Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OK...let me say this much, i think i'm regretting ALOT now. this, by far is beyond me.

I found a bolt that i had missed just under the 2nd injector ,just behind the thermostat housing. and i also removed 2 bolts from that metal tube just under the 3rd injector....but it wouldn't budge..much. then i realize that under the lower manifold under the 4th tube(closest to firewall) the was another metal tube attached in the same way....removed the 2 nuts and worked the lower manifold off.

started dissecting wires and then stopped......then i traced 1 wire to the passenger's side of the transmission....cant get a good grip of it to un-cork it and i can see another wire going off into the darkness at the top of the transmission (it's an AUTO---if that makes a difference)....so i thought, i will just leave the lower intake in the engine bay and not screw with the wires.

[IMG][/IMG]

so i took my stuff to the exhaust side...took off the shield....how the hell do you get at the bolts at the back of the head. i took off 6 nuts, now what, it moves, but very little.i took out the one bolt that holds that tube on , but it's not long enough to reach the head so i put it back in.

[IMG][/IMG]

i'm stopped for now....discouraged.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok you are doing great!!! Your wires on the tranny will be different from mine I have a 5spd. But you have the intake off which is good. You should be alright to leave it there, it will be difficult to clean though but as long as it stays out of your way...

You will have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the down pipe and remove the 2 that hold the pipe for the EGR stuff. The bolts behind the head are a real peach to get to, took me quite a while to get them loose, I did not remove them for fear of dropping them.

At this point though, you can remove the head with the exhaust manifold connected. It will add quite a bit of weight to it though.

You have to be sure you have all the rubber hoses disconnected as well.

You are doing fine...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM

It's after 1:00 sit have a beer take a deep breath and just stare at it for a bit and she'll tell you what you need to take off next. Well not you per-say but what you need to remove from the truck. It would be quite a site to have your wife come home and find you naked in the garage staring at the truck.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't stop now your almost there. As for the wires on the tranny I used a pair of needle nose pliers to push the tab down and wiggled the plug loose and the one that gos up on the tailshaft just take the bolt holding it to the tranny loose and then you can pull it free.

I can't seem to wrap my head around the bolts on the left side of the head your speaking of but if you can get a better pic you know I am down to help you get this thing done just pull all of the bolts it will come off don't forget the lower bolts as well as the top ones.

I just noticed that in your pic you did not remove the two bolts that are connected to the exhaust tube pull them and I believe you will be able to pull it off

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Don't forget about the hidden one in the oil under the distributor gear!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM

thanks guys.

no, i will not be naked in the garage.

i do have a fridge in the garage though.....but WAAAAY too earlier for that.

i think that rather than try to use the ratchet on the back of the head, i will just use a regular wrench.

OLHARLEY....i will see about those wires.....

see the good thing is i know when to stop and collect my thoughts and put in a consultation request.

i know for DAMN sure, this thing would / will be ALOT easier to assemble out of the truck. the jury is still out on that one.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Man just pull the motor you will not regret it as far as your going into that thing pull it.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Those 2 bolts on the back of the head are a real pain and if I remember correctly I had to use a wrench to get to them as well. Don't recall if they were 12 or 14 though.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM

questions coming.....

waiting for photobucket......

please stand by
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

ok forget that...

bear with me and i'm gnna use my picture and harley's picture as reference....

#1 if i disconnect those 2 bolts circled in harley pic what happens.....does that mean i dont have to disconnect from the back of the head???? because it should just be a free tube now attached only at the back of the head, right?

#2 do i disconnect (use my picture as reference) anything between my exhaust "header"(for lack of a better word(no knowledge)) and the pipe just below it? Please say no, dear God, say no.

#3 since my exhaust clamp i can see is very rusted, should i get out the sawzall and cut the pipe........???????? or will the whole thing turn?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Ok lets see If I can answer this...

1. By removing the 2 bolts in OlHarley's pic you can then remove the pipe and then remove the Exhaust Manifold. If you do not take them out the Exhaust Manifold will come out when you pull the head as all one piece.

2. Juts above the little Y in your picture there are 3 studs that come out of the Manifold so the down pipe can bolt to it. You will need a few extensions and a 14mm deep well socket. it's not too bad you get it from underneath. I had to use 1/2 breaker to get mine undone.

3. I don't think you need to start cutting (just yet).
Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
ok forget that...

bear with me and i'm gnna use my picture and harley's picture as reference....

#1 if i disconnect those 2 bolts circled in harley pic what happens.....does that mean i dont have to disconnect from the back of the head???? because it should just be a free tube now attached only at the back of the head, right?

#2 do i disconnect (use my picture as reference) anything between my exhaust "header"(for lack of a better word(no knowledge)) and the pipe just below it? Please say no, dear God, say no.

#3 since my exhaust clamp i can see is very rusted, should i get out the sawzall and cut the pipe........???????? or will the whole thing turn?
#1 yes you should be able to lift it straight up and not have to remove the tube from the back.
#2 disconnect the manifold from the exhaust lift out
#3try to rock it loose and pull it off if that don't work well guess its sawzall time
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy

3. I don't think you need to start cutting (just yet).
i still have the original CAT on there (18yrs!!!!!!)...so my intention after i win a couple thou' on lottery tickets is to get a header / CAT to my muffler (which is almost new , probably has about 2,000 miles into it, but then again, mufflers don't "break the bank" either, everything before it does) and i would end up replacing that area of "cut" in question....
Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM

if you disconnect the one's OlHarley has circled and take the 3 off the down pipe then you have the 2 left in the head coming out between 1-2 and 3-4 and the exhaust manifold will pull out. It will be easier taking the head out without this attached.

And yes OlHarley is correct the pipe that runs across the back of the motor will stay connected to the head.

if I hit tonight I'll get ya a new exhaust with headers!!! PowerBall is aout 129M

Last edited by Lumpy; 09-23-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

tanx.....here's hoping!

well, nothing more will get done today i'm sorry to say, will plan an attack for tomorrow.

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:47 PM

This thread is getting me through some slow days at work. Thank you!!!

Keep it going!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM

just the opposite....when i'm off that's the only time i can use the computer, not at work, ever!. i work in an ER for 12 to 16hr shifts and just can't do this sort of stuff there.

yes, i am relying on you guys to say "keep it going", i'm medical, not mechanical, but have longed for a hobby for a long time and here it was under my nose for almost 18 years....so despite the aggravation and despair i express sometimes, it sure beats the hell out of being at work...AMEN! and besides, it's a learning experience for me and my boys. and any day that you learn something is a very good day.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-23-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm in IT so I'm at the computer all day and I have a side business that I'm slowly getting going (setting up home networks and cleaning machines). So when were slow at the office I'm on here. Once I get home I really don't have much time, that's why you don't see me much on the weekends.

ER stuff, good deal, I could not to it. Some of that just gives me a tummy ache just thinking about it. I'm glad you can do it, so when I get banged up I have someone to fix me up. 12-16 hours that's a hell of a day.

I'll tell ya for your first big project you are doing quite well. You ask good questions even know I don't answer them well. You have a good project going and you will be so happy when you are done and hear it run again. Sure beats having someone else do it for you.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM

ER for 15 years, oh the stories..........RN for 15 years.
want to stop working so hard someday and get into a cushy position like Flight Nurse....but those positions are highly sought after andonce you get it, you stay a while, so getting in is like a very slim chance....so i will just stay like i is , a worker bee and essentially assistant director of our ER.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY

[IMG][/IMG]
using my pic again............

1) i will remove the 2 bolts(nuts?) holding the tube to the exhaust manifold

2) i will try to seperate the manifold from the down-tube thus releasing the manifold top and bottom and back and i should be able to lift it away

3) then i gues i will try the breaker bar / pulley bar trick to get the crankshaft pulley off

4) then i will do the same breaker bar / pulley tool trick on the sprocket bolt at the front of the cam

5) then i will remove the "hidden" bolt uner the cam gear

6) then, following the reverse of the torquing sequence, i will remove the head bolts

7) then i will have hernia surgery....LOL

Then and only then, will i feel i really got somewhere. to this point i've just been taking crap apart

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-24-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread