Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4runner 4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 4runner 4x4 not working

Hey Im new to the group and just got myself a 91 4Runner last week and think my 4x4 has stopped working already so looking for some help. I searched the forum and couldnt really find anything that described my issue so apologies if I have missed it. Its a 5speed manual and has manual hubs. When I test drove it the front hubs were set at free and when I put it in 4H the light came on so it was working then. Today I went for a drive in the snow down some forestry roads here in BC and put it in 4H going up a hill and the light didnt come on. There was a click from under the dash but no light. I stopped and turned the front hubs to lock position to see if that would make a difference and put it in 4H to see if that would work and reversed quick on the snow to see if front wheels were spinning and it looked like they were trying to spin but not properly engaged. I then changed it back to free on the hubs and when driving up the road there was a knocking noise from the front. This was not happening before I tried to manual lock the front hubs. I put it back into 2H and the noise went immediately. Also noticed that the wire from the diff with the white connector is now hanging off which i didnt notice before. Could I have damaged my front diff or could it be a case that the wire just randomly got disconnected and thats my issue? Also does anyone have a photo of where the other end of that wire is to connect to? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:59 PM

I stopped and turned the front hubs to lock position to see if that would make a difference and put it in 4H to see if that would work and reversed quick on the snow to see if front wheels were spinning and it looked like they were trying to spin but not properly engaged. I then changed it back to free on the hubs and when driving up the road there was a knocking noise from the front. This was not happening before I tried to manual lock the front hubs. I put it back into 2H and the noise went immediately. Also noticed that the wire from the diff with the white connector is now hanging off which i didnt notice before.

Last edited by Joeflanagan; 11-11-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM

I stopped and turned the front hubs to lock position to see if that would make a difference and put it in 4H and reversed quick on the snow to see if front wheels were spinning and it looked like they were trying to spin but not properly engaged. I then changed it back to free on the hubs and when driving up the road there was a knocking noise from the front. This was not happening before I tried to manual lock the front hubs. I put it back into 2H and the noise went immediately. Also noticed that the wire from the diff with the white connector is now hanging off which i didnt notice before.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:33 PM

I stopped and turned the front hubs to lock to see if that would help and put it in 4H and reversed quickly on the snow to see if they would spin. It looked like they were trying to spin but not properly engaged. I changed it back to free on the hubs and when driving there was a knocking from the front. This wasnt happening before i tried to lock front of hubs and noise went once I put it back in 2H. Also noticed wire from diff with white connector is hanging off which i didnt notice before. Does anyone have a photo of where the other end of that wire connects to? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
To actually get the front wheels, to drive, the hubs have to be locked. Otherwise they spin free instead of engaging with the axle halfshafts. I just spent last Saturday rebuilding my manual hubs for the exact same reason. You can jack up the front end and see if the halfshafts spin when you turn the front tires. The halfshafts should spin with the tires when the hubs are locked, but not when they are free. If the hubs don't engage and disengage smoothly, take them apart and see what is going on with them. I have a 91 pickup and will try to look and see if I have a similar wire. It will be a couple of days before that happens. Hopefully someone else can help you out sooner.

There are good youtube videos on the hub rebuild process. Its not too hard. It took me a couple of tries to get it right. The biggest trick was grabbing a few M8x1.25 nuts at the hardware store to use to pull the hub studs to free the cone washers. Put two nuts on a stud, lock them together, tap 3x with a brass drift, remove the stud and cone washer together. It took 2 minutes per stud and didn't damage any of the studs or cone washers.
'
Old 11-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have a photo of where that wire goes, but it sounds to me like the 4WD indicator wire. There's a switch in the transfer case that engages when you go into 4WD. The signal is carried by that wire up to the ECU and indicator lamp in the dash panel.They made the wire too short, really, and when the truck flexes, like going over very rough terrain, the wire pulls loose. Thus, the transmission and transfer case may be going into 4WD very nicely, when you shift into whichever range you desire, but you can't see the indicator light come on.
Happens on mine all the time. Only difference is that on mine, the wire pulls out of the plug shell, rather than the plug pulling apart. I've repaired it I don't know how many times, buuuut...
I'm going to have to get new plug shells, now. Mine can barely hold onto the wire any more.

Anywho, the other half of the plug should match color, and shape, and be hanging pretty close by to that general area, on the passenger side of the transfer case. It comes down past the wheel well, in the engine compartment. Just follow the wires in that area until you find the one that reaches that far, and matches the other half of the plug. It's not that hard to find, really.

All that aside, make sure when you lock the hubs in, BOTH half-shafts are engaged to their associated wheel. You should be able to turn the wheel while holding the half-shaft, and it should turn, even though you're trying to hold it still. Alternatively, you should not be able to turn the half-shaft by hand when the wheel is being held still. Easier check, really, as you don't need to jack up the truck. Not unless you're a really big person, and can't fit under the truck
If one half-shaft doesn't fully engage, the transfer case can't power the front wheels.

Good luck to you!
Pat☺
Old 11-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all that info guys. When I tried to rotate the half shafts they wouldn't move when in 4H which is a good sign I suppose so will try find the connector for the hanging wire and hopefully that will sort it out. Will try that this afternoon and let ye know if that works.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dbittle
To actually get the front wheels, to drive, the hubs have to be locked. Otherwise they spin free instead of engaging with the axle halfshafts. I just spent last Saturday rebuilding my manual hubs for the exact same reason. You can jack up the front end and see if the halfshafts spin when you turn the front tires. The halfshafts should spin with the tires when the hubs are locked, but not when they are free. If the hubs don't engage and disengage smoothly, take them apart and see what is going on with them. I have a 91 pickup and will try to look and see if I have a similar wire. It will be a couple of days before that happens. Hopefully someone else can help you out sooner.

There are good youtube videos on the hub rebuild process. Its not too hard. It took me a couple of tries to get it right. The biggest trick was grabbing a few M8x1.25 nuts at the hardware store to use to pull the hub studs to free the cone washers. Put two nuts on a stud, lock them together, tap 3x with a brass drift, remove the stud and cone washer together. It took 2 minutes per stud and didn't damage any of the studs or cone washers.
'
Yo hardly had a chance to take a photo of where that wire from the transfer case goes to. I have been looking everywhere under the car and can't seem to find the connector. Do you hardly know if it's drivers side or passenger side even?

Cheers