Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad MPG after top end rebuild and y pipe mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trythis

Now, put a cat on your truck. Poisoning the air is not acceptable just because it makes you think you can go faster. Plenty of people drive with converters and don't have the problems you are having and they aren't contributing as much to lung disease. Driving without a cat is like driving a 2 stroke, and you should save that for riding your old motorcycles.
good point there buddy,but first i dont have no cat cause i want more power,haha,its cause i dont have 150 bux to spend on it.now I FOUND THE PROBLEM LADIES!! it was the tps i adjust it carefully this morning and rechecked my timming wit a timming light gun,10 btdc advance,cause i run high octane gas,and voila! it takes me almost half of what it took me before to get from one point to the other. and im thinking to replace that O2 sensor soon too and see if its even better.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
sparkplugs.com has NGK for less than $100.

Plus currency conversion
Plus shipping (minimal)
Plus border fee's

Its just cheaper overall if you buy one in canada if you live in canada.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief_Yota
...10 btdc advance,cause i run high octane gas...
That is the stock set timing and is suitable for 85 octane. Only get enough octane to prevent pinging, and use only Teir 1 gas.

I run 17*btdc and run 93 octane.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-13-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I use nothing but 87 octane!! Never had any pinging
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can check the O2 sensor with a meter. When O2 sensors stop sending a signal, the ECU interprets that as a lean condition and enriches the mixture accordingly.

Back pressure affects the frequency of an exhaust system's scavenging and very much affects the performance of a 4 stroke engine. Unless the engine is built to rev extremely high, back pressure is necessary to scavenge within the engines mechanical operating limits.

More pressure will lower the frequency and you will experience low RPM scavenging and corresponding torque. Pressure will build quickly and typically sap higher RPM torque and thus power. (power = torque * RPM)

Less back pressure conversely increases the frequency thus scavenging at higher RPM's. As you have guessed this means more power.

All things equal, pumping and friction losses are higher at higher RPM's so producing power at a lower RPM is better for fuel economy because those losses make up a smaller fraction of the total engine power at the point. This will make your truck slower.

All that said, it is highly unlikely your Y pipe mod and lack of catalytic converter have reduced back pressure to a point the engine is scavenging at an RPM it cannot reach.

When my cat was stolen, I was very curious to see the effect on engine performance. The effect was pronounced, the engine had very little torque; acceleration was terrible. This lack of torque was evident throughout the RPM range. Not only is scavenging affected but EGR is as well increasing the likelihood of knocking and resulting retarding of the timing. The addition of the high flow cat and more free flowing cat-back exhaust increased engine performance over stock and yielded a 1.5MPG increase in economy.

Frank
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ^VooDoo^
These are 4 stroke engines, They dont need back pressure, They need velocity and scaveging affects.
2 stroke engines do.
I never said the engine needed backpressure. A properly setup system with the correct backpressure will allow for a better low end torque range. A fully free flowing exhaust will knock that low end torque down and up high end horse power. I know that for a fact cause I did it to my camaro when I put headers and 3" tubing all the way back on my 305. It had an exhaust to handle 500hp on a 250hp car.