Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The exhaust side is MAYBE a 2 hour job, and that is allowing plenty of smoke & YT breaks. Intake side, maybe half a day.....so this thing should be running tomorrow????
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That gold paint is classy! i dig it. I give you one more week and you'll be looking back at this wondering were the time went.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You have some water hoses and vacuum lines under the intake. Make sure you do them with the radiator is out as it is alot easier to get to and I went over the tire to get at some. Watch torquing your exhaust manifold to the head as it will strip out easily. I learned the hard way. Not fun!! This motor is looking good. Hows the anxiety on hearing it run?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
The exhaust side is MAYBE a 2 hour job, and that is allowing plenty of smoke & YT breaks. Intake side, maybe half a day.....so this thing should be running tomorrow????
the hardest thing i see right now about the exhaust is making my hands small enough to reach the one tube back by the firewall that hooks into the tube that runs on top of the manifold.

other than that , i will have to make up my contraption again with all the extensions to reach all the way up to hook the manifold to the down pipe.

Originally Posted by mightymouse
That gold paint is classy! i dig it. I give you one more week and you'll be looking back at this wondering were the time went.
i thought it was going to look stupid on the brace, but you can't even see the brace, and on the pulley it looks good enough that i wish i had done it on other stuff too.

i have time today to work on it. the wife knows how badly i want to get this done so she's kinda backed off me a little about spending time on it. and truthfully, i need to do it when i am alone, i like to think things through...ALOT and i rarely like help or distractions when i am working.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You have some water hoses and vacuum lines under the intake. Make sure you do them with the radiator is out as it is alot easier to get to and I went over the tire to get at some. Watch torquing your exhaust manifold to the head as it will strip out easily. I learned the hard way. Not fun!! This motor is looking good. Hows the anxiety on hearing it run?
radiator and fan are going to be the last things to go in.....were the 1st things out...so i'm just reversing the order. but yes, in the department of elbow room, i would leave them out so i can maneuver my fat head in there to look around.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM

now, of course, i am going to read the FSM and Haynes and Chilton's before starting the exhaust side, but i swear i remember someone saying there was a specific order to tightening the exhaust manifold....middle to sides or was it front to back....or back to front?

nonetheless, i will be re-reading that part of the instructions....
Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 AM

here's a pic of the "contraption" i had to make to reach those bolts where the manifold meets the down pipe.....of course the ratchet will be replaced with a torque wrench..

Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
go jerry go jerry, its jason's bday! go jerry!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 AM

and i quote (from the book according to Haynes pg 69 chapter 2: verses 13 and 14)

"place a new exhaust manifold gasket in position on the cylinder head, then hold the manifold in place and install the mounting bolts / nuts finger tight. tighten the mounting bolts / nuts, in three or four steps to the specified torque. Work from the center out towards the ends to prevent distortion of the manifold."

AMEN.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 AM

torque specs are 33 ft / lbs for the manifold.

gonna have to see if that is the same for the manifold-to-downpipe as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Jerry you gonna want me to come down there this weekend to do your valve lash? If I do you won't have to get feeler gauge I have them.

That's if it's gonna be ready to start up though, gonna have to set them cold and then again after warm. And then again after about 500 miles or so.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-28-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Jerry you gonna want me to come down there this weekend to do your valve lash? If I do you won't have to get feeler gauge I have them.

That's if it's gonna be ready to start up though, gonna have to set them cold and then again after warm. And then again after about 500 miles or so.

iffy about this weekend...even though i am off.

saturday looks pretty good as far as getting stuff done...maybe.

i am going to try to knock as much off today as possible.....tomorrow i am off too, but have to take my mom for a procedure in the morning and will be wrapped up for several hours with that.....and after the kids get home tomorrow have to run around to get some last-minute stuff for Sunday because my little guy is receiving 1st Holy Communion...so saturday is going to be spent making sure everything is ready for that.

oh, yeah. working all day friday.

in other words.......i'm not sure.....

i will be off weds, thurs, friday next week....maybe we could hook up then if you are around. if i get enough done today and the next few days this thing may be ready for getting fired up one of those days next week.

what about timing.....can YOU do that? i have NO CLUE abut that stuff... so if you can set the valves and timing, that would be sweet.

you will be able to tell by what kind of progress i post as to whether or not i am ready to go.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
will do, yeah I can do the ignition timing as well, just got to read up on the check plug short on the re's as I don't have to deal with that on the carbed motor. I have the timing light and tach as well. You may or may not have to re adjust the idle speed as well. Will be kinda hard during the week since I work 3rd shift but we will see. do me a favor though, where the little notch in the crank pully is, can you put some whiteout or something on there before you button up the front end of the motor. It will be easier to pick it up when doing the ignition timing.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-28-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
will do, yeah I can do the ignition timing as well, just got to read up on the check plug short on the re's as I don't have to deal with that on the carbed motor. I have the timing light and tach as well. You may or may not have to re adjust the idle speed as well. Will be kinda hard during the week since I work 3rd shift but we will see.
no biggie. whatever works for you. i'm not in a huge hurry. like i said, you will be able to gauge by my progress, if i am near ready or not.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 04-28-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 AM

oh, and i'd like to point out, that it was JUST FRIGGIN SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I like what you got going on man!!! Timing is not all that bad and the valve lash will be fairly easy as well. Just got to get the right feeling. Now for the dizzy it more than likely be 1 tooth off in either direction due to the worm gear. I was off by 1 tooth and I have read that others were off by 1 or 2 as well.

Snowing???? Were a little chilly here but not near snowing...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I like what you got going on man!!! Timing is not all that bad and the valve lash will be fairly easy as well. Just got to get the right feeling. Now for the dizzy it more than likely be 1 tooth off in either direction due to the worm gear. I was off by 1 tooth and I have read that others were off by 1 or 2 as well.

Snowing???? Were a little chilly here but not near snowing...

yeh...no proof except if you check the radar. there are squalls around.. how stupid....and i think 78 by saturday.

almost ready to read about the distributor.

stand by.............................................
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM

OH

MY

GOD!

i got the exhaust manifold back on and i didn't break anything....i was soooooooooo friggin nervous about breaking a stud........but it's on......wooooooohooooooo
Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM

pics...

in my labeled bag there were 3 bolts that held the tube to the back of the timing cover on the exhaust side......tube only had 2 holes????....so i had an extra bolt........i suffered all day yesterday and again today trying to figure out how the hell that could be......so, now i made it extra tough on myself and have the power steering in the way so there was NOOOO chance of seeing there, so i felt around and sure enough i could feel where it should go......don't know what it was for, i have a feeling it's to hold the back of the power steering to the back of the cover but i'm not sure.....snapped a pic of the area but it really does not show anything...

OK....on with the show...

don't know why, but i felt like putting this sticker on...since i do officially have LC Engineering parts on here and the receipts to prove it......so here you are.

and this is how it started........i put PB BLaster on the studs and ran a nut on each of them....then i took each nut and put it on each bolt....to make sure there were no burrs or any issue...there were no issues....except, 1 stud had come out on disassemble and still had the nut attached....i left it like that "leave well enough alone...."

and then THIS....let me tell you, trying to get the 3 studs to line up with the down pipe while putting this on is a PITA and need 5 arms to make it happen.

and then this PITA thing.....very hard to make it line up with the tube it mates up with....VERRRRRY HARD indeed.....was having horrible thoughts at this point about having to remove the head because i thought i had something ass-backwards......but alas, i became creative........i excel in that department....

PINCH IT together with vice-grips....hehehehehe

with a little masking tape to protect everything...

and there ya have it.....everybody is torqued down to 33 ft/lbs like the book says.......finger tight from the center out and round and round for several passes until it was time to get the torque wrench on it..........

looking gooooood....

Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
and i quote (from the book according to Haynes pg 69 chapter 2: verses 13 and 14)

"place a new exhaust manifold gasket in position on the cylinder head, then hold the manifold in place and install the mounting bolts / nuts finger tight. tighten the mounting bolts / nuts, in three or four steps to the specified torque. Work from the center out towards the ends to prevent distortion of the manifold."

AMEN.
Amen!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM

now gonna stare at that magnificent fete for a few minutes and then go to work on getting those 3 nuts on the down pipe.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread