Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
My son is bored too.

Here's the LEGO version of is truck (not completed because it needs some black sharpie to be complete). He even got the roll-bar in there.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Isn't that sweet all the kids are in and warm! I don't have a play house yet...someday I will and then she'll never see me!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Yeah, but it still gets cold in there. Put my HEAD in the old wagon and took it to the basement...AKA "THE LAB".......aka Barbershop, ya didn't think I PAY someone to make my hair look THAT sweet did ya?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. i missed a lot since i was on this morning. anyways, don't forget about picking me up in michigan too! i'll join the party in PA to help! i think once you get this thing done it will be a victory for more than just you! personally, i know i'll be excited for you when you start driving it down the street for the first time! i know i'm not the only one!

also, x3 on the impact socket. i've personally NEVER broken a single regular socket in the last 12-ish years i've been doing car work, but i buy good craftsman sockets to begin with, not the crap tools you can buy at an ace hardware. not saying they WON'T break, just saying they haven't yet, and i've put them through their paces. but the impact socket. . .well, if you break an impact socket, give up.

as for breaking things, my initial thought is due to static force vs. dynamic force. kinda hard to explain properly, but basically, if you pull slowly on a breaker bar (like with your hand), the socket experiences different kinds of forces than if you quickly jerk it (like the starter trick). it might be able to withstand a quick jerk but not a slow pull. i'm not 100% sure, i might have it backwards.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 PM

oh yeah, and i don't think anyone else mentioned it. don't use a 12 point. you're just asking to round that bolt head and then you're totally screwed.

have you tried heating it with a torch yet?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM

No, I did it slow, because I wasn't quite sure my webbing would hold, but obviously it did.

x1000 on the impact socket. That baby is mine when I take back that split one.

Torch??? Should I do that with or without the puddle of gas??

I will not use a 12pt again, I know what you mean, there is evidence already.

Yes sir, it will be sweet to hit the road in this thang.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
lmfao, now THAT'S dedicated...

3 Toys in the garage staying nice and warm and toasty, protected from the elements, and the CADILLAC is the one left out in the weather getting covered in snow
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Torch??? Should I do that with or without the puddle of gas??
with the puddle gas, of course. it'll help provide more heat.

seriously though, why do you have a puddle of gas by your crank bolt? any spilt gas that might have occurred during the head removal should have long since evaporated by now.

Last edited by ayoung101; 10-16-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 AM

oh yeah, and i put about 100 miles on my truck yesterday, most of it was freeway driving somewhere between 75-85mph. it ran great, had heat the whole way, engine temp was dead nuts where it was supposed to be the whole way, i'm happy!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
oh yeah, and i put about 100 miles on my truck yesterday, most of it was freeway driving somewhere between 75-85mph. it ran great, had heat the whole way, engine temp was dead nuts where it was supposed to be the whole way, i'm happy!

That's awesome (I'm jealous)!!

No, no gas. I was referring to the "should I be standing in gas or water " earlier when we were talking about zapping the starter.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:48 AM

Guys, not to be a total doofus, but I am sitting here thinking of asking Santa Claus for some new tools. Should I ALWAYS use a 6-point socket??? I am a bit concerned aout the slippage of a 12 point in the case of my bolt and once on the idler puller bolt (I'm getting smarter...I can name things now!!!).

Thinking back, I don't think I ever had an issue with stripping a bolt before, but I never dealt with the foot-pounds that these things have.

Total newbie question, but I think it's a good one.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 AM

Oh yeah, here's a picture of my latest victim......

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-17-2009, 05:29 AM

personally, i think in my entire life, i've had to deal with a total of up to 5 12-point bolts. i just don't see the point to them. i own a full set of 12 points, but only cuz they came included with my 400-ish piece tool kit that i got back when i was like 15. i would never buy a 12 point, that's for sure. if i had none, i would only buy 12 point sockets individually as needed.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 AM

I only say this because I remember IAMSUPERBLEEDER saying about getting a 6-point socket and I thought "what the hell is that?". But as I go forward i realize the importance of it versus the 12-point. The disadvantage(of a 6-point) I can see if maneuverability of the wrench attached, especially a non-ratcheting breaker-bar with a 3 foot extension, it was either have it almost touching the driver's side fender and have no pulling ability because i would have to pull "up" or have it at almost the 12 o'clock position. The advantage is having an ABSOLUTE grip on the bolt.

I am heading out, early this afternoon, to , among other places, go to ACE Hardware and take them up on their warranty and get me a 1/2' drive 19mm short impact socket and maybe some change.

Maybe, I will try again later........I agree with the ''quick jerk" that you said in as much as that (to me) is the same technique an impact wrench is using trying to pound that bolt loose with pulses of force.(in my brain that's what I think)
Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 AM

well, i know you live out in the middle of nowhere and may not have a choice, but ace hardware probably isn't the best place to pick up QUALITY tools. at the minimum, i always buy craftsman, cuz they are still relatively easy on the wallet (compared to actual GOOD quality tools like snap-on), but they are still really tough tools, and still have a lifetime warranty, even without a reciept. you can get them at any sears or kmart, and you can replace them if necessary at any sears or kmart. just DON'T buy craftsman's little brother, companion. my step-mom bought me some companion tools from sears, instead of craftsman, because she couldn't tell a difference other than the price. they don't have a warranty at all, and they keep breaking and i keep replacing with craftsman.

but while you are buying tools, buy a 19mm (i think it's 19mm, right?) box wrench and try the jack trick. you won't have the twisting problem using a box wrench.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 AM

I forgot SEARS sells at KMART. That's a good thing.

Anyway, I WILL buy quality stuff. just that , right now, ACE owes me.

I'm not REALLY that farin the boondocks......well I guess that depends on your version. It's about 28 miles to SEARS / 25 miles to KMART / 19 miles to ACE / 5 miles to CVS / 5 miles for gas or a pizza or gas from a pizza.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:42 AM

if i were you, just get your money back from ace, and go to sears. skip kmart, go the extra 3 miles to sears. you actually have a chance of finding someone who is helpful at sears. it's more likely at kmart that no one will be able to answer any question you have on tools, whereas typically at sears at least one person will be able to help.

and yes, that is the boonies. i live in detroit metro. we have what our realtor described as a "large spacious front & back yard". our entire lot is i think a 1/4 acre. haha. i'm definitely jealous of you living in the boonies. i miss it. i'm a small town boy that moved to the city. i will say i enjoy only having to drive a few miles to get to sears or really any store for that matter, but other than that, in the words of john denver, thank god i'm a country boy!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 AM

Lived in the "city" for 35 years. A small "city" getting more depressed (the "city", not me)and worse every day but it was still my home and always will be. Moved here 4 years ago (about 18 miles west of my "city") and bougt a 1+ acre corner lot and over-built the house. My basement is as much square footage as our old house and our actual livingspace is over 2x's the sq footage of the old place. We had lived in a 1/2 double house for 1 years after we were married and made the jump, mostly for our kids but also for ourselves. The mortgage is over 5x's what our old one was, so that's why I scratch my butt looking for spare change alot. But, overall, it's worth it. Our elevation is probably 800 feet higher and we live at the tree tops , I look out my window at the tops of trees with about a 180 degree view "forever".

Now we couldn't even imagine living in the old house and having to "SHHHHHHH" the kids all the time.

I have a 3 car garage to keep our babies safe and dry.

Not bragging, well, a little, but there are definite plusses and minuses of living "in the boondocks"......you become very good at picking up stff "on the way home" and planning every time you leave the house, especially with gas$$$$ the way it is. Downside, there's no Police dept, just the State Police.........but a neigbor happens to be a Trooper, plus I'm CRAZY AS HELL, so I'm cool with people if they want to "try" to rob us.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 10-17-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
It sounds like you have a nice spot to call home...

Were not out as far as you are but have about 1.5 acre and woods in the back. I can walk out in my underware and the neighbors aren't close enough to complain. We have 2 yellow dogs (full yellow labs).

So anyway on with the story....

6 point are way stronger and will do much better. When you get the impact socket but the bar on it and smack it with a hammer and put pressure on it at the same time. Take the pipe and grunt on it and have a boy smack the back of the bar a few times.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 AM

Ok........................, my neighbors are about 200 feet to one side and about 150 the other way, but the way the acoustics are around here, you can "talk" to themno problem at that distance....weird. and no underwear walking here.

yeah, my plan is to upgrade my socket and give it a shot.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread