Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC Repair on 1993 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Repair on 1993 3vze

Hi Everyone,

I'm finishing up a head gasket job on my 93 pickup with 3vze (reading this forum has been super helpful) and decided to fix the AC system. Years ago, I had a leaky battery cell that dripped acid onto the high pressure line running from the firewall to the front of the truck. During the tear down for the head gaskets I removed the line from the compressor and didn't know enough at the time to plug it, so the compressor has now been sitting open for quite awhile. This is my first go-round with car AC, so apologies if any of this is basic knowledge. I've searched for similar threads but haven't found anything specific to my situation.

I ordered a kit from rock auto with a new receiver, expansion valve, PAG oil, and o-rings, and removed the lines to prepare to flush everything out. Then I thought I should replace the compressor. The one that was in my truck is a different part number than the replacement I'm finding online, but all the parts stores say it will fit. It's a Denso, part number 471-1142 (picture attached). The one that came off my truck is 147200? Unable to find that part number anywhere. What's confusing me is the service port on the top plate in the picture (I'm assuming you remove that and attach the top piece with the line connections from the old compressor). My old compressor doesn't have a service port there, just a what looks like it might be an oil fill hole when I remove the top part with the connections. Or maybe it's not a service port, but a plug that comes off with that top plate?

The new compressor comes pre-filled with mineral oil compatible with R12. My system was converted to R134 before I had the truck.

My other question is would I drain the oil when I receive the new compressor and flush it out a couple times with PAG? I don't see a drain plug or anything, my guess would be to remove the top cover with the line connections and just turn it upside down? Anyone dealt with this before?

TIA for any advice, and let me know if I need to post more info/pics

Old 07-07-2024, 07:54 AM
YT Community Team

Received 888 Likes on 634 Posts
Denso shows the 471-1142 as being the one for your truck. Maybe a picture of your old one would be helpful.
Reman ac compressors don’t typically come with the ports where your pressure hoses connect. So the ports on your old one would have to fit the new reman or you’re gonna have a problem.
if you do get a reman that was intended for R12 you can drain the oil, then flush with rubbing alcohol. I’d flush all the lines with rubbing alcohol, evap and condenser, too.
R134 isn’t like R12 when you recharge. In R12 you’re not supposed to have any visible bubbles in system. With R134 you will. That’s why receiver drier built for R134 systems don’t have a sight glass.

do you know which state this vehicle was sold in when new?
Old 07-07-2024, 11:18 PM

Thanks, good to know the oil won't be a problem. I went ahead and ordered the new compressor from Amazon, quick shipping and if the ports don't fit I can return no problem. I'll post pics of the old and the new when I get it in case anyone runs into this in the future.

I'll definitely flush the whole system and replace the expansion valve & receiver also

Last edited by seanzthekid; 07-07-2024 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 02:41 PM

Got the compressor from amazon and the service ports fit perfectly. What looked like a service port is Schrader valve to release pressure that comes off with the cover plate. Now trying to figure out how much ester oil to put in after I drain the ND6. The FSM doesn't have a system capacity, just amounts to add when replacing receiver, evaporator and condenser.
Old 07-14-2024, 02:53 PM
YT Community Team

Originally Posted by seanzthekid
Got the compressor from amazon and the service ports fit perfectly. What looked like a service port is Schrader valve to release pressure that comes off with the cover plate. Now trying to figure out how much ester oil to put in after I drain the ND6. The FSM doesn't have a system capacity, just amounts to add when replacing receiver, evaporator and condenser.

I think the amount given for the compressor should work. I put half the amount in the compressor, the other half in the receiver/drier.

I first read about the putting half in the R/D on another forum by a licensed ac tech. I later order a few Denso components, compressor, expansion valve, and receiver drier. Each Denso component had great instructions included in the box. I think the one with their R/D also mentioned putting half in the R/D. I don't remember which port on the R/D, and I do know they were specific on that. i'll go find their pamphlet and post up today

Last edited by Jimkola; 07-15-2024 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:15 AM
YT Community Team

I was wrong on the amount Denso recommended be added to R/D. The Denso instructions recommended 3/4 of an oz of oil be added to the "OUT" side of the R/D.