Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geminiroq
Where is a good place to get these LED's?

Also...is the MR2 alternator a plug and play...and from what years?

Optioins are good when it comes to building these rigs.

Thank you,
not quite plug and play, you need to do some custom bracket work and some fiddly wiring, but worth it? I sure think so. Read the linked pages on this thread carefully for the modifications needed, but it doesn't seem to be anything major. Thanks for the bumpage, this project just made it on to my short list!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by geminiroq
Where is a good place to get these LED's?

Also...is the MR2 alternator a plug and play...and from what years?

Optioins are good when it comes to building these rigs.

Thank you,
www.superbrightleds.com is one source there are others see any of the many LED light conversion threads here for more info.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Thread necromancy!

Anyone have any comments/reliability reports for their rebuilt alternators? I've been searching quite a bit and it seems like the outsourced ones are either great or terrible depending on.. the alignment of the stars, whathaveyou.

I'm thinking of going with the Mobi-Arc 90A Stator kit because it's cheap, seems reliable, and you get to do all the work yourself. Would be curious to know how much amperage it puts out at idle and 3k RPM if anyone knows.

If anyone has any recent alternator comments let us know!

Last edited by vsi1600; 04-10-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out ebay, i bought a 160 amp alternator for my 86 4Runner. I can`t remember what i paid for it, but its a rebuilt toyota alternator, so its a direct swap for the stock alternator. Once the weather gets better i will get it installed.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vsi1600
Thread necromancy!

Anyone have any comments/reliability reports for their rebuilt alternators? I've been searching quite a bit and it seems like the outsourced ones are either great or terrible depending on.. the alignment of the stars, whathaveyou.

I'm thinking of going with the Mobi-Arc 90A Stator kit because it's cheap, seems reliable, and you get to do all the work yourself. Would be curious to know how much amperage it puts out at idle and 3k RPM if anyone knows.

If anyone has any recent alternator comments let us know!
I have only had mine in for a month, so, not a big data point on long term reliability. It is an AES 140 amp alternator. My install made it into the tech section:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...nstall-206450/
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
I have only had mine in for a month, so, not a big data point on long term reliability. It is an AES 140 amp alternator. My install made it into the tech section:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...nstall-206450/
I read your thread a few days ago Mike, (nice wiring upgrades ) and was pretty gungho about using AES until I read some really nasty feedback for them that came up in a Google search..... May or may not be true, but if I send it to someone I definitely want to find a place that is verified time and time again. I would be really curious to see what kind of readings you get if you hook up a meter to it and drive it around for a while.

If nothing else they use good packing right?

Numbers aside, the main thing I am looking for is reliability. I would honestly rather upgrade to 90A and have no issues than 100something and have possible output fluctuation or failure. My rig is destined for the bush in Alaska one day, once everything has been gone through.. and I don't want any problems!

A friend of mine told me something about cheap alternators on eBay but haven't turned up anything yet. Leaning towards trying to get a beefier stator from a reputable manufacturer and changing it myself, atm.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vsi1600
I read your thread a few days ago Mike, (nice wiring upgrades ) and was pretty gungho about using AES until I read some really nasty feedback for them that came up in a Google search..... May or may not be true, but if I send it to someone I definitely want to find a place that is verified time and time again. I would be really curious to see what kind of readings you get if you hook up a meter to it and drive it around for a while.

If nothing else they use good packing right?

Numbers aside, the main thing I am looking for is reliability. I would honestly rather upgrade to 90A and have no issues than 100something and have possible output fluctuation or failure. My rig is destined for the bush in Alaska one day, once everything has been gone through.. and I don't want any problems!

A friend of mine told me something about cheap alternators on eBay but haven't turned up anything yet. Leaning towards trying to get a beefier stator from a reputable manufacturer and changing it myself, atm.
That is a good idea on hooking up a meter to it while driving, I will look into that.

Do you have a link to the info you found on the web that was negative about AES? I searched a bit on them before I bought one and found things about a place in Texas, but not much about the AES in San Diego. Also, you do not have to send yours to AES, they will rebuild a core that they have in stock. That was one reason I went with them, I can keep my stock unit on the shelf.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
That is a good idea on hooking up a meter to it while driving, I will look into that.

Do you have a link to the info you found on the web that was negative about AES? I searched a bit on them before I bought one and found things about a place in Texas, but not much about the AES in San Diego. Also, you do not have to send yours to AES, they will rebuild a core that they have in stock. That was one reason I went with them, I can keep my stock unit on the shelf.
PM'd you the link. No way of knowing it it's true or not, otherwise I would have posted it here.

Any day now I'll be getting a new alternator in the mail from DeathCougar, so sending in a core is no problem. With another car that has been costing a ton of money, anything that keeps the cost down is great. The alternator that's in my pickup charges fine, even though it has a dead regulator, so a couple of idiot lights are always on. Very strange, but hopefully it will keep charging until I get the new one rebuilt...