Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 Pickup SR5 Turbo no idle and bogs down when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Pickup SR5 Turbo no idle and bogs down when accelerating

I have an 87 SR5 Turbo, My grandpa gave it to me when I turned 18 and I really don’t know much about trucks but I was able to keep it going until here lately, I have to keep my foot on gas when idleing to keep it running, and when I put it in gear it doesnt want to go anywhere, it will really slowly and it does it thru all gears and tops out at 40mph. It barley started shutting off on me after I get going a little in first gear. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the Idle Speed Adjustment Screw on the throttle body. May have worked itself loose.

(Image from a Google search)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:24 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
or TPS throttle positioning sensor
Old 06-15-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
The screw shown in the picture is actually the cover screw, on there to protect the Idle Adjust Screw from damage, accidental misadjustment, etc.
The IAS is a smaller screw under the cover screw. A good idea to screw it all the way in, countin the turns, and fractions of turns, until it bottoms out. Not tight, just until it stops. Then you can unscrew it all the way, and check it's o-ring, as well as checking the air passages that pass under tip of the IAS. Usually, if it's still factory original (the o-ring), it has gotten brittle, and possibly fallen apart, clogging the air passages, partially, or completely. It's only rubber, after all. The o-ring is a small one, and readily available at hardware, and auto parts, stores.
Ensure the air passages are clean, and clear of debris.

Once you've put a new o-ring on, cover it with a thin layer of Vaseline, or silicon dielectric grease, before you put the IAS back in. It makes for a much better seal on the o-ring, and makes it last a LOT longer. Put the screw in all the way down to the bottom, and then back it out to the point it originally stared at. Then you can use it to set the idle to 750 RPM, with the engine fully warmed up. Put the cover screw back on, and only tighten it till it's level with the surface of the Throttle Body.
Finally, double check the timing is at 5° BTDC, with a jumper in the test jack, T1 to E1.

Hope this is some help.
Pat☺