Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'87 Pickup Bench Seat Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 Pickup Bench Seat Options

I searched and found some stuff, but figured somebody might have some more specific advice.

I have a couple clean mostly restored, mostly stock second gen pickups that I have owned for over a decade now. My '87 extended cab has had buckets most of the time I have owned it. The truck mostly just sits these days, but if I could haul three people it would be more useful to me. I was going to sell it, but my wife and one of my kids informed me that is not an option... sentimental iron.

I have a '89 parts truck and swapped the bench from it into the '87, but it sat to high and didn't provide enough headroom. Perhaps modifying brackets would be an option, but the seat needs to be re-covered.
Searching market place I have found a couple second gen bench seats, I am tempted to pick one of these up and re-cover it. Giving me a stock bench that is correct to the truck. I had one of those in the truck years ago and it wasn't too comfy, so I sold it. Fast forward a couple of years and I am wishing I still had it. At the time I was daily driving the truck so my relatively comfy SR5 seats were much better.
I have also been running across T100 seats that are super clean and look much comfier, I am guessing they are too wide?

Any other swaps or options for bench seats that work well in these trucks? I have access to nice fab shops, so I could build brackets....Not at all opposed to that. More concerned with a good end result, comfort, headroom, and O.E.~ish look.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:27 AM

A few pics of the truck doing it's thing.

Old 07-07-2024, 10:07 AM
osv

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mica
I have a '89 parts truck and swapped the bench from it into the '87, but it sat to high and didn't provide enough headroom. Perhaps modifying brackets would be an option, but the seat needs to be re-covered.
Searching market place I have found a couple second gen bench seats, I am tempted to pick one of these up and re-cover it. Giving me a stock bench that is correct to the truck.
wouldn't that '89 bench seat have been correct for the '87 truck?

the problem with these old seats is that the foam gets shredded and there aren't any factory replacement foam pieces, you have to try and build it up yourself with generic foam slices and glue, watch out for that when looking at used seats.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:07 PM

The '89 parts truck is the more rounded one with the actual jumper seats in the extended cab. I think the body style I have ran '85-88, but I could be wrong, there may have been a transition year on either end... I am no expert.
Appreciate the heads up on the foam. I've re-done several seats in different rigs, but I was always able to buy O.E. foam and cover material.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:25 AM
osv

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
i wonder when they came out with that split bench seat?

what i've seen with the '86 4runner is that the seat mounts in back changed around the '89-90 timeframe? and wrt the bucket seats at least, it's also a taller seat in the back, which if applicable to bench seats could explain the lack of headroom that you ran into.