Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Back window goes down but wont go back up

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i had a feelig the motor is toast, is it a pain to remove and replace? Does the window have to be up to take it out?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 AM

I have taken window motors out of a few different vehicles, but I have a truck and hand cranked windows. But someone earlier said it's just three bolts to remove the motor from the regulator mechanism. Looking at my 90-95 FSM, it doesn't look like TOO much trouble to remove the entire regulator mechanism and it does indeed look like three bolts attach motor to regulator. You may be able to remove the motor without removing the regulator, someone else will have to speak to that.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Yea i know its 3 bolts, 12mm bolts i think. But im not sure if there are precautions i should take, like if the window should be up or down, anybody gt any ideas?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
92Yoda,
I recommend being positive about what's broken before spending money and time replacing any component with junkyard parts, because there's no guaranty that the replacement part would be good, and it will only complicate your troubleshooting.

I thought you said you tested your motor already. What did you find out? You do not have to remove motor to test it, simply feed 12VDC directly to appropriate terminal. When you feed it 12VDC to one terminal, motor should turn and move window one way. Feed the other terminal/polarity, and window should go the other direction. This would be regardless of states of limit switches. Just make sure you disconnect ALL electrical connections to the motor, other than your test power & ground. This will help you make sure of condition of motor. To find out exactly which terminal, you would need FSM. Aren't there other members who can post one? Unfortunately (or fortunately =D), I have a first-gen.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually, you want to have the arms straight across.... find an FSM, it will tell you how to do it properly... i don't know how to explain it in words...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM

When he said he tested the motor he said:

"Yea i bypassed the whole circuit and tried to jump the motor, no clicks or any sign of movement,"

I don't believe he actually tested it at the motor and trying to wring specific details over the internet is a big hassle. The only accurate way of testing the motor is testing it IN the regulator while the window is still attached. Get your +12V and GND test leads straight from the battery and connect them directly to the motor terminals. Test it several times up and down and carefully watch for differences in speed between going up and down. Up should be ever so slightly slower than down. You won't hear any clicks or anything, just wrrrrrr of motor.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jerry507
When he said he tested the motor he said:

"Yea i bypassed the whole circuit and tried to jump the motor, no clicks or any sign of movement,"

I don't believe he actually tested it at the motor and trying to wring specific details over the internet is a big hassle. The only accurate way of testing the motor is testing it IN the regulator while the window is still attached. Get your +12V and GND test leads straight from the battery and connect them directly to the motor terminals. Test it several times up and down and carefully watch for differences in speed between going up and down. Up should be ever so slightly slower than down. You won't hear any clicks or anything, just wrrrrrr of motor.
Why should up be slower than down? Do you know that the stock window mechanism actually pushes the window UP constantly? (it is spring loaded). It actually takes more force/effort to bring the window down. When it goes up, the motor is actually regulating it from going up too quickly.

I do agree with you, that he never tested it correctly....
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM

I looked up the mechanism and see the spring you're talking about. Now if you've taken it apart and have seen it push it up, I'll defer to your experience. But the spring looks like it is there to tension the 2nd lift arm to make sure it moves level with the main lift arm. The best picture I have seen is:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51902911

The arms are not spring loaded up in that picture... Again, if you've got experience I'll definitely defer to that. Also in that post he talks about it moving slow and a motor replacement fixes it. It doesn't look THAT different than a standard window regulator, aside from the 2nd lift arm with the spring.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jerry507
I looked up the mechanism and see the spring you're talking about. Now if you've taken it apart and have seen it push it up, I'll defer to your experience. But the spring looks like it is there to tension the 2nd lift arm to make sure it moves level with the main lift arm. The best picture I have seen is:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51902911

The arms are not spring loaded up in that picture... Again, if you've got experience I'll definitely defer to that. Also in that post he talks about it moving slow and a motor replacement fixes it. It doesn't look THAT different than a standard window regulator, aside from the 2nd lift arm with the spring.
They are not spring loaded up in the photo because he has jammed a bolt in the arms. Once you remove the motor, the spring forces the arms apart... It's the same on the 89 and 99 (and i'm sure all other years)... i've had them both apart...

The gears themselves make the arm move in tandem, the spring keeps tension on them.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Good to know.

So when the motor starts to die, does one direction get more load than another?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 AM

Yep it's harder to go down. What happened with mine, is the gear kept stripping. Motor was fine. I took the gear out, TIG welded the teeth, grinded them to the approximate angle, heated it with a torch then quenched it in cold water. It has worked great since (5 years).