Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah Myyota....

I called my fav yard, and they said, "Yeah, that's gonna be a tough one to find, if you want factory. Sorry bud".... GRRR! LOL. I checked that one you posted, and they have the complete set up for 33$, INCLUDING SHIPPING! .... Guaranteed, etc., etc. I'm going to have to call them, however, as 2 things seem that they would be needed to adapt it to mine. Also, it's not 'plug and play', so I'd have to hack into the wires. Still, 13$ more for a brand new EVERYTHING, compared to trying to rebuild this one for 24$???? Not likely, lol.

Thanks again, Myyota... I'll call them now.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Well, AntennamastsRus.com said, "I would recommend, if possible, that you clean up your motor and replace just the mast with the drum that we send with it. Reason being, the mounting of the complete assembly on yours, in the SUV's, are much more difficult to match up. Our unit IS DIFFERENT, ...so you'd have to mess with it quite a bit in order to get it to fit right.... So I would try to replace the mast, which is OEM, instead.".... Geesh, not what I wanted to hear, ya know? lol. Hmmmm, ..I guess I'll keep fishing for the used one without corrosion, or, just try replacing the mast. OR, just plug a new manual antenna in for now!?!?!?! lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Here is the discount Dealer price, just for the heck of it....

$178.00..........

YEAH, RIGHT! While they do offer good prices, compared to walking in without a 20% Off Account Number.... NO WAY IN HECK I'm paying that for an antenna! Pshhhhhhfffffffbbt! lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
178 dollars for a freakin antenna, DAMN, no way i would ever pay that.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya, i say just get a new one.. its been used for over 20 years it did its job proudly..
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Yeah, stopped by the dealer to talk to my friend there..... He said, "Well, I have done many of the new ones, ...they're MUCH MORE compatible with aftermarket replacements, and are usually carbon fiber, rather than otherwise..... But getting an aftermarket to fit these is tough, because they rely on grounding, partially, at the inside/top of the fender, ...and they require a 1" minimum hole to get the stationary pivoting arm through. HOWEVER, there is one by Mentra or something like that, it should fit right through the hole,...>>Here's the part # for it, start calling the parts stores."..... Well, after calling every yard around here, and them saying they'd want 40-75$ from yard to yard, IF THEY found one(which they could not).... I figured, why not call around.

My buddy at O'reily's found the one I needed in the back. It should work, and if not, I can return it within 10 days(TO HIM, OF COURSE, lol) and get a full refund. Cost was 59$ for a fully automatic power antenna with sealed mast and amplified antenna as well. I was worried I'd have to cut the wires to get these in,...but I figured out a way, I HOPE, to put male clips on the end of the new antennas wiring, and insert them into the factory harness clip. Hoping I can get the part that mounts through the body to work well without any drama... I also hope that the Powermotor mounting can be haggled with to work as well(this motor is a bit bigger, ...eeek! lol)

I'ma try it out. And, I can't WAIT for this crappy weather to go away, ...it's making my flu very prolonged due to having to work and be outside at times every day,....GRRR! lol. Luckily, I have my garage heated to 75*F with my portable unit(radiator looking style...thing GETS SMOKING HOT! hahaha).

Take care, guys, I'll let you know asap if it's even gonna work. Should, it's 12 volts after all.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM

well atleast itsin the 80's here so i dont have that issue.. just in th morning's its been quite cold.. Old man winter is moving in...
Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Oh yeah, 90, .....

I've been pretty sick, which has DEFINITELY contributed in the factor of "DANG I FEEL COLD", hahaha... Butttttt, .... while I was in the garage last night, w/out the heater on, it was 40degrees and raining... so yeah, not great for even the tail end of the flu! haha.

It's been around 55 or so during the day.... and colder at night, for the last week or so. Starting Wed.???? .... "Forecast of 80*+ through the weekend, climbing to possibly 90*", hahahaha. Gotta love the CA weather.... which is only a lil more exciting or 'unpredictable' than Phoenix! lol. Seriously, there, in the winter?... "Hello, this is Fox Weather, it's going to be 74* today".... EVERY DAY, give or take a degree, for 4 months straight or so! hahaha. However, at night in the desert, ....can get to around 20* or so, and I woke up many mornings with ice all over my car when going to school in PHX! lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Ok, now I'm just getting ticked off! lol...........

Here's the deal;

I found a way for this Power Antenna to mount, etc. However, when it came time to try and plug in the red and blue wires to the plug I removed from the Factory power motor.......... NOTHING. Then, I read on.... "Plug the red wire into the aux. power, constant hot, blue can go to the Up-Down Switches and...".... "I thought, "wait, what?.... There are two wires right there, why doesn't it work with those...they're supposed to supply the up and down power through the switch."...or something like that. Ssooooooooooo, then I plugged the red right to the battery, blue into the blue wire side of the factory connector, ground to a good ground.... Pressed the "DOWN button" on the dash switch, and it went up, and the second I took my hand off it, it went back down. Switched the blue wire from the new motor to the white wire side of the factory connector...... pressed "UP BUTTON" in the dash and again, it went up, then went right back down the second I took my hand off it! WTHHHHHHH?

Any ideas? The instructions are saying something about the "blue wire should be installed INSIDE THE RADIO in the Volume Control Module, blah blah,...etc., etc..." ... WTH??? Why wouldn't it just work like the other one.... "When you press 'UP' it goes up and stays there... When you press 'DOWN' it goes down"...>?????????????? DID I ASK, ALREADY...... WTHHHHHHH? LOL.

Seems to work fine, smooth, quiet, ....etc. But it does me no good if it's going to go up and then right back down when I let go of the button!!!!!!!!!

ANY IDEAS???????
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
your factory switch is a momentary switch....when you let go of it the switch goes back to it center location correct? You either need to figure out the wiring for the antenna to work with that switch (beyond me) or get a switch that holds a positive on / off position? I know that is not much help, but that is why. Should it not go up and down with turning the radio on / off? Wifes 02 4runner doesn't have a switch at all, it just goes up or down when the radio turns on. Maybe you could bypass the switch all together & tap into the switched positive to the radio?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
your factory switch is a momentary switch....when you let go of it the switch goes back to it center location correct?
CORRECT! I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think that my truck is not set up to automatically go up and down when the radio goes on. In that case, I'd have to open the radio and solder the blue wire directly to the 'volume control power unit', correct?
You either need to figure out the wiring for the antenna to work with that switch (beyond me) or get a switch that holds a positive on / off position? I know that is not much help, but that is why....
It's beginning to make sense....

Should it not go up and down with turning the radio on / off? Wifes 02 4runner doesn't have a switch at all, it just goes up or down when the radio turns on. Maybe you could bypass the switch all together & tap into the switched positive to the radio?
This is where I'm at a loss. From the instructions with the radio, "If there is no automatic 'SWITCHED' power(meaning, if the antenna doesn't automatically go up and down when you turn on the radio or car on and down when off) you'll have to open the radio and tie into the radios volume control power switch, directly"........ Make sense? I've read some other threads, where people suggested just hooking the antenna directly to a toggle switch that I would have to mount somewhere. Starting to seem cheesy and could end up costing me another 10$ or so for a good on and off switch, right? Then I'm into 75$, including tax for the antenna.... DANGIT! lol I don't mind tying into some wiring or maybe adding a switch, ....IF IT WILL WORK, lol. Are you saying, Rob, that because that switch in my dash has to be held down to go up or down, ...it doesn't work with this power antenna motor because it's wired to be in a "Switched" system?
Ehhhhhhhh? lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Are you saying, Rob, that because that switch in my dash has to be held down to go up or down, ...it doesn't work with this power antenna motor because it's wired to be in a "Switched" system? <----- YES! a simple on / off switch that clicks and holds it's position would solve the problem I believe.

I would look into running a wire to the radio. It should have a power antenna wire, Is it an aftermarket radio? Sorry you might have said already.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Are you saying, Rob, that because that switch in my dash has to be held down to go up or down, ...it doesn't work with this power antenna motor because it's wired to be in a "Switched" system? <----- YES! a simple on / off switch that clicks and holds it's position would solve the problem I believe.

"I would look into running a wire to the radio. It should have a power antenna wire, Is it an aftermarket radio? Sorry you might have said already".
YES! Funny, it's been 5 years since I'd installed that stereo...... and I HAD ALMOST FORGOTTEN THAT I HAD! hahahaha.

Ok, SOOOOOOOOO, here's the deal(part 2, lol)

I didn't have time to do anything but go out there, just now.(JUST finished work, 20 minutes ago! eeek, lol). I remembered that I'd gone to Kragen and bought a "Toyota 85-89 radio harness connector".... which, when I looked at the wires going to it from my existing wiring, to this connector I bought, has a "Power Antenna" wire, ...it's printed right on there. I'll give that a shot, tomorrow, and hopefully, seeing that it's an aftermarket radio and aftermarket antenna.... it MIGHT JUST go up and down with the 'turning on' of the radio....WHATCHA THINK? hahaha. Maybe not...maybe my "truck wiring" has to have had it there already... but I'MA TRY! LOL.

Wish me luck, and THANKS, Rob... I know, you're just pointing out the CLEARLY OBVIOUS(at least it should have been to me, anyway, lol)... but that got me to go back out there and look after reading your post... THANKS! Whether it works or not, no one can say I didn't try, right? hehehe.

Mark
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM

I bet it will work Brudda!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM

AFTERMARKET FIRST GEN 4-Runner POWER ANTENNA INSTALLATION ATTEMPT UPDATE;

Hey Rob, guys,

Ok.......... here's the deal (Part 3) hahaha.........

1. When checking for power to that "Power Antenna/Switched" wire, provided in the loom from the aftermarket radio AND connector from Kragen.... NO JUICE, then turned on the radio,.....and, ....drumroll..... NO JUICE! hahaha.

2. Started fishing around in there, and found a labeled wire, reading "Remote Control" upon the tag wrapped around it..... NO JUICE..... Then turned on the radio, ....AND, DRUMROLL................. WE HAVE LIFT OFF! lol.

3. So, I hooked up the ground in the dash to the firewall, ran the "constant hot/RED" supplied/built in wire from the antenna to the battery, ran the blue wire to the "Remote Control" wire connector..... Turned on the radio, and VOILA, WE GOT TUNES, HOMIE!

4. Lastly, I Opened the garage, because a big problem I had with the Orig. OEM antenna was, ....'When I turned on the engine, for about 8 seconds, the speakers would almost burst with 'electronic noise', only when listening to AM radio....(which is what I pretty much always listen to when working.... Talk stuff, lol)'......... Well, turned the motor over, with the antenna down, radio on, and the antenna went up and picked up absolutely NO NOISE, AT ALL! Plus, I guess with the substantial corrosion going on with the OEM antenna, it was beginning to cause noise NO MATTER if the car was running or not, and was not even listenable when running.... no AM, and "OK" FM, but signal seeming to clip out, over and over.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, I have a couple questions....

1. The new antenna comes with a "Rubber-wiring-button" type fender seal, which I suppose needs to go into a 'new hole' I have to create in the fender/or/firewall-well. My question is this; WHERE IN THE HECK should I drill said hole???? (Behind the Glove Box Area? I know I need to check to be sure I don't 'HURT' anything, lol)

2. When I run the wires through, (Red-Constant Power), (Blue-Switched power), (Black-Ground), into the Cab, ....I'm clear on where to solder the Blue wire(To the "Remote Control" wire). However, I'm unclear as to where to install the 'Constant Hot' wire! I'm assuming that the best place would be in the "Driver Side Kick Panel Auxiliary Fuse Panel" Is that right????? And if so, WHERE?/WHICH ONE? I've run amplifiers through that panel before.... but it's been 15yrs, hahaha.

3. Can anyone please say a prayer for me????? hahaha. Actually, I should be fine, but I'm going to have to triple-test how to mount the antenna to the inner fender, due to having different angled mounting tabs and slightly different length(probably negligible....hopefully!lol).

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-19-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Antenna is in and works.......... (If you listen to the videos, below, TURN DOWN SPEAKERS....SORRY! LOL)

Below is a series of pictures and video at the end. Hope it's helpful for anyone thinking of adding an aftermarket "Fully Automatic Power Antenna" from Metra.

The brand and model #, for anyone with a First Gen. 4Runner(Pick-ups are the same, no?) is in the pic below.....

Mounted and wired in......................

Found this "Remote Control" wire from the Aftermarket Radio Harness that worked for the "Switched Power"... Yours might work with the "Power Antenna" wire...but mine had "NO POWER", lol.......

Ran the "Constant Hot''(RED) straight to the Battery, cuz I needs schoolin on the "HOW TO" wire to the Auxiliary Fuse Panel in drivers side kick panel.....Ran it through the Harness entrance on the inner fender right to battery....

Price, 59$ + Tax(CA) and NOTHING extra was needed, other than a "Wire Connector" to put the "Constant Hot" to the battery. But, if you do it to the fuse block, you probably wont need a thing......

Here is a video or two, below, for those who have sound......

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-21-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Another video of the rain, for the heck of it......

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-19-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM

thats a nice pool you got there chef... i was out in 29 palms for 5 years i know what your talking about the rain...
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM

29 Palms, eh? "Oorah"??? or just living there at the time? Thanks, it's really amazing how just a week ago it was 90+ and suddenly it's pouring unceasingly... I suppose if I was in Seattle or Portland I wouldn't be so amazed, hahaha. It's just been a while since it rained like this... and the video doesn't do justice, ...trust me, IT'S POURING!

PS> I looked into the aftermarket non-power antennas, 90,...but all of them required at LEAST a 1" hole.....and I aint cuttin, lol. I know, I could have figured out a way, but for 60$??? To have one that's not corroded and lifetime warranty? Fine with me. If I need a new mast down the road, it's VERY easy to replace, on these and I think the new ones have a twine or something in there to keep it from leaving pieces behind. Only thing was it's a bit bigger, so it took a lil haggling to get it in JUST RIGHT, ya know? But hey, it's working..... i'm happy! lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM

yah, chef i just took the round file to my fender, i didnt care i just need a antenna,

iam still rocking the second Mopar speakers in the left and right doors.. they are hanging in there by drywall screws.. i think its pretty hookie but its the way i got it.. and it work for now...

chef you had a nice video on the antenna..

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed