86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it sound like a bunch of dentures.. chomping
Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 AM

wow chef I am not sure I would know what to do or try !
Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mfwimg82
I know what I would do:

followed shortly by this:

Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
Who are asking this? Me? If so, does what sound like that? My twig and berries in the freezing cold? It's not winter, yet, so not worried about that right now?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Here's an interesting tid bit for you......

Yesterday evening, I finally got around to inspecting my valve adjustment, changing oil, filters, thermostat, and greasing the drivetrain and front end. It's been almost 8k miles since I rebuilt, so the valvetrain was overdue for checking. All but one valve was overly tight.....#3 intake. Not by much, but enough I couldn't get the feeler guage in. I'd set them to 7 and 11 hot after the first 500mi's or so. 8 and 12, initially. 7 and 11 just made them quiter. Anyway, guess what? I'm not surprised by this, but I thought it might interest you to know, by example, that my cold idle is higher and steadier and of full duration until the engine has warmed. Telling, for you, no? Telling me for, too, because it means my IACV is functioning better than I'd thought. Yay for me!!!!

Took me about 20 min's to get the valves done, but #3 or #4 intake is making more noise than I'd like. So, next week I'm going to see about smoothing that out and redo them.

Oh, and I looked over Toyospearo's 1st p'up renovation thread. Inspiring! I'm getting a welder and patching my '86 up. Easier than swapping an entire powertrain and everything else under the hood. Plus, I'll have a welder to whatever with my soft top frame I'd like.

Anyway, later........
Sweet! That's interesting that, after adjusting the valves, the IACV was able to effect the idle up MORE... Guess it makes sense, that it might be related, since you've freed up some AIR PASSAGE! lol. Glad to hear you were inspired, HE DOES NICE work... you really need to see his Flatbed, Matthew... INCREDIBLY nice!

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
Hahaha,.... eh? Matthews Valves? lol.

Hey Mike, ....... ME EITHER, lol... I'll figure it out, especially with some help from a couple YT's! BTW, .... the inspection of the valves with a mild adjustment, then start up and check,,..... that's first. Then Pull the cam and have it inspected on a rolling micrometer, etc., checking for lobe rounding and duration, etc. Maybe it was spun for a 87 Chevette, eh? lol. Either way, IT WILL get solved!

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I know what I would do:

followed shortly by this:

Heyyyyy, lol. C'mon now, don't give up on ole ruby or ole Chef just yet,..... 'STAY AWAY WITH THAT MINI SLEDGE, XXXTREME!' HAHAHHA. Jk, I know what you mean... I just look at it like, well, it's a really good learning experience. I mean, if I can nearly stump 4 Guru's, learn as much as I have since May, .... and not smash the thing in like a can,.... or sell it?...Well, then s'all good, eh? lol. But I HEAR YA! Been times when I've thought.... WOT THE SMECKLE? LOL.

Who are asking this? Me? If so, does what sound like that? My twig and berries in the freezing cold? It's not winter, yet, so not worried about that right now?
Oh goodness, lol... "My rod n tackle, my twig and berries, my who's your uncle and the cousins?" lol.... Always reminds me of Austin Powers, lol.

Hope you get it all snugged up and happy, quick, Matthew! Best wishes!

Thanks, guys, it really helps to have someone tossing in knowledge, and even more so on the 'banter' side, at times, seriously, hahaha. Plenty of threads on here that seem heavy traffic, which are mostly 'HEY, my dog bit my big toe off, hahaha".... which is great, too.... I would love to be primarily jumping in on the shenanigans in those.... but THIS GREMLIN MUST FIRST DIE! lol. Heck, if it ends up helping a few people in the end, ...THAT makes me fully accept a short period of drama... it's certainly helping me, ... I've learned quite a bit, and for that, I'M GRATEFUL! lol.

L8r T8rs, ....

Off at 10:30am to try and help out a fellow Yotatechie! Gonna be fun!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-28-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Then Sunday, Andy, my original Yotatech Visitor, will be back over to help me tear off the cover, dig in and see what we find. I think it's time for a valve adjustment, anyhow, at 500+ miles, eh? So WHY NOT, ..fo sho! THANKS, ANDY! Big time gratitude, brotha! lol. I'll keep ya'all updated... should get interesting.

Mark
Good luck on getting something figured out. Nice to see Yotatechies working together. I have some family out your way, If you are still having any problems next time I'm out there then I'll be glad to come by & kick your tires.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Good luck on getting something figured out. Nice to see Yotatechies working together. I have some family out your way, If you are still having any problems next time I'm out there then I'll be glad to come by & kick your tires.
SUUUUWEEEEEEEET! LOL. That would be cool, Rob! Heck, as long as it's not torn apart when you do, I could show you some pretty great spots just 20 Minutes from Downtown LA! lol. Anyway, thanks man, that's very nice. I've been helped 4 times, by 2 different YT's.... so I DEFINITELY can't leave this other dude hanging if I can help it. All I can do is my best and see if it helps. I've helped over the phone already, so I think I can, hahaha.

Take care, Rob,

Mark
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah Chef, I'll get it straightened out. I always consider the first adjustment more of an intial one, anyway. Then, I drive it around to see if I'm happy with it. I usually wind up doing it twice, atleast.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Yeah Chef, I'll get it straightened out. I always consider the first adjustment more of an intial one, anyway. Then, I drive it around to see if I'm happy with it. I usually wind up doing it twice, atleast.
I hear ya! Anyhow, there's ALWAYS something that's coming up on needing 'adjustment' in a 23 year old land barge-mini like these, lol. It's usually an avalanche, from what I've personally found. Goes fine for YEARS, that's why I've mentioned, "I, for one, can say that I've taken their reliability for granted, to some extent", lol.... Wound up having to learn in 3 months what I could have over 16+ Years, hahaha. They just never broke down, ya know? Guess I found the one that did, hahahaha.

Have a great day at work, Bud!

Mark
Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 AM

PS> I think I must take that back, partially.... Why? Because I think my METALS PIMP 'finally gave up' more than my girl here, Ruby did! lol.... Seriously... I wish you could be closer so we could slang wrenches a bit, Matthew... S'all gonna be worth it though, in regards to 'all this time', hahaha. I figure, "What's a couple months in comparison with 8 years, eh? Ok, 1/32nd, ...but that's besides the point! hahaha.

L8r Brudda
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Wow, EDIT, ... it double posted, all by itself, ...very strange. Sorry! FILLER, FILLER, FILLER.... yadda yadda...

K, bubye!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM

maybe this could help or send you in right direction of a search about valve timing ect
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
good link mfwimg82. gonna have to do this with mine in addition to a compression check. to see how well my 6000 mile engine is doing.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out!

'X', ..... I hear ya, .... bout time to really dig in and do the last adjustment 'before you just go-go-go', hahaha. I'm pretty sure it's time I reset mine, anyhow... but if we find ANYTHING strange with it set at different lashes.... and nothings bent or 'CLEARLY' sticking violently? I guess maybe the cam is a chunkadoodie! lol.

Anyway, guys, I'm a lil wiped, ... was with a Yotatechie, Rob2tech, today, and was working on his 4Runner(Pretty much the same truck as mine, but Silver). We're pretty close to cranking it over. Ran into a few lengthy hiccups looking for parts like banjo-crush-washers, trying to rig up a couple things... soldered up a new Knock sensor shielded wiring set from an extra harness he had..... Got the IACV in, Timing cover Coolant pipes, some other wiring issues done, plenum pretty much on and CSI in(banjo washer was gone---on the damper too---fuel line to CSI was REALLY out of whack,...that's looking good and the CSI is plug and play now.. Hmmm, quite a few other things, including adjusting the TPS(his was trickiest I've adjusted... but I think it's good now).... Routed some vacuum lines, hooked up pretty much all harness connections... I think it's gonna be a nice rig, once he's done. REALLY nice guy! We did a few other things, maybe?.... but I'm just too tired and hungry to expound any more, lol... I'll be back with more once I figure out whatever we figure out.. tomorrow, on mine lol.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 AM

when is the chef going to have us all over for something to eat ?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 AM

Check your mass airflow connection, My cuzz had the same problem and what we did was disconnect the mass airflow sensor and took it apart and cleaned the connections. If you flip it over there should be two small phillips head screws, unscrew them and pull out the connector. Use super fine grit sand paper to scuff up the connections. And if that dosent work try getting a can of MAFS cleaner,(sold at napa) That might help?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 AM

when is the chef going to have us all over for something to eat ?
Hahahah...... Well, to be honest, I've thought about that, several times....(maybe a trek with good-onthetrail-eats, maybe just something around here, or at a Central CA. State Beach or maybe up in my favorite, 'THE SIERRAS'! lol.).... Something like that.... But I've just been so overwhelmed(Not overcome, lol) by splitting every spare minute between my truck and, ...... well, MY TRUCK, hahaha, that, I haven't been able to figure something like that out. I'd like to just meet up with a few yotatechies in the Mnts. for now..(I've met 3 now )... and Rob2tech thought about this, too...(having a Getaway with a few Yotatechies or otherwise). I'd like to get to the Pismo Jambo.... but I can't even plan that, a month ahead, hahaha. I know you're probably messin around, Mike, lol.... but I just figured I'd expound, cuz that's been on my mind.

Originally Posted by clintpetes815
Check your mass airflow connection, My cuzz had the same problem and what we did was disconnect the mass airflow sensor and took it apart and cleaned the connections. If you flip it over there should be two small phillips head screws, unscrew them and pull out the connector. Use super fine grit sand paper to scuff up the connections. And if that dosent work try getting a can of MAFS cleaner,(sold at napa) That might help?
Thanks a lot, Clint, for stopping in!

I'm PRETTY sure my AFM is ok.... It tested out A to Z on specs with a brand new Reman. I suppose if I banged on the connector end while multi-meter is reading, I might get a jump or something... I'll check that out, but I think it's good. You might not have been able to read back a lot, ...and I know, IT'S A LOT! lol... But, I've had 3 very respected Calif. 22re Guru's look at it, a couple Yotatech Guys(maybe not technically 'Guru's', but I'd say they qualify, from everything I've read over 4 months, lol) and one of them finally found what I've posted, I guess a page back. I have decent compression, but the vacuum gauge is jumping violently/rapidly, over an inch, at idle. I believe it even did it sporadically on some load(which would explain why no matter how lil stop and go and how much smooth grandma'ing I do, I'm getting such terrible mileage)... That led the last Guru who's had it on Propane, an advanced Ignition Timing Manipulation type trick and a few other techniques to come to the conclusion that it's 'CAM' related. However, Tod(engine builder dot com), while he doesn't disagree it's in the head, says, "STICKY VALVE!". It's still breaking in, at around 600 miles.... But I really don't see the missing, etc., getting anything but worse( The idle down thing is back as well, when first warming it up, going into closed loop)...along with the idle dropping under voltage load(???)lol... (I think both of those 2 latter issues have nothing to do with whatever valve train/cam issue I might have.

So, needless to say, I've been digging through this thing, exhaustively, several times, save nothing but the 'CHASSIS ELECTRICAL'(That will be coming up, just to find out why my idle drops when I put higher voltage load on it--just headlights and brake does it... With the high beams? WOW, really drops the idle at idle)

PS> While working on Rob2Tech 's Truck, at a shop in Wilmington, CA, a guy was having his car Dyno'd, and walked over and said, "HEY, you're on Yotatech?"... He saw my sticker! ... And I said "YESSSS", .... he told me his name was Kevin444? I'ma look him up, but anyway, it was such a trip, what a coincidence, eh? hahaha.

Hoping my buddy comes by to help me figure out this valve train thing, today... but if not, s'all good.... He's helped me so much, already, I figure I'll just keep 'giving it forward' and go help Rob2Tech again! Was a lotta fun, working on someone else' truck for a change! hahahah.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Well, BIG DAY:

Buddy Andy stopped by, and we had some Coffee, Truffles, Windmill Ginger Almond Cookies, shot the shizzle, and then get to the truck before 11am? He basically needed to familiarize himself with the miss/hiccup, see how it was behaving at initial closed loop entry, then............

1. We pulled the cover, checked the valve lash(it was a lil off again, nothing MAJOR, ...couple, however, were a bit too loose(1-2 thousandths). Inspected the CAM as best as possible with it still in the truck, took quite a few pics, inspected the valve stems/seals/guides/snap rings/keepers/springs... and I agree with what he thought, from what we could see.... "The valve train looks fine". Of course there could be some anomalies that just can't be seen with the naked eye... but all the lifters/adjuster screws seemed to be making contact straight on., etc.

2. THE CAM, however, did not look, well.... let's just say, again, "it's too hard to tell TOOOOO MUCH from where it's sitting", but we noticed some seriously questionable anomalies. For one, there was different wearing on some of the lobes, which could be normal, but there is almost NO polish to the lobes... Not sure that's really normal after only 500 miles. Also, some edges of the cam surfaces/adjacent to the lobes, had pretty substantial chips in them, pitting and even what looked like a couple small hairline cracks(again, pretty hard to see tooooooo much while it's in, but I HAVE PICS, so you can see lolol)

3. I'm really not happy that the guy used the same CAM. Which I KNOW is not totally abnormal... but seeing what I can see, with my naked eye, let ALONE what might be more obvious under simultaneous micrometer-lobe duration-inspection, etc... I'm really a bit disappointed. Especially considering he came so recommended by MANY top mechanics, and, well, particularly from a friend who SWORE by him.(I KNOW, I know... and 'STUFF HAPPENS', yadda yadda, I hear ya, lol).

Keep in mind, all the lifters, valve train, keepers/bearing journals are all new.... and there is NO metallic flaking(other than a TINY bit we found from the cam edge)..but no 'shavings or dust', ya know? Andy was pretty stumped, as everyone else seems to be, but he repeated the words, "yeah,..... CAMMMMMMMM", around 400 times, hahaha. Jk, we were messing around, but he WAS serious, and considering upon a pretty good visual inspection of the valve train, since we're not seeing anything really 'OFF'... he really feels that the cam is the culprit. I agree, from just what I've seen.(As he said, and I also agree... that's pretty much speculation until I get the cam out and THOROUGHLY inspected... But IT REALLY seems that way, ....I'll elaborate...>>> )

4. We decided to mess with the timing, again, like we'd done the first time he came over, couple months ago. We set it to 14 degrees or so, and it not only didn't ping on a SERIOUS hill.... it didn't lose ANY power, didn't "POP" in the exhaust, no backfiring or misfiring, ... and it seemed to run a LOT smoother. ALSO IMPORTANT; As we listened, carefully, we found, 1. NO valve train noise, even at 14* BTDC.... and 2. the 'HICCUP' seemed to become FAR more repetitious! In other words, it seemed to imitate what you would find in a ''CAM'D" Big block or something, "Chuchuga-chuchuga-chuchuga-chuchuga-chu-chu-chuchuga-chuchuga"..... Sorry for the lame typed out sound fx, ....but hopefully you get my point???

I will post the pics from the adventure today, and I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INPUT YOU GUYS HAVE, ..any, however pointless you might feel it is. At this point, I'm just going to have to tear off the rockers, AT LEAST, if I want to start to get to the bottom of this. SO, .... PLEASE SHARE? Thanks............

Pics in next post........

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, ...THANK YOU, ANDY.. once again you've selflessly given a big chunk of you time to chase a seemingly AMAZING gremlin with me! lol. THANKS!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Yoiked the Cover(noticed NO real discoloration-like from hot spots, etc.)

The rest are pics of the Valves, on different angles during duration, etc.... so the angled approach is normal,...and the adjustment screws/push pins seemed to ride DEAD center of all the valve stem heads.......The pics are mixed up, but also notice the CAM surface, .....could that be normal, after a 'solid' RV grind and only 500-600 miles?>>>

That's it for now, I'm really hoping some 'Guru's' will stop in and lend some feedback or input... but at this point, I just can't bear to leave that CAM in there. I at least want to have another shop check it out(have a great one in mind, VERY solid guy that I KNOW will inspect it to the tee!). I ACTUALLY PRAY that it's a mess... AT LEAST I WILL BE CLOSER TO PUTTING THIS TO REST!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 AM

what did you lash, too intake and exhuast... when i lashed mine per hyanes manual is said i think 8 and 11.. i see alot of guys go 7 and 10 if i can remember..

thats a clean engine.. there shouldnt be any problems in there..

so was there all new compents used except the cam when it was rebuilt.. such as valve springs...

i cant rememeber did you say the cam was re,ground...

If so.. was there any Cam Break IN..

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed