Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 Toyota pickup won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Toyota pickup won’t start

I have 93 3.0L Toyota pickup that won’t start. The stereo and dash lights come on but won’t start. Replaced the starter and starter rely still has the same problem thinking maybe the ignition switch or solenoid. Any ideas? Or anyway I can check them before I start buying parts?
Old 05-25-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
I assume from your changing the starter that you have a "no crank, no click" situation (it sure helps if you describe your issue). So before you buy any parts (yes, before you buy the starter and the relay), you just want to test it.

Unless you got a bad replacement starter (it's possible), it probably isn't the solenoid. But you'll start by getting battery voltage to the solenoid terminal on the starter. You can run a wire directly, but on the 3VZE the starter is hard to get to (oh, you already know that). So make it easy on yourself, and put battery to the terminal of the starter relay socket that goes to the solenoid.

Use the drawing on the back of the relay to determine the correct terminal.
Pin 3 on my truck. If it still won't crank, you've got an open between that terminal and the starter. Crawl under your truck with the wire, and put battery voltage right to the solenoid terminal. Don't forget that the Park-Neutral switch (auto?) is between the relay and the starter.

If it does crank, you'll first check for battery voltage to the relay contacts (pin 5) with your multimeter. (Don't have a multimeter? No excuse for that! https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-63759.html). Then you'll check for battery voltage to the coil (pin 1) with key-to-start.

Let us know what you find. (Even if it's something embarrassing like trying to start it while in Drive.)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Try starting it in neutral, try wiggling the shifter in park and neutral while holding the start. Had that happen before

shem