Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure already mine doesn't, but I'll check just the same.....just for you, senior!

Dirt and sweat kinkiness may not be regionally or culturally exclusive, but it helps living in an area where it's widely accepted. Then again, there are the college froo-froo girls that find body odor rather repugnant. But, that's okayl.......I don't really care for perfume!!! Hahaha! Oh, I remember this one girl........whooops!........right, this is a public forum.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
I'm 99.9% sure already mine doesn't, but I'll check just the same.....just for you, senior!

Dirt and sweat kinkiness may not be regionally or culturally exclusive, but it helps living in an area where it's widely accepted. Then again, there are the college froo-froo girls that find body odor rather repugnant. But, that's okayl.......I don't really care for perfume!!! Hahaha! Oh, I remember this one girl........whooops!........right, this is a public forum.
I know what you mean about the kind of girls that are attracted to smelly men, we have quite a few of them in Texas too. I love a girl that knows what tool I am asking her to pass me.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM

My wife is from Texas....... Hurray for me!!!!!!!!! And, she used to work on cars in a bonafied shop. Hurray for me, again!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, and, she thinks my '86 is sexy!

Hurray for me, hurray for me, hurray for me, hurray for me, hurray.......oh, I could go on. But, I'll save the jubilant energy for "other things". Like working on my 4rnr.....m'yeah.

Carry on, lads........
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Rob,

It's a Reman., supposedly with Denso Innards, lifetime guarantee, from Napa. The thing is, I'm reading 14.6 at the ECU Wiring all day. However, I'd like to know how to do a 'load test'. I guess I can do that right at the battery with a few things on. I tried the load/idle test on the CRV,... .EVERYTHING on, high beams, yadda yadda yaddaaaaa, ...nothing, no change in idle. A guy I know who's quite knowledgeable with these says if it was a bad short like what would cause that, it would be blowing fuses and such. But, he said maybe some ground somewhere is just not very good.

I don't know, guys. Unless I find some method of investigating this, soon, ..I'll have to just deal with it until I can find time to take it in to that shop, "Japanese Trucks Only"... Recommended by a buddy who gave me the name of the specific guy to talk to. He's a Toyota Guru. It's not that I would not want to take it in, ....just that I've not really had time to or a ride home from there. I'll work on it if I can't find something soon.

OH, and 'YES, HOORAY FOR YOU, MATTHEW!' Hahhaa.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Saved you a serving, Matthew! I'll also get a pic of Dessert. YUM! ........

Shrimp Mazatlan(just something I've had down there, lol). VERY fresh prawns served in a Garden Fresh Citrus and Peppers Sauce with other fresh veggies, bell peppers, Vidalia Onions and Tomatoes. Served with Roasted Yukon Gold Taters(Latin Rub Crusted) and topped everything with some REALLY good Aged Hard Sheep's Milk Cheese. I also made some Garlic Naan for it.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Here ya go, Matthew... didn't want you to think you'd go without dessert! hahaha.......

Have a nice night, guys. .... Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-11-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Need advice on something.... TIRES! I was going to start a thread, and I thought.....NAHHHH, don't wanna start another thread. Not that many read this anymore(I don't think, haha)... But why not give it a shot, eh?

Thing is that I've noticed some weird cracking, and they drive ok(lil noisy, tiny bit of wabble....they have 100k on them, so no wonder, but anywayyyy).... but I wonder if this is dangerous with this tire, the 31x10.50x15 BFG AT/KO??? ...........

I know, I could probably drive them till they're nearly bald..... These go for ages. But, am I being paranoid in thinking this could just one day come apart, and especially planning a longer trip.... what would you do, I guess I'm asking? I can get tires, but I can't seem to make up my mind as to whether to get the TreadWright Guard Dog MT's or the BFG AT's/MT's... The latter being around 800$ installed, the AT's being around 740$ installed and the Treadwrights like Cougar has for 540$, delivered to my bud's shop, then installed(He can't install them for free, unless I buy them from him---he's got a partner who's a stinge, lol). Plus, I owe him the work, he's done me solids like rotating, etc., for free, 3 times.

So:

1. Treadwright Guard Dog MT's - 31x10.50x15's = 540$ total

2. BFG AT's - 31x10.50x15's.......................... = 720$ total (Tax, installed, the works)

3. BFG MT''s - 31x10.50x15's......................... = 800$ total "

4. BFG AT's - 33x10.50x15's ........................ = 745$ total "

PS> Important foot note... "My Boss is paying for them, ....but I WILL NOT take advantage, and I'd like to know what my Yotatech friends think, honestly."
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go with the treadwrights!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Hey Cougar, hahaha. I knew you'd say that, lol. Yeah, I have NOTHING against them....neither am I prejudice for them, ya know? Just trying to make another LONG TERM consequence decision here, hahaha.

On the pics, ...that look BAD or just like normal dry rot from sitting too much a times and armor all? lol. Someone told me 'DO NOT use Armor All', ever.. only use tire dressing if you must. He's a tire salesmen, and he showed me the bulletin he gets every year warning them and then for them to warn others..."don't use this" HAHAHA.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats crazy the armor all thing, they look cracked from age maybe, not too sure. either tires will be good.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Yeah, they're 8 years old. DANG, it's amazing, the first 60K miles were done in the first couple years! hahaha. Then, I mellowed out driving it, because I use the Bosses CRV for 'round town' stuff alot. Now, of course, I'm driving mine a lot more. ..SOOOOOOOO, hahaha. Just want to make sure I make the most practical and logical choice.... It's not like they're air-valve stem caps for 20$ ya know? hahaha.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Saw these on Craigslist, ...whatcha think? lol...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...887197625.html

I'll be RIGHT OVER THERE tomorrow.... in the San Fernando Valley that is. Anyway, for 400$(or whatever I can get him down to!), with the rims I like and 70% tread?....whatcha think? I mean, I could get some MT's for those wheels and then put the Bridgestones on my stock wheels(I'd have to pay for these, but I could still get the new tires or treadwrights from the boss.)Hmmmmm.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-12-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
After reading through some of this and reading about your voltage drop problem, replace the wire that comes off the positive battery terminal and goes into the fuse box with some 6 gauge wire and that should help with the voltage drop your having, the stock wire is to small and is known for breaking and causing problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Yeah, Myyota...how did you get the 6Guage in that fastened crimp that's in that box? I had one heck of a time trying to get that plate out. It wouldn't cooperate and the whole plate wanted to turn as I tried to loosen the one nut, on the left. Don't want to break anything. Philbert and I were talking about this, "How are people putting 6G in there???"
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM

For now, Myyota, I have a VERY good connection, even though it's 10G wire. I cleaned it all up and the grounds... doesn't it sound like something else could be causing this? I've never heard of anyone having this issue, with the stock original wiring or not.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I actually used a piece of 4 gauge wire to replace the stock wire, i made my own replacement with heave duty ring terminals soldered and shrink wrapped, then i put the end that went into the fuse box in a vice and slightly flattened it a little, and its fits in the fuse box with no problems at all.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Rob,

It's a Reman., supposedly with Denso Innards, lifetime guarantee, from Napa. The thing is, I'm reading 14.6 at the ECU Wiring all day. However, I'd like to know how to do a 'load test'. I guess I can do that right at the battery with a few things on. I tried the load/idle test on the CRV,... .EVERYTHING on, high beams, yadda yadda yaddaaaaa, ...nothing, no change in idle. A guy I know who's quite knowledgeable with these says if it was a bad short like what would cause that, it would be blowing fuses and such. But, he said maybe some ground somewhere is just not very good.

I don't know, guys. Unless I find some method of investigating this, soon, ..I'll have to just deal with it until I can find time to take it in to that shop, "Japanese Trucks Only"... Recommended by a buddy who gave me the name of the specific guy to talk to. He's a Toyota Guru. It's not that I would not want to take it in, ....just that I've not really had time to or a ride home from there. I'll work on it if I can't find something soon.

OH, and 'YES, HOORAY FOR YOU, MATTHEW!' Hahhaa.
Okaaay, Mark...... I've not given up nor have I been ignoring your desire for an asap answer. I've just has to let the answer/s come and do my thing here.

So! You have a bad or weak ground in the harness. That's all it can be. Somewhere there's a connection that's poor. Like the knowledgeable guy said (and, timely you should post that), it couldn't be a short or something would've blown or caught on fire by now. As far as tracking it down, I'm not sure on the best way to do that just yet. As well, I don't have time to explain this conclusion at the moment, but I will atleast by this weekend.

Oh man....thanks for the goody pics!! But, Mark, truly......if you're gonna post food like that you will need to also supply a bib, napkins, and Windex. Things are gonna get messy! Monitor included........
Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id say go buy those one on craigslist then let THE BOSS pay for the new ones, i love having 2 sets of tires (mud mud then mud street) i wish my boss said hey chris im gonna buy you some tires whicj ones you want????????

Last edited by myyota85; 08-13-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Okaaay, Mark...... I've not given up nor have I been ignoring your desire for an asap answer. I've just has to let the answer/s come and do my thing here.

So! You have a bad or weak ground in the harness. That's all it can be. Somewhere there's a connection that's poor. Like the knowledgeable guy said (and, timely you should post that), it couldn't be a short or something would've blown or caught on fire by now. As far as tracking it down, I'm not sure on the best way to do that just yet. As well, I don't have time to explain this conclusion at the moment, but I will atleast by this weekend.

Oh man....thanks for the goody pics!! But, Mark, truly......if you're gonna post food like that you will need to also supply a bib, napkins, and Windex. Things are gonna get messy! Monitor included........
Hahahahah! Funny, ...and, thanks, Matthew. I'm not in a huge hurry. Of course I'd like to solve it asap...but I understand that, in order to do it w/out bringing it in to someone else.... you have to afford people the time to help out when they can..AND I'M GRATEFUL, ...no worries! lol. TTYSOON!

Originally Posted by myyota85
id say go buy those one on craigslist then let THE BOSS pay for the new ones, i love having 2 sets of tires (mud mud then mud street) i wish my boss said hey chris im gonna buy you some tires whicj ones you want????????
Well, I drive with loads of food and for parties for them all the time, and, I guess they figure a few hundred to do the ethical/fair business-minded thing, ....it's worth it lol.

I'm off to work at the Luxe(google it, lol) today, so I'll be back around 5, give or take the 405 Traffic(google it, you'll be blown away with the video of 4pm Traffic on a friday! hahahhaa)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

PS> The craigslist tires guy isn't available till 4:30 or 5, and doesn't seem worried that he'll sell them. But, that's tricky, as I'll have my client with me, for her party at the Luxe.... NOT sure that's a good idea to keep her waiting around a couple more hours to go on a tire inspection...??? hahahah

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed