Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4x4 pickup 22R carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4x4 pickup 22R carb

Starter clicks sometimes when starting, if you leave in gear and push so motor turns over then try starts right up dealing with this off n on for years new starter still does it. Seems more often when its hot out n motor hot, but still does when cold . Sometimes just try again later starts up
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
I would start by checking and cleaning all power and ground wires where they connect.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard 87 4×4 pickup 22R carb

Thanks, found another thread that did it , only time will tell
Old 03-09-2021, 06:47 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Some purest don't like this, but
I put in a relay, fuse and a John Deere tractor push starter button. Wired it straight to the battery and starter.
all you do is turn the ignition switch to the on position and push the button. Heck I've got so use to it i don't even try starting it with the ignition switch.
It NEVER fails to spin like a top.
The button is hidden and is also a great anti theft device.. mine will seldom turn over with the ignition switch so, if you don't know about the JD button she won't start. I'll go take a Pic
it also saves wear and tear on the ignition switch and the starter because it's getting 12 volts...

hmm wonder what that black button is?

I'm going to take a closer look....

What IF I push it???

VROOOM... engine fires up every time!!!

I started doing this after getting stranded few times in not so good situations...
It ALWAYS started right away with a jump... but its not always easy to get someone to give you a jump at 3 o'clock in the morning or on some isolated mountain trail.
the 87 we gave our daughter has had one on it for at least 15 years without a failure to spin the motor like a top.
her 4runner...

Last edited by 87-4runner; 03-09-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:31 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
This is usually caused by the key switch. It develops corrosion n the contacts. Causes the click-click problem. Same with dirt/corrosion in the connections. It takes surprisingly little to cause problems because of the bad design of the starter circuit. Routing the entire current to make the solenoid activate through the small, but long, wiring to and from the key switch is a terrible design.
They should have, and later DID, make the key switch control a relay, that then feeds the current to the solenoid. You can put the relay near the battery, which is also close to the starter, reducing the run of the wiring actually feeding the solenoid.

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺