Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

For all those frustrated 3.0 v6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it was based on a chevy, well at least a chevy motor. thats why people just drop a 350 v8 in them pretty easily. and if you dint think a land cruiser is tough, lay a rear land cruiser axle on the ground, and put a dana 70 beside, difference? the cruiseres pumpkin is offset to one side and it has drum brakes. they are the same thicknes, and i know a guy who is building a buggy with land cruiser axles, a 22r with propane and other goodies, and dual T cases. its gonna be amazing when he is done lol. anyways, how did we go from the 3.slow to debating about the land cruiser?
Back on topic!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Correct you are. It's overall design was actually based on the Willys Jeep, which is nearly identical to the Ford GPW(not a Chevy).

Toyota F series engines are OHV inline 6 cylinders. Which doesn't really make swapping in a 350, or any other V8, much more easy than doing so in any of Toyota's early 4WD trucks/SUVs. You can fit a V8 in any of them. As many people have.

The F engine block, crankshaft and lower end assembly is loosely based on the 1939-63 G.M.C. L6 OHV 228 OHV engine but with a taller deck (rather than the similar but smaller Chevrolet 1937-63 Gen-2 L6 OHV engine), and built under license. The cylinder head and combustion chamber is derived from the Chevrolet L6 OHV "stovebolt" engine, slightly scaled up. The general idea was consumers would feel comfortable with the engine since it was a familiar design and had a proven track record. None of the bottom end of the engine is interchangeable with these engines.

The F engine replaced the early 3.4 liter B gasoline engine introduced in 1937 (not to be confused with the 2.9 liter B diesel engine introduced much later). The early B engine was based on the original 1929-36 Chevrolet Gen-1 207 inline-6, not the later 1937-63 Gen-2 216, 235 etc. engine.
Class dismissed!

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-04-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drunner your funny ! If it wasnt chey it was jeep, I remember my grandpa telling me the usa gave janan rights to certian things to help rebuild the country after we about nuked it off the map. I knowing that is a crime so be it, its just simple history. I heard the 22R or 20R was baised on jeep, doesnt mean I like it more or less I LOVE ALL 5 OF MY TOYOTA TRUCKS !
Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Misread the post, disregard my comment

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 11-04-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Misread the post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM

i know the cruisers had the inline 6, i just heard of people swapping in a chevy 350 fairly easy because they would bolt straight to the transmission since the original motor was chevy. correct me if im wrong. Mudhippy knows his landcruisers!!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

The landcruiser is not based on a chevy. Yes it started life as a jeep (pretty much). The 22r is not a jeep motor. Also people drop chevy 350 in just about every thing from RX-7s to celicas does this mean all these vehicles are "based" on chevy? No they are not. Most people do 350 swaps cause they are ease to find and cheap for parts. I am sure that when my brother did his swap in his fj45 that his 350 did NOT bolt right up he had to buy an adapter.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Well Im not perfect but there was some toyota /chevy history, and yes grand pa didnt have it totally right but he didnt have anything but newpapers and word of mouth either, no internet. As for those of you that are rude, you need to grow up....when your perfect walk on water and show us all how great you are . Untill then try a little common or un common curitsy in your case, it will go a long way in helping you to grow up and play nice with others !

:Toyota Type A engine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
The Type A engine was a straight-6 engine produced from 1935 through 1947 by Toyota.

The Type B was a technically more advanced version of the Type A.

The Type C was a straight-4 engine derived from the Type A.

Many parts were interchangeable between the Type A, Type B and Type C engines (e.g. pistons, valves, rods). Many of the same parts were also interchangeable with the Chevrolet Stovebolt engine, from which it was derived.

Contents [hide]
1 Type A
1.1 Applications
2 Type B

[edit] Type A
Type A
Manufacturer Toyota
Successor Type B
Displacement 3,389 cc (3.4 L; 206.8 cu in)
Cylinder bore 84.1 mm (3.3 in)
Piston stroke 101.6 mm (4.0 in)
Cylinder block alloy iron
Cylinder head alloy iron
Valvetrain OHV
Fuel system carburettor
Fuel type petrol (gasoline)
Power output 62 HP

The Type A engine was Toyota's first production engine, being produced from 1935 through 1947.

This engine was a 3,389 cc (3.4 L; 206.8 cu in) pushrod, overhead valve, 6-cylinder, 3 bearing engine copied from the 1929-36 Chevrolet Gen-1 3 bearing Stovebolt L6 OHV engine. It produced 62 HP (the Chevrolet engine produced 60HP) by virtue of a modified intake manifold. GM used a number of local Japanese suppliers for the smaller engine parts (e.g. carburettors). Toyota was able to use the same suppliers for its cars. The parts were identical enough that pistons, rods, valves, etc. could be used in both the Chevrolet and Toyota engines interchangeably. There are several recorded instances of parts intended for one being used to repair the other.[1]

Toyota had initially considered copying the Ford flathead V8 because it was the most popular engine in Japan at the time. However, the machining of 2 separate banks of cylinders would add too much to the production cost, so the Chevrolet engine was copied instead.[1]

Other references to the Chevy engine claim different power figures. It must be remembered that different manufactures used different measuring techniques (e.g. with or without the generator/alternator connected), engines differed from year to year and that some manufacturers simply lied. In this case, Toyota did back to back comparisons using the same techniques, so it is likely that the Toyota engine did in fact produce slightly more power than the Chevy engine on which it was based. It must also be remembered that the Chevy engine was likely to be a year or two old, so the current Chevy engine may have produced even more power.

[edit] Applications
A1 prototype car,
AA sedan
AB cabriolet
G1 truck
GA truck
[edit] Type B
Type B Manufacturer Toyota
Production 1937 to 1955
Predecessor Type A
Successor Type F
Displacement 3,389 cc (3.4 L; 206.8 cu in)
Cylinder bore 84.1 mm (3.3 in)[2]
Piston stroke 101.6 mm (4.0 in)[2]
Cylinder block alloy iron
Cylinder head alloy iron
Valvetrain OHV
Compression ratio 6.4[2]
Fuel system carburettor
Fuel type petrol (gasoline)
Power output 62 HP

The 3,389 cc (3.4 L; 206.8 cu in) Type B was produced from 1937 through 1955 as a more technically advanced version of the Type A. The design was based on the Chevrolet 207 engine, and built under license but with metric dimensions and minor revisions to suit the local market. It had a 4 bearing crank and shaft-mounted rocker arms, as did the Chevrolet engine.

The Type B was succeeded by the similar 3.9 L Type F in 1955. The Type F is based on the larger G.M.C. 1939-63 L6 OHV engine in the same way that the Type A and Type B were based on the Chevrolet engines of their times.

An unrelated 4 cylinder diesel engine introduced in the 1970s was also called the Type B.

Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Toyota Type A engine

[edit] References
1.^ a b "Japan's Toyota with Stovebolts", Bob Hall, in "Special-Interest Autos", Mar-Apr 1977
2.^ a b c Toyota Land Cruiser Data Library
3.^ a b c "The Japanese Automobile Industry: Technology and Management at Nissan & Toyota", Michael Cusumano, Cambridge (Mass.) & London: The Harvard Univ. Press, 1985, ISBN 067447256X

Print/export
Create a bookDownload as PDFPrintable version
Languages
日本語This page was last modified on 23 May 2010 at 22:11.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.

Contact us
Privacy policyAbout WikipediaDisclaimers

Last edited by irontoys1; 11-06-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

the above shows chevy was copied by toyota, not ford...imagain that, maybe try taking a little of your own advise mudhippy and look up information before you make "blatantly ignorant comments"....you dont walk on water so well after all ! heres your own words mudhippy "It's overall design was actually based on the Willys Jeep, which is nearly identical to the Ford GPW(not a Chevy)."

Last edited by irontoys1; 11-06-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by irontoys1
maybe try taking a little of your own advise mudhippy and look up information before you make "blatantly ignorant comments"....you dont walk on water so well after all ! heres your own words mudhippy "It's overall design was actually based on the Willys Jeep, which is nearly identical to the Ford GPW(not a Chevy)."
Excuse me? And that's wrong how exactly?
1950 - The Korean War created demand for a military light utility vehicle. The war put a Jeep on Japan's doorstep. The United States government ordered 100 vehicles with the new Willys specs and Toyota was asked to build them.

1951 - The Toyota "Jeep" BJ prototype was developed in January 1951. This came from the demand for military-type utility vehicles, much like the British Land Rover Series 1 that appeared in 1948.
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
it was based on a chevy, well at least a chevy motor.
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Correct you are. It's overall design was actually based on the Willys Jeep, which is nearly identical to the Ford GPW(not a Chevy).
I plainly stated that what he was saying was correct. It WAS based on a Chevy, THE MOTOR! NOT THE VEHICLE! GET IT? CHEVY NEVER MADE JEEPS! EVER! I then quoted information PROVING the fact that the engines were based on G.M.C./Chevy designs.
The F engine block, crankshaft and lower end assembly is loosely based on the 1939-63 G.M.C. L6 OHV 228 OHV engine but with a taller deck (rather than the similar but smaller Chevrolet 1937-63 Gen-2 L6 OHV engine), and built under license. The cylinder head and combustion chamber is derived from the Chevrolet L6 OHV "stovebolt" engine, slightly scaled up. The general idea was consumers would feel comfortable with the engine since it was a familiar design and had a proven track record. None of the bottom end of the engine is interchangeable with these engines.

The F engine replaced the early 3.4 liter B gasoline engine introduced in 1937 (not to be confused with the 2.9 liter B diesel engine introduced much later). The early B engine was based on the original 1929-36 Chevrolet Gen-1 207 inline-6, not the later 1937-63 Gen-2 216, 235 etc. engine.
You obviously don't understand the proper usage of the english language so well.

Ancient Chinese proverb says:
"It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
If your desire is to win some kind of intellectual battle, you've chosen the wrong opponent. Many have tried, ALL HAVE FAILED! I don't speak on subjects that I have no mastery of.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM

I once seen a story on the internet that said bigfoot shot and captured by 2 ex cops. Just because you find somthing on the internet does not mean its true. The Landcruiser was based on a JEEP not chevy. Do some good research not just google "toyota copied chevy". Call some landcruiser shops or get some books on this stuff. No body was trying to be rude just telling you you were missinformed.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Thank you Drunner, yes I miss spoke to a degree....but I knew some toyota stuff was copied form chevy, and that was the only point I was actually trying to make, and that was correct. I realize that there was other information that needed to be considered I shouldnt have made such a broad statement.
Thanks again for a decent civil reply, and by the way nice truck brother.

Last edited by irontoys1; 11-06-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 PM

It's too bad Toyota chose to underbuild this block. The early 90's Camry had a 3.0l that pushed the 200hp range built on the same block and crank. It was a rare import to N.A. for about 2 years at best.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Holy off topic thread batman!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by macktowninmate
It's too bad Toyota chose to underbuild this block.
Big time BS!

Don't make me....

FYI, the 3VZE block is plenty strong enough to handle 400+ HP. Without any mods to it. It's been done plenty of times. It's actually got a bonafide "bullet proof" bottom end. Way more so than the 22RE. There's nothing "underbuilt" about it! And don't even start with the "what about the connecting rods" jive. That's as big of an internet myth as there can be. PROVE IT! Crankshaft, connecting rod, bearing failures are practically unheard of in a properly maintained 3VZE.

I'm warning you, and I'm dead-serious. DROP IT! LEAVE IT BE! There's plenty of proof out there to back-up what I'm saying. I'd suggest you find it on your own. Because if I have to point it out to you myself, I gonna be pissed!

Where'd you run off to lately Toysrme? I could really use your help right about now. This talking bad about the 3VZE crap is really starting to get under my skin!
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
Holy off topic thread batman!!!!
Hey now!

I didn't start that nonsense. But I surely put an end to it did I not?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:55 PM

My 3.slow is a dead stick on the pavement ut i wouldn't trade it for anything once she gets in the muck.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM

yes you did!!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by phenob
my 3.0 is like life: sometimes you've got the mind and the means to swap it out the way you'd like. other times, whether for curiosity, necessity, pride, or love, you just roll with what you have. even if it blows up every few years.
Just ran across this, and wow. LMAO! Thats poetry, thank you phenob!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Big time BS!

Don't make me....

FYI, the 3VZE block is plenty strong enough to handle 400+ HP. Without any mods to it. It's been done plenty of times. It's actually got a bonafide "bullet proof" bottom end. Way more so than the 22RE. There's nothing "underbuilt" about it! And don't even start with the "what about the connecting rods" jive. That's as big of an internet myth as there can be. PROVE IT! Crankshaft, connecting rod, bearing failures are practically unheard of in a properly maintained 3VZE.

I'm warning you, and I'm dead-serious. DROP IT! LEAVE IT BE! There's plenty of proof out there to back-up what I'm saying. I'd suggest you find it on your own. Because if I have to point it out to you myself, I gonna be pissed!

Where'd you run off to lately Toysrme? I could really use your help right about now. This talking bad about the 3VZE crap is really starting to get under my skin!
Hey now!

so how would one go about building a 3vze into a higher hp engine? this is a serious question, not me being a sarcastic dick.

Im very interested becaus i really dont want to get rid of a 3vze with less than 10k on a full rebuild but id really like more [power
Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Two words. Forced induction.
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=10920

You could have also just googled 400 HP 3VZE to find that out.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...4d4952ba7de3c9

Also keep in mind that it's no different than any other engine. What adds power to those will also add power to it. Meaning how do you build a higher HP anything? They're called mods! DUH!

Now please, that's enough. No more silly questions. That's been answered so many times it's stupid. SEARCH and ye shall find!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Two words. Forced induction.
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=10920

You could have also just googled 400 HP 3VZE to find that out.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...4d4952ba7de3c9

Also keep in mind that it's no different than any other engine. What adds power to those will also add power to it. Meaning how do you build a higher HP anything? They're called mods! DUH!

Now please, that's enough. No more silly questions. That's been answered so many times it's stupid. SEARCH and ye shall find!
YEa your an awesome help. obviously the same things add power but many of the typical "mods" arent available for the 3vze. Hence the question.

Quick Reply: For all those frustrated 3.0 v6 owners