Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ABS actuator leaking fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS actuator leaking fix

Hey all, I wanted to contribute a bit as I have recently finished my 5vz swap on my 5 speed '90 SR5 and wanted to give back a bit as for a problem I couldn't find much mention of online anywhere.

After replacing the engine in this beauty (now a 2002 jdm 5vz with 30k miles on it) I wanted to start updating the rest. I redid all my power steering lines and steering gear after finding multiple leaks but what was left was a leaking abs actuator... As you may have guessed I really ˟˟˟˟ the bed and panicked when I realized my PS reservoir was low on a road trip and proceeded to feed it power steering fluid (*screams from people that have owned a Toyota before*) come a week or two later I read that power steering fluid actually isn't what these trucks like... Aaaannd low a behold I evidently managed to ruin my seals. 100$ steering gear, new hoses and trying to tighten the bolts on my abs actuator while in the truck I arrived at the conclusion I needed to deal with the actuator. From what I was able to find the options are
1. Delete abs actuator (what most people tend to go for)
2. Replace actuator.

As I just want to fix the leak and haven't been bothered by my abs at all (some people seem to hate it?) I really don't want to replace the PS hoses/ rerout them and the brake lines so I decided wtf maybe I'll just open this thing up. It seemed to be leaking at the main seam and as I don't need my truck for a few days I decided to open the actuator up before I just ordered some other 30 year old used part that would probably fail too...

Here's the PS line side of the actuator (Inside the main seam)

Cleaned it a bit and you can see the gasket that seems to be something like a sticky piece of wax paper that is definitely disintegrating (it was leaking from the top of the unit)

I'm going to go get some liquid gasket of some kind to re-seal this up after I clean this old crap off of it. The unit seems like it's still in fine condition otherwise and here's hoping I can avoid buying a different part with a little elbow grease!

Any thoughts on what kind of liquid gasket/cement whatever I should use to re seal this. Anything else I should mess with while this abs actuator unit is opened up?

Hope this can be illuminating to some people, as the service manual doesn't even show how to service this unit.

Glory shot
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (12-13-2019)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I have the same problem as you, leak on top of the ABS actuator at the seal. When disassembling, I noticed that the breather was clogged, so I removed the deposit, redid the gasket and reassembled the assembly on the vehicle. During the tests, the leak came from the breather under the actuator. So I reassembled the assembly, rebuilt the gasket and plugged the breather. But while doing this I had a new leak that appeared on the top of the actuator as at the beginning. I wonder if the problem comes from the actuator, wouldn't it be another problem on the power steering system that would increase the pressure?

And questions, does your leak appear when your steering wheel is in the stop position?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Braon
Hi,
I have the same problem as you, leak on top of the ABS actuator at the seal. When disassembling, I noticed that the breather was clogged, so I removed the deposit, redid the gasket and reassembled the assembly on the vehicle. During the tests, the leak came from the breather under the actuator. So I reassembled the assembly, rebuilt the gasket and plugged the breather. But while doing this I had a new leak that appeared on the top of the actuator as at the beginning. I wonder if the problem comes from the actuator, wouldn't it be another problem on the power steering system that would increase the pressure?

And questions, does your leak appear when your steering wheel is in the stop position?
Did you get this fixed? I have a 93 2wd 3r 4runner that is leaking from the breather and I'm about ready to take it out completely?
Old 12-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nicakasper
Did you get this fixed? I have a 93 2wd 3r 4runner that is leaking from the breather and I'm about ready to take it out completely?
Hello, the part is no longer manufactured or on demand at a high price, so I removed it. I don't have any braking problems, I even find it brakes better.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Braon
Hello, the part is no longer manufactured or on demand at a high price, so I removed it. I don't have any braking problems, I even find it brakes better.
Do you remember how you rerouted your brake and power steering lines?