Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
what the hell are you guys doing?

I leave ya's alone for 3 days and sounds like a not-so-secret ambush headed my way.

to 86TOY....wow, that's sad that you read the WHOLE thing. I'm really sorry for you for doing that. But, no , seriously, like I've said, I will re-write this thing when it's all done, so it's not so painful for someone to read through. But KUDOS for reading it.

Spent the $100 I had stashed aside for parts, I'm EXTREMELY p-o'd about that, but that's life........but just got home after my 3rd 14 hour shift.....no work until Friday (yeah, add that up 14 x 3 = 42 plus 12 or 14 on Friday= alot of work).

Gonna do some work onit tomorrow, kids are both healthy, wife is working and I have the house to myself.

LUMPY....Lewisbrg, huh? Made many trips down that way to Selinsgrove when we were building our house, so that's bout an hour away.....hmmmmmmm.......

4'11?? My wife is about that also........very deceptive for her size......I'll leave it at that, but she's fiery (remember I said she was a School Board Director......a way of displacing some anger).
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
what the hell are you guys doing?

I leave ya's alone for 3 days and sounds like a not-so-secret ambush headed my way.

to 86TOY....wow, that's sad that you read the WHOLE thing. I'm really sorry for you for doing that. But, no , seriously, like I've said, I will re-write this thing when it's all done, so it's not so painful for someone to read through. But KUDOS for reading it.

Spent the $100 I had stashed aside for parts, I'm EXTREMELY p-o'd about that, but that's life........but just got home after my 3rd 14 hour shift.....no work until Friday (yeah, add that up 14 x 3 = 42 plus 12 or 14 on Friday= alot of work).

Gonna do some work onit tomorrow, kids are both healthy, wife is working and I have the house to myself.

LUMPY....Lewisbrg, huh? Made many trips down that way to Selinsgrove when we were building our house, so that's bout an hour away.....hmmmmmmm.......

4'11?? My wife is about that also........very deceptive for her size......I'll leave it at that, but she's fiery (remember I said she was a School Board Director......a way of displacing some anger).
Enjoyed it! It's a good read and makes me want to dig into my truck. Just got mine running a few weeks ago after sitting for about 6 yrs.

Guess this is the part were I'm supposed to get on you about getting that oil pan off? Just kidding...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
bring her along lumpy, 92 toy's wife will have someone to play with hehe.

P.S. motors in and broken in for 1/2 hr. got to put hood and driveshafts back on, do another oil change, set timing, recheck head bolts and valve lash and check out my float level on the carb.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
bring her along lumpy, 92 toy's wife will have someone to play with hehe.

P.S. motors in and broken in for 1/2 hr. got to put hood and driveshafts back on, do another oil change, set timing, recheck head bolts and valve lash and check out my float level on the carb.

Ha ha ha!!

Anyway.....good job!!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM

OK........I like to improvise......No jack stands.......but I have 2 bottle jacks

It's a bit close, but they do the job....

Let me just say that, as usual, it's NOT as easy as it sounds.........
1st bolt I loosened was the one holding the diff to that crosspiece (19mm and the breaker bar with extension).....then I moved on to the other 4 (17mm and you need a wrench on the other side to hold the nuts).

I'm hearing ya XXXTREME22R....I could see how easil the holes get out of alignment and believe it will be a TOTAL pain to get the bolts back in.....

Took quite a bit of "convincing" but I got that cross piece off. Also loosened the passenger's side end of the steering stabilizer.....if anything that gives my arms alot ore room...

So here we are.....going to re-read everything..........see what to do next......I'm kinda doing a combination of ALLCAMMEDUP and the FSM for now.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Oh yeah, for anyone doing this.......the DIFF can be driven right up into the oil pan right now if you aren't careful since it's not limited in it's upward movement.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really shouldn't trust a jack in place of a jack stand, jack stands lock to whatever height they are set at, while a jack does not. Generally speaking you should be ok, but I wouldn't hang out under there longer than absolutely necessary. Also, I didn't know those bottle jacks extended that far, mine doesn't...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you mean to tell me you still aint done with this dang thing..............LMAO just bustin your chops man..it took my 3 months to get my 22r removed rebuilt and installed in my garage lol..had to wait on parts a lot though so it wasn't much my fault
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
you mean to tell me you still aint done with this dang thing..............LMAO just bustin your chops man..it took my 3 months to get my 22r removed rebuilt and installed in my garage lol..had to wait on parts a lot though so it wasn't much my fault
Waiting on parts I can understand, but 92 TOY waits on LAZY.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
You really shouldn't trust a jack in place of a jack stand, jack stands lock to whatever height they are set at, while a jack does not. Generally speaking you should be ok, but I wouldn't hang out under there longer than absolutely necessary. Also, I didn't know those bottle jacks extended that far, mine doesn't...

Actually, I don't trust them much at all right now.......I never went under the truck higer than I would if it not on jacks....squished is OK but folded over, not good.
They are the jacks from my truck and my son's truck.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM

jeez im glad i have a 4in bracket lift on my 4runner LOL..pullin the pan is a breeze..just unbolt the steering from the pitman arm..and out comes the pan
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 AM

LOL...yepp..the stock toyota bottle jacks are awesome
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Actually, I don't trust them much at all right now.......I never went under the truck higer than I would if it not on jacks....squished is OK but folded over, not good.
They are the jacks from my truck and my son's truck.
Pretty sure we all have at least one of those jacks, I meant mine like it doesn't extend nearly that far, only the first two telescoping parts extend out.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Waiting on parts I can understand, but 92 TOY waits on LAZY.

Now I'm going to respond NICE to this.

DEFINITELY NOT LAZY.....but doing this on a shoestring budget and knowledge keeps it slow.

Lke AUTHORITY said a few posts back, this is more of a hobby than anything, so NO it's not fast or priority in my life. So when ANYTHING gets done, I'm satisfied.

This IS NOT, nor ever promised to be, a weekend rebuild. It's a realistic one
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Didn't mean to strike a nerv there man. However, at the rate you are going, your son is going to be 30 by the time HIS truck is on the road.

I understand the shoestring budget, I get paid once a month and only see my truck on weekends, I haven't done much since ripping the bed off a few weeks ago care of needing my paycheque to afford the steel for the new bed.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-24-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by magnusian
didn't mean to strike a nerv there man. However, at the rate you are going, your son is going to be 30 by the time his truck is on the road. :p

i understand the shoestring budget, i get paid once a month and only see my truck on weekends, i haven't done much since ripping the bed off a few weeks ago care of needing my paycheque to afford the steel for the new bed.
ok...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 AM

His truck IS actually driveable........we've driven it around the local roads several times, but until I dig into it / or get it compression tested, I'm not really going to trust it wondering if it has a bad head gasket....plus I need to install a parking brake cable because I believe (Pennsylvania guys correct me if I'm wrong) I need it to pass inspection. But also, for sure, it leaks oild from the valve covers..........so really, I'm waiting for LUMPY to do his 4runner and just follow his instructions.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM

This is from ALLCAMMEDUP's thread

"4. Remove the 2 bolts from each of the remaining 2 front differential mounts and lower the front diff about a good 6-8 inches by lowering the jack. The first 2 bolts are to the right of the front diff (facing it) and are by the driver's side CV boot. The other 2 are 'behind' the face of the differential and mount the top of the diff to a huge mounting braket on the passenger side. You'll get to these by going behind the diff under the truck. They are close to the passenger-side swaybar grommet. Kind of go 'up and over' the back of the front diff and you'll find them."

Anybody know what he's talking about......or mark some of my pics or something......

Last edited by 92 TOY; 11-24-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

are these 2???

Feel free to mark the pic...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM

yeah, forgot to put the pic on......

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread