Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'94 DLX stall issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2024 | 12:43 PM

'94 DLX stall issue

I have seen similar issues discussed, nut nothing has resolved for me...

22RE DLX '94 pickup; new engine was built and installed about 4 years back. Within past 6 months, can head out in morning to work ( not doing that employment any longer for what it's worth). When I get to stop sign along the way, it is as if ignition shuts down. Rig stalls with no sputter, just dash lights come on, engine is off. Can restart, it might do it at next stop as well; or might keep going. For the prior job, it was a 20 mile trek up the Santa Cruz CA mountains to the gate of employ. By then engine should be at operating temp I would think. However, sometimes still stalled at the gate. Never seemed to do it at the end of a 10 hour work day on drive home; next day, it would stall out again; thought maybe a colder and moist morning may play a part, but can't prove it..

About 3 years ago, the OEM distributor failed with a signal coil CEL error. I replaced with aftermarket distributor, though recently put a new signal coil in OEM and got it re-installed with new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Still getting the stall.

I spoke to the shop that built the new engine; his suggestion was the IAC, and not to get a cheaper Chinese made product. I had replaced it a few years ago due to surging idle condition, though taking his thoughts, located a Japanese made unit. This has not remedied the situation. A member of my off road club runs a local repair shop. I presently have a left hand disability which makes me doing the labor difficult. His regular guy looks at it for me. Shop manager sees the issue as intermittent, and says they can be tough to track down. Even at the shop for a few weeks, no change in stalling issue.

Some older threads on similar subject mention fuel filter. If it was clogged, why do things run fine most, if not all of the time? What are steps to test igniter/coil? The igniter was swapped after CEL pointed to issue there. It was obtained from shop that built the engine.

Tired of throwing more parts at it; no one has tracked this down. Do I just warm it up a bunch before driving and give up curing the fault? It acts like ignition/spark suddenly goes off when pulling to a stop (manual tranny btw). Any reasonable ideas entertained.

One other ongoing problem has been a 71 CEL. That points to EGR. It might come on after 50, 200, 500, 1100 miles, nothing consistent. If it goes over 500, I would think fault has cleared, but it still comes back. EGR itself was replaced, along with EGR temp sensor. One guy thought to try wrapping sensor or EGR with foil to keep its temp up. Sensor itself has a very small nub that is too hard to try and wrap; I did put some foil over EGR. Will see how that goes. Would like to find the fix to stall more than anything, however.

Last edited by Rivergoat; 10-27-2024 at 12:50 PM. Reason: inability to view upom review
Old 10-27-2024 | 12:48 PM

(something weird...post did not show on checking it, but here is what I said)

I have seen some similar discussions; nothing completely addresses my issue or resolution.

22RE DLX '94 pickup; new engine was built and installed about 4 years back. Within past 6 months, can head out in morning to work ( not doing that employment any longer for what it's worth). When I get to stop sign along the way, it is as if ignition shuts down. Rig stalls with no sputter, just dash lights come on, engine is off. Can restart, it might do it at next stop as well; or might keep going. For the prior job, it was a 20 mile trek up the Santa Cruz CA mountains to the gate of employ. By then engine should be at operating temp I would think. However, sometimes still stalled at the gate. Never seemed to do it at the end of a 10 hour work day on drive home; next day, it would stall out again; thought maybe a colder and moist morning may play a part, but can't prove it..

About 3 years ago, the OEM distributor failed with a signal coil CEL error. I replaced with aftermarket distributor, though recently put a new signal coil in OEM and got it re-installed with new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Still getting the stall.

I spoke to the shop that built the new engine; his suggestion was the IAC, and not to get a cheaper Chinese made product. I had replaced it a few years ago due to surging idle condition, though taking his thoughts, located a Japanese made unit. This has not remedied the situation. A member of my off road club runs a local repair shop. I presently have a left hand disability which makes me doing the labor difficult. His regular guy looks at it for me. Shop manager sees the issue as intermittent, and says they can be tough to track down. Even at the shop for a few weeks, no change in stalling issue.

Some older threads on similar subject mention fuel filter. If it was clogged, why do things run fine most, if not all of the time? What are steps to test igniter/coil? The igniter was swapped after CEL pointed to issue there. It was obtained from shop that built the engine.

Tired of throwing more parts at it; no one has tracked this down. Do I just warm it up a bunch before driving and give up curing the fault? It acts like ignition/spark suddenly goes off when pulling to a stop (manual tranny btw). Any reasonable ideas entertained.

One other ongoing problem has been a 71 CEL. That points to EGR. It might come on after 50, 200, 500, 1100 miles, nothing consistent. If it goes over 500, I would think fault has cleared, but it still comes back. EGR itself was replaced, along with EGR temp sensor. One guy thought to try wrapping sensor or EGR with foil to keep its temp up. Sensor itself has a very small nub that is too hard to try and wrap; I did put some foil over EGR. Will see how that goes. Would like to find the fix to stall more than anything, however.