Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I think all you have to do is remove these three. (pic borrowed from someones FS ad)

The ones in your pic hold on a bracket that holds the actual mounting points. Your idea would work, but I think it would be more clumsy.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM

I think you're looking at these, in green. There would also be 2 more on the pass side (also highlighted here)
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
No I think all you have to do is remove these three. (pic borrowed from someones FS ad)

The ones in your pic hold on a bracket that holds the actual mounting points. Your idea would work, but I think it would be more clumsy.

X2 on the red marks those are the only 3 you have to remove for the diff to drop down.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Depending on who you take it to...but yes the E-brake should work to pass.

Wow Magn, you better take it easy on 92...Yes it's slow but steady. He works on it when he has the time and he does keep at it. Having kids, wife, demanding job and somewhat of a life after that = slow build. I'm in the same boat that's why I have not touched my project in a few weeks. Hell he'll probably be done before I am.

On with the show...I think if you just remove the red bolts in the pic's you'll be alright they will probably be easier to get back in when your done.

get that silly sway bar out of there as well...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
X2 on the red marks those are the only 3 you have to remove for the diff to drop down.

if that's right , all i have to is remove those 2 body mount ones (the 2 round doughnut ones)
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM

read post #738 again......

the guy is talking about 2 bolts each........not just the 1 each of the body mounts.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Just watch it's going to want to move on you. The only thing holding it straight are the axle's. I believe it will be rather wiggly you don't want the CV's to hyper extend.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
read post #738 again......

the guy is talking about 2 bolts each........not just the 1 each of the body mounts.
I believe he is removing the 4 bolts that connect the mounts to the diff, you can remove the body mount bolts instead I believe. Take out the ones that come off easiest.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Take out the ones that come off easiest.
Ding! I like that answer. Other considerations are if you think one way would be easier to line up over the other when it comes to re-install time or if the bushings in the mounts don't look like they can stand abuse/twisting/manipulation or have stuck bolts.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM

swaybay 1 ...me 0

me versus swaybar / PENNDOT / Mother Nature........me lost.....broke alL 4 bolts and can't get the last 2 to even turn........I SMELL SAWZALL...........BWAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Last edited by 92 TOY; 11-24-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Ding! I like that answer. Other considerations are if you think one way would be easier to line up over the other when it comes to re-install time or if the bushings in the mounts don't look like they can stand abuse/twisting/manipulation or have stuck bolts.
i LIKE HIS ANSWER TOO.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM

oops...caps lock
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM

gonna sit on my butt and read my 4WD TOYOTA OWNER magazine that just came in the mail......maybe I'm in it.....SLOWEST REBUILD EVER............
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been awhile since i've chimed in, now i'm caught back up. . . .i think. why exactly are you taking the oil pan off again? is it just cuz of the milkshake oil? if so, couldn't you just flush it out and be done with it?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
been awhile since i've chimed in, now i'm caught back up. . . .i think. why exactly are you taking the oil pan off again? is it just cuz of the milkshake oil? if so, couldn't you just flush it out and be done with it?

hey, how are ya?

No the guides are in there......looks like I must have been dripping a VERY small amount of oil for a long time judging by the mess I'm seeing under the engine.....mostly I think it was te seal at the bottom of the the Timing cover at the pan that was leaking.

Anyway, what I got done today is the last I'm doing until saturday.......having Turkey day here, so have to HELP straighten up the house for family to come......maybe if i get a chance I will continue to work on that swaybar disaster tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:07 AM

here ya go...

Such an awkward angle to be working under the truck arguring with this thing....

Old 11-25-2009, 04:38 AM

I got my oil pan out when i spun the first bearing while the truck was sitting in a field off the side of the road, all i did was remove the 3 bolts from that picture. yes the diff came down and was held up by the swaybar and the axles shafts on the lower control arms. the dif also rotated to where the driveshaft flange was maybe a half inch off the ground. I took the top mount off the steering damper and the shock off my aftermarket sttering stablizer out. roved the oil pickup tub e and let that fall in the pan then the pan took some persuading to come out but it did come out without having to jack up the motor.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:17 AM

I got my oil pan out when i spun the first bearing while the truck was sitting in a field off the side of the road, all i did was remove the 3 bolts from that picture. yes the diff came down and was held up by the swaybar and the axles shafts on the lower control arms. the dif also rotated to where the driveshaft flange was maybe a half inch off the ground. I took the top mount off the steering damper and the shock off my aftermarket sttering stablizer out. roved the oil pickup tub e and let that fall in the pan then the pan took some persuading to come out but it did come out without having to jack up the motor.
TANX....

How much of a PITA is it to get that tube off?? and back on.......

Probably no time today or tomorrow....wife cracking thewhip on me.....OUCH!!! "YOTATECH, YOTATECH, OIL PAN, OIL PAN........"

Going to try more PB Blaster on those nuts befor I cut that swaybar stuff though.......really sore from the precarious angle I was at and still nervous about the truck propped up on toothpicks.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
TANX....

How much of a PITA is it to get that tube off?? and back on.......

Probably no time today or tomorrow....wife cracking thewhip on me.....OUCH!!! "YOTATECH, YOTATECH, OIL PAN, OIL PAN........"

Going to try more PB Blaster on those nuts befor I cut that swaybar stuff though.......really sore from the precarious angle I was at and still nervous about the truck propped up on toothpicks.

I am going to assume here you are talking about the axle tube? it was hard even with the motor out, however i got it back up with no jack under the diff. aligning it was the bitch.

P.S. As of the first of dec I am going to be laid off indefinitely. So I will have alot of time on my hands. And today is actually my last day of work. got the next two days and monday off for a paid holiday before being laid off.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-25-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM

I am going to assume here you are talking about the axle tube? it was hard even with the motor out, however i got it back up with no jack under the diff. aligning it was the bitch.

P.S. As of the first of dec I am going to be laid off indefinitely. So I will have alot of time on my hands. And today is actually my last day of work. got the next two days and monday off for a paid holiday before being laid off.

actually I meant the oil tube.

That sucks about being laid off......my brother is the same way.....laid off / called back / laid off / called back...and on and on....treating him like a beyoch.....

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread