Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HAHAHAA! Actually, I TOTALLY admired your "Build it widdit in, build it widdit in, no I'ain gon' yank it- gon' build it widdit in!" approach! hahaha. Hey, that's catchy, lol. Jk.... NO, REALLY, I LOVE your attitude, Jerry, and your perseverance, as well, along with doing this with yer boys! AWESOME! You have TONS to offer, when you have time I'm sure, and I've also learned stuff from your threads.

Seriously, I have NOTHING demonstrative to say about you or your skills, Jerry... "you complete m...... WAIT, NEVERMIND.... eh chemmmm, Do over...>>> 'You DA MAN!' " hahahaa.

GOSH I hope this sealant bolt was my only issue, but whatever, it takes about an hour to break it all down, max, and at least I'll KNOW if it still leaks, what it's more likely to be, yeah? lol.

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and start a thread with the same info as here, but it sounds like the two of you can be a goldmine of info for someone like me just getting my hands dirty.

Jerry I totally respect a dude like you just jumping in and not conceding to a mechanic. Kudos for sticking with it. As for Chef, haha I hopefully won't be rebuilding the engine and doing it the hard way... I'm hoping I can solve this timing chain issue by replacing the TC cover without removing the cylinder head or damaging the head gasket...

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Ok....cool , we'll watch for it.

Chef, i think you have an exhaust leak.......gettin' a little goofy.......hahahahaha

and thanks for the compliments guys
Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Hey Bjorn,

drop a message here when you have a thread, ok? I might not see it. I'd like to chime in if I can find anything useful to add.

Keep us informed,

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.... Don't you know that, 'HACKKKK, HAKCKKKKKKKK'....sorry, had to step out of the garage where I LOVE to inhale fumes! lol... Ok, where was I? Oh forget it, I can't remember... Anyway, WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT? hahaha. Actually, nahhhh, I don't even drink, let alone inhale anything, hahaa. But I hear ya...just that I get ITCHY when I'm stuck waiting for a STUPID ARSE O-RING FOR MY STEERING PUMP before I can start my truck! AHHHHHH! lol.

Hope things is well, Jerry, PROP'S!

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Now, I'm out there, yesterday, trying to line up my new Downey HD Bumper/Grill guard that I picked up, and I'm beginning to think it's for 89 pick up or 90 4Runner up to 95 4Runner guard.... not 86-95 Pick Up/4Runner application. Here's what I found........

How it looks, and it will be silver, btw...

My problem on the top, where they don't seem to line up....

On the bottom, it seems to be perfectly lined up for the bolt and then welding if one chooses....

Am I sucking in fumes too much, lately, or is this NOT the right one? Heck, I don't mind heading out to Brea, CA again just to have a chat with Jim, the owner of Downey, lol.... Great guy. But I can't see how I can make this work. Even if I drilled holes through the bumper, there is NOTHING there, below, to bolt it into.... and I don't wanna go through any of that, anyhow, ya know?

ANY THOUGHTS?????

PS> Can anyone give me the measurements from top bolt to top bolt on top of the bumper...PLEASE??? ... the ones that are just left and right of the mounting rods of the Guard in those pics? I really think this will fit RIGHT ON an 89 and up Pick up or 90-95 4Runner....
Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Chef I have my buddies 89 4runner parked in my back yard & would be glad to measure it for you and post back, maybe in another hour I should be home.

I had a very similar Downey bar on my 2000 Tacoma and specifically remember that I DID have to drill a hole there & that in the hardware package was an anchor that went into that hole and opened up inside of it when you tighten the bolt. Not sure that is what your case is, I don't think I had any holes in mine so drilling one was a must.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you said you got that off a guy who used to work for downey on ebay right? I would ask him.

But I agree, that don't look right.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Bring it over Mark, alittle cutting, alittle welding and I'll have it fitting right in no time!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Hahahaa, thanks X, thanks Rob.

Well, Rob, an 89 4Runner would be the same bumper/set up as mine. I need a 90 4Runner or 89 Pick up(Similar to each other and newer/different bumpers than ours, right?). 86-89 4Runner wont give me the measurement that I need, ya know? If you know someone with an 89-94 Pick up or 90-95 4Runner, THAT WILL give me the measurement I'm looking for. I measured mine, and bolt to bolt it's 26.50"..Could you check yours, too, Rob? X? Thanks

X, I did leave him a message, hopefully he'll get back to me asap. I'm going to message him on his Tojo Store page, too.

PS> I did not get ANY equipment with this... Just the bar. That's fine, I can find the bolts, especially for 90$! But if it's gonna require manipulation, I'm not sure I wanna deal with that. I think that the bumper's top on the one I think this guard is for is a lil 'higher', too. Seems like when I line up the mounting hole in the cross member, it's not only off side to side, like I've shown....but it's also seemingly risen like an inch above the bumper. ??????????

PSS> It was Jim, the owner of downey that I got the stuff off, personally. Probably just a mistake or I'm just missing something.. he'll make it right, I'm sure.

I measured the mounting holes on his guard and they're 23" on the dot... NO WAY I will make that fit without at least heating it up and banging away on it! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-26-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya go to harbor freight tools for a cheap set of impact sockets..

i Dont even have any impact socket but yet i dont abuse any of my sockets to go down that route... i like to break out the heat... and spray wd40 and make fire hazard.. i never had it let me down...

i tell you what the kolbalt impact kit i got as gift from my brother did wonders to the crankshaft bolt.. i just let it hammer away on my 12 point 19mm crafstman socket.. yes i only used a a 12pt.. but that burger came off.. than i pinched my finger between the impact and the front bumper which hurt pretty good...

but i was happy that i didnt have the trouble like everyone else..
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Hey 90, ...

Yeah, I have a full set of 1/2" Drive Deep and Regular 6 Point Hardened Steel(BLUED) Impact Sockets..... Might need em to get the large bolts out for the bumper Guard.... but the problem is, it's not lining up on the top of the bumper portion, ya know?

I was thinking, and if it wouldn't compromise the guard, I could probably heat it up and move them outward 1.75", each... That would line them up EXACTLY over the 26.5" spaced bolts that go through the Subframe on top. I might just do that. I just thought, if he has one that would bolt right in, why not ask, right? Haven't heard back from him yet... he's got lots of hobbies and I'm sure I'll hear from him soon. Left him phone and Ebay "Contact this seller" sections. We'll see what he says.

Anyone can measure that for me? Bolt to Bolt on top of the bumper on the 90-95 4Runner or 89-94 Pick up(Probably should be 4wd, but just in case, try it out for me, 90?????
Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM

i don't have any bolts on the top of my bumper Chef.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
i don't have any bolts on the top of my bumper Chef.
I called one of my local buddies & asked him to measure his & got the same response. No bolts on the top of the bumper.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM

i had to drill to pass bolts in through my bumper for my push bar
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Ok guys, thanks! Geesh, I guess it's time to remove that thing and look underneath.

What do you think of what I said, Rob?...Jerry? Could I just heat up the bars and bend them outward until they're lined up? It would need 1.75" bent outward on each one to bolt right on....wouldn't that be best, to not have to drill through the thing? Plus, where those arm holes are, now, it doesn't seem to have ANYTHING underneath, lol. ???? I guess I should just do that. My neighbor will come by and heat em up for me and help me bend em outward, if you guys think that wouldn't mess it up???

Thanks, again, for looking into it, guys!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Headin out to dinner with a client.... thanks for any input while I'm away! hahaha.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Chef....if it was me, you know what i would do........drill holes. i feel like i would be chasing my tail trying to heat that up enough to bend it and then again, and probably again and that.

now Rob, on the other hand with his mad skills would just cut those arms off and re-attach them at the proper angle.....that would absolutely be the preferred method, if it was me.

this (the thing) serves no structural purpose other than leaning against it or putting your foot up on it to tie your shoe, right? other than that, it's going to have some lights.......it's not a winch mount........in other words, using your bumper steel as it's only upper mounting, would be fine with me and for that purpose.

my opinion.

standing down.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Joe's are 26ish on his 88
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Chef....if it was me, you know what i would do........drill holes. i feel like i would be chasing my tail trying to heat that up enough to bend it and then again, and probably again and that.

now Rob, on the other hand with his mad skills would just cut those arms off and re-attach them at the proper angle.....that would absolutely be the preferred method, if it was me.

this (the thing) serves no structural purpose other than leaning against it or putting your foot up on it to tie your shoe, right? other than that, it's going to have some lights.......it's not a winch mount........in other words, using your bumper steel as it's only upper mounting, would be fine with me and for that purpose.

my opinion.

standing down.
Actually.........I agree 100% I would drill holes also. I am betting that when Jim gets back with you Mark, that he is going to say to drill holes & install some anchors. That is how my Downey bar was and it was plenty secure from the frame mounts.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed