Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hows it going Chef? Wish I could tell you something about your problems, still all I can say is hang in there bud.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 08-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahha, ...hey Rob! Ahhh, it's ok. It'll get worked out eventually. I could have had this weeks ago, most likely, if I'd had more than 20-45 Minutes at a time to mess with it, lol. I've actually been thinking of looking further into the Air Intake Systems. I don't mean as a source of my issues.... just as to whether they're worth it at all. I know Ted doesn't really care for them, and my local dealer foreman(an acquaintance) doesn't like them either, hahah.. He said, "These stupid things, ... without Having a box enclosure for it to the grill behind the light for intake-air, it's a HOT AIR intake, ...it's WAY hotter where it is now than it was with the original system in there, sucking it from almost even with the grill in front...THAT'S cold air intake". hahaha. I like the sound of it, and if it's going to improve my mileage and not hurt anything, I'll keep it. But NOT for looks alone, hahaha.

As far as the running conditions go, ....just really strange. I haven't had time to take it to this guy I mentioned, even if I wanted to, ...nor would I have a ride back at the time he wants it... So for now, I'm just going through things that are fairly invasive, ya know? I mean, I could go to the Sierras now, ya know? But I just DON'T LIKE the way it's running 'throughout different ranges', LIKE WHEN IT'S COLD-but just warming up. Within a couple weeks, I'm not going to wait any longer, ...Summer is disappearing, lol.

How you like the new tires, Rob?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
How you like the new tires, Rob?
Well they look great, but honestly the furthest I have driven the 4runner since I put those tires on was just 1 trip around the block. I still don't know if they will rub or not at full compression. From what I have read around here they should be fine. I think that if they do rub it will be in the rear, maybe my springs are just worn out, but it looks close. I really need to get it street legal so I can drive it some.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 08-01-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Well, while I'm in Limbo, ....I figured I'd share a couple pics. I love Photography and I do some bookmarks and screensavers for people on occasion(not great at it, but I try, lol). I'm going to start a thread of some of my better photos and family and stuff.... but for now, why not, eh? ..........Besides, many of you have become friends, even speaking on the phone and heck, EVEN STOPPING BY TO HELP OUT on a couple occasions! So I wanted to share a lil of who I am. Unfortunately, I don't have many pics on my puters any longer, ..one fried and they're mostly on my External HD now and Carbonite, lol. However, I'll load up MANY more even better ones when I can find time to load them to PBucket off the HD. Seriously.... Thanks for helping, guys, ...........

This was dinner tonight; Organic Free Roaming Pork Tenderloin, with a Sauce made from my own Apricot and Jalapeno Jams, Tarmari Soy, Raw-Pure-Unheated Honey from a Friend, My Garden Tarragon and Sage and Dijon--- Served with Fresh Boiled Iowa Sweet Corn, White Asparagus and Greens braised in Chicken Stock.

Not long ago was Ahi Tuna with Gyoza Sauce, served with Sauteed Spinach and Baked Sweet Potatoes from my Garden(one of my fav's!)

Me and my daughter.............

Her son(My First Grand-BB).........

BB-Jay, Solo, doing the TOYOTA LEAP, ALREADY! HEHEHE..........

My Older Daughter, Kayla and Myself...........

My Beautiful Girls, myself and Pop's!...........

My Sister and her beautiful Daughters.......

Some of my shots more recently................All of my flowers or local areas(I have to load the originals, so please don't think I'm trying to get preachy on here with the shots with Scripture embeded...there Gifts I've printed and gave to friends)

Below in this pic is the Canyon where I wheel and camp quite often, when I don't have time to hit the Sierras. This is new Mt. Waterman on the 2HWY in the Angeles Crest(This isn't that far from where Scuba is doing the Jamboree this weekend). The road to get up to this highway, from the Campsite is pretty hairy, and I've always loved the view....Hope you do as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Update;

I tested the Vacuum and as it's warming up it runs around 15". As I feather the throttle, not too high, it increases to 20-something and then drops off as it increases to a certain point. I've been busy since then, but I'll take another reading when it's fully warmed up, etc. I've triple checked the vacuum lines and even had the Foreman at my local Dealer(an acquaintance) check over them to verify. You'll buy what? And, the smoke test is when they fill the intake and so forth with smoke to test for vacuum/intake leaks. Not sure what video you're referring to, ...I've done many, lol. It's running kind of crappy again when cold, but pretty tight when warmed up, fully, driving around a lil bit.. But still with the 'pup..........pup-puppupup.........pup..pup' hiccup/miss.

Now, as far as the test of the wiring to the ECU(connectors), key in ON position, my results were as follows..........(The only Schematic I could find was on Alan's 22re Troubleshooting thread, and his is an 86... Should be ok).....>>>>Recommended numbers are in RED

IDL-E2; Open------------Infinite...Infinity
............Closed----------- .026...0-0.1
VTA-E2; Fully open------- Infinite...3.3-10
............Closed------------- .658...0.2-0.8
Vcc-E2; --------------- 1.2-1.7 .....3-7(Would only read when initially connecting it, split second)
THA-E2; ----------------- .898...2-3 (Engine was fully warm and AFM was pretty hot from residual heat) As it cooled it was creeping up in a few minutes to 1.1(I'll check it when fully cold)
THW-E2; ---------------- 0.344 (Fully Warm).....0.2-0.4
+B-E2; ------------------ 0.279...0.2-0.4
Vc-E2; ------------------ .180...0.1-0.3
Vs-E2; Closed ----------- 0.284...0.02-0.1
..........Fully Open-------- 0.670-0.720...0.02-1.0
Ne-E1; NOTHING, ... 0.14-0.18(Ne is for 'Engine Revolution Sensor'(???????)... Should it still read something when not running?)

I can't be sure, but I would bet that if the AFM housing is at room temp(77* today), instead of being literally REALLY warm from running around town, it might just read within specs in the Ambient Temperature Portion of the Test.... THA-E2(???)

Now I'm just waiting for Matthew(Aka Thook) to help me decipher what I've found and point me as to what's next.

PS> I can't read from Alan's thread whether this test was supposed to be done w/engine cold or warm, key on or off, ... But the other test that was sent to me said to have the key to on...Nothing more(that I remember, lol). Sorry,I'm just really freaky-confused at this point.
Yo Bro!!! Man, it was good talkin' to you last night, Chef. I could see us sitting around a campfire yackin' it up for hours keeping the wildlife awake. Some monkey, from out of nowhere, screaming "would you guys shut the *bleep* up!!!! Geez!".

You need to run your resistance tests with the key OFF. Key ON is when you're testing for voltage. Otherwise, with key on, the terminals that are battery supply will hot. So, you won't get a correct reading, and it may damage your meter.

However, battery supply doesn't go to most of them so long as the harness is disconnected from the ECU. Battery supply - ECU, voltage through ECU supplied to components.......Like the TPS, AFM, and all that.

Anyway, even with the key on, like I said, some of those readings you got are valid.......just out of spec. First one I noticed was VTA at WOT. That should not be infinite. It would mean the circuit is open and no voltage will be supplied through an open circuit.

Vcc is constant voltage supply to the TPS. This is the circuit in which voltage is suppied and also the ECU actually registers the TPS is there. Capice? So, if your getting that dropout (IOW, the meter reads for a second and then no reading), that would mean somehow the battery voltage supplied by your meter is getting lost somewhere.....losing continuity. Does it go to 0 or infinite when the meter drops out?

Vs is the measuring plate circuit in your AFM. The reading you get is too high. It's actually closer to the specs on the '93 FSM. However, when you take that reading, you need to make sure the measuring plate is fully closed and not hanging open a bit due to the internal spring.

Ne is from your distributor pick up coil. That's the crank speed circuit. That should NOT be open! I couldn't make much sense of what you were trying to tell me last night until I just now looked at your post. You have to have resistance in these sensor circuit within a specified range so that when the specified amount of voltage is supplied to the circuit, the ECU will register a given amount telling it what the component is doing. Seems odd your vehicle would even run if the circuit was open and no signal would be getting through. Maybe it's intermittent. But, bear in mind this circuit, Ne is required to even fire your injectors. So, if it's dropping out sometimes, this would explain your hiccup........atleast in part. In part because you're having issues on those other circuits.

So, at the moment, I'm seriously thinking you have a harness issue somewhere. Of course, it could point to a component, but your TPS is new, the AFM has been tested and verified, and so has your distributor. BTW, this open reading has nothing to do with the air gap. I mention that since you've had questions regarding that.

Anyway, when you have time and are nice and refreshed, in a good space and all that, go back and redo your testing. This time with the key OFF and compare what you get by jiggling wires to components in question. Okay?

Oh, and don't bother warming the vehicle up. Just do everything cold, at first. The only relavence engine temp has to what you're doing here is in relation to temp sensors........eg, IAT, ECT, and O2. Of course, O2 we're holding off on for now.

Later brother. It's hot today and gotta get some stuff done.....REGARDLESS! Bahahahaha! <<<<whew!>>>>

Last edited by thook; 08-03-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Oh yeah.........beautiful pics, Mark. I'm only slightly offended by the scripture.........NOT!!!! Hehehe! And, and, and..........your family is beautiful, too. Your youngest daughter has the most angelic eyes. Wow!!! They kinda look like yerz!!!! Kind and gentle.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Thank you, so much, Matthew! I really appreciate your compliments on my family. We've had a rocky road at times, but they're really wound up being pretty darn good people. And yes, Haley has BEAUTIFUL Green eyes. Both are nice, ..but Kayla's are actually Blue(My older, taller biscuit!lol). That lil man, my first Grandson, Jay?... DANG is he mellow! lol. He laughs alot and such, but hardly EVER hear him crying hysterically(even though now, almost 6 Mo., they start to figure out that "HEY, when I whine, ....they COME RUNNING!MUAHAHAHAHA! hahahhaha! )

Anyway, thank you, very much, for taking the time to help me out, Matthew. I will do just that, testing it out with the key off! GOTCHA! I suppose, yes, voltage supplied to a component very well could cause an unwanted variable, eh? hahaha. FHewwwwwww! Wipes brow! LOL.

Ok, one more thing. I'm not sure whether I understand 'Infinity' or not, regarding the meter. I Plugged it in on those 2 units and NOTHING happened on the meter. Just kept the same "O.L" reading. One time, I believe it showed a "-O.L." .... I'll pay closer attention to that and read over my meter instructions, again, ....ahhhhhh, lol, jk.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM

PS> Any chance I could get a link or PDF from you showing the Schematic for my ECU? .....So I can print it out? I'ma call My buddy at Yota Dealer, .....see if he can fax me one, but in case not, maybe? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM

4runnerx3 sent me the diagram, but it doesn't have the values. Of course, were I to forward you to the link (photobucket), you could print the diagram and write the values in from Alan's info.

Infinity means a circuit is completely open. For example, if you take a length of wire with an inline fuse and put your meter probes on either end, provided the fuse is good, you'll get a closed circuit reading. The resistance value will, of course, be determined by the resistance of the fuse and the wire. But, if there were no fuse, the only resistance would be that of the wire.......depending on long it is or if there are in kinks in it or there's maybe a few strands of it broken. Now, let's say the fuse blows. The contact between the two ends is gone and your meter will go to infinity representing an open circuit. The connection made by the fuse is gone....kapput. That's infinity. Just like not having your probes touching each other. Ever notice when you have them together, the meter reads zero? That's a closed circuit with no resistance. The current of your meter battery is able to travel through with no breaks in the circuit between ground and positive. Closed loop/open loop mode is another good example of this. (another time for that explanation, though)

Realize in order for a circuit to operate, it has to have battery positive/voltage applied and a solid ground to complete the circuit. Voltage has to be able to travel from its source and back. The ground is the reference to the meter that tells it how many volts are being applied or is able to actually travel through the circuit....point A to point B.

So, you have a wire that's connected from the Ne contact at the ECU to the Ne contact at the distributor coil, a wire that's connected to the E2 terminal at the ECU and the E2 terminal at the distributor coil, and a wire that actually supplies the voltage to the coil from the ECU. (I forget which one that is.....maybe IGf, not sure.) Ne is a sensor or feedback circuit that tells the ECU where the crank position is relative to ignition voltage (IGsomething) at the time it's being supplied. That's ignition timing. The Ne circuit has to complete it's feedback to the ECU before the ECU will supply voltage to the injectors. If it's intermittent....well, I'm sure you figure that part out.

Anyway, so somewhere your losing connection in the wiring. My guess is the Ne since you're using E2 to ground the other sensor wires and most of those are reading fine.....although some aren't. Were the ground to be bad, you'd more than likely get funky reading for all sensor wires. Then again, maybe not. I suppose I'm just going to have to look at a wiring diagram to see how ground is supplied through the harness. It's only one terminal, yet it grounds all the sensors, so it has to have one ground source. Maybe at the fuse box under the hood. Hmmm......

The only way I can think to test that E2 wire to find the source end and run your meter from it to the E2 terminal at the ECU connector of your harness. That way you'll know if that wire is bad. If need be, you can use an additional length wire connected to the source or the E2 terminal so your probes will have something to reach.

Well, that's all the time I gotz for now, brah. I need to get ready for going to town to pick up all of our critter food. I'll be gone until late this evening. Hopefully, I can do some research and get back with you on something more definite.

Kinda warm for a fire, but here's to you, Sir.......

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Nevermind this post. Thanks.....

Last edited by thook; 08-02-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets go everybody we have to get lil Jay's 4 runner going!!! it is his right chef ?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Hey Mike! lol.... Yeah, I'm sure it would be, .....if they're even allowed on the road by then in the Peoples Republic of California......muahhaha. My younger daughter wanted it but wound up with a newer Trooper 4x4, donated by a God-mother.

Hey Thook, thanks for the clarification. I'll try to soak it up now. lol. I actually hit the Goodwill today, because my friend donates time there and informed me, "Target and Macy's are dropping off so many clothes right now that we have to split it between 10 stores!".... So I got a bunch of 18-26$ T-shirts for 1.99$, some Tony Hawk Board shorts for 3.99$, a couple Macy's Button up Casual-Fine short sleeves(marked at 68$) for 5.99$!!! And, a couple other things, including an insulated Stainless Eco Friendly Water Can for camping, for 99c! WOOT, WOOT! I had a couple errands, but I stopped by Toyota and borrowed the FSM for my truck and took about 100 pics of the pages I needed. I'll be uploading them to photobucket, tonight, so I wont have time to get out and check anything(Just got back from doing a smaller party....WIPED OUT!) Dang it was warm, today! 90* and pretty sticky. Lil hot for standing over a grill for 2 hours, lol. S'all good though,

I'll read over your post again from my laptop, Matthew.... Trying to soak it up,...just a lil sun stroked from today.(BTW, my Multi-Meter ALWAYS reads "O.L." before I touch it to anything. Sometimes it will read "-O.L." like I said, but you didn't mention what that is, lol).

Oh, btw, got a couple TAPOUT shirts, lol. Should be getting my Yotatech Sticker and T-Shirts tomorrow or the next day! Can't wait to sport that on my truck! Got the big, 12" Red one!!!

L8r T8rs, ....I'll ttysoon!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM

I looked it up again. Since my meter never reads "OL", I had to refamiliarize myself with the term. It does mean over or out of limits, but it means open circuit, infinity, there's a break in the circuit......like the blown fuse example I posted above.

So, anyways, your meter reading "OL" before touching anything may just be the difference in design. And, if you get that when you're testing a circuit/wire, then there's a break in continuity. Means you have a damaged wire.

Are you sure when you got the "OL" readings on the circuits you pointed out that you were testing the correct terminals while at E2? Just making sure, you know. I'd hate to say,"Um....Mark. Time for a new harness or repair your original" when you were simply at the wrong terminals.

BTW, after some thought, I believe your ground/E2 has to be good. Otherwise, I think you'd be running a lot worse than you are. As well, none of the other readings would come out right.

As far as grocking the whole idea of ohms, resistance, and all that, just imagine having 3 contact points. Let's use 3 fingers as the example. On your ring finger, you have 9volts going to it. Your index finger is ground. Now, let's call ground a mirror, so to speak. Without the mirror, your meter can't see that voltage is being applied. You can't see yourself unless in a mirror, right? Okay. Without the middle finger being up, there's no resistance between the ring and index finger. So, the 9volts being applied has no obstacles to overcome. Put the middle finger up, and now you have resistance. When wiring an electronic device, the amount of resistance present has to be an allowable enough amount so that the voltage applied can travel through and operate the component effectively. But, remember what I said about ground being a mirror. Now, since the ECU of your vehicle used the amount of voltage to tell what's going on, resistance in this case is used to control the amount of voltage that will go back to the ECU. The coolant sensor being a prime example. 5volts is sent through the THW wire to the sensor. When the resistance inside the sensor is high, the voltage the ECU sees will be high, and so the ECU knows the coolant is still cold. Likewise, when the resistance in the sensor is low, the voltage will be low, and so the ECU knows the coolant is now warm.

Not all sensors work that way. That's just a matter of the sensor design. In this case, temp sensors are PTC thermistors. Heat causes the internal resistance of the materials inside to drop, so that the amount of voltage able to be "mirrored" back to the ECU will be low. Or, vice versa, when the resistance is high, and so on and so forth.

Does is make any more sense now? I hope I explained it clearly enough. Weedeating in 100* weather is just isn't good for the brain. I thought I was going to sweat every last bit of moisture out of my body and pass out. ENGH! Now, I'm just tired and ready for about 8hrs of sleep....lol! I won't get that much, though. I picked up a quart of black rustoleum and some rust converter to start prepping and painting my '86. I'll have to do it in the morning and evening, though. Paint specifies no more than 93* when applying. Bahahaha! It's freakin' hot here, man! WOOOH! IOW, I feel your pain, Chef.....

Last edited by thook; 08-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 AM

Edit.... I'm too tired to even post anything at the moment, lol. However, I'll post more, tomorrow with the appropriate pages I've copied to go from out of that Factory Manual at the dealer.

Thanks,

PS> Yes, makes more sense, and thanks, Matthew! The testing sounds a lil different for a couple things, ...so I'll post that tomorrow, too.

NIGHT Y'ALL,

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-03-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i think i had a stroke reading all that technical stuff there guys.....trying to catch up here.

Chef.....dang, why still the problems? this sux. you are going to be a troubleshooting expert when this is all over.

beautiful pics too Mark....i like to calm it down with a little nature pic too sometimes. with my job it's just rough and rugged and etc etc etc and it's nice to just have a pic or two to neutralize things for ya every now and then. in fact yesterday morning,just down the road about a 1/10th of a mile (actually, the exact spot where my truck died last year) was a fairly nice pic.....so i snapped one with my cellphone. wish i could have stayed a bit longer for the actual sun-rise but i had to fly. so this is right about 6:05 AM yesterday...on the way to work.....i've seen this view many times, but yesterday i stopped.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
now, mid you, we live in a very mountainous area....but, are essentially on top of one where i live, that's why you can't see any mountains.......because i'm on top of one. it's an 800 foot difference(elevation as per a topography map) between where i live and 6 miles later where you are back in the valley.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-03-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Wow, thank you for sharing that, Jerry, ...B-E-A-UUUUUUUUTIFUL! Man, I ALWAYS feel so privileged when I catch those 'moments' on film(or even just with my eyes, of course). It's amazing how soothing, invigorating, etc. an incredible scene can be. For instance; In Phoenix, it was the hottest summer in 25 years when I lived there for College and running a couple food joints, lol(126* on some days and 115* or so at 2AM!)..... But the MONSOONS, Sunsets, 80* Mornings with an INCREDIBLE sunrise were just a few of MANY things that made it very tolerable, to me at least, lol. That spot where I shot that pic from the mountain/looking down on the valley? That's around 8,000ft or so, give or take, and the hiking there, Jerry?>>> It's like walking into some CS Lewis Novel, that makes me feel young again! Hahaha. Of course, that's until my joints talk back and such, but anyhow, hahaha. I live at around 1,800Ft., in a canyon of these hills.... Near by, the bluffs are so incredibly gorgeous, as is the area I'm in. I'll have to get some pics off my external HD(my computer where I had 69Gigs of DSLR shots FRIED, ...but saved the Pics and such off the HD, ...FHEW! LOL.) Just had other things on my mind, lately, ya know? lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM

OKkkkkk, ...Hmmmmmm, hahah. Now, I'm going to fish through those pics I took and posted on my Photobucket and bring some of them here for reference, ok? I'll be back, and I promise, while I don't have hardly any time to mess with her,....I'M TRYING! hahaha. I'm planning on taking my trip, regardless, very soon. So, hopefully I can 'GET THIS' proverbial gremlin out of here for good.....then get on with the next couple hundred thousand miles or so, uninterruptedly! lol. Heck, IT SHOULD, ....pretty much everything is either new or verified 'good' on the parts meter.

Yeah, Jerry, I should be able to answer most any question regarding basic diagnosis by the time this is done. I'll really feel bummed if it's the harness, but only for a moment...... WHATEVA! lol. Gotta do whatcha gotta do, eh? Once I've posted the pics of the Manual pages, I'll head out and try to retest things.

L8r my Yotatech Homies!

Mark
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 AM

FSM- EFI Troubleshooting Chapter, 1987 Toyota 4Runner

I also have the 'Ignition System' Section and several from the Emissions Section.....but I want to keep it pertinent to MY GREMLINS for the moment. I hope that this stuff can help OTHERS as much as I'm hoping it will help me. AMAZING difference from the Haynes or otherwise, hmmmm? >>>>>>>>

EDIT; I'll post a thread with the FSM pages, later. I've removed them to make navigating my thread easier.(hahaha. I know, I know...but there ISSSSSSS good info in here).

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Checked all my voltage at the Connectors of the ECU, ...but the book said "Plugged in still", key on, or otherwise noted. Everyone checked out fine but a couple, including STA-E1, which read .05, until I turned off the engine, then it flashed 11.3V for a second. It's hard to get the prongs in some of those connectors, but it doesn't look to bad otherwise.

Have to run, be back later with results.(can't get that page to post on here horizontally, no matter what I've tried. Even rotated it in PHotobucket,...NO GO! I hate to post it straight up and down.... too hard to read, but I'll try to think of something.

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed