Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like your rectfire in your alternator are starting to go bad..

u maybe also have a bad voltage reg..

with all that jumping around..
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm. Well, anything is possible, but it's a brand new Alternator that is testing at the ECU with 14.6V, steady. The Alternator I replaced was ok, but had dropped a tiny bit in value after being 23 years old and never having been changed. So, I swapped them out and actually read a lil better voltage at the ECU and lighter hole, etc., when just testing the Battery(What I mean is, the lighter hole was only reading 11.5 before, and wouldn't power my inverter unless I had the truck running... Now reads 12.25, every day, for days.).

HOWEVER, .....what I did find, that may or may not have something to do with my issues?

1. I noticed when fishing around by the stereo wiring that I had a CB connector under there, so I tracked it back to the EFI Fuse panel area. It's running up the cab-cage behind the driver door to the roof for a CB antenna that was removed. I'm assuming that's the antenna wiring(it has a lil rounded connector with a screw-retro housing). However, while pulling back the carpet I noticed that the padding underneath was fairly WET! In fact, that rubber-like padding below the carpet is completely saturated(not dripping, just that I think it was trapped in there from being under the carpet. I believe that moisture was coming from the leaking Clutch Master, as it's right above that area and it was leaking pretty badly before I replaced it and the slave when doing the clutch. When pulling back the padding, the paint on the floor board just wipes off like butter, it's completely eaten away and wipes away effortlessly.

HOWEVER 2: lol.... I'm NOT certain that it's not some water as well that had dripped into there. My windshield stripping was pretty bad and when I had my windshield replaced they showed me some pretty decent corrosion. I would think that the water, if any, from a year ago or so when replacing the windshield would have evaporated by now... but the brake fluid? I guess not. And, it is corrosive, correct? I haven't taken out the panel where the EFI fuse goes and other breakers, but it seems as though that area does not have the padding beneath it and is a lil left of where the clutch master might have leaked. The water, if it had been leaking in there, well, it could have gotten into that stuff, i suppose. Are the signal relays and such in that area?

Also, I'd like to leave my driver door light connected and get rid of the buzzer. It seems fairly easily accessible, ...but appears to be attached to an arm up in there. Is there an easy way to remove that thing on my 87? Just unplug it and yoink it out or is there a safe-method or retaining trick they used at the factory I need to know?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM

Firstly, I removed the buzzer. PIECE OF CAKE! Thanks for the info, Yotaholic and Thook! It has a slide housing for this arm that's mounted up in the dash. Slide it off that, turn it over and pull out the connector...NO MORE BUZZER! Ahhhhhhhhh! lol.

Next, I took some pics of the moisture in right upper floor board, and upon further inspection, I can't be sureeeeee, but it appears that there is only one thing it might have been dripping on/into. First I'll post that connector, then some other pics of the wet floor-padding and fuse panel, where it appears to be dry and free of corrosion(until I can pull the panel and really inspect it. Also, the breakers seemed to be free of corrosion, themselves, as well as the female connections in the panel........Those are the furthest right items that would more likely be effected by the dripping brake fluid or water from a leaking windshield...........

Below, in this pic, is the wire that was tucked up in under the stereo...........

Whatcha guys think? Please, I really need some guidance as to what to do/pull/check/meter next.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM

whats that orange box next to the fuse panel, mine doesnt have one? the tires are great so far. gona go up to courtwright on friday night for a overnight fishing trip with my son and a friend from church that has a toyota truck too. going to go on the dusy ershim to the back side of the lake, should be fun, hope to do a little wheelin back there. I will get some pics.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM

maybe pull that big connector apart and clean it with electric cleaner and put some dielectric grease in there and reconnect.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
whats that orange box next to the fuse panel, mine doesnt have one? the tires are great so far. gona go up to courtwright on friday night for a overnight fishing trip with my son and a friend from church that has a toyota truck too. going to go on the dusy ershim to the back side of the lake, should be fun, hope to do a little wheelin back there. I will get some pics.
NIIIIIIIIIICE! I'm planning a trip myself, but it'll be solo at least half of the time, so I'll have to be a lil cautious, lol. Nahhhhh, lol. Jk, I will. I'll probably just do the Big Rock Creek for a few days, just to be safe, then go again in the end of August. I'll get pics this time, too. I have plenty of Video on VHS Minis, but don't have the adapter or software to convert them yet. Really want to though, some BEAUTIFUL scenery!

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
maybe pull that big connector apart and clean it with electric cleaner and put some dielectric grease in there and reconnect.
Yeah, I will. The more I look at that stuff, the more it seems to be ok, as far as the contacts, etc. But, that doesn't mean I'm without some corrosion or something I can't see yet. To be honest, I'D RATHER it be that than taking the whole intake down again.... but whatcha gonna do, eh? lol.

Thanks for the input, Cougar.... glad you're gonna have a nice trip, man!

Mark

PS> The Orange Box is a Cruise Control Module, I believe... not positive. I'll look it up. It says "5 Spd Manual Transmission" on it.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You know, Chef, chassis electricals aren't my area of knowledge. I'm going to have look at some diagrams and probably my own vehicle to have some reference for troubleshooting. Nothing looks obvious in the way of concern from your pics, though.

Try this experiment; see what happens to the idle when you press on the switch the brake linkage/pedal activates for the rear lights.

And, FWIW, I'm leaning towards a way of hopefully disconnecting the entire chassis electrical system to take it out of the picture, then see if that has any effect on your idle. This may not tell much, but hypothetically speaking, if it does affect things positively, you'd know if was related and have more of a specific area to troubleshoot.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by thook
You know, Chef, chassis electricals aren't my area of knowledge. I'm going to have look at some diagrams and probably my own vehicle to have some reference for troubleshooting. Nothing looks obvious in the way of concern from your pics, though.

Yeah, when really looking in there, I though the same thing. Unless I find some major corrosion when disconnecting that larger wire cluster at the connector.... I can't really see any big issues there. Certainly nothing that would cause such a drop in idle.

Try this experiment; see what happens to the idle when you press on the switch the brake linkage/pedal activates for the rear lights.

Yes, good idea. I will try that first thing. The brake depression seems to be the most dramatic, fairly equal to the combined load of the High beams and turn signal.

And, FWIW, I'm leaning towards a way of hopefully disconnecting the entire chassis electrical system to take it out of the picture, then see if that has any effect on your idle. This may not tell much, but hypothetically speaking, if it does affect things positively, you'd know if was related and have more of a specific area to troubleshoot.

Yeah, I remember you saying so. Thanks for investigating, either way! I was thinking there might be a way to test at the ECU for voltage to the injectors, or other related, crucial items. Not sure how I would go about that.... But I would assume that I could simply test at the No10 and No20 connectors against the E2 and watch the voltage as I apply the brake(after, of course, checking at the brake switch, itself, first) lights and signal.

I was already thrown off for a second by the absence of the infamous ''BUZZER'', hahaha. S'alllllllll good though! lol.

I was also thinking about this whole thing and, ...hmmmm; I can't assume this is the answer to my hiccup, too much. Why? Because when NONE of these items are switched on, it's STILL missing with the 'buhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-buh-buh-buhhhhhhhhhhhh' thingymadoer! lol. Sure, I guess if something in there is shorted, it could be effecting voltage to EFI components in any range... but I'm doubt it. Why? hahaha... Because when testing at the ECU when running, the voltage seemed to be ok at a couple of components that are tested like the Coolant Temp. Sensor. Hmmmmmmmm........??? Yeah, I'll have to think and investigate on that, further....not so sure of that theory, ...BUT IT SEEMS SOUND! hahaha.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, the fact the chassis electricals, when activated atleast, are having some kind of effect on the idle is odd. It shouldn't. That's 'bout all I can say right now, though.

And, yeah, nothing's conclusive, so you just have relax and let the guidance be there. You wanted to learn all about these things, right? I suppose this is a good way to do it....haha!

I've pm'd a friend who might be able to help in regards to chassis/EFI connections. Hopefully, we'll hear from him, soon. If not, I'll explore other avenues.

Today is the first of many days for hay hauling. We've got 8 round bales ordered and it's gonna take several trips to get it all home since I can only haul one at a time in my trailer. That's all the weight any of my 4rnrs can manage, anyway. Needless to say, it's going to be a dirty, sweaty week. Whew! Life in the country is pretty good, though. Cooled off last night with some iced lemonade spiked with Lemoncello. Ahhhhh.......so good!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Well, the fact the chassis electricals, when activated atleast, are having some kind of effect on the idle is odd. It shouldn't. That's 'bout all I can say right now, though.

And, yeah, nothing's conclusive, so you just have relax and let the guidance be there. You wanted to learn all about these things, right? I suppose this is a good way to do it....haha!

I've pm'd a friend who might be able to help in regards to chassis/EFI connections. Hopefully, we'll hear from him, soon. If not, I'll explore other avenues.

Today is the first of many days for hay hauling. We've got 8 round bales ordered and it's gonna take several trips to get it all home since I can only haul one at a time in my trailer. That's all the weight any of my 4rnrs can manage, anyway. Needless to say, it's going to be a dirty, sweaty week. Whew! Life in the country is pretty good, though. Cooled off last night with some iced lemonade spiked with Lemoncello. Ahhhhh.......so good!
Hahahha. I love your 'cap off's' at the end of your posts.

Yeah, of COURSE I am really enjoying learning this stuff,...you know that, fo sho! lol. I just get, well, 'LONGING'(for lack of a better word, lol) in regards to figuring things out. I'm not used to anything taking me out for this long....but then again, MOST THINGS DON'T HAVE 3,438 VARIABLES! hahaha. Ok, I exaggerated, lol. Bout 200? lol. Anyway, I'm looking forward to burying this gremlin, ..DEEP! lol.

I know it's only been leaking in the Driver side of the cab/back of rear firewall, because when working on the ECU, i've NEVER noticed any moisture, at all. To be honest, it doesn't feel like brake fluid, Matthew.... That concerns me, because, I now wonder what 'coolant' related Item could be leaking into my cab??? I've never buried it in water(not that deep, but definitely up to burying the gas tank/up to the collector to the original exhaust.... NEVER sitting though, just driving through. And, well, I'd think that would've dried by now, ya know? The heater core .....could it be leaking right there? I thought it was toward the center... ???

Thanks for asking your bud,...Hope he chimes in. Appreciate it!

Mark

PS> I serve Sparkling Muscato-Lemon- Bellini on the rocks with slices of Meyer Lemons off my tree out back, all the time in the summer. I mentioned the Santa Rosa Sugar Plum Bellini's not long ago.... "SIMPLY, THIRST SMASHING EXPLOSIONS OF FLAVOR, GOOD MAN!" they tell me, hahahahha.

PSS> Best wishes with the Hay, ...careful there, Bubba! lol.

DANGGGGGGGG, I NEED TO GET , FAST!(minus the companions until I get there, lol... I always make like 10 new friends) Think I will, this week some time. NO, in fact, YES, I WILL, ....I'm going to head out there and clean up/dust off my gear, assemble my hitch-carrier, go grab the cooler I've been dreaming about at BIG5, a 100qt., ....ON SALE FOR 59$!!! , load up my new CHAIR(FINALLY found the most comfortable second chair for camping--I have an Anti-Gravity chair, but not good for sitting up and such-- The new one has a Hard, Hinged table built on the side with cup holder and DOES NOT cut into the legs, ....Good padding, every accessory-pocket on the side...STOKED!:d:d:d...... Toyoholic sat in it.... it's SWEET! lol). I've been wanting to get a console from Pepboys that's on sale. Have to measure it out, ...they're REALLY nice, with cooler(9 cans) and 4 Power outlets) for 49$!! Hmmmm. lol OOPS, they're calling, time to feed the Peeps!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahahha. I love your 'cap off's' at the end of your posts.

Thanks, Mark. Jus' me bein' me.........

Yeah, of COURSE I am really enjoying learning this stuff,...you know that, fo sho! lol. I just get, well, 'LONGING'(for lack of a better word, lol) in regards to figuring things out. I'm not used to anything taking me out for this long....but then again, MOST THINGS DON'T HAVE 3,438 VARIABLES! hahaha. Ok, I exaggerated, lol. Bout 200? lol. Anyway, I'm looking forward to burying this gremlin, ..DEEP! lol.

Oh, aren't we all????? BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm just pulling yer leg, man. I had to throw that in there, ya know? Were it not for gremlins, we wouldn't need our trusty Ohm Sabers. And, what would life be without that? <<<<ehem>>>>> BORING!!!

I know it's only been leaking in the Driver side of the cab/back of rear firewall, because when working on the ECU, i've NEVER noticed any moisture, at all. To be honest, it doesn't feel like brake fluid, Matthew.... That concerns me, because, I now wonder what 'coolant' related Item could be leaking into my cab??? I've never buried it in water(not that deep, but definitely up to burying the gas tank/up to the collector to the original exhaust.... NEVER sitting though, just driving through. And, well, I'd think that would've dried by now, ya know? The heater core .....could it be leaking right there? I thought it was toward the center... ???

Trust me. If it were coolant leaking, you'd smell it. Particularly as warm as it is right now. When I had a leak in that area, it was the clutch MC. Been watching the fluid levels at all?

Thanks for asking your bud,...Hope he chimes in. Appreciate it!

Yeah, well so far he hasn't. But, he has a life, I would think. If nothing in the way of a reply occurs by tomorrow, I'll ask around some more.

Mark

PS> I serve Sparkling Muscato-Lemon- Bellini on the rocks with slices of Meyer Lemons off my tree out back, all the time in the summer. I mentioned the Santa Rosa Sugar Plum Bellini's not long ago.... "SIMPLY, THIRST SMASHING EXPLOSIONS OF FLAVOR, GOOD MAN!" they tell me, hahahahha.

You don't watch your orchards at night, do you?

PSS> Best wishes with the Hay, ...careful there, Bubba! lol.

Actually, I've had one of them suckers roll off the trailer almost over me. Fortunately, I have cat like reflexes. Ever seen "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"? You remember the girl catching the tea cup before it fell off the table? Yeah, those were really my hands!!!!

DANGGGGGGGG, I NEED TO GET , FAST!(minus the companions until I get there, lol... I always make like 10 new friends) Think I will, this week some time. NO, in fact, YES, I WILL, ....I'm going to head out there and clean up/dust off my gear, assemble my hitch-carrier, go grab the cooler I've been dreaming about at BIG5, a 100qt., ....ON SALE FOR 59$!!! , load up my new CHAIR(FINALLY found the most comfortable second chair for camping--I have an Anti-Gravity chair, but not good for sitting up and such-- The new one has a Hard, Hinged table built on the side with cup holder and DOES NOT cut into the legs, ....Good padding, every accessory-pocket on the side...STOKED!:d:d:d...... Toyoholic sat in it.... it's SWEET! lol). I've been wanting to get a console from Pepboys that's on sale. Have to measure it out, ...they're REALLY nice, with cooler(9 cans) and 4 Power outlets) for 49$!! Hmmmm. lol OOPS, they're calling, time to feed the Peeps!

'Bout time, chief. Get that cooler and then you'll have absolutely no excuse not to go! BTW, how long will you be gone? And, will there be anyone watching the orchards for you during this time? Just curious.....
(More obligatory text.......)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM

(More obligatory text.......)
Hahaha. I hear ya, ...... I'm working on it.

It ran really well today, minus the missing, ...but I noticed that, after driving around for a while, when I stop for any period of time, ...It idles at around 850. I set it down to 750, but that's a problem, see, ...cuz when I start it cold?....>Yeah, it'll idle down to around 650 after the initial warm up.

Best wishes on the Hay Bail'n! Bout the heaviest thing I have ever had land on me? A HORSE! hahaha. Not before taking off through Big Bear Mountains, ahead of everyone else in the group, around 45MPH, right through the highway and almost getting me killed by traffic! lol. My dad switched horses with me cuz I complained so much how slow mine was. The lead horse took off, .....and so did mine, after him like a bat outta.. Yeah. BIG TIME FREAKED ME OUT! hahaha. They chewed out my dad for half an hour and even threatened to call the cops, lol. Ok, well, Gotta ride my green, Llama-like creature outta here! Tahtah!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Obligatory text means I just typed some words that are required to make the post. You have to have some words written outside the the quote tags to submit the post. So, really they mean nothing else.

That looks like a banana riding that thing. Does this mean your the "Banan'r Man"?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM

YES, you've found me out! I'm Banan'r man and I ride around on my Green Llama like creature smiling like a 4yr old on Christmas, throwing the peace sign to all I pass.......... What?.. You think I'm joking? hahaha. Anyway, yeah, the Orchard is free to roam at the moment.....and Most harvesting is done, for now, other than the Tomatoes...BACK OFF! lol. Jk, ...if you can get here, and were you to, just for that? HEY, have at it! lol.

Have a wonderful night sleep, Holmes-Slice! haha.

I'm BEAT! Programmed my Micro-SD today in my Bluetooth Phone for whatever travels I might take. 8 Gig's of entertainment, ready to go on that, and 300Gigs of movies loaded in the Waterproof Portable Hard Drive. YEEEEEHAWWWW, lol.

Night Brudda,

Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Re- "CHECK<> CHECK"???

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Ok, here's the deal, most recent;

I thought I'd already mentioned this on here, Thook....but here we go, "MY BAD", lol...>>>

When cruising around town with my new Yotatech Brother, Yotaholic(that is, when we weren't sitting at street lights for 5 minutes, ...EVERY OTHER BLOCK! hahaha).. We finally came to a stop in a parking lot after screaming down the freeway and bit and such, ....and sat there, idling, for several minutes. At one point, I showed him something I'd noticed, lately. Well, I've always noticed it, partially(dimming and voltage needle jumping a tiny bit), but not related to idle speed....>>>>

1. When idling at 750-800-RPM, parked, if I put on the turn signal, I noticed that the idle dropped some.(Maybe 35-50rpm).

2. Then, while idling, turn signal engaged, I turned on the headlights.... The idle dropped even more(around 75-RPM, total)

3. Then, with Turn signal and headlights on, I hit the brights, ..... The idle dropped even more(A total of 100rpm with all three items on).

4. Today, while fiddling around with this some more, I warmed up the truck. I then went through this battery of 3 things and found NEARLY the same results.... The truck wasn't as warmed up, seeing as I'd only driven around the block.... but it WAS at Operating temp., completely. So, with all 3 items pulling power, the idle dropped around 75RPM... I then turned on the stereo and cranked it a bit(to pull more power than just on position) and it dropped even further to around 125RPM total).

If any of you are still interested and are following, hahaha, ... If you remember, I was thinking that I had an issue with my booster, as when I'd depress the brake at times, the idle would drop some. Now, I know, when pumping it over and over, it's going to pull a large vacuum away and the idle can drop a lil bit(tested it on other cars). HOWEVER, .... I never thought of the fact that both brake lights are also pulling voltage... DEFINITELY more than a turn signal, no? ....At least, I would think, Equal? After all, those bulbs are dual element..... does that make any difference? Either way, in many cases where I was at a stop, tripping out on what I thought was the booster issue, ...I'd also had my signal on! HMMMMMMMM! So, what I'm getting at is this; It would make sense, wouldn't it, that when I was thinking that, before(booster), and I had my foot on the brake and the signal was on.... That my idle was dropping out on me a lil bit. When I'd take my foot off the brake... VOILA, it would come back up.

Two other things that MIGHT not be related, but WTH, I'll mention them.

1. My Right of column arm(Wiper, Cruise Control and Washer fluid button on the end)????>>>>> The washer fluid button has NEVER worked. It's always been depressed inward and will NOT come back out.

2. My power antenna motor works(it's the kind that I believe you have to actually press the button to raise it or lower it...1987)... BUT, the metal part, about 5/8 of the way down is separated from the body(or whatever it is) inside. Yesterday, when Yotaholic was trying to help me investigate this voltage thing, further, he pressed the button to raise the antenna and it flopped on the side of the truck(Sorry Jess......I should have told you it did that, hahaha... I'd forgotten). It doesn't fall on the ground....the nylon chord in there is still attached, INSIDE of the wand shaft(???).>>>>

The reason I mention the antenna thing is partly because i want some info on how to fix it, how easy is it to get rid of the power one and put a whip on there or something(do I want to do that or is it better to have the power one?)... and because, when first putting on my truck, you've all heard the buzzer on my videos. However, I've always had the radio off when doing those videos... What happens is; When turning on the car, if the radio is on, set on AM RADIO(doesn't do this on FM)... The key reminder buzzer in the dash interferes with the AM radio and you can literally hear the buzzer in the speakers until it clicks off. I don't really have much noise pollution, even with AM, otherwise(you know, driving around, engine RPM, etc.)...but does anyone know why it would be doing that? Just noise interference from the buzzer? Does anyone else have to deal with that?

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate any guidance on this, from here on in. This could be leading me to something within my chassis electrical or otherwise that has been the source of my problem, all along. (or at least part of it, ya know?). Would any of you with smooth running/idling 22re's mind testing that out a bit, regarding putting a voltage load on like I did and record your findings for me, mentally? Give me a shout out on them, so to speak? PLEASE? LOL.

Thanks,

Mark
And,......some extra text for filler in order to post. Just wondering if anyone would mind testing out their idle by doing some of the things above? I have a new alternator, battery tests at 12.5 after sitting with the radio on for 3 hours.... I just need to figure out if anyone else has an idle drop when turning on the headlights, turn signal and pressing the break. Mine is noticeable, even when holding it at 2500rpms. I think it's abnormal, from what I've heard, ..but then even a fairly seasoned mechanic told me that can happen without any shorts, "Especially if you're not blowing fuses.", he said.

ANY HELP, GUYS?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM

As far as the antenna I can offer some help. I've changed a bunch of them. (Toyota body shop for 8.5 years). Does your antenna base have the nut still on it? If so it sounds like the mast has seperated from the lower section that keeps it in place. If you need to replace it remove the chrome nut and raise the antenna holding it and you will be able to pull everything out with ease including the nylon cord. Notice which way the teeth on the cord are facing when it comes out. It's no big deal just makes it easier going back in. Insert new mast and lower the antenna while someone holds the mast and guides it in. If you didn't notice which way the teeth were facing either they face forward or backward. If it does bite facing forward turn it 180.

The next time I drive my 86 I will check for RPM drop due to electrical load.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic
As far as the antenna I can offer some help. I've changed a bunch of them. (Toyota body shop for 8.5 years). Does your antenna base have the nut still on it? If so it sounds like the mast has seperated from the lower section that keeps it in place. If you need to replace it remove the chrome nut and raise the antenna holding it and you will be able to pull everything out with ease including the nylon cord. Notice which way the teeth on the cord are facing when it comes out. It's no big deal just makes it easier going back in. Insert new mast and lower the antenna while someone holds the mast and guides it in. If you didn't notice which way the teeth were facing either they face forward or backward. If it does bite facing forward turn it 180.

THANK YOU!

The next time I drive my 86 I will check for RPM drop due to electrical load.

ANDDDDDDD, ....Thank you again! lol.
I appreciate it, Alan! It's ALMOST THERE, ya know? I still think I'm not getting the best mileage, but I guess 17MPH in Los Angeles-Proper, with nothing but stop and go/sea of red all day and into the evening....well, I guess that's about the most I'll get out of her, lol. Once I get away for a week or so, I'll be able to estimate the Highway Mileage a lot better. I haven't even had time to do that, lately, let alone work on it much. I'm still going to have the smoke test done, but I need a day when I can take it in at 7am for this shop...and I need to have a ride home from there set up, first.I am not certain it has a vacuum leak, but I'd like to rule it out.

Please, if you can, just start turning things on when it's warmed up and see if the idle drops any? Appreciated

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM

I'll do the same, Mark...........tomorrow, though. I'm hot, sweaty, and covered in hay and dust. What's funny is some women actually like that. I love Arkansas.....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks Matthew! I really appreciate it. I guess I could have anyone I know with an OBD1 motor check for me, ....but I DON'T KNOW many with them, lol. I think Toyoholic checked his ride and found it didn't do it. We'll see, eh?

PS> I don't think it has to be a ARK/Southern/ "Country" type thing with the dirt and sweat.... but it's just that, ...so many LA/Cali girls have never seen many of the Gen-'Y ME?' younger guys get dirty! lol. My ex loved it, ...but she was a 'DIY' kinda gal from Catalina,... so there ya go, lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think mine drops any RPM with the lights, even before the 105 amp alternator, I'll check tomorrow after work. What kind of new alternator do you have? is it reman?

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed