I like seeing things turn out like this.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 AM

I am gonna say this and I will probably get flak but if your father respects you make your own choices.
If you want a Toyota he should respect that.
I make own decisions.
Unless there is some kind of pull going on like he financed it I don't see why people do everything their parents say?
I guess because I am older so I don't understand why people let their own decisions or mind made up by their parents.
Gotta be your own man sometime.

Here's a little example what I am talking about would you bash your son if he liked baseball and you didn't?
Comon who does that? If it was may dad instead of pulling that instead of pleasing him I'd be pretty pissed off.
Clearly you doing this to please him instead of yourself. Myself I'd rather be happy with my own choices.
It smells of co-dependence.

Last edited by 934rnr; 02-18-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Now that is a cool looking truck(for a ford)LOL Now you can build yourself a monster rock crawler and haul it with that. Good job!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wile E. Toyote
Sell yer dad and keep the yota.
HAHA, i agree, but seriously though, i feel for you, my parentals hate any import... and i live in MI, so its like twice as bad..
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM

you gonna hang around or leave us? (YT)
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM

yea of course ill hang around im just got another truck