Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 Toyota v6 5 speed 4x4 engine harness interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Toyota v6 5 speed 4x4 engine harness interchangeable?

So my truck had a small fire. Burnt my vacuum pieces lines and some wiring. I’m curious of what years I can go up to for wiring to be a direct replacement? I found a bundle of the vacuum lines that go on top the motor. Have some other pieces and calves to replace but really want to try and find a inexpensive engine harness. No luck for the particular year of mine and haven’t had much luck on seeing what all years might interchange with mine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys and I apologize in advanced if this is a repeat or dumb question.

These are to give an idea of what all burned

Old 03-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try car-part.com, it's a national salvage yard listing site. They have a harness for the '88 3vze listed for $175 as of today. The same yard also has the engine (running) listed for $850. Buying them both will probably be your inexpensive solution.

You should decide if you are prepared to spend $1,500-3,000 in parts (mostly used too) alone on this project and are willing to tear down the top end of the engine before you spend any money on parts at all. In your other post with pictures in the coolant sensor thread, you asked if we see any other parts need replaced. I'm assuming no one has replied yet because, well.... where to start?

Besides the complete wire harness back to the ecu, things I can see need replaced:
-engine wire harness cover behind timing cover
-distributor and o-ring
-probably the igniter, ignition control module, noise filter and wire harness
-complete intake air system (hoses, resonators, Vane Airflow Meter, filter box and gaskets, hoses from air box to PAIR valve and VSV supply pipes)
-throttle body
-throttle cable
-both IAC hoses
-dash pot
-fuel regulator
-fuel return hose
-fuel pulsation damper, gaskets and crush washers (located under the plenum at the back of the passenger side fuel rail, looks like this is where the fire started when it failed)
-cold start injector
-supply hose for cold start injector is probably cooked too
-left bank fuel injectors, o-rings, grommets, and crush washers, probably right bank too, so all injectors
-fuel system flush
-valve cover and gaskets including cam cover seals at the back
-timing belt
-timing belt idler pulley (probably both)
-timing covers and gaskets
-pigtail for knock sensor (requires pulling intake manifold)
-intake manifold gasket probably melted both sides
-both vacuum hoses for brake booster (discontinued) and check valve
-heater hoses
-heater supply valve
-brake lines need a complete flush (they were in the fire)
-the manifold for temp sensors/switches will need to be pulled and resealed
-cam seals
-egr and egr regulator
-all the vsv's need checked for proper operation, vacuum check valve (black and orange) is melted
-pvc valve and hose
-possibly knock sensor if burning fuel got under the intake manifold
-all the missing stuff up front... radiator, upper and lower coolant hoses, might as well do the water pump and thermostat while all that stuff is off, fan, fan shroud, fan clutch, fan pulley bracket and pulleys, belts
-should check valve clearance while the valve covers are being replaced, and replace the main crank seal while the timing belt is off.
-and what ever else you find along the way that is crispy, brittle, or not in specs. Hard to tell if rubber diaphragms or seals melted inside components.

It is a noble project to take on if you have the time and money to do it. You should definitely start a thread detailing your progress with the project, the large size photos you've posted so far are very nice indeed!
Your first purchases for the project should be the factory service manual for the engine and possibly the factory electrical wiring diagram manual. You'll need these to get everything within spec.
Here's some current ebay listings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Toyota...y/324056670042
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Toyota...l/153809487042

Last edited by Fritz the Cat; 03-07-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: wanted to write a book
Old 03-09-2020, 07:34 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes, what Mr Fritz said..

With the copart option, if the only thing wrong with your truck is just that fire (but also begs the question why), you can get a 'running' donor from copart, which means all the other little pieces and parts you won't even image are lurking there in the ash. That might be a good option. But don't be afraid to write off sunk costs, especially if you're primarily dependent upon that burnt vehicle.

Oh, and spend $20 bux on TIS. Factory manuals, cheap price.