86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
JERRY!

I'm telling you man, it's time to give that poor truck a frame-up...

yo. what's up? do you log on like once a year?

not sure if you mean body lift or restoration...but,it's running fine and doing well. still is my daily ride.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow!! I hadnt realized it is coming up on the 3rd year this year since you started this thread. Glad to hear the truck is working well for you. To have one from new until now is something to proud of. It survived all of your younger years at that.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Wow!! I hadnt realized it is coming up on the 3rd year this year since you started this thread. Glad to hear the truck is working well for you. To have one from new until now is something to proud of. It survived all of your younger years at that.

hehehe. yes. if only it could talk. which I am quite thankful it cannot.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, ..................you, .................. WUZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP? Hehehe. But no, seriously....................'DUDE, ....what's mine say?' lol.

Bless you and yours, buddy!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 AM

well...my alternator crapped out yesterday on the way home last night.

tow strap to the rescue, pulled the truck home with the wife's 4runner. Brandon or LUMPY know that isn't easy because it's like a 2 mile uphill portion....Joe at the wheel....got home without a problem. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but kinda out of necessity. nearest tow truck (based on experience) is over an hour away (during business hours) and probably much more than that at 8pm.

have a spare, I think. RUSKYMX gave me one from his V6 4runner last summer. will have to see if it fits.

nonetheless, have to struggle to get it out of my truck. so far this morning, it's a PITA.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-15-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad you got it home safely, I dont care for towing unless it is someone I know that has the experience, teach it where the one being towed does all of the braking. Also using a tow rope is so much better then a chain. I have one for situations just like that.

I dont if a V6 will work or not. Hope all goes well. Make sure you disconnect the battery, I forgot one time and sure enought I grounded the the wire and got sparks, luckily no damage.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 AM

V6 alternator physically looks the same except the pulley has ridges versus the 1 I have on my truck just has a single groove. looks like I will be spending money. and I cannot see the plug on the back. that may be different as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 AM

a few weeks back, I tightened up my alternator belt. for whatever reason, it was loose...only when it was under load would it squeal (lights on or lights and wipers on). was kinda embarrassing, so I tightened it up. that much was a PITA. I didn't get it super tight as I know I should leave some movement possible.

shortly thereafter, noted a "wooooo" sound from under the hood. figured the alternator was probably going. for the last week, has been weaker starting than usual.....thought maybe the battery was going.

kiss of death was last night, I said (at work) that I was gonna leave 15mins early because I thought my battery was dying and thought I might need a jump. got about a mile and a half away at a stop sign and my dash warning lights lit up until I gave it some gas. I called home and told the wife I would be lucky to make it home under my own power. watched the wipers get slower and slower, then the stereo (was off) started beeping as it lost power. shut the wipers off (it was pouring) and made it just into town before it totally stopped running (I guess I was on pure battery) and parked it. the wife and Joe came down and hooked my strap (much longer than I thought). the wife gave me a couple of tugs (me yelling out the window like a big idiot to "GO!, GO!") and she stopped and said she wasn't gonna do it. left me with little choice but to throw Joe in my truck and drive the wife's 4runner. towed us home (again, mostly uphill), passed a state trooper coming the other way (figured for sure I would get us pulled over...but he kept going) and towed us about the 5 mile journey.

truck sits in the garage now. took the battery connections off, air intake tube off, skid plate off and was working on the pivot bolt on the bottom of the alternator.

guess I have to drain my TOYOTA RED coolant ($$$$) and keep at it from the bottom.

to make you all feel better about you own lives, add in that my little guy is sick and the washing machine puked on the floor last night massively (2nd time in a week.....front load, thought I fixed it by cleaning the seal real good....and it did not leak through about 20 subsequent uses, but now it did).

don't know how, but I resisted the urge to consume alcohol last night....just figured no good could come of that.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM

WOW, so sorry man! Glad you kept a clean head after all said and done! lol. Sorry bout the boy being ill, too... NOT OK! Interceding in Prayer for a quick recovery!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

IFF they are interchangeable, and I am not sure try just swapping pulleys. Might save you a few dollars. Around here they are $94 and the without a core it is $40 more.

I have had to switch pulleys from a serptine style belt to the V belt, just dont rembember if it was on a Toyota.

I just used a C clamp on the pulley and a wrench. Tried to use the least almount of pressure on the pulleys. Usually arent on to tight.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For what it's worth...I have never replaced a denso alternator. I just keep replacing the brushes. $15 and I am back on the road. Plus the hardest part is getting the alternator out, I always have to drain the radiator fluid out and remove the lower hose too. There are three screws on the back cover, remove that and there lies the brushes. Get the entire holder assembly from Toyota...

What ever you do, don't get rid of the alternator as a core.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM

thanks guys.

yes...if I can swap out this alternator with the spare, I'm good.

the spare is a TOYOTA one ....mine is a rebuilt.

assuming I can do the swap, I will learn to rebuild mine.

$132 here or $192 without the core at AUTOZONE. worse at ADVANCE. only 2 choices around here.....other than the TOYOTA dealer. And already have 1 kidney spoken for to the mortgage company.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I meant to mention, I would keep the Toy starter. I havent ever replaced brushes but it sounds easy. The 2 I have traded in were not Toyotas. I actually need one for the 86 and am hunting for a Denso or the factory one.

If you have to buy one, might try Oriellys, the stores zip is 64831 Anderson ,Mo. Shipping cant be that bad

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I meant to mention, I would keep the Toy starter. I havent ever replaced brushes but it sounds easy. The 2 I have traded in were not Toyotas. I actually need one for the 86 and am hunting for a Denso or the factory one.

If you have to buy one, might try Oriellys, the stores zip is 64831 Anderson ,Mo. Shipping cant be that bad

think ya meant alternator.

I think NAPA has that stuff too. I got Joe's starter from there....DENSO.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Jerry, ....

My NAPA alternator is their Denso Innards Version. They have 2, IIRC.... Napa carries altrom(same as Aisin) and I believe they use Denso stuff's as well for some things. They've changed a lot in the last 2 years... so can't be sure, but might be worth a call if you're going for aftermarket replacement but want 'Denso Inner Parts'????
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM

wife just got home. I cried a little as I drained my antifreeze. oh well.

Ahhh.... typing the same thing at same time, lol... like minds, eh? (Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you're as nuts as I am! hahahha)

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Jerry, ....

My NAPA alternator is their Denso Innards Version. They have 2, IIRC.... Napa carries altrom(same as Aisin) and I believe they use Denso stuff's as well for some things. They've changed a lot in the last 2 years... so can't be sure, but might be worth a call if you're going for aftermarket replacement but want 'Denso Inner Parts'????
thanks...gonna try the switcheroo route right now.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ahhh.... typing the same thing at same time, lol... like minds, eh? (Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you're as nuts as I am! hahahha)

and again..
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM

PS> Dude at Napa told me that the "Japanese Coolant" stuff they carry is the same crap as Toyota... Not sure how true that is, but he said, "Autozone, etc., all carry it... they just don't push it as they make more money on the Green stuff!" lol.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread