Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'91 Pickup, No acceleration, No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank for the help everyone! Im going to check the torque converter today, hope thats all...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM

I decided to remove the pan from the transmission just to take a look inside, i cant seem to fully remove it tho.... there is a cross-bar or something and it doesnt allow enough room to wiggle it out in any direction.... when i tried to loosen the bar alittle it broke my wrench! should i not remove or loosen that bar? is there something else i can move/remove/loosen to get the transmission pan all the way off?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get the pan off the dip stick bottom portion comes off with it, the sway bar also might need to be dropped down out of way, 2 12mm on each side.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

So i dropped the sway bar and got the pan all the way off...All the fluid drained looks clean... I removed the filter and it seems to be in great shape. However inside the transmission there are a couple of metal lines that have slight dents, i dont know if its a big deal or whatever but it doesnt seem right.... i will post a picture in a min
Old 04-12-2011, 02:56 PM

'91 Pickup, No acceleration, No Codes-photo2059.jpg
this is the transmission with the filter removed... i circled the dents in the lines... is this serious? would it cause any problems or should i just move on?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM

it looks like the lines have holes in them? if not just dented i would look for something else.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Gettin ready to drop the tranny tomorrow (if weather permits) and check the torque converter.... anybody know a good place to order a new one online? i dont want to cheap out and get a crappy one but my budget is limited.... also does the most basic rebuild kit come with all the seals and gaskets i need to put the transmission back in?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Here you can get it new: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...complete/r150f

Or try your local junkyard since you're on a budget, you'd have to visit one anyways for the rest of the bits and bobs.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks but I got a A340H.... and Im just lookin for the kit and a torque converter, not the whole tranny.... is it really a good idea to get that at a scrap yard? it would be alot of work to find out that the parts may not even be good....
Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

So Im in the process of dropping the transmission, I have a Chilton manual but there are no pictures in the transmission chapter and they seem to be using the wrong terminology? The manual actually refers to the transmission as "the back of the engine".... thats effing retarded, am I wrong?
Anyway Im wondering if anyone knows a better source for step-by-step directions or diagrams? I just want to make sure Im doing everything correctly.... I have replaced transmissions before but not on a yota and it was years ago.... also Im not entirely familiar with all of the "proper" names of parts.... so having a visual aid is helpful
At least I know the difference between the tranny and the engine tho....I cant believe the idiots they have writing the Chilton's....

Last edited by soopamaniackilla; 04-14-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM

hey use that fsm it works great.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM

So I was browsing some more forums on here... and found a guy having the same troubles I am.... he said that he fixed his problem by replacing the solenoids in the transmission.
In his case the O/D light was blinking a code....now, although im not pulling any codes, he also says that the solenoids can be failing mechanically, and that the codes only tell you of an electrical failure of the solenoids....
I figure since you dot have to drop the tranny to check/replace those, that it might be a good idea to test them.... but how do you go about checking the mechanical function of the solenoids? I thought about testing them with a multi-meter but thats electrical, and i figure it would bring up a code if they didnt have power to them....so yeah, how can i test that they are functioning mechanically?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM

try putting power to them and see if they move or click like they should..
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
try putting power to them and see if they move or click like they should..
at the risk of sounding like an idiot....how?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM

just had that problem on my 93 4runner come to find out the TPS was WOT (wide open throttle)
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 AM

use wire from battery and touch the power to the wire that feeds the solenoid. they ground out to the car so u should only need one wire i think positive... and how would tps at wot cause his problem?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by soopamaniackilla
Thanks but I got a A340H.... and Im just lookin for the kit and a torque converter, not the whole tranny.... is it really a good idea to get that at a scrap yard? it would be alot of work to find out that the parts may not even be good....
Nah, I'm pretty sure what you need is a R150F, a clutch, flywheel, clutch pedal, master and slave cyls, cables, etc...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Nah, I'm pretty sure what you need is a R150F, a clutch, flywheel, clutch pedal, master and slave cyls, cables, etc...
doesnt fit my budget at the moment...
Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
use wire from battery and touch the power to the wire that feeds the solenoid. they ground out to the car so u should only need one wire i think positive... and how would tps at wot cause his problem?
So I tried this and all i got was some sparks.... am i doing it wrong?
I took a length of copper wire, attached one end to the positive on the battery and touched the other end to the connector on the solenoid.... i didnt take off the wire connector on the solenoid... do i need to?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM

i would so power is running to solenoid only and not back into the ecu or anything,

here is how the manual says to check them . go to page 26.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...2/troubles.pdf

Quick Reply: '91 Pickup, No acceleration, No Codes