Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anyone running the old Air Soft bb's in the tire trick...???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krb90
We are in the wrong forum for this.....

In Newtons first law, an object will stay in a linear motion unless some outside force acts on it. To travel in a circular motion, you need an outside force i.e. centripetal force....it acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is applied through the string. It is described scientifically as centripetal force "pulling" the object toward the center axis, applied through the string. It could easily be a Toyota truck making a sharp turn in a curve. The centripetal force is applied through the friction of the tires (or stated otherwise, the mass and velocity of the truck is not enough to overcome the friction of the tires/road). What makes the object fly off tangent is the lack of centripetal force pulling it in, or, if you're on ice, the lack of friction, or lack of a really strong piece of string.

In Newtons 3rd law, every action has an opposite reaction. The reaction in this case is centrifugal force. It is called a pseudo force because it doesn't act on the object itself....it acts on the center of the radius (or axis) in our string/ball scenario. So if you were standing on the middle of the string, centrifugal force would be pulling the center of the axis outward on one hand, and the other hand centripetal force is pulling the ball in toward the middle. Both centrifugal and centripetal forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, cozily conforming to Newtons 3rd law.

In summary, centrifugal force is really an absence of centripetal force....the object that flies off tangent to the axis is in motion according to Newtons 1st law, staying in a linear motion unless acted upon by an outside force, which would be the centripetal force, and thenceforth giving rise to it's equal but opposite force, centrifugal.

Someone tell us to shut up any time.....
Didn't even see this until now, thank you for clarifying that. That will help with the AP exam, maybe another right question or two.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krb90
We are in the wrong forum for this.....

In Newtons first law, an object will stay in a linear motion unless some outside force acts on it. To travel in a circular motion, you need an outside force i.e. centripetal force....it acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is applied through the string. It is described scientifically as centripetal force "pulling" the object toward the center axis, applied through the string. It could easily be a Toyota truck making a sharp turn in a curve. The centripetal force is applied through the friction of the tires (or stated otherwise, the mass and velocity of the truck is not enough to overcome the friction of the tires/road). What makes the object fly off tangent is the lack of centripetal force pulling it in, or, if you're on ice, the lack of friction, or lack of a really strong piece of string.

In Newtons 3rd law, every action has an opposite reaction. The reaction in this case is centrifugal force. It is called a pseudo force because it doesn't act on the object itself....it acts on the center of the radius (or axis) in our string/ball scenario. So if you were standing on the middle of the string, centrifugal force would be pulling the center of the axis outward on one hand, and the other hand centripetal force is pulling the ball in toward the middle. Both centrifugal and centripetal forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, cozily conforming to Newtons 3rd law.

In summary, centrifugal force is really an absence of centripetal force....the object that flies off tangent to the axis is in motion according to Newtons 1st law, staying in a linear motion unless acted upon by an outside force, which would be the centripetal force, and thenceforth giving rise to it's equal but opposite force, centrifugal.

Someone tell us to shut up any time.....
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by idayota
for what its worth, i balanced out a set of 37" goodyear mtr's with half a paint can cap full of metal bb's. worked great and drove on em as a daily driver 25 miles each way to work. i found that 99% of the time, the balance was perfect. 1% of the time i would get up to speed and it would feel like one of the tires didn't balance, which makes sense if you think about it. speed up too fast or too slow and a clump of beads get plastered to one spot across the width of the tire. but for the most part, worked great and saved a bunch of money mounting and balancing my own tires.

ps...the sound the bb's make when you come to a stop will also throw you/other people for a loop at times
a customer at big o was being very rude to me, only waited 5 mins before complaining to my manager that i was taking too long to balance his tires, so i filled the tires with pennies... man you could hear that comin from down the street... i got a call when i moved back here that the guy had come back and they took out the pennies.. they were worn SMOOTH, and the guy was sayin its the loudest ride hes ever had, but also the smoothest, he just didnt like the noise. i was like, uh.. okay...
Old 03-14-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94toyotapickup
water thats wierd im not a scientist but wouldnt it evaporate idk maybe not cus its sealed but still surpiizing to me
in a completely sealed environment, water will not boil, and will heat up past boiling point (wicked) until it cools down or until a rupture in the environment.

Mt. St. Helens had this happen, as the large explosion was partly due to flash-boiled snow, superheated in a closed environment, and when the sealed environment was punctured BOOOM. Water I believe expands at 1700 times its volume when its turned to a gas.

This is why we use water in nuclear generators as well.

Realistic application: this is why we use lids on pans... keeps it from boiling over
Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xzyragon
Realistic application: this is why we use lids on pans... keeps it from boiling over
Huh?? This is only true in a sealed pressure cooker. The only thing a lid does is keep it from evaporating to dry over a shorter period of time...that is why we use a lid... you still get some evaporation as the lid is not tight. It will still boil over, and pretty quickly, I think that is what you meant...the last statement just seamed a little abosulute.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 03-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 AM

huh huh huh huh, yeah fire fire fire,yea, huh huh huh

are you threatening me??
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Dyna Bead has a chart on their site for how much weight is required for the size of tire.

I tried this on my 33" mickey thompsons I could feel sometimes one tire didnt balance well. I ended up balancing my front tires with regular weights and it feels much better but I still have the beads in the rear and no problems so far.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 AM

the airsoft bbs wont melt in your tire unless its on fire take a lighter to one and see how long it takes to make it soft and as far as the water i dont think thats very smart think of it this way water expands when it gets hot and turns to steem if you put enough water in your tire and had it at a high enough psi it could blow your tire and wouldnt have any weigh to balance the tire out if the water was in gas form
Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM

I've even heard of people adding that green flat-tire-slime to unbalanced tires to get better balance before. I personally wouldnt add metal, although it would provide more mass for fewer ball bearings. I would be worried about the 'media blasting' effect a thousand or so BBs would have on the guts of my wheel or tire. The plastic BB thing sounds like a better solution, but still... I would rather just take my tires and wheels to a shop that knew what they were doing. I also wouldnt stuff my tires with PVC pellets if I were inclined to do burnouts (which I'm not). I saw on TV (probably mythbusters or top gear or some crap) people trying to set tires on fire doing burnouts, and they couldnt... until the tires stopped. Apparently the tire tread provided enough air flow to blow out the fire on the over-combustion-temp rubber. Anyhow, it probably doesnt mean anything and I'm ranting, but I sure wouldn't want a gallon or so of PVC soup swimming around inside MY tires...

Most of the cases of 'we cant balance this' stems from a bad job done by the person mounting the tire in my personal experience. There is nearly no excuse for not being able to balance a tire any smaller than 40" (or like 31" with boggers, hah!) if they have the right skills, machines, and weights. Try going to another shop.

and P.S. . . Dead thread revival of the year award on this one!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-18-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Sweet im going to try this. I've heard truck drivers using sand to balance tires. Although its super illegal to put stuff in your tires i think?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Revival #2--I just ordered some Dyna-Beads for the 315/75/16's

Currently they dont have any weights and shake on the road......What do i have to lose except for $150. If they work--it will be money well spent.....

Not to mention there arent many shops around here that have the special Lug Centric Adapter for Yota wheels

"Wheel" let you know how they turn out in a couple weeks-----hah-hahah
Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM

the air soft BB's at walmart around here aren't cheap...like $15 for 1000 or 2000, hell i can get all my tires balanced for like $20...seems kinda pointless to me lol

so like $60-$80 for air soft bb's to balance my tires....or $20 to have a shop do it with normal weights...hmmmm...i think i'll go with a shop lol
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM

I chunk tires when wheeling.... so they will become unbalanced.

This way it is constantly balanced....
Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 PM

jeez you're expensive LMAO
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

use the dyna beads, I used them in my 88 with 34" LTB's with not a single wobble. i also use them in my street bike and my wifes car. absolutly kick ass...
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM

How about jelly belly's?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

are you being serious......jelly belly's...wtf
Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 PM

My tractor's rear wheels are about 2/3rds full of antifreeze, but somehow I don't think it has much to do with wheel balance as it does with adding a crap-load of weight as a counterbalance for the loader and for getting the right amount of traction while ploughing. When I get it up to it's top speed of 35km/h though, it does ride pretty smoothly, for something that rumbles and bumps around just for the sake of rumbling and bumping around.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM

beads

running them in my 35 BFG's, I LOVE EM! they are great! highly recommended.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
This technique didn't work at all. I had them installed in a set of 285 Cooper STT's with no good results.

Aaron
You know I was rethinking this idea a week ago and came to the conclusion I wasn't using enough beads. What is the oz per tire per size recommended. I think the beads are sold with a liquid volume on the label and not weight. My dad has some knarly ass BFG MT's on hid DC and they are all over the place.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Anyone running the old Air Soft bb's in the tire trick...???