87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paper clip helps sometimes
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Mike,

Yeah, I'm going to design a lil secure connection on the end of my test probes that's thinner, because they're just too tight in there. I wouldn't want to loosen the connections to the ECU wiring connector crimps.

It's running pretty well, ...as I've said, it's that lil hiccup that's driving me nuts, along with a VERY MILDLY erratic idle at times. I'm really leaning toward something being loose along the wiring path. I really doubt that any of the new components or ones that I've verified are the source of the problem via 'improper resistance', etc.

I'll be doing more tests and sharing as I go. I might just solder a paper clip to the end of each connector...DANG good idea, Mike.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

I have some soldered onto alligator clips and clip onto leads make a few they get lost or run off when you least expect it.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

^^ Yep. I have clips and such, but the prongs on these are just a lil thick... not going to buy another meter just to get thinner prongs, lol.. so yeah, I'll figure something out.

Just served Reuben's.... MMMMMM, one of my fav's!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Here is the first set of specs from the TEST CONNECTORS AT ECU;

The STA check, since it's unreadable, is that "it tested at 11.3", within the range, when clicking the key or as I'm turning it off. Besides, it starts fine, ...so not an issue.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Mark,

Check your AFM connector to make sure none of the terminals are backing out a bit or loose. Your Vs - E2 reading in ohms was high, and the voltage is high when the measuring plate is closed.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, check for resistance at the Vs-E2 terminals directly at the AFM with the measuring plate closed. And, make sure it's closed and not hanging open a tad. Hold with your hand if you have to.

Last edited by thook; 08-05-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Hey Mark,

Check your AFM connector to make sure none of the terminals are backing out a bit or loose. Your Vs - E2 reading in ohms was high, and the voltage is high when the measuring plate is closed.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, check for resistance at the Vs-E2 terminals directly at the AFM with the measuring plate closed. And, make sure it's closed and not hanging open a tad. Hold with your hand if you have to.
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the input, Bud, I really appreciate it!

As to your comment; Hmmmm, yeah, alright. So, they could be backing out of the terminals at the ECU, ya think? Also, I thought that, yesterday, regarding the measuring plate.... I just ran out of time to pull both sides of filter/pipe and look in there and check. I will do so and letcha know as soon as I can get some free time.

Thanks again,

Mark

PS> Stay hydrated, brudda!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM

DANG IT! grrr, lol. Jk, but really?... I can't seem to ever get free time to work on my rig, and by the time I'm able to get out there(around 10pm-11pm), ...FUH-GETTA-BOUTIT! haha. I have been going like a headless chicken since 5:30am, just got enough of a break for stopping in, and felt I should, just to say 'sorry', I couldn't get to it again today.

They're having a pool party, again, and those are particularly hard for me because it's sporadic ordering all day. They had a PHAT breakfast, ...then lunch, and 2-3 things in between, and now I'm finishing up the prep and such for dessert, .....serving dinner at 8pm... .Then tons of cleaning, along with stepping out 3 times today for things they wanted(we didn't have) and then serve dessert and aperitif's! AHHHHHH, hahaha. Actually, I love it most often, cuz my day flies by and they're all fun people. However, .... I WANNA WORK ON MY RIG, DAGNABBIT! LOL.

Ok, well, enough ranting, s'all good. Just wanted to let you know, Matthew....Sorry, couldn't get to it tonight. I wont be able to talk on the phone from around 7-10pm... Maybe I'll get this in the morning, then post it asap, ok?

Thanks again for the input and also, I'll be doing the 02S testing and full test of AFM and CTS.

L8r t8rs,

Mark
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Hey man, no need to apologize to me. I'm just hangin' out and waiting for developments whenever they occur. I haven't even been able to finish my 4rnr projects...haha! I still have to remount the pass side rear shock, adjust the LSPV spring, and get some painting done on the frame. Then, I really need to scrub her inside and out REAL good! Filthy.....pffth! Hopefully, I'll atleast get all but the painting done before Saturday. Time to get her operational so I can rebuild the wife's injectors....among other little things.

Anyway, I know the feeling, Mark. Just gotta relax about it.......DAGNABBIT!!!!

I don't mean backing out at the ECU. I mean backing out at the connector that connects to the AFM. You took your resistance reading, which turned out a bit high, from the ECU connector while it was disconnected from the ECU. So, logically, it couldn't be from the ECU connector. I've had that happen before during the rebuild of my wife's engine. The ground terminal had backed out of the connector because I had to disconnect and reconnect the AFM several times doing things over and again. It's just something to rule out in light of meter reading's that are out of spec even a little bit.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 AM

hey chef contend with the readings that are off before going any further . first things first.
you know main course before dessert
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 AM

Well, what if main course is dessert?!

Ah, but to live with Pippy Longstockings.........

Last edited by thook; 08-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 AM

how can you have your pudding when can't eat your meat
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Easy. Don't invite Roger Waters for dinner.....hehehe!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM

WHY NOT, Matthew??? hahaha. Actually, never cooked for him, but quite a few others were memorable,..... in either positive or not so friendly ways, hahaha.(I wouldn't mention some of the more 'spoiled' and 'unpleasant' people on here), BUT; One of the coolest guys around?..... Alice Cooper! That guys LOVES fine foods! And what a friendly and hilarious man. If there's a new spot in the Greater Phoenix Area,....he's been there, lol. Sammy Hagar as well, ....really nice guy. James Woods, ...HILARIOUS, very nice guy and SUPER intelligent.... Which was nice, seeing as I LOVE his acting skills, lol. "Best Seller", "Once Upon a Time in America", "Videodrome", "Salvador"???? Robert Davi is a very cool character and nice guy as well. The guy just REEKS of confidence, hahaha.

That was funny, Mike, Matthew, hahahaha. And, yes, I intend on first verifying the AFM's functionality, lack thereof or, what I more likely suspect if there is in fact something problematic... something in the wiring, as the readings at the replacement AFM, itself, were right on before installing.

I'd mentioned the 02-readings as well, because, simply, I can't yet rule it out and I'll have to test everything I can with the utmost expedience! Zinnnnnng, lol. Luckily and unfortunately, at the same time, I've not had an urgent need for this to be remedied, ....as well as the fact that, it's not something that's keeping it from running at all, when I've needed it here and there on occasion.

Ahhhhhhh, I see the Meat purveyor has pulled up in the drive..... I'll see ya soon, hopefully, WITH RESULTS! LOL.

Later guys, thanks a lot for taking the time to put in some input.

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WHY NOT, Matthew??? hahaha. Actually, never cooked for him, but quite a few others were memorable,..... in either positive or not so friendly ways, hahaha.(I wouldn't mention some of the more 'spoiled' and 'unpleasant' people on here), BUT; One of the coolest guys around?..... Alice Cooper! That guys LOVES fine foods! And what a friendly and hilarious man. If there's a new spot in the Greater Phoenix Area,....he's been there, lol. Sammy Hagar as well, ....really nice guy. James Woods, ...HILARIOUS, very nice guy and SUPER intelligent.... Which was nice, seeing as I LOVE his acting skills, lol. "Best Seller", "Once Upon a Time in America", "Videodrome", "Salvador"???? Robert Davi is a very cool character and nice guy as well. The guy just REEKS of confidence, hahaha.

There's some famous people I wouldn't mind meeting someday. James Woods....that'd be cool. I like his acting, too.....very much. I'd like to meet Johnny Depp and Peter Gabriel. Johnny Depp because he seems like he's just a cool, simple guy. And, PG because he's a brilliant song writer. Early Genesis is one of my favorite groups to listen to.

That was funny, Mike, Matthew, hahahaha. And, yes, I intend on first verifying the AFM's functionality, lack thereof or, what I more likely suspect if there is in fact something problematic... something in the wiring, as the readings at the replacement AFM, itself, were right on before installing.

Well, that's what I've been leading up to. I remember your testing the AFM itself, but it would be good to compare those readings to what you got at the ECU connector. If the meter is saying one thing, but the ECU is seeing another due to wiring, then....well....there's a problem. Even if it's only slight. But, then your problem is only slight. And, this would make the most sense being that you had the problem before the rebuild, you changed the AFM, you changed the ECU, the problem still persists, and the only thing that hasn't changed is the wiring and the stinkin' symptom.

I'd mentioned the 02-readings as well, because, simply, I can't yet rule it out and I'll have to test everything I can with the utmost expedience! Zinnnnnng, lol. Luckily and unfortunately, at the same time, I've not had an urgent need for this to be remedied, ....as well as the fact that, it's not something that's keeping it from running at all, when I've needed it here and there on occasion.

Ahhhhhhh, I see the Meat purveyor has pulled up in the drive..... I'll see ya soon, hopefully, WITH RESULTS! LOL.

Later guys, thanks a lot for taking the time to put in some input.

Mark
See ya later, Mark. I'm gonna go work on MY rig....YAY! It's cooled off in general since day before yesterday. A nice cool breeze and about 5* difference. Amazing what that difference will do. Anyway, perfect day for the 4rnr.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 AM

AFM Findings;

I was going to do Paint with these pages as well, ....but I feel that will take time I don't have to spare that I could be testing other things.
************************************************** **************************************

Test of AFM in 3 ways according to diagram above: (1.) Connected at ECU. (2.) At wiring connectors, but disconnected from ECU. (3.) At the AFM itself;

1. Testing of AFM;
......a. *E2 - Vs*; (1.) 269 (2.) 270 (3.) 279
......b. *E2 - Vc*; (1.) 169 (2.) 180 (3.) 178

(The following don't show prongs at the ECU side so I assume they're internally regulated by variables like temp., internal resistance, etc. These are results at the AFM itself);

......c. *E2 - Vb* ; 278
......d. *E2 - THA*; 1.7k at 74 Degrees Ambient Temp.
......e. *E1 - Fc * ; Infinity

************************************************** **************************************

Measured Solely at the AFM as to diagram above;

1. E1 - FC;
......a. Fully Closed> Infinity
......b. Other than Closed Position> .000 (It flashed #'s while opening, but held at any position along the way it read .000)

2. E2 - Vs;
......a. Fully Closed 279
......b. Fully Closed to Fully Open(When fully open, 480-500> HOWEVER, at times along the travel of the measuring plate, it would hit 1200, 1400, but mostly would stay within the range of under 1000. Seemed to jump back and forth. Can't remember if that's unusual like with the TPS, for it to jump back and forth in numbers, but Hmmmmm).

I'm beginning to wonder if the "COLD AIR INTAKE" theory is bunk. The AFM get's MUCH hotter than I remember it getting, when the Original Air Intake Box was installed and it was drawing air from behind the Light Panel, where the air coming in was shielded from the the heat of the engine, exhaust and radiator. IT'S HOT IN THERE in that engine bay. HOWEVER; It does seem to run fine, when the engine is fully warm and driving around town, even in my constant 'stop and go' LA type driving. There is less missing(although it's still there, clearly) when the truck is fully warmed up and driven, ...but no less than with the original on, tha'ts for sure. I think I'm going to take it for a drive on the freeway today at the best down time I can find, for two reasons. (1.) I want to test the Highway Mileage. (2.) I want to see if I can feel any hiccup in the motor at a steady RPM in 4th and 5th Gear, doing 55-75. Of course I'll test the Highway Mileage at 65mph. Just a reminder...the thing does 90 now, easy, ...which it formerly had trouble in getting to 75-80. Seems to get there quicker as well. Anyway, that's it for now, I'll try to do the 02Sensor testing as well. Just have to ask politely if they'll mind.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM

I am not sure if it is a problem but I agree with you . from the factory it takes air fom in front of car with the k&n filters they take it from the hot engine bay . not good for engine but good for k&n
Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Yeah, well, it's just a thought. I'm not SURE of anything, haha. I know it's a catch 22 in the eyes of some. For one, my LCE Pipe to the AFM is larger, has no real aggressive bends in it and it's free of any 'steps' as with my other(OEM) set up. I know the throttle body is the same size, but being able to get air from the AFM to the TBody with less restriction, especially under load.... well, it SEEMS/SOUNDS like a good idea. It's also able to take it into the AFM at the AFM Body with less bends and restrictions. Also, on the freeway, with plenty of up-flow of cool/or at least fresh air underneath, the motor cools down enough to where that AFM probably wouldn't get as hot. However, I don't drive 80% freeway... I actually drive 95% City/Stop lights/Sea of Red. Like I said, I am IN NO WAY claiming to be an expert or even well read on the various opinions... but I can see it logical that both sides have a point. I guess that's partially why some swap the AFM location with the Battery... Further away from the exhaust, less resistance/space between air intake and TBody, etc. I think K&N should(if they don't already) come up with a "BOX" that would route the intake of air to the outside, above, or to the original hole behind the headlight. ??? I know there are snorkels, ...but do they work with Cold Air Intake Systems?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 PM

So, unless someone can see something really strange with my numbers on my AFM and connectors/ECU.... well?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Mark, I'll look at everything real well tomorrow when I don't have any distractions from concentration. And, like I said, I'll go over the O2 inspection with you step by step.

Personally, I don't see the intake design as being a/the problem. Plenty of folks have'em without issue. Atleast, they're not saying so..... Nevertheless, the misfiring was happening before the intake install, correct? Catch my drift?

Anyway, see you around tomorrow, Chefmeister. Sweet dreams, my friend.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed