Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that engine looks good, hard to believe you've never done anything like this before.
My guides are still good but when I have to do them I will definitely be referring to your other thread.

Kind of bummed you're done though, I miss reading about it.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
thanks Pruney....
Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3000 miles and not even a drip of any kind....Way to go. When you think back on the start of this rebuild, did you ever think it won't get done. It won't run. It's gonna leak like a sieve. I know I would've been thinking these things. Probably will when mine goes.

Enjoy these friuts of your labor.

Is there a thread for your sons 4Runner?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
look in 92 Toy's sig for his son's build thread.

I'll let him do the speaking of what he thought was gonna happen on first start and what did happen, but I was there when he first started it.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
3000 miles and not even a drip of any kind....Way to go. When you think back on the start of this rebuild, did you ever think it won't get done. It won't run. It's gonna leak like a sieve. I know I would've been thinking these things. Probably will when mine goes.

Enjoy these friuts of your labor.

Is there a thread for your sons 4Runner?
only leak is the one i mentioned soon after the 1st start and that is from the back of the oil pan .....minor....a few drips a day after it's running....assuming i smooshed the FIPG when i was arguing putting the pan back on. the plus-minus of taking the pan down again to seal it perfectly leaves me at leaving it alone for now.

but, yes, that is the only negative.

as far as looking back.....well, when i'm feeling all negative and stuff, i think about the whole rebuild thing and then i feel better.

i truly did not think it was going to start at the 1st turn of the key and certainly i didn't think it was going to last. but it did, and it has. so either i did a good job or the engine is that fool-proof.

as far as Joe's 4runner.....stopped working on it....on the brink of being at the point of no return.....lack of funds and equipment (engine hoist and stand and rebuild kit etc) made me leave it at this point.

a hoist .....i may have a prospect on one to borrow....i'll have to see.

for now, have to un-screw some badness happening ....hopefully will happen soon and i can get back on track, so the 4runner is on the back burner.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
look in 92 Toy's sig for his son's build thread.

I'll let him do the speaking of what he thought was gonna happen on first start and what did happen, but I was there when he first started it.

and definitely i still appreciate you being there....was nervous as all hell that day and all your help from setting the valves to being able to navigate the web to get the vacuum hose diagrams to just being there when it started smoking and reassuring me it was the paint curing.

some uh-oh moments at that 1st start when i realized i had not tightened 2 coolant hoses.....other than that...all was good.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 AM

soooooo.....a little thing i've noticed over the past month or so it as apparent exhaust leak somewhere that i can only hear when the engine is cold.......lasts only about 30 seconds or so, so for me to try to pin it down has been a bit elusive.

was hoping, and praying it was not coming from where the exhaust manifold meets the head....as i have heard this is kinda not uncommon after messing around. thankfully, this is not the case.

just a few minutes ago, Joe and i were outside, just kinda messing around (in reality i was rigging up a support for the front of my muffler.........the little soup can patch job is holding up, but since the muffler itself is not supported, all the weight is being held by the soup can patch and the tail pipe support.....and a small exhaust pipe hanger just rear of the muffler......so when the patch-job lets go the muffler droops down badly....so it's now supported in the front too, due to some rig-job "there, i fixed it" kinda job)

anyway.........had the hood up, started the engine and saw a little wisp of liquid (presume exhaust condensation) come from where the bottom of the exhaust manifold meets the down pipe and then quickly evaporated and then, like i said the leak is gone. the leak can honestly only be heard from inside the truck which led me to believe that it was probably going to be from that joint anyway so that is why my eyeballs were pointed there.

can't recall if there was a torque value for those 3 nuts anyway, or if it was just tight enough.....so, i will assemble my extra long contraption of extensions and give it just a bit more muscle. and yes, i did use new gaskets in that area too.

oh well, that was a long winded , boring post.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 AM

and yes, i know i need to get rid of the soup can patch job and get it welded........just that i have other places to burn money right now.....so it will have to do for now.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
be sure the exhaust manifold is still tight. Very good chance they have backed off some and once it warms up the gasket swells just a little & seals it up.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yup, had to re-torque my header down a few times before it "settled" in and stopped leaking.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
be sure the exhaust manifold is still tight. Very good chance they have backed off some and once it warms up the gasket swells just a little & seals it up.
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
yup, had to re-torque my header down a few times before it "settled" in and stopped leaking.

nervous as all hell about doing that, as i did not use new exhaust studs.....so i am afraid of breaking one. so i will leave well enough alone on this one. there are no visible sighs of leakage at the area of the exhaust manifold / head area and i did use my stethoscope (standard issue....i have a "few" of them) to check for leaks there too.

i will tighten up the downpipe / manifold joint, since this area is the area of the problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If/when you decide you want to tighten up the manifold to the head, lube the studs real well with some 3 in 1. Back the nuts off and clean the threads real well. Reoil and then tighten, again. How they break is when the nut drags from too much friction and twists the studs. It's when they twist that they break. Unless your studs are just looking rather fragile already. I broke a few on my last rebuild and just got some replacement bolts of the same size to fix it. They didn't have studs on hand of the same size. All they had in stock was for american motors. Eventually I'll get some studs, though.

Oh yeah.......and where the bolts are, I had to helicoil the holes. Little did I realize the paint they'd sprayed the head with (at the shop that rebuilt it) would cause problems trying the thread the original studs back in. Fubar'd that one, I did.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You're probably leaking were the down pipe connects off the manifold. I had to retighten mine a few times. The manifold/head was fine. I actually lost one of the 3 nuts that hold the down pipe on.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 AM

2 days ago took an impromptu wheeling trip (old stomping grounds of mine, havent been there in over 15 years, so it was all new to me)

had a good time.....just me and my 2 boys, my brother-in-law, his wife and son.....so besides some splashing, it was pretty tame......this is what i thought Rausch was like.....i was a bit wrong.

some pics------>>>>>>

brother-in-law bought this J%#P about 3 months ago....came with a Rausch Creek sticker

wheeeeee!!!!

was careful taking this pic...i said if i fell, i would fall for about a half an hour before i ended up in the river

Joe posing

driving facing the sun wasn't much fun, but it was about 6pm

not my hands......i told Joe....you pick the lines.......i even let the little guy do some (of course he was belted in a booster seat and we were all belted as well)

about as stuffed as my tires ever get

still have some nice reach

what it looked like when we got home.....boys were proud of the mess, so was i.....mommy, not so impressed "Oh GOD!" was the quote.

spooky cigarette smoke

one more scenery shot

and my favorite pic from the day...

ummmm, yeah....the engine isn't clean any more either
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GREAT PICS, BRUDDA! Always enjoy reading/looking at pics from your Father-Son adventures! GO JOE! Already a wheelin fool, eh? lol...

Take care, Jerry, thanks for posting this... looked like a great time!

PS> Bet you needed that, too, eh? lol...

Mark
Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 AM

ooooh ye...needed out real bad.

thanks Chef...i try, i try.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, glad to see you're up and running, finally. i've been so farking busy the last 6 months i haven't had time to get on yotatech. and now i'm selling my truck!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/1935319230.html, if you're interested!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
hey, glad to see you're up and running, finally. i've been so farking busy the last 6 months i haven't had time to get on yotatech. and now i'm selling my truck!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/1935319230.html, if you're interested!
that's a blast from the past.

up and running as of may 20th. 3,000 trouble-free miles thus far.

good to hear from ya.

good luck with the sale.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM

on the issue of the exhaust.......

1st of all, spent probably as much money buying repair stuff than if i just had it welded (still the broken weld from 4 wheeling in June) but anyhoo, bought some goop and brace and strapping and now it's together again.

secondly, as far as the 3 bolts to the down pipe......1 was tight, 1 had about a turn and a half, and one i finger-tightened before wrenching on it (it was that loose) and just like that it's fixed....again.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
keep an eye on those 3 little guys...I have tightened mine on 3 different occasions. Donno why they like to come loose like that. I don't want to goop them cuz then they'd never come off...

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread