Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OK guys, thanks for all the input. I won't be around for the next 3 days, so nothing is going to happen. I just hope i didn't screw up getting the cam sprocket off the front too.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
User Requested Ban

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about telling you to put the tranny in park.

I always use an air gun, zips it off so fast I dont use a chain wrench often.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by theAuthority
Sorry about telling you to put the tranny in park.

I always use an air gun, zips it off so fast I dont use a chain wrench often.

No prob.

I'm gonna do some asking around in the next 3 days I'm working. I'm sure to find one of those chain wrenches. If not, AUTOZONE is about a mile away from where I work (but about 20 miles away from my house) and I know they have a loaner program there.

Listen everybody, I'm just glad all the help came pouring in the way it did. I'm a TOTAL NEWBIE, so I appreciate any help I get.

This is why I love YOTATECH
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm telling you 92 just try the rope trick works like a charm for the bolt on the harmonic balance. You'll still need a puller for the pulley its self but you can do it very easily with rope.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM

No, I understand. Same way as making a tourniquet.

I'm just thinking that at this important part, it may be a good idea to get an extra set of hands and eyes in here. When I was trying my push-pull technique earlier, I was killing myself....I will probably be real sore tomorrow.

That was a similar technique to me getting the bolt off the power steering pulley, I had made the mistake of taking the belt off too soon and had to put the belt back on and wth 1 hand I squeezed the belt real tight and with the other hand I loosened the bolt.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
No, I understand. Same way as making a tourniquet.

I'm just thinking that at this important part, it may be a good idea to get an extra set of hands and eyes in here. When I was trying my push-pull technique earlier, I was killing myself....I will probably be real sore tomorrow.

That was a similar technique to me getting the bolt off the power steering pulley, I had made the mistake of taking the belt off too soon and had to put the belt back on and wth 1 hand I squeezed the belt real tight and with the other hand I loosened the bolt.

I didnt read too far into this other than the first page...ur in my situation exactly. 280k on mine though, i blew a hg and noticed my guide was disintegrated worse than yours...beat up the chain cover..but didnt eat through the jacket...

As far as the pully bolt, i used a breaker bar with a long pipe on it for extension then it broke pretty easy. put it in 5th 2whl and no probs..just keep it in drive since ur an auto..and 4 low. it will turn slightly..but its not really turning.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey there 92, making great progress, although a little more carnage than expected. Sucks about the cam sprocket. You might want to double check, I'm not sure if it comes in the rebuild kit, although it may.

Well I think the chain wrench is going to be your best bet at this point and get some pipe that you can either wedge against something or have someone hold, will make breaking this loose so much easier. I'd get 2 pieces one for the chain wrench and one on the breaker bar. I forgot about it being an auto, putting it in gear isn't going to do too much.

I really can't believe the cam sprocket came apart like that.

Muddin, I understand the rope trick but I'm not sure what you tie the rope to?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 PM

lumpy.
yeah, it wasn't that it was a bad suggestion, i had planned on trying to wedge in that sprocket and yes i will see if the kit comes with that, maybe i coul JB weld it back together, just have to find the piec that missed my face and put a hole in the drywall...no really!

the rope...eh...i'm not so sure about that, probably can't create enough surface friction to hold it...rubber strap maybe, chain definitely.

gotta go, 520 comes fast.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM

Damn 5:20...it's past your bed time then.

I put a screwdriver in mine when I did the cam, I know I didn't put as much pressure on it as you did but still. WoW is all...

O and that was a big goober in the eye, I bet that felt good. j/k at least you have the training to use a q-tip to get it out. Probably not what your suppose to do but I would have used one not knowing what else to do.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get engnbldr's timing kit it comes with both gears and chain so the old one won't matter.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 AM

yeah good.

i was betting i'd get that sprocket.

kinda need it now.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
If you get engnbldr's timing kit it comes with both gears and chain so the old one won't matter.
Ok good deal!! I wasn't sure, haven't ordered one of those yet. Hopefully it's not in my near future either.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 AM

ok here come some pics
Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 AM

slightly in the mood today so i thought "what the he*l" and started messing around. figured i cant use the cam sprocket as an anchor point anymore, so what's keeping me from taking the head off.

before you get excited, NO, the head is not off yet.

i'll make you suffer through some pics first.....

first off...took the cam bolt off..

[IMG][/IMG]

then....."where's that bolt??" I'm joking! yes i took it out. had to sop up some mess first.

[IMG][/IMG]

then i pulled off the cam sprocket and laid it on the guides like the GOOD BOOK says (well, technically, 1 guide. hahahah)

[IMG][/IMG]

then i took off the ground on the back exhaust side of the head and re-attached to lift hook...

[IMG][/IMG]

then, following the loosening sequence in the BOOK (BLEEDER!!!!), i loosened all the head bolts. it was at this point i noticed some differences. some bolts looked dry and some bolts were down-right dripping with oil. 1 bolt (the 2nd one from the front driver's side) i had to thread ALL the way out (see pic)

[IMG][/IMG]

and like i said, some were dripping (this is "bolt 10"......drivers side from the front 1-2-3-4-5 and passenger's side from the front 6-7-8-9-10)...so this is the very back bolt on the passenger's side. i did write in my tablet the condition (wet or dry) of each bolt if that means anything.

[IMG][/IMG]

but the G-D #4 bolt (4th from the front on the driver's side WON'T come out of it's hole AND this is the same one that i thought was going to snap because it was VERY TIGHT when all the others were loosened enough to be spun with my fingers....

[IMG][/IMG]

the pice of wood in the above picture was because with some of the other bolts (that were wet) i could feel a suction caused by the oil as i removed them. so i put a vice-grips loosely around the bolt shaft while levering some upwards force thinking this would make it POP out of it's hole. NOPE! even putting PB Blaster doesn't make that much of a difference. did make it noticeably easier to turn but i can't get it to pop out. AND.....thinking, "that's OK, this is out of the block but still in the head", i tried to lift and pry(using the pry area named in the book) the head out....NOPE!

[IMG][/IMG]

so, i'm stopped. AGAIN!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-30-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! That about covers it!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 AM

Now that's funny right there...I had the same issue with the same bolt. It will come out, you need to apply upward pressure while turning it. There is a bunch of gunk on the bolt which is buggering up the threads. I'd get this out before you try to remove the head. Don't wanna gouge anything. But if your positive it's above the block you can give it a shot.

As for the head being stuck, yep it does that. Might need a wooden block and a persuader, give little taps going upward like. Might even be able to put the wood you have in an exhaust port and give it a little upward push. Having a persuader handy will help out.

I'm not sure why some bolts are wet and some are dry I know the dry ones are harder to get out. Looks kinda like dried up oil messy stuff.

You don't want to beat on anything just gently persuade it.

We don't wanna hear about an
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM

O ya...maybe keep spraying penetrating fluid in there as well. PB blaster or WD40. Let it sit for a wee bit. I know it's a tough thing, waiting.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 AM

hey,ya know what too?

i'm going to look through BLEEDER's and OLHARLEY's threads for pics from the BACK of the engine.

i never took off those 2 tubes going across the back, i figured they would come up with the head but in one pic from OLHARLEY back on about page 5 or 4 (of this thread) it almost looked like a brace connected to BOTH the head and the block.

i'm stopped now, need a break.....STARVING....only had about a gallon of coffee so far and a half-dozen smokes.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-30-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 AM

I left those pipes on mine and it all came out. It's much easier having the pipes loosely attached during the install as well, really can't get your hands in there to put the bolts in. I do not recall which thread I was reading but the head was pulled a 2nd time to put those bolts in so there was the additional cost of another HG as well.

Get some grub you'll need it when you pull the head out. It's a little heavier than it looks and awkward when you are pulling it.
For me it's coffee, I quit smoking a year in Feb (yeah for me) and June was a year with out snuff. I do have the occasional Parodi. Not even 1 a week.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Parodi, what the hell is that? do you need to rub cream on it? sounds painful.

anyway, yeah, i'm just sitting, my arms are still buzzing from arguing with that bolt.

i'm going to look at the other 2 threads ('BLEEDER and 'HARLEY) and see if the have any pics from the back of the engine.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread