87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
well i have to go look. i don't remember any washer on mine
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just to be clear.... There is a washer on the bolt, but that 'THING' that looks like another, even larger washer, behind it(black)...it's just part of the casting of the bracket.

Sure, if anyone can find out if theyhave that, too?.....COOL! lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM

so here's mine.....

i do believe this is the bolt....looks the same. however, if you can see and / or feel RTV in the bottom of that hole, it may just be causing that bolt to bottom-out falsely

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

she's not as clean as she used to be , but .....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Hahaha, THANKS, JERRY, so much, for taking the time to get a pic! Humbled! Bowing in gratitude to your helpful nature! lol...

Ok, well, it's not that top bolt... it's the one you can see, below it in the pic, blurred out a lil. Even though it's blurred, I can see that it has that washer, and then risen part of the casting(it has that on bolt sides, for spacing, I suppose).

ALSO;

I just measured the hole, edge of cover to end of hole(metal tool to metal on block in back of threads).....

1. The bolt in question doesn't even get near the bottom there. There's about 1/3rd of an inch before it hits bottom. And, I don't see any sealant on the very back...so I guess that sealant just got on there when he was screwing it in, ya know?

2. In my measurement, I included the 'bracket spacing', and that's how I came up with the length-against-depth of hole factor.

3. Since it DOES NOT appear to have been a 'bottoming out' issue... I can only assume that the timing cover bolt, on the hole that's ACTUALLY ABOVE that one that's leaking(the one leaking is second from the bottom, and there's 4, if you look right under the one that's in your pic, there's another one that's almost hidden, lol)...was loose....I really think that's what happpened.

4. When I pulled all 3 bolts, not noticing the 4th, I was trying to get the bracket out(DERRR, lol)... not violently, just wiggling. IT MOVED, fairly easily, and I think that the 'hidden' 4th bolt that I'm speaking of(3rd up from the bottom) was not torqued properly.

NOW, while there was no oil in that hidden bolts channel.... that DOES NOT mean that it's possibly being 'under-torqued' didn't cause the bolt right below it to leak oil that was being slung all over by the chain(In combination with the temp of the oil and pressure, which finally caused it to 'give up the ghost').

That could be wrong, and it could be that he just didn't seal that part of the cover gasket properly..... but I think that my theory is more logical. It just took 1500 miles, because, well, sometimes oil takes a bit of vibration and heat and compression to finally work it's way out of certain notorious spots, including 'The Pan', 'Cover Bolts', 'Rear or Front Main Seals', 'Oil Pump O-Ring', 'ect., etc., etc.!', lol.

Whatcha thinka my theory, fellas? hahaha,

Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 AM

chef.......it looks like a crack to me in that area

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Hey Jerry,

Yeah, I thought of that... BUT, there is NO oil coming from those 'blemishes'(LET ME JUST HOPE AND PRAY, OK??? LOL)....ANDDDDD, ....if you look at the other pics, where you can see that sleeve completely, there is NO area where the sleeve meets an 'open' area of the cover. The only spot where it finally meets the cover is that 1/4" or so flange on the cover face, where it meets the head. I would think, under pressure, a true compromising crack in the cover wud cause leaking right through the crack, no?

Or, is that not your point at all? lol... Sorry if I'm lost. Just a bit frustrated. Ima go out and get pics of that area. BRB!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks like a casting mark to me, I can't be sure that it is not a crack, but I can say that it is normal to have such marks in a casting.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 AM

let me just say that the "crack" or hole in my timing cover that allowed my oil and antifreeze to mix was very, very small.....assumed that when it heated up, it expanded.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
That looks like a casting mark to me, I can't be sure that it is not a crack, but I can say that it is normal to have such marks in a casting.
Hey Rob,

That's what I was told by ANOTHER machinist than the one I dealt with, when I asked before I even put the motor back in.

I will be posting pics in the next post, and yet, do you know the answer to my question, Rob?...>>> "Wouldn't it leak right through the crack in the cover????"

Thanks, guys.... and I took a pic of that '3rd' bolt up from the bottom, and along the seam of the timing cover gasket to block surface, I saw a TINY drop of oil.... HOWEVER, NO OIL INSIDE THAT HOLE, AT ALL???? SEEMS ODD to me, that it would leak OUTSIDE the bolt hole, but not in the hole itself....

GOOD LORD, THIS IS RIDICULOUS.....sorry guys. I would have just said, "Oh well, time to pull the cover", but I REALLY, honestly, don't have time to spare without losing my rump, by losing Halloween! Ahhhh! I would just use their CRV, but they WILL NOT be around... They visit their kids house on Halloween, so they don't have to get up and down 400 times, hahaha. Even then, I still have to cook for them and 3 other parties. DANGIT!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
let me just say that the "crack" or hole in my timing cover that allowed my oil and antifreeze to mix was very, very small.....assumed that when it heated up, it expanded.
It's supposedly a new timing cover that was tested before installation. At this point, I don't know what to think...

Don't mean to sound defeated, guys. I"M NOT, lol.. I just HATE THIS CRAP of not being able to 'KNOW THAT SOMETHING IS SOUND', when I spent all this friggen money to avoid all this in the first place!!!!!!!!!! ...oOOPS, SORRY FOR SHOUTING!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Here's more pics.........

This is the area with the casting blemish/or/crack(?) that you mentioned, Jerry....

Here is another example that looks similar, near the cover/pan mating surface...

This, right below the 4th bolt up from the bottom, appears to be coolant, but didn't appear to be there until I removed all these bolts.........

Honestly???? Well, I honestly don't know, lol. But I'm sure of one thing, I'm REALLY disappointed and a bit discouraged... Now I'm not even sure if I do this that I wont have to pull the cover anyhow. But, I guess it's worth a try, seeing as the whole thing took about an hour to remove and clean up in there, all together.

As my teenage daughter says, ...."WHATEVERRRRRRRRRR!" lol. .....ahhhhhh

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Chef, i hate to say this, but i think your best bet would be to pull the timing cover, inspect it and replace all of the seals, including the oil pump seal.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Hey Myyota...

Yeah, that might end up having to happen, after all. But, for now, I've sealed up the only hole that had oil in it and I guess I will just pray that will seal it......... IF NOT, then it's 'tear down time', ONCE AGAIN! lol.

Here's a video of the process.... sorry for it being shaky, my hands were just wiped out and I'm very tired, lol.........

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Good luck Mark, I really am pulling for you and this leak being cured the easy way. Check back in with you early tomorrow, time for me to get some rest.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks Rob,

Yeah, me too, I'm totally exhausted. I'm not 18 any longer! lol. I sure hope this does the trick, otherwise I'm not sure I can get out to see my Dad before at least a couple weeks longer...IF I'M LUCKY! lol.

Thanks again, Rob, you're a class act!

Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Before I get off the puter for the night....most likely, lol.... I thought I'd show a pic of the Grill/bumper guard with the 8" Dick Cepeks on there. I Have to figure out how to shave that bolt head off so I can get my whole valence off, and once I do, I should have this on real quick like, lol. I'm going to sand it down a lil, but leave the white powder coat, then paint it something on top... any ideas? Figure the powder coat will protect it more, then the layer on top will make it even more rust proof, eh? hahaa..........

Here is my tires I took off. Just curious what you guys think I could ask for them if I sold them all. 31x10.50x15 BFG AT's.... Only thing is, I wanted to use one for the spare, instead of the new, but smaller Kirkland tire i have on there.....If I sold all 4, how much could I ask? lol.....

Ok, that's it, lol. OH, and I'm not sure that o-ring in the steering pump top elbow is sealing... I think it's just left over fluid in the alternator, but I saw some below it, where I think it was leaking before... I'll share later if it's still leaking, anyway,

THANKS, NIGHT FOR NOW! LOL.

Mark
Old 10-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Dang, no one wants to give me any advice on the tires? hahahaa..... Jk, whatever, it's ok... i get it. Curious what you guys think of my lights though.... FATTIES! LOL. They burned the hair off my arm when I tested them out. Lit up the whole block for as far as I could get them to point.....then had to turn em off as I had to hold em by the bolt....even there, HOT QUICK LIKE~! lol.....ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYY.. .here's a repost from the "oil leak" thread....

KEEP VOLUME DOWN at first...just to be sure? lol...

First video, it's been running for 20+ minutes, .... and you can see for yourself... ahhh.

This one actually has narration, lol.....
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 AM

WOOT on the oil leak, good job man.

The light bar looks awesome! I love it, looks great with the lights! I vote you paint it either silver to match the factory strips on your truck or black, either way it would look good.

Those tires still look to have a decent amount of tread on them, any dry rot? I wish I was closer, well for lots of reasons really, but I would buy those tires from you. I say the set of 4 is worth at least $200, maybe more. If you where going to put them on CL, then i would say list them at $250 and see what happens. You could always come down a little if they didn't sell. Also you know that whoever comes to look at them is going to try and offer you less, no matter how fair the price is to start with.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM

HAHAHA, ...yeah, YOU DA MAN, Rob... Honest, people like you, Matt, Jerry, X, Myyota, 81, and Spearo, you guys make this site even more worth while. I know I can't get all celebratory just yet... but at least I know things like that are WORTH A HEALTHY EFFORT, EH? lol..... Was actually quite the PITA, Rob, because in order to get the bolts in on the block, they have to be lined up PERFECTLY, and that means the bolts going through the timing cover, which are perpendicular, have to be ALL THE WAY in, and lined up just right as well. It took a bit of time to get that right, so I thought FOR SURE that it wasn't going to hold, because I figured that would have screwed up the sealing, having to move them out a lil(the cover ones) to get the block ones in(WHICH WAS REALLY a PITA, honest... BARELY got one of them in...Hope I didn't screw up the threads any, but that block is tough, so I think I"m ok, lol.)

Anyway, thanks on the lights and Guard. I like it alot. I think it'll look sweet on there. I just didn't wanna even bother with it until I get this mechanical stuff all worked out. I might take it to my Dads, have my brother in law help me put it in..he's GREAT with mod's. Chevy and Ford guy, but nonetheless, he knows grinders, welding, 'moving things around' mods, lol. How would you drill that out? I have titanium bits, should I start small and go bigger and bigger? Also, where I think the thing will go through, the bumper bolt bracket, just to the right, is really angled at one point...not sure that's going to work too easy! lol. I'll get some pics to explain once I get the STUPID VALENCE OFF! lol. Also, should I just grind off that screw head? I don't have a grinder, so have to borrow one, unless you have another idea?? lol.

Far as the tires, that's weird, a friend told me "You wont get more than 100$"... I guess that would even be ok, to be honest. Maybe I'll ask for 125$ for 3? Not sure anyone will wanna buy 3! lol.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed