Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tape some paper towels to the engine to determine where the leak is actually coming from.. works out pretty good..

degrease your engine and wipe it down and check it every day...

to help you pin point were the leak icoming from

Chef you can buy the dye and put it in the oil and use a ultraviolet light to see where that puppy is leakings.. it works great...
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 PM

I haven't read all 38 pages (lol) but did you get the original issue fixed? I know my 87's EFI harness ended up with TWO intermittent injector wires from bending the wires during the last re-build. It would run fine - and then BAM - running on 3 cylinders or even two! It would come and go randomly, and no smoke since there was no un-burned fuel - and the mixture stayed within limits (I don't think I got any codes the whole time!). I eventually disovered the EFI harness was bad and replaced it after MONTHS of this - ran fine from then on until I cracked a valve

This was probably solved somewhere around page 20 or so - so forgive me if I missed the solution

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymouse
how much is it leaking chef? 1/2 quart per oil change or more?
Well, it was barely noticeable, Mouse... In fact, after swapping out the CAM, I drove over 600 Miles and came home, checked the oil.... Well, while I did drip a lil, it was not even registering on the stick. NOW, however, it's actually beginning to pool up under the truck every time I stop in the garage for a minute after a drive around. I will answer more specifically at the end of this post... THANKS for the response, Buddy! One of the 'always dependable to respond' guys you are, indeed!

Originally Posted by myyota
Can you pull that bolt out and reseal it and see if the leak stops ?, or clean the area real good and go for a short drive and then see if you can tell were its coming from.
Well, here is a problem, IF, IN FACT, it's leaking from the bolt that takes sealant... See, that bolt is BEHIND the Crank Pulley Assembly. OY VEY! LOL. If it's actually leaking from that larger bolt, where it seems to be the only place I can see it actually REALLY coming out of....well, then I could pull that one, just barely, and put it back in....However, that bolt TAKES NO sealant, ya know? Only thing I can think is that it's leaking through the main seal and pooling up in the lower end of the cover, then leaking out that bolt....OR, it's leaking from the bolt that takes sealant, then dripping down the channel to that one and out from where the washer is.....EEEEK! lol.

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
tape some paper towels to the engine to determine where the leak is actually coming from.. works out pretty good..

Chef you can buy the dye and put it in the oil and use a ultraviolet light to see where that puppy is leakings.. it works great...
Thanks, 90.... appreciate the ideas. Only problem is that it seems to be leaking from the inside, outward, through the bolt hole of the bottom left front cover assembly. My sender is tight now, and I'm going to pull it tomorrow and actually put thread seal on it. I've read it's not uncommon for that to vibrate itself out every thousand miles after a 1/4 million miles or so! lol. We'll see if this really good thread seal/very-mild-lock will stuff it up for good....However, that leak is VERY negligible, if at all, and only seems to leak when it's been around 1000 miles or so. I WILL eliminate that Sender from the list, NO doubt, post haste! lol.

Originally Posted by Randyman...
I haven't read all 38 pages (lol) but did you get the original issue fixed? I know my 87's EFI harness ended up with TWO intermittent injector wires from bending the wires during the last re-build. It would run fine - and then BAM - running on 3 cylinders or even two! It would come and go randomly, and no smoke since there was no un-burned fuel - and the mixture stayed within limits (I don't think I got any codes the whole time!). I eventually disovered the EFI harness was bad and replaced it after MONTHS of this - ran fine from then on until I cracked a valve

This was probably solved somewhere around page 20 or so - so forgive me if I missed the solution

Hey bud, .....yeah, the major miss was pretty much solved by the CAM Swap... I should have just started a new thread for that project(and in fact I just may..."CAM SWAP without removing the head"), but for now, if you're interested, it can't be more than a couple pages back. It's also on my build thread. ONE HECK OF A MYSTERY-GREMLIN, that one was! lol. Thanks, man, for stopping in with a 'nugget' for me! Appreciated, much!

OKKKKKKKKK, so, to summarize this whole 'LEAK' thing...

1. I got underneath and removed the skid plate, 2 days ago.
2. While under there, inspecting,....I tightened up the ONLY ONE oil pan bolt that was a lil loose. I think it's been that way since I had it on the hoist.
3. I then tightened up the Oil Sending unit(14mm sucker, not to easy or too hard, ....took a while, but I got it to tighten a full turn....and it got VERY Snug, ..so I doubt it's stripped.
4. Came out, started it, got back underneath and watched, with TONS of light..... Noticed that oil was coming from above the pan on the front of the engine(Left of the oil pump, bottom left bolt, which goes through the A/C bracket). As I let it run, it really became noticeable that it's REALLY getting worse, day by day.

My question is; Does ANYONE have any clue as to what 'defect' or 'missed torquing' could cause this... and, furthermore,....HOW could oil even get to that bolt, if the 'FRONT MAIN SEAL' is tight and the 'OIL PUMP BOLT THAT TAKES SEALANT' is secure???? Could the cover possibly be cracked? If so, ....oh forget it..I was gonna sound angry and mean, FURIOUS even..... It's just not me! hahaha. However, I'm not happy, at this point, having NO FREAKY DEAKY CLUE how oil could be coming out from that bottom left(large) cover bolt.

Here is a picture of the bolt............and then some, lol.....

Center of the Picture.....

Here is my steering pump, leaking like a pig now. I'll be picking one up, 2mrw...

My oil sender that was leaking a lil bit.....again, lol....

Oil pump and bolts...don't seem to be leaking, at least from the bolts anyway...

For 90, regarding the "degrease the motor" suggestion.... as you can see, there's really nothing to degrease... I got it clean as possible and have kept it that way as best as possible......

Below, a picture of the axle, below the oil pan, where you can see it's dripping off of here, as well(I think some of this is from the steering pump)..

Then, just a bonus picture of the Bumper/Grill guard I got from Jim, the owner of Downey, in person, at his home, just the other day....CHEAP!(I also got some Mega Travel BJ's from him, 80$ for the pair, no pics yet, that will go in with my 1" BJ spacers and new shocks and HD Lower Bj's) I just have to surface the bumper guard and paint it the same paint as my engine.........
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
how much is it leaking chef? 1/2 quart per oil change or more?
Well, it was barely noticeable, Mouse... In fact, after swapping out the CAM, I drove over 600 Miles and came home, checked the oil.... Well, while I did drip a lil, it was not even registering on the stick. NOW, however, it's actually beginning to pool up under the truck every time I stop in the garage for a minute after a drive around. I will answer more specifically at the end of this post... THANKS for the response, Buddy! One of the 'always dependable to respond' guys you are, indeed!

Originally Posted by myyota
Can you pull that bolt out and reseal it and see if the leak stops ?, or clean the area real good and go for a short drive and then see if you can tell were its coming from.
Well, here is a problem, IF, IN FACT, it's leaking from the bolt that takes sealant... See, that bolt is BEHIND the Crank Pulley Assembly. OY VEY! LOL. If it's actually leaking from that larger bolt, where it seems to be the only place I can see it actually REALLY coming out of....well, then I could pull that one, just barely, and put it back in....However, that bolt TAKES NO sealant, ya know? Only thing I can think is that it's leaking through the main seal and pooling up in the lower end of the cover, then leaking out that bolt....OR, it's leaking from the bolt that takes sealant, then dripping down the channel to that one and out from where the washer is.....EEEEK! lol.

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup

Thanks, 90.... appreciate the ideas. Only problem is that it seems to be leaking from the inside, outward, through the bolt hole of the bottom left front cover assembly. My sender is tight now, and I'm going to pull it tomorrow and actually put thread seal on it. I've read it's not uncommon for that to vibrate itself out every thousand miles after a 1/4 million miles or so! lol. We'll see if this really good thread seal/very-mild-lock will stuff it up for good....However, that leak is VERY negligible, if at all, and only seems to leak when it's been around 1000 miles or so. I WILL eliminate that Sender from the list, NO doubt, post haste! lol.

Originally Posted by Randyman...

Hey bud, .....yeah, the major miss was pretty much solved by the CAM Swap... I should have just started a new thread for that project(and in fact I just may..."CAM SWAP without removing the head"), but for now, if you're interested, it can't be more than a couple pages back. It's also on my build thread. ONE HECK OF A MYSTERY-GREMLIN, that one was! lol. Thanks, man, for stopping in with a 'nugget' for me! Appreciated, much!

OKKKKKKKKK, so, to summarize this whole 'LEAK' thing...

1. I got underneath and removed the skid plate, 2 days ago.
2. While under there, inspecting,....I tightened up the ONLY ONE oil pan bolt that was a lil loose. I think it's been that way since I had it on the hoist.
3. I then tightened up the Oil Sending unit(14mm sucker, not to easy or too hard, ....took a while, but I got it to tighten a full turn....and it got VERY Snug, ..so I doubt it's stripped.
4. Came out, started it, got back underneath and watched, with TONS of light..... Noticed that oil was coming from above the pan on the front of the engine(Left of the oil pump, bottom left bolt, which goes through the A/C bracket). As I let it run, it really became noticeable that it's REALLY getting worse, day by day.

My question is; Does ANYONE have any clue as to what 'defect' or 'missed torquing' could cause this... and, furthermore,....HOW could oil even get to that bolt, if the 'FRONT MAIN SEAL' is tight and the 'OIL PUMP BOLT THAT TAKES SEALANT' is secure???? Could the cover possibly be cracked? If so, ....oh forget it..I was gonna sound angry and mean, FURIOUS even..... It's just not me! hahaha. However, I'm not happy, at this point, having NO FREAKY DEAKY CLUE how oil could be coming out from that bottom left(large) cover bolt.

Here is a picture of the bolt............and then some, lol.....

Center of the Picture.....

Here is my steering pump, leaking like a pig now. I'll be picking one up, 2mrw...

My oil sender that was leaking a lil bit.....again, lol....

Oil pump and bolts...don't seem to be leaking, at least from the bolts anyway...

For 90, regarding the "degrease the motor" suggestion.... as you can see, there's really nothing to degrease... I got it clean as possible and have kept it that way as best as possible......

Below, a picture of the axle, below the oil pan, where you can see it's dripping off of here, as well(I think some of this is from the steering pump)..

Then, just a bonus picture of the Bumper/Grill guard I got from Jim, the owner of Downey, in person, at his home, just the other day....CHEAP!(I also got some Mega Travel BJ's from him, 80$ for the pair, no pics yet, that will go in with my 1" BJ spacers and new shocks and HD Lower Bj's) I just have to surface the bumper guard and paint it the same paint as my engine.........
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It looks like the oil pump seal is just bad, and if that`s all it is consider your self lucky. Last year my truck started leaking oil from the crank shaft seal like i had turned a sprinkler system on, i bought a new seal and pulled everything a part and when i got the oil pump off it was all chewed up on the inside and full of metal pieces, and it also chewed up the oil pump drive gear. I had to replace the oil pump and drive gear, about 150.00 in parts. So when you pull your oil pump off inspect it real well for wear or damage.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 AM

chef the coned shaped on the back of your harmonic balancer pulley is called oil slinger its desigen to slinger drit and debri from getting in to the front main seal..

when the seal leaks it will spray the oil all over the front oil cover...

chef if you want the timken part # for the seal i got at AutoZone just let me know its a glove box away...

i would either put teflon tape or pipe dope on the oil sender unit.

thats one clean engine chef...
Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i agree with myyota that the oil pump seal is leaking and shoulb be a easy fix for ya. To keep the oil from leaking for the time being might i suggest adding this in you next oil change It does nothing to harm or clog your motor and i can vouch it will slow or stop leaks on the motor. I think this is the second time i've posted that this week. Any ways good luck chef i'm off to the garage to finish up the "travis" truck build to get it streetable.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck on the oil leak, I think your questions have already been ansewer about where it is coming from.

NICE FIND on that Downey front bumper & ball joints! I always loved Downey products, shame they are out of business. Don't supposed he has anymore? You wanta sell yours? I would love to get my hands on those mega travel ball joints. PRETTY PLEASE!!! LOL!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM

WOW, thanks guys.....and ON A SUNDAY! Now that makes me feel special, hehehe.... No, REALLY, thanks, big time!

Ok, so, you're not saying it's the 'Front main seal'... Rather, the "oil pump seal", instead? Help me out here......

So you mean the Oil pump seal, ORRRRR, the O-Ring? I'm trying to hash it out in my head, but I would think if the O-ring is leaking, then the Oil Pump seal is holding, otherwise it would be leaking from behind the crank pulley, down onto the ground....which it does not appear to be doing. So, the O-ring, if it's leaking on the left, would leak into the timing cover and down to that bolt and out of it????

I know that the bolt right below the timing marker portion of the Oil pump gets the sealant....but, what I'm guessing is, ...even if that was leaking, it would probably leak right out of that bolt hole, not necessarily through that Larger bolt that I posted a pic of.....Only if the "O-Ring" was leaking could oil be coming out of that larger bolt???

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-24-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Chef, try pulling that bolt and resealing it and see if it stops leaking before you pull the oil pump, you might get lucky and stop the leak.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks Myyota....

Question. It looks, at least to me(I'm still learning, lol), that that bolt that takes the sealant is 'INSIDE' of the 'O-Ring' seal...... Meaning: Even if that bolt is allowing oil to pass, wouldn't 'said' oil have to then seep past the 'O-Ring'?

Also, don't I have to, (1.) break the Crank Bolt, and then, (2.) Pull the Crank Pulley Assembly, in order to get to that bolt or at least in order to back it all the way out??? I would just feel it as such a waste of time to pull all above-said items, then put it back together, only to have it be the actual issue is "Oil is leaking past the O-Ring"...... And, I guess I'm asking, ....even if that bolt is not sealing, doesn't the O-ring have to be ineffective in order for oil to then leak down and then through that A/C Bracket Bolt???
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM

All of the mounting bolts for the oil pump are on the out side of the oil pump seal, so if the oil is leaking from one of the oil pump bolts or from around the edge of the oil pump then the seal is bad.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Wait, help me out here.... hahaha.... just until I get it, bear with me, k????? lol

1. You said, "All of the mounting bolts for the oil pump are on the out side of the oil pump seal, so if the oil is leaking from one of the oil pump bolts or from around the edge of the oil pump then the seal is bad.".... SOOOOOOOOO, are you saying that the 'FRONT OIL SEAL' is more likely the culprit, or that the o-ring is?

2. Question; IFFFFFF the bolt that requires sealant is leaking oil, would it more likely leak out of somewhere in the housing of the cover, like where it's leaking now? OR, is it IMPOSSIBLE for it to leak anywhere but 'OUT OF ITS OWN BOLT HEAD'???
Old 10-24-2010, 02:14 PM

its a quick fix, you could have all done in under 2 hrs
Old 10-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Oh, I know, 90,.... trust me, I'm not meaning to be a pain, lol.... I'm only trying to KNOW THAT I KNOW that I'm fully aware of all the variables, ahead of time, that way I won't be tearing into things that quite possibly aren't the issue in the first place, ya know?

For instance, ....It would make sense to me that the oil pump seal could be good, but the o-ring is bad, causing it to leak somewhere on the timing cover outside of the area of the oil pump......But I'm not sure I understand what "seal" he means. I would think if the actual front/oil pump seal is leaking, it would just leak out the front/center where the crank bolt comes out....From the seal I mean, not necessarily from anywhere else, unless the o-ring was, in fact, bad.

One thing I really would love a clear answer(if there even is one, lol) to, is; If that bolt under the timing mark of the oil pump, that goes through the oil pump housing, is leaking..... where would it be coming out from? I would think that, if that is leaking, and it can cause oil to leak all inside of the timing cover, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the o-ring is bad, since what Myyota is telling me that "the oil pump bolts are all outside of the o-ring"...

Does that make sense? For all I know, that bolt that takes sealant can only leak out through the bolt hole itself.... meaning, the bolt goes through a channel that seals right up against the timing cover, so it can't leak from anywhere else but there. I would think if it's the problem, in any way, it WOULD DEFINITELY leak from the head of the bolt, if the sealant wasn't holding....NO?????
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wait, help me out here.... hahaha.... just until I get it, bear with me, k????? lol

1. You said, "All of the mounting bolts for the oil pump are on the out side of the oil pump seal, so if the oil is leaking from one of the oil pump bolts or from around the edge of the oil pump then the seal is bad.".... SOOOOOOOOO, are you saying that the 'FRONT OIL SEAL' is more likely the culprit, or that the o-ring is?

2. Question; IFFFFFF the bolt that requires sealant is leaking oil, would it more likely leak out of somewhere in the housing of the cover, like where it's leaking now? OR, is it IMPOSSIBLE for it to leak anywhere but 'OUT OF ITS OWN BOLT HEAD'???
Go back and look at the picture on post 949, you can see the bolt holes on the timing cover were the oil pump mounts, there all on the out side of the o ring seal. it would also be a good idea to replace the o ring seal and the crank shaft seal just to play if safe while you have it all a part. If the crank shaft seal was leaking the balancer would be slinging oil every were. I doubt if the bolt that`s leaking would leak out some were else, I would remove the bolt and wrap the threads in teflon take and then put some altra black sealer around the head of the bolt and tighten it down, let it sit for a day so it can dry and then try it out and see if it leaks.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM

mytoyota i like your logic, sounds like you have common sense..
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Hey guys.... I will be tearing into the oil leak issue tomorrow... Mainly because, I have a steering pump on order and it comes in tomorrow afternoon.... and the core is nearly as much as the new pump...so I had to have the steering pump out when I hit the parts counter, tomorrow. Plus, I have to eliminate it as one of the leaks that it is, and it's also leaking all over my brand new NOT CHEAP alternator! lol... Here's the hole..........

I was thinking of pulling the Valance to get an idea on where to weld in the new HD Bumper/Grill guard from Downey...but the third one WOULD NOT BUDGE! lol... So, I guess I'll have to let it soak for the night in some PB while it thinks about IT'S ATTITUDE! This screw on the pass. side is what I'm speaking of...dirty lil bugger! lol...

EDIT, .... I also went back out there and tore off the Fan, Shroud, belts, and already have the intake air pipe out.... I should be figuring out what it is, tomorrow. Wish me well, please? lol... Actually, I'm serious, as I have to get out and see my Father in Havasu, AZ.... He's not been himself, if ya know what I mean...and IT'S BEEN TOO LONG! Ahhhh! lol.

Thanks guys, ...as I said, I don't mean to be a pain... Just can't seem to verify exactly what I'm looking at until I'm in there. Thought I'd ask every detail I could so I can know what to look out for. All of it makes sense, but the variables of whether it's the Pump seal, O-Ring or sealant-riddled bolt have me a lil curious. I'ma remove that bolt, first, after I get the Harmonic off... see if it's soaked in oil past the sealant. If so, I might just stop there, because I THINK it could very well leak down to the left(the side the leak is on) and drain out that bolt(the next lowest point below the sealant riddled bolt, hehehe.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK, GUYS!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-24-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, I guess I've lost everyone in my endless babblings, hahahaha. Anywayyyyyyyy.......

I'M SO TICKED OFF, I can't even begin to express it... and that's not like me! lol. However, I'm HOPING I can say that "I'm pleased" to say that I found something while tearing down to the Oil Pump..... Some pics of the tear down, then the pic of "WHAT I THINK JUST MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM, DERRRRRRR!"......

My method for getting the Crank Bolt off...... (Pic below of breaker set up) 1/2" drive HD socket wrench, Cheater Pipe over handle of wrench, 1/2" drive extension out the other side, lay on back, put in 5th gear with blocks BEHIND the tires.... Pull with all my weight elevated off the ground..... 'CRACK', thread outward, done! lol.....

Steering pump, water pump/fan belt pulley, crank and radiator shroud bolts that had to be removed to get to the oil pump....

Crank Pulley off, .....seems to look fine, oil inside but none leaking outside of the seal....

Seal.........

What it should look like if you're tackling this......

NOW, LOOK WHAT I FOUND, ON THE OIL PUMP MOUNTING BOLT THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SLATHERED IN SEALANT!.............

I will be asking for at least 500$ back from him, and I have MANY Machinists and top notch 22re mechanics that have ALREADY said they'd back me up if he refuses to just HONOR HIS CRAPPY WORK! All that aside.... a question..........

Would it be logical to assume that my oil leak is 99% SURELY coming from that bolt? I've learned that they can take a while to really get pouring out of there. I WILL tear off the oil pump and replace all the seals, etc., if some guru's tell me it would be advised.... but DANG IT I don't want to if I don't have to! lol.....

PLEASE??????
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Awh man, I bet you are angry! That is tweice this particular machinest has made a terrible mistake. I'd be prepaired to bet that is where all of your oil is coming from bud.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed