Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner Coastal 22RE Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
no idea. both of my '87 22re 4runners have a single vacuum line from the booster, a fairly large hose that runs to a port on the upper plenum. in your pic from early in the thread, i only see your large vacuum hose leading from the booster, not a small hose. where is the small hose?
I think I mispoke. What is the round cylinder on the drivers side well next to ignition? Highlighted vacuum in yellow.

missing vacuum port for this hose
Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
that's for cruise control. vacuum runs to a three-prong port next to where the brake hose attaches to the plenum. usually, one of the prongs is capped.

edit: and it shows in your early picture of the engine. the three-prong port, and the entire vacuum line to the cruise diaphragm.

Last edited by wallytoo; 04-13-2020 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 AM

that's for cruise control. vacuum runs to a three-prong port next to where the brake hose attaches to the plenum. usually, one of the prongs is capped.

edit: and it shows in your early picture of the engine. the three-prong port, and the entire vacuum line to the cruise diaphragm.
thanks wallytoo. I don't really trust much of what the PO had done with it and couldn't find it on the vacuum diagram below. I'll take a look at it again to make sure I have them right.
22re vacuum hoses help! - YotaTech Forums
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

Last edited by coastal; 04-13-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:17 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
If you have A/C, PS, 4wd, AND Cruise, you run out of "prongs" on the gas filter. So one of them will have a Tee.

As wallytoo says, your cruise actuator (which looks a little, uh, crusty) just runs on plain ole' engine vacuum, whether direct to the gas filter or through a Tee.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
If you have A/C, PS, 4wd, AND Cruise, you run out of "prongs" on the gas filter. So one of them will have a Tee.

As wallytoo says, your cruise actuator (which looks a little, uh, crusty) just runs on plain ole' engine vacuum, whether direct to the gas filter or through a Tee.
thanks for the clarification scope! I do have all those. And yeah, I really dint even know if it works. Only driven it 1.5 hours, and that was a year ago!
Old 04-13-2020, 03:43 PM

hmm. i'll have to take a peek at the setup in my 2nd '87. it is equipped with all of that. hadn't noticed a tee anywhere when i rebuilt the engine. fwiw, on my 1st 4runner, the PS vacuum that i'm aware of has its own fittings attached to the plenum, and the vsv hoses for the a/c idle up runs off of another actuator attached directly to the plenum. they don't run through the triple prong gas filter. it only has a hose to the 4wd fuel pressure up vsv. i believe the 2nd is the same, except that it adds the cruise vacuum line to the gas filter. i'll have to check it out, though, to verify.

the sticker under the hood of '87 4runner #1

Last edited by wallytoo; 11-23-2020 at 03:36 PM.
old87yota (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:59 PM

Gas Filter tee?
Is this the tee you’re talking about? Right now I have both to the back vacuum leads, based on what I thought I was interpreting from another 22re vacuum diagram.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:12 PM

that's the one. should have the cruise vac and the 4wd pressure up vsv lines.

the diagram above is directly from the hood on my #1 '87 4runner, so you might be able to use it to sort some of your lines.

edit: i suppose that could be called a tee as scope103 references, as it has three ports. i was thinking more about a literal “t” configuration similar to the “y” used on the windshield washer lines.

Last edited by wallytoo; 04-13-2020 at 04:29 PM.
old87yota (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:15 AM

that's the one. should have the cruise vac and the 4wd pressure up vsv lines.

the diagram above is directly from the hood on my #1 '87 4runner, so you might be able to use it to sort some of your lines.

edit: i suppose that could be called a tee as scope103 references, as it has three ports. i was thinking more about a literal “t” configuration similar to the “y” used on the windshield washer lines.

vacuum tee
Scope, I'm with Wallytoo. Are you referring to adding a "T", or calling the prongs on the filter the "T". This seems like an easy workaround for me. Since I'm missing the VSV for my A/C, I believe that is why I'm short a vacuum plug and this would solve it. I'm still trying to discern which VSV does what (on trucks that still have both), and haven't gotten much from searching for "4wd vsv pressure up". It can really be challenging to find what the stock configs are supposed to be, as there seems to be many differences between years, hodgepodge builds, and people who just intrinsically hate vacuum lines like they ran away with their wife.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Well, that's why we have the under-hood stickers. The vacuum line configurations do change (at least a little) year to year and build-out. I have a 3VZE, so I'm even less helpful to you.
On my truck, the gas filter (3 ports) drives the PAIR, the FPR (fuel pressure-up) and AC idle-up, and ADD and Cruise. (I misspoke about the P/S idle up; that's separate.) For the FPR and AC to share a port, and ADD and Cruise, there are two "Tees." (not "Whys").

All three ports on the gas filter are the same; plain ole' engine vacuum (contrasted with the P, E, and R ports on the throttle body, which are modulated vacuum). If you don't have enough connections, just cover the extra prong with a cap (or you'll have a vacuum leak). If you don't have enough ports, add a Tee. In your case, I would probably test your Cruise actuator before I put a lot of effort into trying to supply it with vacuum.

Just to make it a little more interesting, my under-hood sticker doesn't show the Cruise or ADD (it only shows two connections to the gas filter). Perhaps because Cruise and ADD aren't "engine" functions.

The following 2 users liked this post by scope103:
coastal (04-20-2020), old87yota (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 AM

Well, that's why we have the under-hood stickers. The vacuum line configurations do change (at least a little) year to year and build-out. I have a 3VZE, so I'm even less helpful to you.
On my truck, the gas filter (3 ports) drives the PAIR, the FPR (fuel pressure-up) and AC idle-up, and ADD and Cruise. (I misspoke about the P/S idle up; that's separate.) For the FPR and AC to share a port, and ADD and Cruise, there are two "Tees." (not "Whys").

All three ports on the gas filter are the same; plain ole' engine vacuum (contrasted with the P, E, and R ports on the throttle body, which are modulated vacuum). If you don't have enough connections, just cover the extra prong with a cap (or you'll have a vacuum leak). If you don't have enough ports, add a Tee. In your case, I would probably test your Cruise actuator before I put a lot of effort into trying to supply it with vacuum.

Just to make it a little more interesting, my under-hood sticker doesn't show the Cruise or ADD (it only shows two connections to the gas filter). Perhaps because Cruise and ADD aren't "engine" functions.
Thanks Scope. Unfortunately the stickers on mine were all gone when I got it. Appreciate your insight. I'm short of vacuum ports for that line, so adding a T seems like an easy option. I assume my power steering would work without it, but maybe loose it's setting? We'll see. I'm just glad to know it's not something that will keep me from getting it running smooth for now.

I just replaced the power steering hose over lunch. I've read up a few comments on how to fill/bleed the reservoir. Turning the wheel just sitting in off position started to feed it through, so I think I'll lift it off tires and try to work it through before I turn it on...also to make sure I don't have any other leaks before it's turned on.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:56 PM

so i checked the vacuum line routing on ‘87 4runner #2. the three-prong gas filter only has two ports used (one is capped); one for the cruise actuator, and one for the FPU vsv. #2 is equipped with cruise, air, PS, and 4wd.

i also looked at the vacuum routing on my '88 with the 3vze. that does have a line with a "T" off of the gas filter on the plenum. the vsv/switches/actuators for the 3vze are located on the passenger inner fender, unlike the 22re, where most are mounted on either the plenum or valve cover.

Last edited by wallytoo; 04-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.
coastal (04-20-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 05:06 AM

She running!

Finally took her for a drive around the neighborhood! So excited after a year of work!! And she’s sounding good!
Melrose 4r (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Very nice!

coastal (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 623 Likes on 444 Posts
That's tough stuff, pulling the engine out in the street! Cool build.
coastal (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Damion812
That's tough stuff, pulling the engine out in the street! Cool build.

yard work

Does this give me any more street cred? Lol, I can't believe the stroller worked either, but it was kind of my only option to get it from the shed
Old 04-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Received 623 Likes on 444 Posts
Oh wow I think you exceeded the weight limit on that stroller! Lol. Good idea on the plywood floor for the engine hoist. You gotta do what you gotta do. I like it.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 AM

Coolant gauge

My coolant gauge was shooting to normal temp mode as soon as I turned the key. Even with the sensor unplugged. So I did the trick in this thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...48/index2.html

I took the cluster out, all of my screws were tight but I loosened them, sprayed contact cleaner, tightened things back up and reinstalled. It still shoots up now and then but much more stable. I plan on adding an in-line second thermostat in upper radiator hose soon.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:04 AM

Update

Well the fix for the dash temp gauge is not working more than it is. I plan on putting in a aftermarket soon. Meantime I ordered the heavy duty shifter bushings for the W56. The old seat was broken and shot! It shifts wayyyy more precise, if not too stiff. I might put the old softer bushing in as it was still well intact. But huge improvement. It was really hard to know I was shifting into 1st vs 3rd before.

Old boot

Was pretty dirty in there

I didn’t have to do any of the snap ring or twisting of the shifter on mine. Just removed the boots and 4 screws (use 10mm socket so you don’t strip) and pulled the shifter out.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:04 AM

Everything is running pretty well. I had a rich condition a while back and changed out the seals on my injectors, which seemed to help. I changed out the sway bar links and got the bar painted. Changed out the inner/outer tie rods and pitman arm and took my freeplay in the steering wheel from 5" to spec! I painted the top with some marine epoxy, just roll and brush, not even roll and tip. Looks pretty good for a first coat! I painted the grill and still need another few coats after it cures, and the corner pieces. Finally hit 500 miles!

painted grill

painted the shell
The following 2 users liked this post by coastal:
5 Fists (11-17-2020), RAD4Runner (11-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner Coastal 22RE Build