Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by theAuthority

???????????????????????
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The monster spiders and toilet fixing is what makes this interesting and an all together different build thread!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Carb Cleaner (acetone as I read on the label).....not good in cuts.....otherwise not bad......

Did some scrubbing in the basement with my toothbrushes and Carb Cleaner.....

Over #1 and #2

[IMG][/IMG]

over #3 and #4

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I took my game back outside so I could go crazy spraying the stuff (glasses in use)

I think it came out nice so far.......not the finished product, but a good start I think

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Probably going to do another round of scrubbing with the brake cleaner since I bought 2 more cans and I used up my 1 can I had of carb cleaner.........c-ya's

Last edited by 92 TOY; 11-05-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM

Ya know that rocker assembly should just pull out and make cleaning much easier...and you can take that old cam out as well.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM
User Requested Ban

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I have both, wasn't using either of them. But seriously, I didn't expect it from about 4 feet away.
???????????????????????

THAT
Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AWESOME!!! Do you do charity rides to raise the money. I bet that is fantastic to help the kids like that.

Ya the ride is Dec.5th for now we are running a Turkey Shoot Oct-Nov. then throw that ride into the pot we hope to have $2-3k to donate this year but Wal Mart for the last couple years has matched us dollar for dollar on gift cards so we double the donation but not so sure they are going to this year but will see.

OK....back to the silliness......

Last night after I posted that about the cleaning, my computer decided it didn't want to play anymore. After about an hour of it being really slow and threatening to put it in the weeds across the street I gave up.

"War & Peace", I like that.........

Pics coming soon.....no eyeball pics, sorry. It is irritated though.
BUMMER ON THE EYEBALL SHOT!

I plan on taking the head OUTSIDE so I don't die from all the fumes.....that stuff stinks.....I heard about that one ALOT last night.
OH the pains we deal with for our sweet little trucks
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Ya know that rocker assembly should just pull out and make cleaning much easier...and you can take that old cam out as well.

when I was taking the head off I thought that I should be able to pull those rails right off as per the directions, but I never got it loose. Probably was never off.

for cleaning purposes, yes that would be easier, but tell me some con's to doing that. I'm OK leaving it as-is if it's only for making cleaning easier because I'm doing alright the way it is.

Got a 268 cam laying around????? Hmmmmmmm????
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by theAuthority
THAT
yeah, OK, I think I got it. Thanks for that.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM

OLHARLEY.....on a serious note, I'm sure there are alot of kids that need what you are offering and hopefuly will "pay it forward" someday too when things turn around for them too.

Yeah, like I said, I try to keep my whining in perspective. In the broad scheme of things, I have nothing to whine about. Have to count our blessings each day. To have 2 healthy beautiful boys I have and the house and the vehicles and my wife, I have so much to be thankful for as well as still having our jobs.

So good job to you and the others and everyone who does something lke that for those less fortunate than us.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 11-05-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM

I'd take the rocker assembly off and apart. Without doing that you may be working gritty junk into the places that matter.

My rocker assembly didn't come off easily. I had to pry. A lot. An uncomfortable amount. Maybe they aren't all so difficult.

If you take it apart, keep everything in order. Don't mix up the rockers.

I've finally coverted to wearing glasses when using spray cleaners. Got a mist of brake cleaner in one eye, then not long after carb cleaner ricocheted into my other eye. A month or so later I developed problems with both of my corneas being dry. That happened months ago, yet the problem persists. I can't say for sure it's from the solvents, but I strongly suspect they were the cause or at least a trigger.

Wear glasses when using solvents. And gloves. 100 packs of nitrile gloves are only about $8 from Harbor Freight.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as machining...as long as it didn't over heat you "should" be alright in just doing a good cleaning.
ha! i didn't even clean mine! just picked off the gasket with my fingernail (for some reason, my head gasket came off REALLY easily), put a new gasket on, and dropped the head back on. runs better now than before, so far i got no complaints.

prolly not the smartest, but i was in a hurry.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I have an L.C.Engineering cam that would work for you here $100 or maybe when you get to the point if you have not got one and I still have it I will just send it to you for shipping.

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-05-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
ha! i didn't even clean mine! just picked off the gasket with my fingernail (for some reason, my head gasket came off REALLY easily), put a new gasket on, and dropped the head back on. runs better now than before, so far i got no complaints.

prolly not the smartest, but i was in a hurry.
You must be the luckiest SOB I've ever heard of.....
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

I have an L.C.Engineering cam that would work for you here $100 or maybe when you get to the point if you have not got one and I still have it I will just send it to you for shipping.
honestly, replacing the cam is not on this tear-down.....next time , when I do a header and increase the performance in and out I will cam it.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must be the luckiest SOB I've ever heard of.....
nah, i just know how to do this job cuz i'd done it before on other vehicles. once you've done one, they are all easier whether is the same engine or not. just minor differences that are easy to get around with the help of a handy dandy forum such as yotatech. therefore, once i had it open, i took a look at the head, saw it was "good enough" and made the decision to just throw it back together knowing that if i had to do it again in the future that i could easily pull it apart and put it back together again on a saturday. so i wasn't that worried about it.

plus, this is my only vehicle. it might've been different if i had a spare vehicle to drive in the meantime. plus, i really don't drive that much in my truck. i think i've only averaged about 5-6000 miles a year since i've owned it.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM

honestly, replacing the cam is not on this tear-down.....next time , when I do a header and increase the performance in and out I will cam it.
Here is a little hint. DO THE CAM!!!! You will be sooooooo much happier when you do. if you don't I know you'll kick yourself.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 AM

Here is a little hint. DO THE CAM!!!! You will be sooooooo much happier when you do. if you don't I know you'll kick yourself.
you guys are killin' me.........
Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 AM

on a more pertinent note......

where do i get a new crankshaft bolt from? dealer? engnbldr? internet sucks for trying to find that part. if i am needing to get that from the dealer, is there anything else i need from them? I plan on getting everything else from engnbldr.

on an earlier post there was a recommendation of getting a spark plug thread repair thingy from harbor freight. the question of is it a 14mm that i needed came up. any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM

that "thread chaser" is listed here

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97277

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread