Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 3.0 intake problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 3.0 intake problem?

wondering if anyone else has had problems with their vehicles involving the air intake. My Runner runs rough, hardly any power. It’s definitely fuel related because it runs super rich, so I know it’s not the fuel pump, there’s no gas in the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator so I don’t have a reason to believe it’s that, brand new spark plugs and wires and distributor looks just fine, and I read something online that it could be problems with/partially clogged. The vehicle sat for few years so it wouldn’t surprise me if something got sucked up in there. Just looking for some ideas, thanks.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Does it have good spark. My truck had a Spark that wasn’t constant when I put a spark plug tester on a plug wire. It was a very random kind of spark and it was running rough. Tried a distributor I had laying around and presto smooth idle/spark and no more surging at 1/8 throttle. Also when I put a timing gun on it the span of the mark was like 30 degrees it was hopping around. Now it only varies about 3 or 5 degrees with good distributor. My intake makes a funny groggy sound once and a while that’s why I clicked on this thread. If it’s not the dist. Maybe clogged injectors or evap leak. Is there a hissing sound? my pcv hose was loose and leaking so I replaced it the other day but it didn’t really make a difference.. that was before I replaced the dist.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM

I think the afm has a code it will throw
Old 04-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drewandhis89Yota
Does it have good spark. My truck had a Spark that wasn’t constant when I put a spark plug tester on a plug wire. It was a very random kind of spark and it was running rough. Tried a distributor I had laying around and presto smooth idle/spark and no more surging at 1/8 throttle. Also when I put a timing gun on it the span of the mark was like 30 degrees it was hopping around. Now it only varies about 3 or 5 degrees with good distributor. My intake makes a funny groggy sound once and a while that’s why I clicked on this thread. If it’s not the dist. Maybe clogged injectors or evap leak. Is there a hissing sound? my pcv hose was loose and leaking so I replaced it the other day but it didn’t really make a difference.. that was before I replaced the dist.
Yeah good spark, but yeah it kind of has a hissing sound but I couldn’t find any leaks, and I’m in the middle of taking the intake manifold off and cleaning it and will look at the injectors too.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:34 PM

Do you have a Haynes manual? did you get the old gas out of there? Fuel filter clogged, timing, spark plug gapped incorrectly, I just got new denso spark plugs and only one of them was perfectly gapped. clogged fuel lines. Do a fuel pressure test. Compression test. maybe advance the timing a little and see if that helps. But advancing the timing may just mask the problem. Get a timing light on it to be sure. I have mine like 3 degrees advanced.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Drewandhis89Yota
Do you have a Haynes manual? did you get the old gas out of there? Fuel filter clogged, timing, spark plug gapped incorrectly, I just got new denso spark plugs and only one of them was perfectly gapped. clogged fuel lines. Do a fuel pressure test. Compression test. maybe advance the timing a little and see if that helps. But advancing the timing may just mask the problem. Get a timing light on it to be sure. I have mine like 3 degrees advanced.
no manual, bad gas is gone, new fuel filter which was broken and had tons of dirt in it, new plugs and wires which didn’t change after that, and I’m gonna look at the timing while I have the manifold off too, it’ll be much easier to take the cover off without all those hoses and stuff, thanks!