Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is this axle wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
While springs are definitely the most likely culprit. How is your frame?

It's possible your frame is toast behind the gas tank causing all that flex.

Check my frame rot thread in my sig for a worst case scenario.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, my frame is so clean it'll make you drool.
That was one of the main reasons I bought it.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
If the frame was flexing in the usual spot, the dogleg, everything behind it would be moving which you would see relative to the road surface.
If the spring mounts were wallowing out the spring angle would change, the front rising.
What we see here is the front section of the spring close while the rear section spreads, noticably just after the u bolts.

Spring damage,
Looking along the sides. I see what could be cracks or just scratch marks. Just to the rear of the u-bolt where it's twisting the most there is one of these "lines".
The c channel brackets are bent to one side. These are supposed to make the spring pack act as a single spring with regards to up and down movement while allowing them to slip lengthwise for more vertical articulation.

They are not evenly spread like you would see when over extended in a vertical plane. (Like someone jacked up the rear end from the center) They are torn off to the one side like someone drove up under it at an angle or dropped it on its side..

If you look at the left-hand wheel you'll also notice a flat spot on the backer plate bottom where it was dropped or impacted. May or may not be related to the other damage
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't notice any cracks in the leafs before. I'll look closer though.

I've been wondering about that backer plate. I figured maybe the PO slid sideways off a pointy rock or something, but I'd never really thought about the spring brackets before. I don't see any evidence off rear-end impact. The only sort of impact damage anywhere on the vehicle is small dent on the front bumper that I mostly beat back out.

I finally found some springs that are claimed to be a simple stock replacement at a decent price. I haven't compared the measurements yet though.
https://thesuspensionking.net/index....product_id=641