Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Air fuel issue (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I got bud, thank ya I really appreciate it. It idled a little high without my tps sensor, but it ran great. It idled around 3-400 with it plugged in. Never had an issue at all...until now. That's what I get for being stupid. Rule of thumb, never be the first one to go through water and if you are...check the depth first
Old 03-19-2017, 03:18 PM

So I stopped at O'Reillys to see if their codes matched my codes. Took the dude like 30 minutes to figure out how to turn it on and read the codes. His fancy machine took 10 minutes to tell me that no codes were present...but as soon as he plugged it in my truck was reading me the code lol.

But now, the only code it's showing is 31, VAF.
would a bad air flow valve be enough to cause it to run this bad when it warms up?
I'm leaning towards yes.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes sir. When I bought mine, some idiot had accidentally ripped the afm out of the housing by trying to remove the sensor part. On mine, it's all one part. It ran like garbage when I finally got it cranked,,especially when accelerating . I had to go back to the owner's place at four in the morning, start it up and run every red light and stop sign on my way home with it. For some reason it would run well enough to drive at 2000 rpm.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:13 PM

I'm going to check the resistance in it tomorrow, I got the diagram of the afm connector pinouts so it shouldn't take me long. I think my issue will be the temperature resistance since it does it only does it when it's hot.

Do you know if that's when I should test it? In the 100°+ range or will it read bad even if I test it at 30°- 60°? Wouldn't I have to test it on the truck in order to get an accurate reading?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

You should be able to do the AFM any time. What's happening is that your engine is kind of running on a set of instructions that are preset in it's brain until it reaches operating temp. After that, the ecm starts doing the thinking and adjusting based on the input from the sensors.

As far as being on the truck, you should be able to do it either way. You are measuring resistance so it's just like any other switch or sensor. Double check that though. I don't want to steer you wrong.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Solution Found:
I pulled the afm and checked every pin. Two were reading bad so I decided to clean the pins off. I pulled the two screws holding it on the actual unit and cleaned the goop off the connections inside. The grease obviously mixed with some water and it spread itself everywhere over 3 different pins.
Then a heat gun was used to dry out any remaining water.

I checked the pins again and got good readings on every one. Plugged it back in truck and let it run for about 20 minutes so it could warm up. Hit the throttle and it didn't bog down at all. Took it on a 10 minute test drive and she's good as new.

Connections were dirty a corroded. That was it. Glad I checked the sensors first lol.

Thanks for all your help Charchee. I'll try and report back in a few days to let ya know if it's still going.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM

That's what I'm talking about! Funny, I was under the impression that pulling that part out of the unit was a death sentence for the whole part. I know I've been told that and when I found my Runner. That's exactly what had happened when someone had tried just what you did.

Glad you got it running. I bet you learned some stuff in the process. Nice work.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM

When this issue came about, knowing I had gotten every single sensor, injector, fuse, ecu.....everything...and I do mean everything wet (for 15-20 minutes completely under water)
I thought my motor would've seized....it didn't
I thought my ecu was fried.....it wasn't
I thought my injectors were clogged....they weren't
I thought my fuel pump and/or filter was bad.....nope
I thought the timing could've been off....no sir
Obviously I thought the worst. I've worked on much worse....but water damage is completely different...it affects things completely different.

there was so many variables that I figured I'd just go ahead and ask a question. Hoping someone else has done the same thing and had an exact answer w/o me pulling every sensor/intake/exhaust.

I can't thank you enough Charchee

Last edited by XSiKassCiViCx; 03-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM

22REs are indestructible
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You were quite lucky !!

Glad you got off as easy as you did.

Perhaps buy a boat for your future water adventures
Old 03-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Well it's been a about a week and I've probably only put 100 miles on it, but it seems as if that was the issue. Haven't had a problem with it. I did go ahead and get some electronic cleaner and sprayed all the sensors pins.