Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, 90.... I wish I had a better Video Cam, other than my Mini-VHS JVC... but alas, I don't...so these Ashton Kushter Nikon Videos will have to do for now, hahaha. I just hope it helps someone or maybe get's them to finally just "DO IT", ya know? lol. I let mine go for at least 4 years, lol..... And lost many of shows/games/times i wanted music while camping because it was just really messed up(the Orig. one, lol). Hopefully, this thing will work for a while, eh? lol.

Good hearing from ya, 90.... if that is indeed your name! :>/ hahahaha.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Good job on the power antenna Mark!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks, Rob....

It's working great. It's a lil angled forward, so I'm going to tinker with that....other than that, it's fine. That's probably cuz it's pretty large and barely fits in there, lol. Gave you a shout out in my video, Rob, hahahaha! Hope you're rig gets sussed up quick and to your liking!

Mark
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Chef, what kind of radio do you have in your 4Runner ?, There is no working radio in my 4Runner right now so i need everything to re-do it. I need a radio, speakers and i was thinking of running a small amp to boost the bass up a little. Nice video of the rain, i just moved from california to idaho and it snows here in the winter. Ive never lived were it snows before so it will be a new experiance for me.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Hey Myyota, HOWZIT???

Well, I have a Pioneer, 4x50W Mosfet, XM REady that I got for 20$ used, 5 years ago. It's a fold down face to put in the CD type deal. This keeps crap out of the internals a bit better, I suppose is why they did that. I've always had either Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine. The Alpine had INCREDIBLE sound, but was pricey, ....and the Kenwood had great power, but the Pioneer has better power and sound. Had a Sony X-Plode, broke QUICK-LIKE!... Or should I say "EX-PLODED!" lol.

All that said, it depends on what you wanna spend. Right now, Pep-Boys has a VERY DECENT Kenwood, with remote, Front Aux/MP3 input for around 80$. I think in some cases it even comes with 6" Round 3 Ways for the doors. If you want higher end, w/amp, I would watch the City Ads around you, like Pennysaver or Recycler, here. Look for the competing Stereo/Alarm/Tint shops competing in those ads, and then pick the one that has the best rep for install, etc. If you're going to do it, and you don't care about price, I'd go with a name brand from Best Buy or something, install it yourself(if you can). If you DO care about price, just go with the Pep Boys Radio and you can even get a decent Amp there too. Make sure you think out the speakers. I pulled mine from the very rear of my Runner, as they JUST DIDN'T have enough "RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME" sound, ya know? So, I put 4" Blaupunkt High Output speakers in the dash, and Pioneer 4-way 6x9's in portable/carpeted boxes in the rear seat floor area. I put an extra 6'ft. of wire on them so I can now put them on the roof, etc. I had, in my totaled 86 White runner, an AMP, too.... it really did help. I mounted it under the passenger seat, easy as cake! I LOVE the 6x9 boxes because I can also put them on top of my gear when on camping trips, which I DO in fact do.

You could get that Pepboys Kenwood w/remote, 2- 4" speakers for the dash replacements, 2- quality 6x9's for the rear and an Amp for about 400$, if you shop wisely and look around. My AMP was a 4-Channel, but you can run a 2 channel, split, to 4 smaller speakers like this.

Now, if you want to go crazy, many people do 8 Speakers in these. Just too much to go wrong in my opinion....but NOT a bad idea if you have the money or skills, lol. My system blows people away for what it is...even without an amp!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM

Here's my radio, Myyota, which you're obviously going to want newer if you went Pioneer... And here's a pick of the Antenna Button that is no longer needed........ (I'M GOING TO USE THAT SWITCH OR AT LEAST THE HOLE FOR MY DICK CEPEK 8" LIGHTS when I install them).

I was trying to explain in the video, that this button automatically goes back to center when you're not pressing it. So, with this aftermarket antenna, it would go up, but the second I'd let go, it would go back down! lol. So, I had to go off the aftermarket radio harness Remote Control Plug, as I'd said.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey chef, i got a sony exploder.. it works just fine i got it for 134.99 a few months back

i exploded the mopar speaker that was already install when i bought the truck... ya i've just been lazy about buying new speakers and paying over 60 bucks for 2..

chef i got a video camarea from 99.. its a 8mm ya its out dated but it works great...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Hey 90,

Yeah, I have a Nikon 10.8 MM Nikon Coolpix for my "whatever/point and shoot" type dealio, lol.... WORKS FANTASTIC, ...it's just not the same as HD-Video like some have. But, I have a Canon DSLR Camera that's SUPER-FANTASTICALACIOUSIBULOUS! lol, hahaha. So, I guess it's ok, and as long as everyone can see the videos(except for when I can't get light cuz of the rain, etc.)... then I'm not complaining.

Far as the Sony, I had 2 die on me within a year(they'd replaced the explodededed one with a warranty replacement). So, I just went back to Pioneer. I know, Sony probably makes fine stuff... not dissin them necessarily. Just personal experience, ya know? Far as the speakers, have you checked out PepBoys, 90? They really have good deals for the DIY'r type guy. Sure, they're not Cerwin Vega Titaniums, ...but they DO have good speakers for pretty good prices! (Even better when they're on sale, ya know? )

Mopar, eh? Not sure I know of that one. Wait, aren't they made by "Kicker"? Just for the heck of it, check your local Pepboys, ok 90? I'm thinking about a set of their 6" for the doors, and maybe an amp to run all 6 in that case.... They have 10" Dual Sub's Box + Amp for 129$... so I KNOW they'll have at least a 'decent' door speaker and smaller amp for me. I might just go to Best Buy for an Open Box deal, ya know? Always what i've done before, and always come with the same guarantee, so WHY NOT, eh? lol.

L8r brudda,

Mark
Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM

YA, MOPAR SPEAKERS i think the came out of some old mopar vehicel of some sort about mid to early 90's the have the diamomd patteren on the magnet
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM

I'd love to put the 6" 'Rounds' in my doors, but I just can't stomach cutting into these panels.... they're perfect, and I know how hard it can be with electric windows to fit stuff like that, lol.

Saw some Cerwin Vega 6" 3ways the other day at Best Buy for 68$(open box)... walked around the store for 20 minutes, came back, GONE! LOL. ("beats self in head with stick!", lol).
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM

hey chef ,how are you doing ? I have been using this company for speakers they are great sounding and great prices . They even have a section to figure what resistors or cross overs you may need http://www.parts-express.com/home.cf...d=7080065113.1
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I put 4 4 in in my 94 and it sounds great I just replaced factory ones with ones that fit 4 in all 4 and new tweeters and capacitors (or what ever they said I needed ) under $75
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 PM

Dangitttttt! I had typed out a whole post and the site froze up on me, ...AGAIN, lol. Oh well

What I was saying is; Gonna have to build my IFS and 'de-leak' my diff's and trans main seal before I do any 'sounds mods', lol. I"D LOVE TO! Just have to be practical, ya know? And, THANKS for the site. When I'm ready, I'll most DEFINITELY give them a shout to see what's what, ya know?

Take care, Mike,

Mark
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM

Yo Chef,

I am having my system installed on Friday. I finally found a good person and has great rates. Tell you all about it tomorrow!

Speakers, check out Focal. I am doing focal components in the front doors (my panels are hammered as you know) and Focal 6x9's in the rear stock location with a little "messaging"

As for head units I went with an Alpine IDA-x303 Media unit. All of my music lives on an ipod or my iphone. Alpine also makes a cool "booster" that works with the head unit as an amp in place of having to run an amp.

Also installing handsfree for the phone, and XM-Sirius radio.

Friggan STOKED man.

Sorry for the hijack... LOL
Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 PM

No worries, brudda! REALLY stoked for ya! I'm content with my sounds for the moment(LOVE to have that system.....just have to pic my battles in the proverbial "War on Brokededed/Breaking things" lol.)

Can't wait to get there and get an idea of what, exactly, your plan is. See ya there, granting nothing comes up.

Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Okkkkkkk,

Hopefully, I'll get some 'shouts' thru the weekend one how exactly to tackle this....

Long story short;

I HAVE AN OIL LEAK! Worst part of it is, it's leaking out from behind the bottom left bolt(large one) that goes through the A/C bracket and through the timing cover. I'm going to make sure it's not leaking from the one above it, the one that takes the sealant slaved on there.... maybe it's just leaking down from there onto the bracket and into the bolt, or maybe just through the bolt... Long and short of it, I'M NOT SURE how to tackle this.

Anyone experience this before? Doesn't look like my pan was leaking, like I'd thought. It was the Oil Sender coming loose again and the timing cover bolt(bottom left bolt).

Please, I could really use some advice on the best way to verify/tackle this....Do i need to tear down some things? Can I probably pull the sealant bolt and reseal it?

GOOD LORD I'm hoping it's nothing serious......but I doubt it. Pretty sure it's the sealant bolt leaking down through the larger bolt below it.

???????????????????????HELP??????????????????????? ?? LOL.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM

Hey Chef, After asking you about your stereo set up i did some searching on ebay and ordered a new stereo and speakers. I ordered a pioneer head unit (MEH-12E), and pyle driver speakers, 4'' two way speakers for the dash and 3 way 6x9`s for the rear. I also ordered a cobra 75 cb, antenna, antenna mount, and coax. it should all be here next week.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Okkkkkkk, Repost;

Hopefully, I'll get some 'shouts' thru the weekend one how exactly to tackle this....

Long story short;

I HAVE AN OIL LEAK! Worst part of it is, it's leaking out from behind the bottom left bolt(large one) that goes through the A/C bracket and through the timing cover. I'm going to make sure it's not leaking from the one above it, the one that takes the sealant slaved on there.... maybe it's just leaking down from there onto the bracket and into the bolt, or maybe just through the bolt... Long and short of it, I'M NOT SURE how to tackle this.

Anyone experience this before? Doesn't look like my pan was leaking, like I'd thought. It was the Oil Sender coming loose again and the timing cover bolt(bottom left bolt).

Please, I could really use some advice on the best way to verify/tackle this....Do i need to tear down some things? Can I probably pull the sealant bolt and reseal it?

GOOD LORD I'm hoping it's nothing serious......but I doubt it. Pretty sure it's the sealant bolt leaking down through the larger bolt below it.

???????????????????????HELP??????????????????????? ?? LOL.

PS> I saw your message, Myyota... I'm happy you found a nice system for ya! Just want this above post to get some answers..... Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
how much is it leaking chef? 1/2 quart per oil change or more?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Can you pull that bolt out and reseal it and see if the leak stops ?, or clean the area real good and go for a short drive and then see if you can tell were its coming from.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed