Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Almost crashed at 60mph!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No need to slow down. Just get some studded and/or siped winter tires off craigslist. F*** s before trucks, man. Especially when you're 18.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 11-12-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im surprised you have not been told this before

STOP DRIVING LIKE AN ASS

It gives us all a bad name..
Good tires will help, especially coming into the winter months...
Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

its nice to see he owned up to his mistake and has taken the suggestions/criticism well. there is hope for the younger generation!

lee
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In a 2wd yota right foot finesse is critical when turning corners especially on wet pavement. My friends had 2wd's and all were prone to rear end sliding. Longer wheel base vehicles have less of this issue as you found in your other truck.

Add some weight to the back and it will help.

Find a wide open place to practice so you'll be ready if this happens unexpectedly. Even driving slow a patch of oil or accidental blip of the throttle will send you sliding on wet roads. Nothing but good old practice will teach you how to react when there isn't time to think.

Frank
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
personally i like bags of soil/compost instead of sandbags. i like them because they have more surface area to disperse their weight. also they help to grow me some tasty veggies when i'm done with them in the truck.

if it were me in that situation, i'd have let her crash and then go buy a 4wd

hope the girl helped you to "calm down" after the ordeal
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
That's going to make one hell of an armour-piercing projectile if he hit something. Best go for sandbags, they just burst when they hit something, though I'd still tie them down.
I guess I should have mentioned that it has a 3/4" plywood frame that fits between the wheel wells and back edge of the bed that the metal sits in a cut out. It keeps the metal from sliding around. It than has a metal strap that runs over the top of it. Between that and a rubber matt, it has never moved even during winter wheeling.

Right now though the hunk of steel is between trucks, not needed in my Tahoe or my Trekker.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Seriusly... extra weight is needed in winter driving, especially in a truck since the fronts are so heavy, and rear is fairly light.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks guys. I definitely need to slow down. I'm curious to see the "actual" rear weight of my truck...I might just go ahead and weigh it today...and take some pics of where I slid out.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a little unclear, but did you slide because it was wet, or because it was snowy?

If you're going to be driving it in the snow often, I would HIGHLY suggest getting a good set of winter tires. They will make a world of difference.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

I still want to see a pic of the chick!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
+1, so do i!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dident notice if anyone else said this but if your in a slide on a wet or snowy road DON'T HIT THE BREAKS! it can send you around doing 360's down the middle of the road faster than you can blink. you can push in the cluch this gives your wheels the best chance of regaining traction as you try to steer out of it. you want to steer the wheel in the dirrection that your back end is sliding too it takes alot of finness to keep from over stearing but the best thing to do is slow down so you dont slide in the first place!

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 11-12-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
I'm a little unclear, but did you slide because it was wet, or because it was snowy?

If you're going to be driving it in the snow often, I would HIGHLY suggest getting a good set of winter tires. They will make a world of difference.
It was wet.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
i dident notice if anyone else said this but if your in a slide on a wet or snowy road DON'T HIT THE BREAKS! it can send you around doing 360's down the middle of the road faster than you can blink. you can push in the cluch this gives your wheels the best chance of regaining traction as you try to steer out of it. you want to steer the wheel in the dirrection that your back end is sliding too it takes alot of finness to keep from over stearing but the best thing to do is slow down so you dont slide in the first place!
Yeah....I screwed up...but I didn't want to hit the guard rail and I didn't want to continue my slide and completely fly off the road. Everything worked out alright Lesson learned...I'll me driving slower now.

Oh btw - I've pushed the limits of this truck before. I've taken corners as fast as my truck can possibly go and turning as sharp and the tires will "give out" and I'll lose control. I like to know the limits of everything
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM

I don't want to put a picture of her on here. Sorry
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Wich on ramp??? I know that coming off of that highway on one of the northern Salem exits heading onto i-5 north I got my old MKII Jetta doing 100 around and onto the freeway with 3 hondas trying SOOOOOOOO hard to catch me I can only imagine trying that ina 2wd p/u with nothing in the bed... SCARRY...

but hey, I was about 18 when I did that so you've gotta learn somehow, just try not to kill anyone else no seriously I may be getting on with Salem Fire sometime in teh enar future, and if I find a white 2wd Toyota smashed to bits I'll not be too happy with seeing a board member hurt...

Cheers

Dave
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I don't want to put a picture of her on here. Sorry
you can pm it to me.

sorry, back on topic:

screw the sandbags and fertilizer in the back. put a nice shell, roll cage and padded carpet kit in the back with a pass-thru rear window... oh wait... then it wouldn't be screwing the sandbags and fertilizer... would it?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
Wich on ramp??? I know that coming off of that highway on one of the northern Salem exits heading onto i-5 north I got my old MKII Jetta doing 100 around and onto the freeway with 3 hondas trying SOOOOOOOO hard to catch me I can only imagine trying that ina 2wd p/u with nothing in the bed... SCARRY...

but hey, I was about 18 when I did that so you've gotta learn somehow, just try not to kill anyone else no seriously I may be getting on with Salem Fire sometime in teh enar future, and if I find a white 2wd Toyota smashed to bits I'll not be too happy with seeing a board member hurt...

Cheers

Dave
Hey! Thats great. I'm sure you'll see me around since I work at a Safeway gas station and see fire trucks pass a lot. lol.

Don't worry...I won't kill myself. haha

See you around!

you can pm it to me.

sorry, back on topic:

screw the sandbags and fertilizer in the back. put a nice shell, roll cage and padded carpet kit in the back with a pass-thru rear window... oh wait... then it wouldn't be screwing the sandbags and fertilizer... would it?
Okay...fine I'll send you a pic. haha

I want a canopy (shell) for my truck anyway. But I don't want a crappy metal one that looks like crap. I want a white fiberglass one MADE for my truck.

I can get the rear end to slide out with my 250lb dirtbike in my bed...don't think much is going to help