Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
$50 sounds like a hell of a deal! Way to go Flecker! Glad that you are close enough to help Chef out. Thanks for helping out a fellow yotatecher!
X402,968~! LOL. Rob, honestly, he saved me about probably 3 days of searching through stuff, had I needed to do all of what we checked, not to mention the things I probably wouldn't have thought of, ...and some of which I would have needed to read up for quite a bit on, like the valves. VERY good guy, Flecker is, indeed!

Sorry Flecker, I'll stop now, haha. Just can't help but be very grateful for your help! Learned quite a bit from you in a days time, too, so.....BONUS! lol.

Talk to you soon, and thanks for checkin in, Rob! Hope you have a GREAT trip starting the 27th(right?).

Anyone else have any ideas? Please, chime in? Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very helpful thread. I have one doing very similar things. I will be tuned in here to see how it goes. Sorry I can't be of much help. I'm learning like you are.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok the ECU is the very last thing on a car you want to suspect but doing what you all are doing ahead of time wellll... i guess is ok to see if theres a change with the diff ECU assuming it works correctly. Could very well be the ECU... but eh...

It could very well be the ECU, can i give you a simple test that will tell if you ECU is bad. Take the kick panel off and give the computer a lil slap when the truck is running your "bad idle" and if engine speed changes in anyway the computers bad. Now this does not work 100% of the time. Some computers go bad and the "computer slap test" does not pick it up. But if it does happen to have effect then it is bad.

Ok I'm kinda like "blah" cause i had it in my heart it ws a stuck open egr valve. Now that thats rulled out things get a tad narrowed. My next suspision is what i thought earlier. I believe fuel pressure is dropping off upon warm-up. You really "need" to get that fuel pressure tester to monitor and see what the fuel pressure is doing at all the certain times. Cold idle and warm-up idle along with accel down the road driving.

Also about the Vacuum. 15-18" <-- bouncing seems like theres a vac leak in the system.
I read where you had something of a vac leak with the brake booster? Was this before or after the vac test and ws it fixed and then vac tested again?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Update, update, update!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!!!(hahaha, did I say update?);

Yes, the exclamation is VERY IMPORTANT! lol. For the most part, 98% sure, SOLVED!

And now, for the winner(I'LL HAVE TO TRACK BACK TO SEE WHO SAID IT FIRST, LOL) ....

>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
......................***************ECU***************

BEFORE I SAY ANYTHING ELSE, I have to thank Flecker(AKA....."DA MAN", haha....thought I was gonna share your name or something homie? lol). His buddy came through with a 'WORKING' ECU from another 87! THANK YOU, FLECKER, and I PROMISE, I will DEFINITELY 'mail it forward', so to speak, on the HELP ANOTHER WHO NEEDS IT! I hope you know that I would. VERY nice working with you thus far on this 'RIG, MOVING FROM TRAUMA CENTER TO ICU' and quickly on from there! lol.

Ok, so, I still have quite a few things I'm going to have to replace/repair, possibly some more diagnosis, regarding a possibly 'HEADIN SOUTH' dizzy. I KNOW my Brake Booster is bad(surging up and down idle at stop.....perforated like a bad appendix!, lol) I'm also going to have to re-do the wiring on the O2 from harness to connector, as the PO had removed the shielding on the shielded wire that went into the original(guess he got lazy! GRRRR, lol). I need to replace the power to fuse box fusible link, with 6gauge quality wire, after cleaning all the connections up, etc.

Seriously, it's got a few kinks, but I think Flecker can confirm that I have a pretty nice ride, worth some TLC and maybe, who knows, a few more "Factory style" mods(OME or new springs or something,new torsion bars)....what I mean is, it's pretty clean, more so than most around here.

YOU GUYS, SERIOUSLY.........YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!! No, I'm not a quitter, but I mean it when I say that MANY of you have been like long time good friends, always either pushing, prodding or just supporting me when I was hitting some REALLY confusing spots(especially being my first 22re this deep in). LOVE IT! Best site out of EVERY ONE THAT I TRIED! Finally got my first hit on Toyota Nation the other day, after 2 WEEKS! lol. Nice guys there, too, sure, but YOTATECH ROCKS! Can't wait to sport some stickers or something, ....are those ready yet, btw? Heck, I'm gonna have to design one, too, to honor Flecker in some way! lol. Some inside joke or something, like "FLECKERIZED!" hahaha.

And btw, thanks for the compliment, Kiroshu, ..... I really didn't want anyone to think I was a quitter, ungrateful or not SOLD LIKE A HALF EATEN CANDY BAR ON MY YOTA! lol.

Hey, anything could happen....I don't mean to get ahead of myself, but seriously, guys, I think you'll see with the next Video that it's PRETTY DANG TOIGHT....TOIGHT LIKE A TOIGER! LOL. <<<<seriously, you guys DID lift me up a few times, and I'm REALLY grateful. Promise, I never would have given up, and I WILL NOT if more stuff arises...but IT HELPS to have someone around who knows the FASCINATION WITH THESE LIL SEWING MACHINES! lol.

I think Flecker will probably explain some other details a lil better than me, maybe as to what could have gone wrong with the other ECU...but bottom line, IT'S NIGHT AND DAY, and it's no longer dying down in idle to the point of 'STALLING'......just a lil hiccup, and honestly, that could just be a heading south dizzy or even THE CAM? It's far more repetitious, now, ...don't you think, Flecker? Still, worth ruling out EVERYTHING, as this kind of "pup-pupupupup" in the exhaust has been there for 160K MILES!(I bought it with 100k).

Thanks again, ALL OF YOU, ....now, to figure out who gets the COOKIES! HAHAHA

God bless ya, Guys!

Chef
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Hey Alan.....

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic
Very helpful thread. I have one doing very similar things. I will be tuned in here to see how it goes. Sorry I can't be of much help. I'm learning like you are.
....VERY HELPFUL GUYS, really, throughout this site! Thanks, btw, if you mean it's been thorough and that maybe I had TEENY something to do with it, other than 'PULLING MY HAIR OUT!' hahaha.

I gotta thank THOOK, TOO! It's common sense, but things, after DOZENS AND DOZENS of hours start to BLUR TOGETHER, know what I mean? The WRITING IT DOWN OR MAKING A DOCUMENT SAVE is CRUCIAL! It ended up being something that would have been very hard to verify, as it DID 'at times' throw codes when you'd remove something, ...but you just never could be sure. I even was about to test the TPS, AFM, etc., at the ECU, but HEY, Flecker came through with 'DA GOLD', lol.

Did you start a thread, Alan? If you've exhausted yourself, searching away, then checking said things, ....then still can't seem to get it, just start a thread. As long as you check the things these guys suggest, then check back... with the results, etc., ....THEY WILL help you! Some give up quicker than others, hahaha, and sometimes, it's just hard to tell you "IT'S THIS" over the computer...but YOU CAN figure this out with a lil help(OR A LOT, in my case). Feel free to add me as a friend and I will at least share what I know or have learned(quite a bit since April!!!)

Whatever you do, DON'T LET IT GO, whatever it is....in my case, it could have caused major problems(even ASIDE the ECU, i.e. Brake Booster, etc....you know, DEAD FROM WALL? LOL.) Also, go to my build thread and I PROMISE you will pick up some nuggets, alright?

Chef
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

No problem Chef...

The cam grind will cause a very slight lope, enough to give the slight "putt" your refering to. It idled at 750 (770 or whatever we had it at, I forget I'm tired lolers) for 20 minutes solid and didn't skip a beat. The exhaust sounds great! Damn fine ride you got there, just a few nicky nacky things at this point!

The "to do" list will wrap it up IMO so far as the mechanical stuff goes!

Before you drop coin on a booster, lemme do a quick research on idle surging when brake pedal depressed.

Again, always glad to help out another yota junkie! Will see ya later!

Last edited by flecker; 06-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow so it was the ECU... hehe sweet. Oh and if you fix that booster leak the manifold vac will prob read a stead 18'' with no movement and help performance too.

Very great thread as you finally found out what it was which it had to be the last thing on the list "computer"

GREAT JOB.

Looking forward to vids and pics!!!!!!!!!! Maybe.... If ya got em?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Wow so it was the ECU... hehe sweet. Oh and if you fix that booster leak the manifold vac will prob read a stead 18'' with no movement and help performance too.

Very great thread as you finally found out what it was which it had to be the last thing on the list "computer"

GREAT JOB.

YEAH! Video of triumphant engine that will idle and not fall on it's face is in order!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome news Chef - really glad you saw it through and found the fix! Great testament to the folks on the board here

Looking forward to some photos and vids of your ride!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

And now, for the winner(I'LL HAVE TO TRACK BACK TO SEE WHO SAID IT FIRST, LOL) ....

>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
......................***************ECU***************

Chef
That would be me.... post #16.
Should I tell you now how I like my chicken cordon bleu?

Sorry, had to.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Dang, prophecy from the first page! Hahaha....

Originally Posted by flecker
Why is the cold start injector not at the top of your list?

Look at what you wrote. Then think about it for a minute.

OK, now running ok cold makes sense when you first fire it up. The cold start injector kicks on and pours gas into the intake. When it warms up the ECU gets a signal to kill the cold start injector. If the cold start injector is faulty then you just continue to flood out, run like crap and super rich.

Any dark smoke? Have you tried a different ECU to see if possibly it isn't kicking the cold start injector off?

First thing I look at when it starts fine then starts to bog and rough up when the engine gets to operating temp.

Just throwing that out there. And quit throwing money and parts at it!
Just get j-yard parts, they are cheaper and you can pretty much get all the stuff at one time from a donor rig to diagnose with.

Heck, you can diagnose the cold start with a meter. 2-4 ohms.

When it warms up have you tried to set the air screw back down to see if it improves?
He doesn't need a new one, this is yotatech... borrow a buddys! Real bro's let you use parts to test with.
You know what, Flecker? GOD IS GOOD! lol...I'll just leave that one at that, and seriously, that IS CRAZY, ....being that it just didn't want to STEADILY do 'it's hiccup', ya know?

Anyway, I noticed Mighty Mouse said "ECU" as well, toward the end, ...you agreed,....and I'm betting this thing threw ya for enough of a loop since you came over the first time that you forgot you'd said it first! LOL.

Ahhhhhhh, whatever, you both get COOKIES! lol. Hey, trust me, I'VE WON MANY Prizes, ...including some in AZ, HOMIE! lol. So when I say "You got some cookies comin!", ....I don't mean Frozen Toll House Squares! hahaha...Although, they aren't terrible, but YOU GET MY POINT! lol.

I'm going to do a post, tomorrow, with a MUCH MORE concise list of what happened, what probably went wrong in some of the diagnosing, what to look for to rule out some things, ...just for some of the guys, like me, who are just starting to really dig into these things.

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS, ;

Flecker, Bleeder, Rob, Jerry, Xxxtreme!, Pismo Joe, Thook, Coops, Kiroshu, Kiyo, Vital, Cougar, Swimmerboy, Lives4Crawlin, StevesK88, Flyingbrass, Seanmearse, Koze(fly on, bro, hahaha), Tried4x2signin, and everyone I will add, later, from the BUILD TO NOW!

Please, keep checkin in, as I CERTAINLY could still have some issues......but thanks, again, regardless!

Chef

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-12-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 PM

HAHAHAHA, you beat me to it! lol. Dangit! lol. Very funny....was it 16? I thought that one was on page one.....maybe it was 16, ...anyway, pretty sure it WAS YOU! lol....how funny is that?

Anyway, I'll check the build thread to be sure, but Sir, .....You sure you don't want Kiev? HAHA, .....jk, that's my favorite! lol. Still, after talking to you tonight about El Pescador, ...I GOTTA HAVE IT! Lol.

So, what to do with this ECU? Make a video of driving over it? hahaha, jk. I find hammers much more fun! lol.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

LOL, no cookies for me man!

Gotta love the toy guys though, seriously.... unless you have been through junk like this before it's hard to comprehend! Plus, I won't give the Jeep crowd any satisfaction of seeing OR even hearing about a yota w/ problems Totally unacceptable.

LOL. You know what my price was... you have to help out another yota head when duty calls. It might be me, SO PLEASE help!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM

THANKS, GUYS...this feels like my first day driving! hahaha

No problem Chef...

The cam grind will cause a very slight lope, enough to give the slight "putt" your refering to. It idled at 750 (770 or whatever we had it at, I forget I'm tired lolers) for 20 minutes solid and didn't skip a beat. The exhaust sounds great! Damn fine ride you got there, just a few nicky nacky things at this point!

The "to do" list will wrap it up IMO so far as the mechanical stuff goes!

Before you drop coin on a booster, lemme do a quick research on idle surging when brake pedal depressed.

Again, always glad to help out another yota junkie! Will see ya later!
Gotcha! Only thing is it seemed to do this for a while before even the build...so maybe it's a combination of that and the noise from the O2 deficiency due to the PO not reinstalling the secondary wire?

Originally Posted by Kiroshu

GREAT JOB.

Yeah, I will do a vid as soon as I get time in the morning(probably about 8:30am PST. Thanks for all the input, Kiroshu!

YEAH! Video of triumphant engine that will idle and not fall on it's face is in order!
OK, OK, I HEAR YA! lol.....Will do, boss!

Originally Posted by Philbert
Awesome news Chef - really glad you saw it through and found the fix! Great testament to the folks on the board here

Looking forward to some photos and vids of your ride!
Fhew, ...I better get up at sun-up and do a vid, eh? lol. Thanks Phil, and please, take me up on that 'pics or vid' that you might need for your project with the H20 Pipe and Pan, k? Did you check out the FSM on that? I know the Haynes says to do the bolt holes with the RTV, POSITIVE, especially for the 'no gasket' set up like we have.

PULLING FOR YA AND I'LL BE WATCHING!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM

LOL, no cookies for me man!

Gotta love the toy guys though, seriously.... unless you have been through junk like this before it's hard to comprehend! Plus, I won't give the Jeep crowd any satisfaction of seeing OR even hearing about a yota w/ problems Totally unacceptable.

LOL. You know what my price was... you have to help out another yota head when duty calls. It might be me, SO PLEASE help!
OH TRUST ME, ....I've always been that way and would gladly do so again, ESPECIALLY for you! You break down on the 110 at 2am, you call me! Of course, you'll probably call AAA too, I understand! lol. Sure was a doozy, wasn't it?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Nice!

Hey, don't kill the ecu with a hammer just yet, we need to open it up and look for carnage and destruction! muwahahaha!

And did ya copy on the brake booster? It may not be bad... Every booster that failed me the brakes would get rock solid because of lack of assist. Yours is not doing that, I believe theres another issue.

It's been a while so I have to look it up.... but when you press the peddle and get that surging I think (can't remember exactly) it has something to do with the cold air idle being bad or clogged, or another issue. Your idle is set below the cut off mark of 1000 rpm's, so setting the idle down to fix it isn't an option. The ECU gets a signal when the brakes are applied to kill/ slow the flow of gas through the injectors.... in any case don't get a booster until we dig a bit deepr!

I will look it up tonight or tomorrow am and report back.

Last edited by flecker; 06-13-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 AM

Nice!

Hey, don't kill the ecu with a hammer just yet, we need to open it up and look for carnage and destruction! muwahahaha!

And did ya copy on the brake booster? It may not be bad... Every booster that failed me the brakes would get rock solid because of lack of assist. Yours is not doing that, I believe theres another issue.

It's been a while so I have to look it up.... but when you press the peddle and get that surging I think (can't remember exactly) it has something to do with the cold air idle being bad or clogged, or another issue. Your idle is set below the cut off mark of 1000 rpm's, so setting the idle down to fix it isn't an option. The ECU gets a signal when the brakes are applied to kill/ slow the flow of gas through the injectors.... in any case don't get a booster until we dig a bit deepr!

I will look it up tonight or tomorrow am and report back.
HAHAHA, you didn't think I would destroy it with a Hammer, did you? lol. You saw how I kept EVERY PART, including every single bolt and part of the exhaust, including the brace, .....old O2, etc., haha. Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Maybe the connectors could be useful to someone or something?

Anyway, yes, I saw that on the Brake Booster. I will just try to start on the things I KNOW need to be replaced or ''fixed up" like the Dashpot kit, OEM Cap and Rotor, .....and so on.

I am heading to a Graduation Party at Admiral Risty or something like that tomorrow, ...but not until 5:15pm or so, ...just let me know if you have anything you want me to check in my spare time, ok? ...Cold Air Idle, eh? Hmmm, I'm going to have to look that up tomorrow as well. I've heard of the IACV causing that surging, but not exactly sure why...(Maybe the valve failing and flicking open and shut?) I cleaned that TB and Intakes VERY well..including the vacuum ports, ...but yeah, I could have missed something, especially this thing you mentioned that I'm not sure what it is! lol. Let me know, Brudda!

Look forward to hearing from ya, Flecker, ....Thanks again, Sir!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-13-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From the front of the house (i'm a bartender) to the back of the house (you're a chef) i congratulate you sir, this kicks butt. I'm going fishing today and will be back with pics later to cap it off. Happy for you, and yeah the big man up stairs can send you through a little hell to get to heaven huh? Congrats!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OMG! chef......I totally missed this thread, but at least the others didn't based on the amount of responses I see here.. Holy COW and way to pour in with help for the CHEF guys......this is awesome to see.

I regret that I have zero expertise in this area and am merely a spectator rooting for ya bud.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Really glad to hear your truck is running right now, Darn ECU. Sorry it too so long to figure out, but you showed some real perseverance Chef.

Flecker, thanks for going all out & helping Chef.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-13-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed