Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Sounds like you have a bunch going on...

Have you tried emailing Ted from engnbldr to see if he had the bolts you are looking for? This may be a dumb question, why are you changing the crank bolts?
no, it's that crankshaft bolt that i struggled with, i just wanted to get a clue how much it was going to cost to replace it.

still trying to get a realistic grip on the financial part of this and trying to anticipate what parts i will need that aren't included from ted...........just thought of another one......that G-D long allen-bolt that went just under the thermostat housing....i rounded out the inside of that one....so see, i added to my list just now.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might still be worth developing a relationship with the local guy. He likely gets a shipment of parts every week or 2. Maybe you could work out a deal with him.

Something else while I'm thinking about it or else I'll forget or be offline for a week or whatever.

I simulated Roger Browns trick for lining up the head like he did with the studs. In my case with new bolts (and sounds like you are going the same route) I picked out the best four old bolts and cut off the heads, then threaded them just a pinch into four holes on the block, test fitted the head to make sure I could get them back out, and used those to line up the head when I set 'er down on the block at final reassembly. Worked great.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Might still be worth developing a relationship with the local guy. He likely gets a shipment of parts every week or 2. Maybe you could work out a deal with him.

Something else while I'm thinking about it or else I'll forget or be offline for a week or whatever.

I simulated Roger Browns trick for lining up the head like he did with the studs. In my case with new bolts (and sounds like you are going the same route) I picked out the best four old bolts and cut off the heads, then threaded them just a pinch into four holes on the block, test fitted the head to make sure I could get them back out, and used those to line up the head when I set 'er down on the block at final reassembly. Worked great.
sounds like a neat trick.

When I do my running around in about a hour, I will stp by the local guy's shop. I think I know him (used to be a volunteer ambulance guy and met him numerous times at the ER I've worked in for 15 years.....I think it's him, I will find out for sure though. But since he's a former dealer and works on toyotas and slls used ones, i'm sure he could be an excellant resource, and if all else fails he was always a nice guy and i'd like to see him anyways.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 PM

so i just ALMOST started working on the truck but i stopped myself.

i am horrified at the idea of losing or mixing up a bolt, so i think that i will wait until i get a new cover so i could just pull the bolts out of one and place them in the new one and mask them down.

ok so i just justified not doing anything AGAIN.

should i get the complete timing cover with new water pump and oil pump for (I think) $155 from engnbldr.......i'm thinking i should,even though i have no issue with either pump that i know of but figure i should replace them while i'm there.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
User Requested Ban

oh man, I was excited 'an update' figured you did something ... but alas

time to do an engine conversion.

I'm thinking 1 ton running gear and cummins motor?

anyone...anyone?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by theAuthority
oh man, I was excited 'an update' figured you did something ... but alas

time to do an engine conversion.

I'm thinking 1 ton running gear and cummins motor?

anyone...anyone?
NOPE, just the same old whining.

And actually, just was checking out the ebay listing for engnbldr and saw it includes a timing set with steel guides.......sounds like an excellent price.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM

and $74 for the complete gasket set wit head bolts.

$74 + $155 = $229 to do this, plus FIPG and a new pulley bolt and odds and ends , sounds like need $300 or less.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
User Requested Ban

Could do a cummins swap for $3000 or less?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
i am horrified at the idea of losing or mixing up a bolt, so i think that i will wait until i get a new cover so i could just pull the bolts out of one and place them in the new one and mask them down.
Grab the attachment in this post (right click and "save as"). Print it and tape on a piece of cardboard. Cut slits and poke the bolts through in the proper places. I made one for the timing cover bolts and another for the oil and water pump. Beats a hand-scribbled diagram.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM

thanks.....between that and 4crawlers info from his site, it's a big help.

do you agee with the full kit (cover,chain etc,oil and water pump)? seems like a good deal for all you get.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 AM

there is no doubt that i need to take off my oil pan. anybody got any good pics or step by step instructions how to do this.

I DON'T have jackstands......will this matter? I have a 3 ton floor jack but I DO have 2 bottle-jacks if that means anything.

The G-D Haynes manual says"remove the bolts and detach the oil pan"....along with "remove the idler arm and Pitman arm and remove the front crossmember.

OUCH!....but notice I'm bleeding while reading 4crawler's instructions.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
there is no doubt that i need to take off my oil pan. anybody got any good pics or step by step instructions how to do this.

I DON'T have jackstands......will this matter? I have a 3 ton floor jack but I DO have 2 bottle-jacks if that means anything.

The G-D Haynes manual says"remove the bolts and detach the oil pan"....along with "remove the idler arm and Pitman arm and remove the front crossmember.

OUCH!....but notice I'm bleeding while reading 4crawler's instructions.
You can have me come down there and do this for ya. I've had to do it 3 times on mine within the past month hehe

You do not have to remove the front crossmember. you just need to undo the motor mounts on each side of the motor, and jack up on the trans till the top of the trans hits the firewall/tunnel. Some people have taken down the sway bar, but i didn't. You will most likely have to undo the top mount on the steering stabilizer though so you have enough room around the front to work.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 AM

found the thread i was searching for...posting for reference

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-191399/
Old 11-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
You can have me come down there and do this for ya. I've had to do it 3 times on mine within the past month hehe

You do not have to remove the front crossmember. you just need to undo the motor mounts on each side of the motor, and jack up on the trans till the top of the trans hits the firewall/tunnel. Some people have taken down the sway bar, but i didn't. You will most likely have to undo the top mount on the steering stabilizer though so you have enough room around the front to work.

YIKES, 3x's!!!!!

My house is disease-ridden right now, little guy home from school this week with chicken pox, big guy home with stomach bug that started last night.

i'm going to check over that thrad i posted, i think i remember it being good.

any other good threads, post them up.....i have a heckuva time searching........i had to search through all MY posts to find that......mostly because i'm an idiot with the computer thang.

is your truck up and running XXXTREME???
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM

(note to self.......always check to see if there is a crack in the container you are draining oil into)

[IMG][/IMG]

And, um, was anybody else having trouble with YOTATECH???? Did I break that too??
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Looks like a mess for your son to clean up!

I too have had intermittent issues with Yotatech loading but they seem to have almost passed. I'm going to have to go with someone else on server was loading it heavily, assuming this site uses shared hosting as opposed to a dedicated server.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian

I too have had intermittent issues with Yotatech loading but they seem to have almost passed. I'm going to have to go with someone else on server was loading it heavily, assuming this site uses shared hosting as opposed to a dedicated server.

no clue what you just said......but, LUMPY said he was having problems too. i was getting all sweaty not being on YOTATECH for a few hours.......horrible feeling.

went out and bought some cheapo kitty litter and dumped on it....just what i needed too....sheesh!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM

no clue what you just said......but, LUMPY said he was having problems too. i was getting all sweaty not being on YOTATECH for a few hours.......horrible feeling.
Technical moonspeak, if you don't understand it, don't worry, the site seems to be fine now anyways.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Technical moonspeak, if you don't understand it, don't worry, the site seems to be fine now anyways.

good. because i don't. "ignorance is bliss"
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Except when you're ignoring your engine, get back to work!

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread