Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef nice battle cat, he looks like a tough bastard...

you def have a eye for pictures
Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Awesome Chef!! Looks like you were prepared! I am close for being ready for that caravan.

-R
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey 90, yeah, he's a cool cat, ....scuse the pun, lol. And thanks, regarding the compliment... I've been trying with my Canon for a while.....gotten pretty decent with it for a self taught guy. Key is to NOT shun watching videos and reading up on all they can do.... TRUST ME! lol.

ROB, my brudda... nice to hear from ya. Yeah, I'm always prepared.... I look at it this way... WHY NOT bring more than the guy who NEVER has enough, eh? hahaha. It's all useful.... Propane Tree, 5 Gal Tank, Compressor, 2 stoves, dutch oven, showers, toilet, seats, plenty of cooler'age, lockable food containers(bears AND squirrels, hahaha), tools, shovel, saw, ax, jack, etc., etc., .... CAN'T be too prepared, in my mind. Can't wait to take even a day cruise up to Big Rock Creek, Rob.... I think you'll be impressed for something in our backyard, ya know?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
looks like you got some relax time in chef. After work, the 22re, and life's other hassles i think you were due for some r&r glad to see it went well and nice pics.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Hey Mouse! How's the Newlywed-Yotatechie!?!?!? lol....

Good to hear from ya...

YESSSSS! I really needed that! It was SO overdue, but thankfully, IT HAPPENED, .... s'all that matters. I had to put it off for a few months, but it was WELL worth it. The thing ran SO DANG WELL, with TONS more power, etc. Most importantly, it got me where I was wanting to go,....my favorite place, THE SIERRA'S! I love the Sequoias and North American Fork as well... but just something SO MAJESTIC about the Sierras. Plus, I LOVE hot springs... especially Keough and Hot Creek-Mammoth! Great people in those small towns, too. Big Pine is just REALLY cool people.... very nice to City Folk...(especially if you're a Wilderness Boy at heart, lol.)

Thanks for the 'nice pics' comment. I usually get MANY more...but I was just too into CHILLAX'N! LOL
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome pics man..I'd have to say Im quite jealous myself lol..your truck looks Great!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks JDS,

BTW, how's that blue beast treatin ya? Really like that color!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 AM

very neat place it is so different on this side of the country
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Yeah Mike,

It's the WIDEEEEEE open spaces, surrounded by thick forest and the tallest mountains in the Continental US....it just blows peoples minds the first time they come with me. Plus, it gets like 100+ degrees in the summer, but almost NO humidity.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM

I guess your runner is running good now ?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Mike, ...you didn't read back? lol....

yeah, the CAM from Engnbldr pretty much solved most of my problem. I still have a mileage issue with a TINY miss.... and I think that's something to do with either Sensor, EFI or wiring related. It's running REALLY strong and CLEARLY has more power with the new CAM(261), especially on hills. I like the 261 because it's not such a limited duration. It pretty much flies off the line a bit more and through the range up to around 4500rpm as well. So, on hills, instead of being stuck at 45-50 in the slow lane... I'm doing 65mph up most of the notorious passes in CA., NO problems.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 AM

sounds a lot better than my 3.0
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Maybe your 3.0 is tired? You seem like a thorough person... so I wouldn't think it's neglected. My buddy's 3.0 is pretty peppy to me. He didn't do any mods, really, and it is rebuilt, but it's not all beefed up... It even flies up the hill behind my house pretty well, so I just wonder if you maybe have an issue with getting the full potential out of her, Mike?

By the way, my comments on the highway hills that are notorious.... that performance was with a FULL LOAD OF GEAR, several hundred pounds, including the Hitch Carrier... So I would imagine it would do even better with just a suitcase and cooler for a weekend in the mountains at an INN or something?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Hey Guys,

Just curious if some peeps would throw some ideas my way, once again.....

I've tired of 'tolerating' a couple of inoperable things.... Would LOVE some ideas and info as to how to 'check/verify/fix' said items.

1.) My Heater is not working. I've posted on a relative thread, and I'm hoping for a response.... Till then, I just figured, "WHY NOT make my troubleshooting thread even more useful, regarding 'MORE ITEMS' to restore", eh?lol.... Someone said it's probably my heater control valve and a lil bit clogged core(it's working, the ''heater''..just not well at all. Doesn't get ''hot'' anymore, just warm). Thook told me of an RV Solution that I'm waiting to hear from him on, regarding the results he obtained...>??? lol.

2.) My AC!!! I'd like to fix it while it's still 90*degress in Los Angeles! lol.... I have a full OE Kit for every seal, etc., from NAPA... Just curious if anyone has a good site for doing "MOST" of it(save removing the dash, etc.). It was filled with Freon and worked for around 2 years, then it sat 3 more years for the most part(3000 miles a year or so), and when I went to use it again....NO COOL AIR, AT ALL! I have access to R12 and all the seals, etc.... Just need some guidance?

3.) My Horns aren't working any more. I have some aftermarket(PO) Air Horns, they sounded like a train, to be honest. PPL love em, ...but maybe it's not the horns at all. Guess I'll try some direct power to them and go from there. Probably yet another issue with my steering wheel/column, eh? lol.

4.) MY STUPID WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID MOTOR isn't engaging. That's probably due to the fact that my button on the steering wheel-mounted arm(the button on the end) is depressed and wont pop back out. HOW can I test the Windshield fluid motor? I have a Haynes and you guys KNOW that I'll do my own research...but I just can't seem to find the proper method to test/verify/replace or rewire or whateverrrrr is needed, to fix it.

THANKS, GUYS, in advance!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Chef!

I saw a thread recently here where a guy's heater wasn't working and he flushed the coolant system and BAM! it worked...something about air in there screwing it up....

my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Hmmmm, could be, having changed the fluid like 4 times now since before and after the build, I guess it's possible. However, I think it was not getting hot even before I replaced the radiator or added/changed the fluid or anything. I guess I'll try reaming/cleaning solution treatment on it.... I hate to lose a bunch of fluid again, any good way to do that????

PS> THANKS PHIL! Always good to hear from ya.... Just change that ID pic...I keep having this dream that I wake up and your standing there, sinister smile, with that rubber mallet in your hand! hahaha... jkjk. I guess it's less scary than the grinder pic! lolol.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll switch to my "machete" avatar for you soon.....

How do you lose fluid when draining it? I let it go into a bucket and then refill with it. I have a T pipe in my heater line in the engine bay and one of those cheapo flush ktis, where I drain, hook up hose, insert "spray tube" into neck of radiator, and let her rip with the hose till it's totall clear.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Well, I've pretty much flushed everything else and the motor is almost brand new, ya know? So, only the core might be nasty. Also, I too have a gray cap(says prestone on it, lol) where I've used it to flush out everything after replacing the cam, draining and YES, I refilled with the perfectly clean 50/50 I had in there. Just a hint, ...don't use colored buckets(you know, the cheap kind for cleaning the kitchen)...it began to dissolve the bucket coating or whatever it was and I had gray metallic streaks running through it like green/gray marble, lol.(didn't reuse that stuff, that was a while back).

So, I just want to find out "Should I open both ends of the heater core and valve and cap off the rest and then fill it with some solution, let it sit for 24hrs or so, then flush it out till it runs clear and put it all back together? And, anyone know what that solution is that is best for the cores? Thook? lol.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 PM

i would check you butterfly valve.. make sure your valve is opening alt the way when use control it..

i would also pop the lines off the heater core lines and see how the flow of a garden hose will flow in and of just the heater core.. if you got good flow i would probelly just check your water pump to make sure its pumping correctly...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey 90! How are ya?

Yeah, I'll try that, good idea. The water pump? Brand new Aisin....1200 miles on it. GREAT circulation, and NO overheating, not even on the Cahon pass with hundreds of pounds of gear and 100*F weather! lol...

Pretty sure it's either the Core or Control Valve or a screwed up heater hose line in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed