Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
THANKS! I started thinking, "This o-ring is 1500 MILES OLD! How could it or the seal be responsible if the seal is INSIDE the pump and the o-ring is so young? Secondly, that bolt that takes sealant is OUTSIDE the O-ring, and IT HAS to be leaking....so it would make sense that it's most likely the one and only culprit...especially considering the fact that everything else in there is new and NO oil is leaking past the front Oil Pump seal"... RIGHT? LOL.

I'd hate to put it back together and find that it's also something in addition,....but it would seem to me that if the oil SEAL, the main one, was leaking...it would be spinning oil all over the front of the motor...and this is just dripping from those bolts.

DANG, Rob....I'm REALLY upset! I meant that, too....that it's not common for me to be actually 'angry' at someone like this... But two things that push me into "IS THAT MARK? No way, his eyes are red with rage" ZONES? hahaha>>>> Someone messing with my loved ones, and SOMEONE STRAIGHT OUT SCREWING ME OVER! I know, he probably just passed right over it, or his guy did.... but it's STILL negligent!

Ok, I'm done ranting.... anyone have a kleenex to wipe my tears of RAGE?!?!?! HAHA...

What would you do, Rob? Just slather that thing and slap it back together? Be honest...would you tear it down to the o-ring? I think I'll just try the sealant, it's not that big a deal to tear it back down again, and I don't want to 'mess with things' that should in all logic be fine. Also, I PUT IN the Oil Seal in the front, ...>Know why? When the motor came to me, they had screwed in a bolt to the crank to hold the motor still in the delivery truck...makes sense.... But the apparatus they used? IT TORE A HUGE GOUGING HOLE into my oil seal! So, I had to replace that, TOO!

What a TOOL,......he gets my vote for the award of "Mr. 'WHATEVERRRRRRR' mechanic/machinist of the year"!

Thanks Rob, again, for always lending a thought!

Mark
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I would 100% just put some sealant on that bolt & put it back together. Be sure everything is nice & clean first & of course let the sealent set up good before you start it again.

It's OK for you to be angry man, I would be too. Actually I would prob. be alot more upset, he definatly owes you some money back for this! The cam was bad enough, this is just plain unacceptable!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im confused as I just did my timing chain and never put any sealer on one of the bolts....which one is that...arghhhh i hope mine dont leak
Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Hey 1st, ......

1st off,(no pun intended, lol), ...... is yours the 3.0 or 22re? I'm not up on the 3.0 yet, learning....but not sure on the application as to that motor and sealant on a particular bolt. On the 22re, it's not 'technically' a timing cover bolt, while it DOES, indeed go into the timing cover itself. The bolt I showed in the picture, above, is the one that goes through the Oil Pump, directly underneath the "Timing Mark Plate"... which is the 12-10-8-5-0 stamped flange on the oil pump itself. On the 22re, IT HAS to have sealant on that bolt, and WILL, INDEED, LEAK like a pig, eventually, if it's not applied there. If you never removed your oil pump, then, well, you might be ok...I'm not sure on that one. However, if you did the whole kit, including water and oil pump, then it HAS to be on there, if, as I said, you even have the 22re. lol.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Well, guys, ......

She's nearly back together(Crank bolt in and set to 116#, pulley on-obviously, and belts and fan going on in 5. .... Oh, and I'm putting the steering pump on, tonight. Got some Yokahama Steering hosen, also, from a bud... GOOD stuff. I'm curious about flushing my system, so I'm looking into that before hooking up a brand new steering pump, lol. Don't want early failure.

GOD i pray this sealant bolt is the only issue. If not, oh well, what's new, eh? lol.

Keep em crossed for me! lol.....

Mark
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Chef, i think the guy that rebuilt your engine really screwed you over. Looking at the picture of the bolt you can see the engine oil in the threads, i would clean the threads of the bolt real good, put some sealer on it and put it back in, and see what happens.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Heyyyy, Myyota! How'si it?

Yep, that's exactly what I did. It's been washed with mild soap and then alcohol to fully get everything, then I slathered it with "Toyota 102".... The OEM Dealer Oil pan and Cam Bolt FIPK Sealant.... GREAT stuff. It's worked really well on a couple things so far, ....just that you have to work REALLY fast... so with things like the pan, GOTTA BE READY, KNOW WHAT i MEAN? lol.

It's in, back down to 18#, 14# on the other upper 2 and 9# on the bottom 2. Checked all the timing cover bolts I could, as well. I'm hoping that's all it was. I tightened it down fully at 12:30pm PST... so about the same time, tomorrow, I'll be firing it over to check for leaks and a double check for leaks on the steering pump, just to be sure, before I tighten all 4 of them down fully again, lol.

Thanks, guys, for the advice and input. We'll see if that's all she needed... and if there's more involved, I'll be back with that, you know it! lol.

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey 1st, ......

1st off,(no pun intended, lol), ...... is yours the 3.0 or 22re? I'm not up on the 3.0 yet, learning....but not sure on the application as to that motor and sealant on a particular bolt. On the 22re, it's not 'technically' a timing cover bolt, while it DOES, indeed go into the timing cover itself. The bolt I showed in the picture, above, is the one that goes through the Oil Pump, directly underneath the "Timing Mark Plate"... which is the 12-10-8-5-0 stamped flange on the oil pump itself. On the 22re, IT HAS to have sealant on that bolt, and WILL, INDEED, LEAK like a pig, eventually, if it's not applied there. If you never removed your oil pump, then, well, you might be ok...I'm not sure on that one. However, if you did the whole kit, including water and oil pump, then it HAS to be on there, if, as I said, you even have the 22re. lol.
lol...Yes mine is the 22RE...I rebuilt the whole front of my motor it was such a shady job some bolts had 2-4 washers on them casue they were wrong. So I cleaned and painted some parts not a clean as yours. I know the exact bolt your refering to and i dont recall any sealant on the old one...When I read the FSM I dod not see any mention of FIPG on a bolt...I really dont want to take the chank pulley back off such a PITA...no puller and it was late. I will give it a week or two and watch it and let you know what happens its going to my buddies for a bunch of new parts to be put on...Thanks for letting me know which one it was!!!

BTW i really dig the red
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks, I dig it too! lol....

Hey, 1st....

I can only guess, especially on something with so many parts such as a timing chain/cover, but I guess I could just assume that you might have a 'mix-match' batch of bolts in there. What I did with a friend was, went to the junk yard, found a complete engine, made a template and filled it with the bolts, one at a time, where they go exactly. VERY important, and if you do that, you'll see that MANY of them are different lengths, etc. In some cases, I would imagine that some can even get in the path of things that could be bad news. That bolt, however, can be removed and replaced in about 2 hours, if you can get that crank bolt out. I can give you tips on that, from personal experience and through the dilemmas others on here have had. I put mine in 5th(new clutch), put blocks in front and rear of tires, got underneath, 2 foot cheater with 1/2" needle style torque wrench and had the end of the wrench at 10'oclock, then elevated my whole weight(230#) and pushing my feet against the passenger tire, pulled...... "CRACK". I tried it standing up above, with wrench at 12, etc..... WOULD NOT budge. Also, if you're going to pull it, or need to in the end, I would chase the crank threads as best and gently as possible and then put in a new bolt. (12$ at dealer if you get an account). I left the lock tite on there but wiped MOST of it off. The flange does 90% of the resistance-work.

As far as "waiting to see"... well, mine took around 1500 Miles to start leaking, then another 400 miles before it was pouring out of there.(Not pouring, but probably a quart a week at the latest point. I hope you just don't remember that YOU DID put it on there, cuz IT WILL leak, no doubt, if not.(This is what EVERY guru has told me.)

Hope that helps and that it's accurate! lol..........

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
did you start it & check for leaks yet Chef?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM

ROBERTO! LOL...

NO, actually. Here's why;

1. I have it all back together, INCLUDING the steering pump.....

But, unfortunately, ......

2. The o-ring that goes into the elbow sleeve on top of the steering pump?....YEP, like a pig! lol. I took it off to replace it, and on top of that, being a new clean hole it's in, IT LEAKS! So, I had to order it from Toyota(good lord, WHY do they have to make things with unique o-rings!?!?!?!?!? lol.... The o-ring is like a tire, not rounded like an innertube, .....so I tried, with every o-ring they had at napa, but NO GO.

Soooooooo,

The o-ring will be in at 8:30AM PST tomorrow, and then I'll snug it up and start her up! lol.

TICKED, but what can a guy do, eh? lol.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had to replace that top o ring on the power steering pump also, and the only place i could find it was the dealer.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, thought I would jump in on this thread and see if you've got some tips for me seeing that I'm in somewhat a similar situation. I have an '87 4Runner and recently would lose all my water into the engine... chocolate milk, white smoke and all.

In doing a compression test found out that the head is sound. Took off the rocker cover and noticed that the timing chain is cutting into the aluminum heavy on the driver's side. Thinking that it has cut a hole big enough for water to escape from the pump into the oil.

I've removed everything down to the timing chain cover and cylinder head and I'm hoping that I can remove the timing cover without removing the head. We removed all the bolts from the cover and dropped the pan and have only the distributor, which I'll get to tomorrow night. Is this possible or do I need to remove the head? Will I tear up the head gasket doing this?

As for the bolt on the drive shaft it took us a huge pipe wrench on the wheels (clutch sucks) and a long cheater bar for both of us to bust it loose. We lost one socket while doing this too! I've posted a picture of what it did to our first socket. Off to Sears to get the new one.

Let me know your thoughts... can we get the cover off without removing the head? Do you think the chain has cut a hole in the aluminum like we suspect or is there something else we should look into?

Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey Chef....looks like i missed some stuff here lately. been real busy with work etc and not around as much as i used to be.

that bolt.......yeah...squeaky clean w/o sealer......hopefully that's the trick for ya.

good luck with the PS pump

hope all is well with your dad.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skibjork
Hi everyone, thought I would jump in on this thread and see if you've got some tips for me seeing that I'm in somewhat a similar situation. I have an '87 4Runner and recently would lose all my water into the engine... chocolate milk, white smoke and all.

In doing a compression test found out that the head is sound. Took off the rocker cover and noticed that the timing chain is cutting into the aluminum heavy on the driver's side. Thinking that it has cut a hole big enough for water to escape from the pump into the oil.

I've removed everything down to the timing chain cover and cylinder head and I'm hoping that I can remove the timing cover without removing the head. We removed all the bolts from the cover and dropped the pan and have only the distributor, which I'll get to tomorrow night. Is this possible or do I need to remove the head? Will I tear up the head gasket doing this?

As for the bolt on the drive shaft it took us a huge pipe wrench on the wheels (clutch sucks) and a long cheater bar for both of us to bust it loose. We lost one socket while doing this too! I've posted a picture of what it did to our first socket. Off to Sears to get the new one.

Let me know your thoughts... can we get the cover off without removing the head? Do you think the chain has cut a hole in the aluminum like we suspect or is there something else we should look into?

Thanks all!

hey man...you're pretty much in the right spot.

1st off....use impact sockets.....much stronger.

2nd....yes the TC cover can be replaced without removing the head....I did not do it that way......member TOYOSPEARO has done it several times that way though

see "THREAD B" in my sig and you will see how the chain can cut through the timing cover
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
I had to replace that top o ring on the power steering pump also, and the only place i could find it was the dealer.
DAGNABBIT! hahaha. How funny.... At first I thought, "WHAT IF THAT was the only thing leaking on the steering pump????????? Then I remembered, it WAS leaking out the front...no way in heck that o-ring could leak down and then to the front of the pump, near the front seal, unless I always drove on a 45* Angled hill all day....lol. I PRAY that does the trick as far as 'completing the necessities list' for the pump.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
hey Chef....looks like i missed some stuff here lately. been real busy with work etc and not around as much as i used to be.

that bolt.......yeah...squeaky clean w/o sealer......hopefully that's the trick for ya.

good luck with the PS pump

hope all is well with your dad.
Yeah, I HOPE it's the only issue..... I guess it's worth a try to not have to remove the oil pump, etc.... and it's BRAND NEW, with new o-ring, front seal, etc.... so HOPEFULLY, yes! lol. Far as the steering, it's a brand new pump from an guy here in the South Bay(SOCAL South Bay, not SF Bay, lol).... But they NEVER come with that elbow inlet from the return hose, so I'll just have to wait till tomorrow AM! GRRR, lol. S'ok, can't hurt to let it cure for a total of 48 hrs., and I double checked all the torque ratings on the Oil pump, and then some around it. Amazing, how it took so long to leak! My theory is that it took that long to pool to that level where it flooded that AC bracket-thru-timing cover bolt. On second thought...now that I think about it, it's been leaking for a couple weeks, and even before the trip to the Sierras... just not as bad as it was recently. THANK GOD it didn't just all pour out on that trip, in the middle of nowhere! lol. Good thing I'd have had AAA+, ....gives me free 100Mile tow! lol.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
hey man...you're pretty much in the right spot.

1st off....use impact sockets.....much stronger.

2nd....yes the TC cover can be replaced without removing the head....I did not do it that way......member TOYOSPEARO has done it several times that way though

see "THREAD B" in my sig and you will see how the chain can cut through the timing cover
Best wishes, to that guy(One of many highjackers on my threads, HAHAHA, jkjk,....that's what I love about these threads...they're helping others...).... Hope you get it done up right and quickly, since you probably need the rig, right?

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Toy thank you! I have been looking through your thread and it has answered a lot already. I'll let you know how this ends up and definitely be using your thread as a guide.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 PM

92 Toy thank you! I have been looking through your thread and it has answered a lot already. I'll let you know how this ends up and definitely be using your thread as a guide.

i definitely don't have all the answers....that's CHEF....he's the trouble-shooting guru here. i can only say what i did and what worked for me.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM

You mean, if every possible thing that could go wrong while doing an entire rebuild with the motor in the vehicle.....if that happens? YEP, then JERRY'S YOUR MAN!!! Hehehe.... Jk, and WHAT? I AM NOT a Guru! lol... Learned lots, but I do think this thread could be helpful to many(maybe it has? lol)... and Bjork... PLEASE, feel free to ask anything you want to me... Can't speak for anyone else, but I would love to help in any way I can. MANY have helped me. BTW, Jerry IS DA MAN! lol... He seems to have a "Hmm, what's the hardest way to do this?" mentality that's THANKFULLY slipping away! Hahahaha. jk, AGAIN, totally joking! You'z got'z skillz, Homie!

Might want to start a thread though, Bjork...and I don't say that to keep you off here.(Sorry if you've already got one..haven't look that far ahead yet! lol)... Reason being, MANY more people are likely to chime in and give you their, often, VERY VALUABLE 2 Cents, if you have a fresh new thread going with detailed descriptions of what you're tackling, what you've tackled, WHO YOU WANT TO TACKLE!.... lol... ya know?

Best wishes, Bjork,

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM

i agree with CHEF on starting a thread....i know myself i am not likely to click into a thread i've never been on before to catch up......new threads see more initial traffic, then it filters down to several "participants" in the thread.

i know you are bustin me Mark...it's all good. I have, on several occasions, done things the hard way, that is true. it builds character.....yeah...i'll stick with THAT lie.....yeah.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed