Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
ok, I'm a d-bag.

figured I would spray my valve cover again.......mistake!.......paint started to bubble-up ..........arrrggggghhhhhh!!...big deal...i will scrape it later....just stupid stuff like that aggravates the hell outta me.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 03-24-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 AM

off topic...but.....just thinking a little.....has anyone ever heard of swapping a 3vze out and putting a 22re in?? I know I hear of the 3.4 swap continuously but that's not what i want.

of course, transmission and ecu would have to be swapped also, eh?

just thinking towards the future with the 4runner......I know, I know, finish 1 thing 1st.

dang it's cold today.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM

so i ran my head bolt through the rest of the holes and then through all of them again. sprayed my little heart out with carb cleaner until it ran out of PFFFFT......appartently it's a directional can....tilt it this way...air, that way, stuff.....

anyway here's some pics....

this bolt puked....

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM

and then I decided I should clean the piston tops.

took the timing chain off and out of the way and scrubbed and scrubbed.

then (and hopefully this was a good thing to do as I was following ...kinda...a hint) I cranked the crank a little so each piston top was even 1/2up or down and put assembly lube on the walls and cranked until the 1st ones came up top and then over and over and wiped away anything that was left at the top.

thats gooey like honey.

came out nice...hope it helped.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM

I feel satisfied that the bolt holes are clean.
clean enough to run the bolts easily.

want to feel better about them being free of crud though....will work on that more.

I feel that with 1 more razor blading of the top of the block and a final wiping with acetone I should be ready for the head gasket.......YIKES!

Pensive.

I am pensive right now.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya it's cold and miserable here...I have not heard of this 3.0 --> 22re swap but I'm sure it has and can be done. You'd have to swap the wiring harness as well.

As for the valves you really should give them a go over. Doesn't take all that long and it will make a difference.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Ya it's cold and miserable here...I have not heard of this 3.0 --> 22re swap but I'm sure it has and can be done. You'd have to swap the wiring harness as well.

As for the valves you really should give them a go over. Doesn't take all that long and it will make a difference.

yeh...that's just a thought in my head.

it's cooler but sunny today, not bad with the garage door closed.

the valves look nice and taking that thing off the top was a nervous kinda procedure and I don't want to do it again.....not now at least.

I know I am bucking conventional wisdom here, but I opened a can of worms a while ago and I feel i have most corralled right now and don't want to make life more miserable for myself....so i am just saying I don't want to mess around too, too much....the valve spring compressor tool is like $20 anyways...$20 I don't have right now.

I am likewise fighting with myself about the cross-threaded spark plug I have...I bought the tap to do it, but I'm hoping I don't destroy anything in trying to do that.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 AM

You can use a block of wood under the valve and a large crescent wrench to compress the valve spring enough to get the wedges out. But you do need more than 2 hands to do all this and the springs tend to want to jump. I didn't use the "tool" that I rented from Advanced Auto (free rental with the return of the tool!!!) It was not the correct compressor.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM

eh...

so the spark plug fix went well.....I was pissed at 1st because the spark plug socket I had would not go down far enough....but I "modded" the socket by removing the little rubber thingy inside.......ran the tap and the spark plug through and out several times and worked like a champ. yay me.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM

so, on my short list of things to do today is give the head bolt holes a happy once more cleaning and wipe down the top of the block.

LUMPY.....you understand what I'm saying about the valves, I hope......I'm not dismissing anything you or anyone is saying....please understand that.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

I do understand...and I know you don't have the option of having another pair of hands for this...I just don't want you to have a compression leak to to a valve not seating properly. Not saying that you "will" have this issue, I hope they are fine and not give grief.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I do understand...and I know you don't have the option of having another pair of hands for this...I just don't want you to have a compression leak to to a valve not seating properly. Not saying that you "will" have this issue, I hope they are fine and not give grief.

you and me both.

you and me both.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM

OK...gotta tend to the boy.....

Lunch time too.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 AM

gotta try to get the little studs out of the fan bracket on the old water pump since I inadvertently used them on my cover...I'm thinking needle nose and paper towel....hmmmmm......

it's also almost time to play.....guess which gasket goes where....will start that game later....yuck!

Q-tips and acetone for the bolt holes.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........No.

Not gonna either....kill me if you wish, but..I looked and I looked some more and I like my valves just the way the are....hahahahha.
You can't look at the valve seats (you know, the IMPORTANT part) with the valves in, how shiny the bottom of the valve is is irrelevant...

With all the work you have done, it seems to be a shame not to do the job right. The Toyota FSM even calls lapping the valves a required step when changing a head gasket, that is why they give you the valve seals in any HG kit...

I swear to god, it is not nearly as hard as anything else that you have done so far. If you actually try it, you will wonder why you waited so long....

xxxtreme22r, Lumpy, PLEASE make him do this

Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Hell if I were closer I'd go and do it for him...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I know I am bucking conventional wisdom here, but I opened a can of worms a while ago and I feel i have most corralled right now and don't want to make life more miserable for myself....so i am just saying I don't want to mess around too, too much....the valve spring compressor tool is like $20 anyways...$20 I don't have right now.
Four thoughts for you:

1) If you put it back together without lapping your valves, and you have a compression problem in a month due to a valve lapping issue, it is 100$ for a new HG set, instead of 20$ for a Valve Spring Compressor...

2) Most auto parts stores have a tool rental or loan program, you could probably rent/borrow this tool for almost nothing...

3) You can use a large-mouth c-clamp and a chunk of pipe with a notch cut out of it instead of a compressor, there is a video that has been posted several times in your thread of somebody doing this with an eclipse motor.

4) Its not that damn hard, even for a newbie. Watch the videos linked earlier, and give it a try on one valve!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM

I posted it!!! it was me!!! I did it!!!

But in all seriousness it will only take about 1.5 house to do them all and have it back together. Even by yourself...Just mind the cone washer thingys that hold the springs on they like to hide, I think they are like Mogwai or Gremlins and are afraid of the light.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
92 TOY, I am not trying to talk you into something you don't want to do, BUT......They are right, I had never done it before a couple days ago & it was super easy. I am positive that I was lossing some compression thu the exhaust valves.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread