Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd do the down pipe first...but that's just me.
Then yes the 2 nuts on the back of the pipe and then the 2 bolts on the Manifold that hold it to the head.
Yepper, the crank well be a real treat then the cam sprocket that one was not all that bad.

Sounds like you have a good plan...have at it sir. I wanna see piston tops tomorrow!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

then a nap.

OK....here's hoping to see piston tops tomorrow too.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 AM

so, today's episode starts like this......

felt to see what size bit wll fit those evil (pointing down) bolts are that connect the exhaust manifold to the down pipe....14mm...good got that!........rig up a ratchet that will be long enough to reach from underneath......got that too!.......unfortunately need a deep socket since the bolt protrudes more than the depth of my socket to make a snug fit........DON'T HAVE ONE!........i've got deep sockets up to 12mm only.....so will need to get a deep 14mm!

i thought that i would just try a wrench and do it with the power in my hands......1st one, no prob,....... 2nd one, no budge,....... 3rd one didn't try.

so i guess i have to go somewhre to get a deep 14mm........ARRRRGH!

smoke break time.......TIP: always wash hands after using (soaking) in PB Blaster...it tastes horrible and i'm getting sick of the smell too.....smells like progress and that's good, but it really does stench.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 AM

found a CRAFTSMAN 14mm deep 6pt socket on ebay for $1 plus $2.49 shipping.....that's going to be hard to beat.

i'm going to post some pics of some stuff i found...my camera is charging though.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 AM

is this a broken something????

[IMG][/IMG]

hey, and look, a stray bolt just laying there....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM

1 more showing where that bolt is laying.......

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 AM

The picture of "is this a broken something" Looks like the bottom of the exhaust manifold, I think its the top of the stud that holds the down pipe.

The stray looks to be something with the power steering bracket. Dig it out and hang on to it, might need it someday.

Nothing like PB Plaster in the morning. I used to smoke and chew...it's a nice little surprise to have a pinch of snuff with a hint of PB.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 AM

yes, i could probably get that out of the exhaust manifold and just replace it......of course if i get a header (yeah, right!), i won't need to.....that bolt laying teher was probably one of those "oops" things from when i had the head done years ago. i know i didn't lose any bolts, not yet at least, they go right in a bag or a cardboard template.

wasted the last 2 hrs .....putzing.....found a few things on napa.com and autozone.com and ebay....namely pricing out timing kits (all inclusive with water and oil pumps and steel driver's side guide...(saw one with both sides are steel)) and little pieces like those little grommets that hold down the valve cover.

all in all, not going to be a productive day. because of where i live, every store is like 10 to 15 miles away from me, so i may just ask my neighbors if i could borrow a 14mm socket and maybe get some muscle from him too this weekend getting that crankshaft bolt off..............

so i may just start to strategize what i will do once i get the head off and tming cover off.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
yes, i could probably get that out of the exhaust manifold and just replace it......of course if i get a header (yeah, right!), i won't need to.....that bolt laying teher was probably one of those "oops" things from when i had the head done years ago. i know i didn't lose any bolts, not yet at least, they go right in a bag or a cardboard template
The pic of the something broken, was that from on top looking down or from underneath looking up. I thought it was looking down...If it's looking down the nut should be on the other side...I'm confused a bit now.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the crank pulley go to autozone/advanced auto and take them up on there loan a tool deal and get either the pulley puller or a steering wheel puller , the pry bar is not going to work so good I used a Y shaped steering wheel puller the bolts that came with it fit the pulley threads fine, worked great but was still a work out.

As for the timing kit ENGNBLDR no need to go anywhere else and at this point you could get the master rebuid kit from him with everything you need to put it back together including the steel drivers side timing kit for $229 to your door thats what I paid for mine and NO BODY is going to be more willing to replace things if they are broke or wrong like TED/TOD look what you get for $229 to your door
Pistons,rings,freeze plugs,oil pump,main and rod bearings,steel side timing kit,complete gasket kit,wrist pins and bushings really every thing you need for a complete rebuild.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
[IMG][/IMG]

OLHARLEY, is this what i need?

LUMPY...yes, that pic is from top down
Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM

this pic is from me standing at the front bumper , looking down at the exhaust manifold

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM

That appears to be the top of the stud...there should be a nut on the underside of that which holds the pipe on...

Well I'm not real sure how that holder works but when I broke the cam sprocket I just broke it loose and I was able to persuade it off the cam. But to break loos the lower pulley you will really have to wrench on it and the pulley will just not come off...You will need a puller to get it. Something along these lines I'm thinking, Ask the guys at Advanced Auto what they have to rent.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
That appears to be the top of the stud...there should be a nut on the underside of that which holds the pipe on...

Well I'm not real sure how that holder works but when I broke the cam sprocket I just broke it loose and I was able to persuade it off the cam. But to break loos the lower pulley you will really have to wrench on it and the pulley will just not come off...You will need a puller to get it. Something along these lines I'm thinking, Ask the guys at Advanced Auto what they have to rent.

That is exactly what I used worked great, the cam gear was easy to pull off , to break the bolt loose I just put a breaker bar on it and laid it on the frame and turned the key but I think that option is out for you right now so breaker bar and a lot of muscle is the next option,if you can get your hands on one from advanced or auto zone a chain wrench should hold it for you jammed onto something like the frame to keep the motor from turning over.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

does this look like it will do it. i see what you mean about a pulley puller, i will have to look into that.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM

Ya, I think you'll be alright with that...Looks like a knuckle buster!!! Either that or it may leave a mark to make you forehead stand out a bit more, which would be more my luck.

But that should do nicely. I'm not sure how you can get that connected to the lower pulley. I'm sure you'll find a way.

Alright it's 3:30 and your getting close to seeing the top off!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 AM

sorry guys....

gotta go to an inservice now from 5 to 9, so nothing more today...and i need a deep 14mm anyway...so i'll have to keep ya's in suspenders until tomorrow....

i figure if i keep that tool on the cam gear while using the breaker bar on the crank bolt i should be able to get that off....and then i will need one of those pulley tools.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Ahhhhhh!!!! no!!! Your killing me here, I wanna see that head off!! I don't think I'm asking too much.

The cam sprocket will not be too bad the bolt will be tight but not terrible, the crank is the one that is going to give you the most trouble. Lock the hubs and put in 4wd and e-brake it. Should help.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM

....but i'm saying i will HOLD everything in place by using that tool on the cam gear to keep stuff from turning while pulling with the breaker bar on the crank bolt....and i will put it in 4wd and chock the wheels, and wear a cup.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM

I get it now...I was just being dumb.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread