Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alternator question

My alternator is intermittently not charging. When it’s real cold in the morning my gauge says 12v and the lights are dim, blower fan barely turns, then after I drive for a bit and the engine gets up to temp the belt will squeal real bad and it’ll start charging again. Should I swap in a new one? Also occasionally does it when warm, idle will drop and the belt will squeal and the volt gauge will bounce around, then go back up to where it’s supposed to be. Belts are old, but that shouldn’t cause intermittent charging without also producing some kind of squeal right?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Here's what I'd do, in order:
- Make sure your cables to the battery & alternator aren't frayed or loose. Fix as req'd.
- Make sure the belts are tight. Adjust as req'd.
- Replace belts that show any cracks (but that won't fix your issue)
- Make sure you don't have a coolant leak onto the alternator -- that'll interfere with its operation

If after that you still have issues, if the alternator is old (please, always tell us what truck model/year/engine/transmission you have), then likely it needs brushes. You can replace them (it's fairly easy), or just swap alternators.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Parker (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
O'Reilly autozone Napa
all should be able to test your alternator. For free.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by horunner1x
..., then after I drive for a bit and the engine gets up to temp the belt will squeal real bad and it’ll start charging again. ...
Make sure your alternator belt is tight enough to turn the alternator. This is trivial to check; on a cold day when your voltage gauge reads less than 13v, pop the hood and look. If the belt is loose, it might not turn the alternator until it warms up, then it will squeal as it's trying to get a grip. Also, your alternator could then check out fine at the store.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:12 AM

It's kinda ironic to me that one of the most fluid sensitive, and vulnerable components in the engine bay is placed DOWN where almost any fluid leak goes right into the vents on the alternator...I wonder sometimes if engineers own stock in replacement part companies.
I've fried about 4 of them, alternators not engineers lol... Fortunately the rebuilt replacement has a lifetime warranty... ok I'm I'll get off my soap box lol.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:42 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
We often commented about the wisdom of the cup holders right above or in front of the radio. Took them way too long to redesign.

if you do replace the alternator I’d hang onto the core if it’s a Denso unit. At least for a few months.

Last edited by Jimkola; 01-27-2021 at 08:45 AM.
old87yota (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jimkola
We often commented about the wisdom of the cup holders right above or in front of the radio. Took them way too long to redesign.

if you do replace the alternator I’d hang onto the core if it’s a Denso unit. At least for a few months.
went through all the wires, checked everything with a volt meter, and everything pointed to the alternator so I just swapped it for a Napa unit. Fired right up this morning, no squeal, no bouncy volt meter, and I even got to have heat on my drive to work this morning. I do have the original denso alternator with 300k miles on it. Why hang onto the core?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 AM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by 87-4runner
It's kinda ironic to me that one of the most fluid sensitive, and vulnerable components in the engine bay is placed DOWN where almost any fluid leak goes right into the vents on the alternator...I wonder sometimes if engineers own stock in replacement part companies.
I've fried about 4 of them, alternators not engineers lol... Fortunately the rebuilt replacement has a lifetime warranty... ok I'm I'll get off my soap box lol.
To be fair though, there should be NO fluids leaking...

The following 4 users liked this post by old87yota:
Blueman (01-27-2021), Melrose 4r (01-27-2021), millball (01-27-2021), SomedayJ (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Lol true a couple weren't my fault...
blown radiator hose...
front seal went out and covered it with oil
The PS pump leaking is on me...
Carwash and not covering the alternator was on me too...drrrr.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:01 PM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
I’d hang on to the core just in case there’s issues with the reman. If you feel good already than go ahead and return.
old87yota (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jimkola
I’d hang on to the core just in case there’s issues with the reman. If you feel good already than go ahead and return.
ah, I get you. It was fine this morning, gauge read fine and lights were all bright and my heater worked. I noticed the gauge dancing a tiny bit on my drive home, barely moving but it was moving, never noticed it before with the old alternator. This is a 70amp as opposed to the oem manual trans 60amp, don’t know if that makes a difference. Should help a tiny bit when I put the three 100watt hella 4000s for desert trips. I’ll hang on to it for a bit, thanks for letting me know. Was going to get a denso reman from Napa but it would have taken a couple days to get here so I just got their house brand, didn’t wanna even try riding my motorcycle to work in this cold. When this goes I’ll get a denso reman.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:32 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
...Why hang onto the core?
Because, typically, when you buy a rebuilt alternator, you will be charged for "core" which and refunded when you turn in your old alternator. Did you buy brand-new NAPA and did it not have a core charge?
Old 01-28-2021, 04:22 AM

I don't think "brand new" is an option
but they do have a lifetime warranty...
Don't know how they do that on a piece of electronic equipment, but hey.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Because, typically, when you buy a rebuilt alternator, you will be charged for "core" which and refunded when you turn in your old alternator. Did you buy brand-new NAPA and did it not have a core charge?
no they don’t offer a “brand new” at my local napa. I got their house brand that’s is the updated version of raylock. Not as good as a denso reman, but half the cost and has a lifetime warrantee. It seems to be fine the past couple days when it’s been low 30s-high 20s which is when the old one was failing. Now I’m getting a weird “zing” noise directly after I let off the key on cold startups so I think the starter is going out now too lol. Original Toyota with 300k miles on it.
RAD4Runner (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
... Now I’m getting a weird “zing” noise directly after I let off the key on cold startups so I think the starter is going out now too lol.....
I would take out and inspect for binding and excessive wear on gear. Also good time to replace the contact points.
5 Fists (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Seriously, one should always go with Denso Reman for the extra price. Anything else is going to likely waste time having to pull it out and take it back to the store. It's not the most difficult alternator to get to, but still, how much is one's time worth? Anything non-oem with alternators these days is usually a losing gamble that it will last a long time. I have a Denso reman in my 1993 22re that's over 100,000 miles on the alt and runs perfect.

If you can send back the core for refund on the core charge, McGeorge has reman toyota alternators for much cheaper than NAPA. Not sure if this is the exact part number for your rig, but still gives an idea of price of $170.

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D
RAD4Runner (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoDerp
Seriously, one should always go with Denso Reman for the extra price. Anything else is going to likely waste time having to pull it out and take it back to the store. It's not the most difficult alternator to get to, but still, how much is one's time worth? Anything non-oem with alternators these days is usually a losing gamble that it will last a long time. I have a Denso reman in my 1993 22re that's over 100,000 miles on the alt and runs perfect.

If you can send back the core for refund on the core charge, McGeorge has reman toyota alternators for much cheaper than NAPA. Not sure if this is the exact part number for your rig, but still gives an idea of price of $170.

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D
I would have done the denso reman if it were in stock. My local Napa has them for the same $180 with core charge so not much of a difference in price.
RAD4Runner (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:33 AM

I'm really spoiled... we have a starter/ alternator shop in my home town that's awesome at rebuilding OEM parts... when he can, sometimes it just isn't possible though or cheaper to just get a reman with a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 87-4runner
I'm really spoiled... we have a starter/ alternator shop in my home town that's awesome at rebuilding OEM parts... when he can, sometimes it just isn't possible though or cheaper to just get a reman with a lifetime warranty.
same here, I think I’m gonna take my denso to him instead of returning it for the $50.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:48 AM

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Most of the time it's brushes, and that's a fairly easy fix if you're handy enough to have removed the alternator in the first place.

Quick Reply: Alternator question