Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Homie!

Have a nice evening of rest and I'll catch up tomorrow.

Mark
Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Vs-E2; Closed ----------- 0.284...0.02-0.1

Here is the first set of specs from the TEST CONNECTORS AT ECU;

The STA check, since it's unreadable, is that "it tested at 11.3", within the range, when clicking the key or as I'm turning it off. Besides, it starts fine, ...so not an issue.
Hey Mark, apologies for not posting sooner or more, but I had almost no rest last night, and was busy today taking care of some needed things.

Anyway, this is what I was trying to talk to you about over the phone. You'll see in the first quote your resistance reading was off for the Vs circuit. And, in the second quote the volt reading is a bit high. This is what I was trying to get you to compare to the actual reading at the AFM.

I'll wait for you to reply back before I post any further. I just feel this needs to be cleared up before moving on to the O2 testing......which is probably fine, anyway.....hahaha.

L8tr 2m8tr
Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Hey Matthew!

You know, I'm really thrown off by that first comment, the reason being,.... I DON'T KNOW where that suggested reading is coming from, hahaha. I'm looking at all the sheets and I don't see that ".02-.10"..... Both pages, and the readings I took, just a page back, from every possible prong/reading/ohms/volts.... none of them suggest that's the right specs. I think that's when I was confused. If you go back one page a few posts back from here?.... There are the FINAL readings I've gotten from the AFM, ....(At the ECU, wires Connected)...(At the ECU Connector Wires, disconnected)...(At the AFM itself). None of those readings are that far off.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Hey Matthew!

You know, I'm really thrown off by that first comment, the reason being,.... I DON'T KNOW where that suggested reading is coming from, hahaha. I'm looking at all the sheets and I don't see that ".02-.10"..... Both pages, and the readings I took, just a page back, from every possible prong/reading/ohms/volts.... none of them suggest that's the right specs. I think that's when I was confused. If you go back one page a few posts back from here?.... There are the FINAL readings I've gotten from the AFM, ....(At the ECU, wires Connected)...(At the ECU Connector Wires, disconnected)...(At the AFM itself). None of those readings are that far off.
Well, neither do I. But, you have the specs, not I.....lol!

Okay, well if that circuit is reading good on resistance, then the volts are not that far off to worry about. I'd say your harness is good. I strongly believe your O2 is fine, also. It really gets back to that dream I told you about. I was messing around with your motor and found a loose connection (vac or electric.....don't remember). I jiggled something and the motor ran better.

I gotta get ready to close the store, Chefferoni. I'll be back tomorrow. The wife and I have a spaghetti dinner date tonight!!! Plum tomatoes make great sauce......rrrr!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Oh, right. Did you get a chance to check your coolant sensor, again? I didn't have time to check mine last night. Tomorrow I should, though.

BTW, I called my bud at the local dealership who's in parts and asked for any info he had on the temp switch on the thermo housing. He said it was to improve startability and idle after prolonged hot dead soak. Hopefully, he can find the TSB regarding it again and email it to me.

Okay....away I go!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you check your efi ground strap that bolts to your intake manifold.. it might need a little bit of clean for a clean contact..
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Oh, right. Did you get a chance to check your coolant sensor, again? I didn't have time to check mine last night. Tomorrow I should, though.

BTW, I called my bud at the local dealership who's in parts and asked for any info he had on the temp switch on the thermo housing. He said it was to improve startability and idle after prolonged hot dead soak. Hopefully, he can find the TSB regarding it again and email it to me.

Okay....away I go!

Okay....away I go!
I did, in fact, recheck the CTSensor. Just a tip for those who aren't EXPERTS with Electronics: I had it on 2K.... OOOPS. See, the reading, when cold, is 2.25....thus, it fell off the map. However, at 20K, VOILA! It read right on the dot, not jumping around.

A yotatech fellow member has been here for a few hours, and I'll let him write for himself what he things of her, etc. However, when we sprayed 50% ether Start fluid on the rear of the intake side..... idle seemed to rise. I'll further investigate, posting more info... for now, i have to go. Thanks Thook!

Mark
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM

I did, in fact, recheck the CTSensor. Just a tip for those who aren't EXPERTS with Electronics: I had it on 2K.... OOOPS. See, the reading, when cold, is 2.25....thus, it fell off the map. However, at 20K, VOILA! It read right on the dot, not jumping around.

A yotatech fellow member has been here for a few hours, and I'll let him write for himself what he things of her, etc. However, when we sprayed 50% ether Start fluid on the rear of the intake side..... idle seemed to rise. I'll further investigate, posting more info... for now, i have to go. Thanks Thook!

Mark
<<<<me/ punches Chef in the arm>>>>>

Haha...oh man, really?! Well, that explains it. Gotta make sure your meter's on the right setting, amigo.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a vacuum leak, Mark. Of course, you know I've suspected that all along. But, that's the drawback to internet troubleshooting. Can't be there to see what's going on. I'm all ears for whatever fellow YT man has to say.

Hope you had a nice day, Mark. Ever started falling asleep standing up? That's how tired I was today. Man....it was worth it, though. Got my '86 on the road, again. Mean and clean. I also picked up a large capacity Toyota oil filter and 190 thermo from my bud at the dealer today. This week.....it's a full oil/filter change, thermo change, valve adjust check, drivetrain lube, steering lube, and more painting. I'm also going to be making a safari top/rack over the next couple of weeks when I have time. Oh, and new tires coming up soon, too! Soon as I can find the best deal.

I loved riding around with the top off today. Made loading all the critter food pickups incredibly easier. Not to mention, I looked dashingly handsome with my shades and hair blowing in the wind.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 PM

HAHAHAHAH! HE SAID 'DASHINGLY HANDSOME'!!! lol. Jk, I get the drift... and heck, we DEFINITELY feel that way with the top off, don't we? hahaha.

Toyohaulic was the guy who stopped by. Mostly we just hung out and spoke. Actually grabbed some grub, too. I showed him a couple tests I'd done, you know, just to have some closure on a couple things...and, well, like I said, I'll let him tell you what he thinks of my rig.

I actually noticed that today was the second or at most third time that the motor gave me grief AS WARMING UP. (AS ALWAYS before... it will run pretty well for 30 seconds or so-plus it IS idling up now, which it never did-...but then it began to idle down and give me crap. It didn't take very long to smooth out, and after we drove around a bit, ......I thinik Toyoholic can attest that it's capable and that it runs pretty smooth once warm. DANG Matthew....this is like it's starting with it's 'old issues' all over again.

We'll see on the vacuum leak. I've decided to get the smoke test, PERIOD, ...but must now find someone who does it. Not to mention, someone that I CAN TRUST would be preferable, ya know? Once I do that I think I'll at least be able to, PREFERABLY, either rule it out, or uggg, lol, confirm it. Nah, I'm nearly indifferent at this point about 'what it is', Matthew, yaknow? I'm just messin. OF COURSE i don't want to tear down the intake again... But if that's the deal, at least I'll know. However, the idling down thing and such....NOT cool, lol.

I'll catch up with ya when you can. Give me a call whenever it's convenient for ya, Matthew... thanks again for all your help.

Mark
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM

HAHAHAHAH! HE SAID 'DASHINGLY HANDSOME'!!! lol. Jk, I get the drift... and heck, we DEFINITELY feel that way with the top off, don't we? hahaha.

Yes, dashingly handsome......AND, impeccably cool! Hahaha.....it is a nice feeling. I may never put my hardtop back on. I'll guess we'll see how I feel when it's below freezing, though, won't we? But, dang......it's so convenient to load her up with the top off.

Toyohaulic was the guy who stopped by. Mostly we just hung out and spoke. Actually grabbed some grub, too. I showed him a couple tests I'd done, you know, just to have some closure on a couple things...and, well, like I said, I'll let him tell you what he thinks of my rig.

Then, tell him to post up already!!! I'm dyin' over here! Two YT guys have already looked at it and neither of them me. Of course, I'm the only one dreaming about it. How odd is that? Hahaha! Well, it's not odd, but different, anyway. The Edgar Cayce of YT? Yeah....that's different.

I actually noticed that today was the second or at most third time that the motor gave me grief AS WARMING UP. (AS ALWAYS before... it will run pretty well for 30 seconds or so-plus it IS idling up now, which it never did-...but then it began to idle down and give me crap. It didn't take very long to smooth out, and after we drove around a bit, ......I thinik Toyoholic can attest that it's capable and that it runs pretty smooth once warm. DANG Matthew....this is like it's starting with it's 'old issues' all over again.

We'll see on the vacuum leak. I've decided to get the smoke test, PERIOD, ...but must now find someone who does it. Not to mention, someone that I CAN TRUST would be preferable, ya know? Once I do that I think I'll at least be able to, PREFERABLY, either rule it out, or uggg, lol, confirm it. Nah, I'm nearly indifferent at this point about 'what it is', Matthew, yaknow? I'm just messin. OF COURSE i don't want to tear down the intake again... But if that's the deal, at least I'll know. However, the idling down thing and such....NOT cool, lol.

I'll catch up with ya when you can. Give me a call whenever it's convenient for ya, Matthew... thanks again for all your help.

I sense the diagnostic fervor is waning? Was Toyoholic just as puzzled as everyone else, or something?

Mark
(Obligatory words inserted here..........)
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Um....Mark, can you call me while I'm work tomorrow? I'll send you a PM with my work hours and phone number. Please call. I just realized something.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:20 AM

hey chef still trying to figure it out?? those little misses can drive you crazy. those pictures you put up were nice. the verses are good too!! gotta go get ready for church. I put some kill devices on my rig yesterday.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM

(Obligatory words inserted here..........)
Hahaha. Edgar, Edgar, Edgar... I told you, you'll scare the children with that talk! hahaha, jk. Yeah, I hear ya. Ihave had SEVERAL dreams, some of them so vivid, where I wake up literally POSITIVE that I've got a wrench in my hand and was just working on something. I have to take a second, shaking my head, to realize "No, Sir. You were NOT outside doing that wrenching!" hahaha. As far as Toyoholic, I will speak with him today, ....I'll see when He'll be able to post. I think his net access is spotty at best. He works from 5:30am to......? So, we'll see asap, ok? lol.

Um....Mark, can you call me while I'm work tomorrow? I'll send you a PM with my work hours and phone number. Please call. I just realized something.
Why yes I can, Matthew... sounds good.

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
hey chef still trying to figure it out?? those little misses can drive you crazy. those pictures you put up were nice. the verses are good too!! gotta go get ready for church. I put some kill devices on my rig yesterday.
Thanks alot, Cougar. And, hmmmm, I will go check out the kill devices section, asap as well. Just have to use what free time I have today to ''get on this'', ya know? Thanks for stopping by, guys.

Mark
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM

PS> Toyoholic is a really nice guy. I guess that's why we ended up shooting the jabberwalki most of the time, hahaha. We did check a few things out, but after my most recent readings of the ECU, etc., .... It seemed moot to do that again for a 4th time. We drove around a bit and hit the freeway as well. As I said, ....I've had this Toy for 8 years...... and I've not really driven in any others in that time. So, my only perspective on performance, etc., is on mine. That's why I said I'll let him comment, ya know? All that said, I'm fairly sure he was impressed.... We'll see, hahaha.

He's offered to help with any tearing down, etc., I might have to do.(THANKS, 'J'!) Again, it's just a matter of me finding the time to do so, IF IT'S NEEDED, lol. That's why I want the smoke test....which will have to, btw, be done cold as well as warm. The miss seems much more chunky as it's warming up. When having driven around a bit, you know....fully warmed up block, head, etc.,.... it seems to be less obvious and actually, it was funny.....OF COURSE when he drove in it, it was actually far less obvious than it has been EVERY OTHER DAY SINCE THE BUILD, HAAHHAA....but yes, still noticeable.

The weird thing, as previously mentioned, is that, when warming up this time, one of the first times since replacing THIS ECU, ...... It's idling down again after getting to around 'closed loop time'. Very frustrating, but whateva! lol. It can only be so many things... I CLAIM IT, RIGHT NOW..HAHA... at some point....I WILL FIND THIS BUGGER-GREMLIN! hahaha.

Yeah, Cougar, ....these things can be a bear. I've heard some stories that are actually disheartening, lol. Some of which took, literally, a complete, nearly microscopic inspection of the motor, it's components and component housings. In my case, this was the motors first tear down, etc. However, that means nearly nothing when it comes to metals, wiring or otherwise failures/manipulations or degradation. Have a good day, Brother. Curious how you're liking the tires, sir?

I, at one point, was testing the Coolant Temp Sensor.... I started the motor without replacing the connector.... At that point, the motor stalled and I hooked it back up. AFTER this, the motor did it's 'idle down to 5-600rpm thingy' for, what I think is one of the first times recently. I'm going to check for and then clear any codes that might have developed in removing things, etc.... but I don't think there will be any....neither do I think that would cause the idle down thingymadoer, lol. BUT WHAT THE HECK, EH?

Oh well..... I shall trek on, lol. I just want to thank those of you who have tried to help me over the last couple months....especially those who have stood fast for DAYZZZZZ, lol. Appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 PM

was talking to a guy that used to be a service writer for toyota he said with the older trucks and cars when you have a problem like that and there is no code everything seems to check out. the best thing to do is remove fuse for ecm and disconnect battery for a couple mins then replace them and start the car and go for a normal ride for about 20 min or more( do not let it sit and idle for any length of time) come home park it . 9 out of ten times it will be ok after that . I am not sure about this but at this point seems like an easy thing to do
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM

sounds like a shot..
Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Hey Mike, how are you bud? Yeah, I did that today, clearing any ECU info, just in case, and it didn't seem to idle down as bad this time. It's still creeping to around 685-700rpm or so, after the IACV is done with it's cycle.... but not as bad as yesterday. I think another thing that's important to mention(MAYBE? LOL) is that we were spraying ether all in there, looking for vacuum leaks. Maybe the ECU got a lil freaked out by the sudden volatility in there and dropped the pulse off the injectors some?.... Just a thought.

Ok, here's the deal, most recent;

I thought I'd already mentioned this on here, Thook....but here we go, "MY BAD", lol...>>>

When cruising around town with my new Yotatech Brother, Yotaholic(that is, when we weren't sitting at street lights for 5 minutes, ...EVERY OTHER BLOCK! hahaha).. We finally came to a stop in a parking lot after screaming down the freeway and bit and such, ....and sat there, idling, for several minutes. At one point, I showed him something I'd noticed, lately. Well, I've always noticed it, partially(dimming and voltage needle jumping a tiny bit), but not related to idle speed....>>>>

1. When idling at 750-800-RPM, parked, if I put on the turn signal, I noticed that the idle dropped some.(Maybe 35-50rpm).

2. Then, while idling, turn signal engaged, I turned on the headlights.... The idle dropped even more(around 75-RPM, total)

3. Then, with Turn signal and headlights on, I hit the brights, ..... The idle dropped even more(A total of 100rpm with all three items on).

4. Today, while fiddling around with this some more, I warmed up the truck. I then went through this battery of 3 things and found NEARLY the same results.... The truck wasn't as warmed up, seeing as I'd only driven around the block.... but it WAS at Operating temp., completely. So, with all 3 items pulling power, the idle dropped around 75RPM... I then turned on the stereo and cranked it a bit(to pull more power than just on position) and it dropped even further to around 125RPM total).

If any of you are still interested and are following, hahaha, ... If you remember, I was thinking that I had an issue with my booster, as when I'd depress the brake at times, the idle would drop some. Now, I know, when pumping it over and over, it's going to pull a large vacuum away and the idle can drop a lil bit(tested it on other cars). HOWEVER, .... I never thought of the fact that both brake lights are also pulling voltage... DEFINITELY more than a turn signal, no? ....At least, I would think, Equal? After all, those bulbs are dual element..... does that make any difference? Either way, in many cases where I was at a stop, tripping out on what I thought was the booster issue, ...I'd also had my signal on! HMMMMMMMM! So, what I'm getting at is this; It would make sense, wouldn't it, that when I was thinking that, before(booster), and I had my foot on the brake and the signal was on.... That my idle was dropping out on me a lil bit. When I'd take my foot off the brake... VOILA, it would come back up.

Two other things that MIGHT not be related, but WTH, I'll mention them.

1. My Right of column arm(Wiper, Cruise Control and Washer fluid button on the end)????>>>>> The washer fluid button has NEVER worked. It's always been depressed inward and will NOT come back out.

2. My power antenna motor works(it's the kind that I believe you have to actually press the button to raise it or lower it...1987)... BUT, the metal part, about 5/8 of the way down is separated from the body(or whatever it is) inside. Yesterday, when Yotaholic was trying to help me investigate this voltage thing, further, he pressed the button to raise the antenna and it flopped on the side of the truck(Sorry Jess......I should have told you it did that, hahaha... I'd forgotten). It doesn't fall on the ground....the nylon chord in there is still attached, INSIDE of the wand shaft(???).>>>>

The reason I mention the antenna thing is partly because i want some info on how to fix it, how easy is it to get rid of the power one and put a whip on there or something(do I want to do that or is it better to have the power one?)... and because, when first putting on my truck, you've all heard the buzzer on my videos. However, I've always had the radio off when doing those videos... What happens is; When turning on the car, if the radio is on, set on AM RADIO(doesn't do this on FM)... The key reminder buzzer in the dash interferes with the AM radio and you can literally hear the buzzer in the speakers until it clicks off. I don't really have much noise pollution, even with AM, otherwise(you know, driving around, engine RPM, etc.)...but does anyone know why it would be doing that? Just noise interference from the buzzer? Does anyone else have to deal with that?

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate any guidance on this, from here on in. This could be leading me to something within my chassis electrical or otherwise that has been the source of my problem, all along. (or at least part of it, ya know?). Would any of you with smooth running/idling 22re's mind testing that out a bit, regarding putting a voltage load on like I did and record your findings for me, mentally? Give me a shout out on them, so to speak? PLEASE? LOL.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM

i know what your problem is
Old 08-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Hmmmmmmm, are you messin with me, Mister? hahaha. Jk, ....BUT REALLY, uhhhhhhh, wanna share? lol
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
i know what your problem is
No, ...really, are you seriously gonna leave me hanging like that? hahahaha. Hmmmm, maybe you got your signal interruptededed.... eh? Hmmm, or maybe YOU ARE messin with me, hmm? AHHHHHHHH! Lol. Jk, jk. Hoping your serious and going to offer a fresh perspective or personal experience you've had, etc.

Thanks, Yota ,.... Looking forward to your 'input'.

Mark

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed