Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
They threw a 14 Person party at me, ......at 4'30, for 8pm! lol. Be back, later. Thanks a lot, Thook, guys!

mark
Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Order KFC???......<<snicker, snicker>>>
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Hahahaha. ..... KFC? Haven't you heard? 'THE COLONEL IS DEAD!' hehehe.

NO, it was people who dropped in to LA for the weekend. So, WHY NOT, eh? I mean, that's what I'm here for... I'm not complaining at all. Just appreciate it when they give me a lil more heads up. This time, they really had no warning. However, ...YES, they could have gone out! lol. But, again, WHY? LOL. They can just stay here, have everyone come to their house and party and then they don't even have to drive home wasted! hahaha. Anyway,...It was pretty fun, good people, ..many whom are still here...which means, 'TECHNICALLY, ...I'm not really done.'...but trust me, ...EVERYTHING is cleaned up the 'variables' that they might drop hints for are ready if they call for me.

Sooooooo, I hope you had a nice evening, Matthew...It was BEAUTIFUL here! It's 78* here, now, and everyone is still outside! lol. Nice night, ...really

Take care and good night,

Mark
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 AM

I'll see you around tommorrow. And, who says the Col.'s dead? He's the immortal chicken man!!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Hahahaha! Yeah, .... His 11 Herbs and spices......oh yeah, and now his conglomeration with Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, who are owned by Pepsi, along with his 387 New types of Chicken.... He'll live on for quite some time! hahaha.

"Hello, I'd like a two piece original, leg and thigh, coleslaw and mashed, a Taco Supreme and Bean Burrito, .....Oooh, and a Pepperoni Pizza, ... How about one of those Chocolate Bundt Cakes, too? ...oh, and a trash can filled with coke!...Oops, I mean X-tra Large, ...sorry." hahahaha.

Ok, now, to GET OUT TO THE GARAGE!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Haha.....no I didn't. But, I've got a friend I play African drums with. Well, two actually, but Rob (my best bud) likes to meow when we're recording. It's freakin' hysterical.

Yeah, I'll get back with you later. I'm working all the kinks out on the LSPV for my '86. I'm going to post a thread on it tomorrow. It's funny. In all the research I've done about it in the last couple of days, I don't see anywhere anyone's actually taken it apart.

Anyway, later.....
Hahaha.... How'd I miss this post? lol. Anywhooo, That's a funny story about your best friend. It's his 'trademark', eh? lol.

That throwing the 'meow' into a conversation? It's from Super Troopers, the Movie. They're Highway Patrol or something and they're being upstaged for funds by this State Trooper unit who works the same highway for other reasons. Anyway, the HPatrol guys are all a bunch of flakes, love to play tricks on people they pull over, etc. One Unit(two guys), pulls over this car with a straight edge couple in it, and his partner says, "I bet you can't say Meow 14(?) times while questioning them!"... "YOU'RE ON!" he responds. He slips it in there almost subliminally, Matthew, ....so funny. Finally, the guy in the car says, "Do you keep saying 'meow'?".. He answers, "WHAT??? I DON'T MEOW WHAT MEOW'RE TALKING ABOUT!"..completing his 14 'meows', lol. Lil crude at times for my taste, but parts of it were HILARIOUS! The way they mess with people out of sheer boredom...it's pretty funny at times. 'Nobody gets hurt' , yet 'OUT THERE' types of practical joking, lol.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahahaha! Yeah, .... His 11 Herbs and spices......oh yeah, and now his conglomeration with Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, who are owned by Pepsi, along with his 387 New types of Chicken.... He'll live on for quite some time! hahaha.

"Hello, I'd like a two piece original, leg and thigh, coleslaw and mashed, a Taco Supreme and Bean Burrito, .....Oooh, and a Pepperoni Pizza, ... How about one of those Chocolate Bundt Cakes, too? ...oh, and a trash can filled with coke!...Oops, I mean X-tra Large, ...sorry." hahahaha.

Ok, now, to GET OUT TO THE GARAGE!
Oops! You forgot your fire sauce, sir.....

I'm not much for crude humor myself, either. But, the movie does sound funny. I laughed real hard at the movie Jackass.......until the toilet scene in the hardware store. That just wasn't funny.

Last edited by thook; 07-31-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Hahaha. I hear ya! Yeah, Super Troopers wasn't as crude as some of the "Broken Lizard Productions" movies. Parts were REALLY funny and others were just unnecessary, lol. I laughed pretty hard quite a few times though, lol.

Anyway, I'm finally done for the day(save, if they throw something at me, later...but it's not likely). So, I just printed out most of the 15 Pages on the one PDF link(left out the Supra-Cressida stuff and a couple "this is next" pages). Then I printed out the 4 ECU pages. I'll try my best to get going on that as soon as I get something to eat. STARVING! Ok, I've been starving a couple times in my life...this isn't one. "HUNGRY", ...better? lol.

I just want to pull the mounting bolts for the ECU and leave it plugged to the wiring connectors, correct? Also, you said "test for resistance", which I'll do on the proper tests.. But it's also calling for several voltage tests at "Key to ON Position". I'll read through it, more than the glancing I've done, and try to soak it up.....But, thought I'd first ask you just for the heck of it! lol.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahaha. I hear ya! Yeah, Super Troopers wasn't as crude as some of the "Broken Lizard Productions" movies. Parts were REALLY funny and others were just unnecessary, lol. I laughed pretty hard quite a few times though, lol.

Anyway, I'm finally done for the day(save, if they throw something at me, later...but it's not likely). So, I just printed out most of the 15 Pages on the one PDF link(left out the Supra-Cressida stuff and a couple "this is next" pages). Then I printed out the 4 ECU pages. I'll try my best to get going on that as soon as I get something to eat. STARVING! Ok, I've been starving a couple times in my life...this isn't one. "HUNGRY", ...better? lol.

I just want to pull the mounting bolts for the ECU and leave it plugged to the wiring connectors, correct? Also, you said "test for resistance", which I'll do on the proper tests.. But it's also calling for several voltage tests at "Key to ON Position". I'll read through it, more than the glancing I've done, and try to soak it up.....But, thought I'd first ask you just for the heck of it! lol.
No need to pull the ECU down just to test for resistance at the harness. You do have to disconnect the harness to test, though. If you try to test for resistance at the harness with it connect, you'll also be getting a reading from the ECU and not just the components you're targeting. If you wanna test for voltage, then yeah pull it down and keep it all connected. Then, just backprobe the harness connector.

All I'm trying to get you to do is verify there aren't any problems with your harness, though. I'm sure it's safe to say the ECU's fine, the engine components are fine, and so if the wiring turns out to be fine, it's also probably safe to say voltage is all good, eh.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Ok, as I figured would happen.....THE VEHICLE SPROUTED WINGS AND FLEW AWAY THE SECOND I TOOK OUT MY MULTI-METER! lol... Jk, but actually, I'm ALREADY a bit...no, VERY confused here, Matthew.

Here is the schematic on that stuff I printed out for the ECM/ECM-Connectors Tests. Right below it is a pic of MY ECU wiring connectors.

Also, in the first pic, it appears to have MANY more connectors in the first set on the left than mine actually has. And, as you can notice, .... My Central set has NOTHING where the VC and THW connections are supposed to be, according to the schematic.

I need some help here, bud. Thanks, Mark

PS> Don't be afraid to say, "HEY, Dummy, you're looking at it all wrong here!" However, I actually tested the IDL - E2 connection and the VTA - E2 and the Vcc - E2, ....they all seem to be within the range suggested on the schematic-testing specs on the same page. However, when I 'plug onward', I'm finding what I said, above. Thanks again, Matthew.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:30 PM

PS> As long as I'd tested it right, I can say one thing... It's testing with almost the EXACT Voltage at the ECU with the Key on as the Battery does. 12.26 at the Battery and 12.25 at the ECU on "Batt./ E1 Test". I'm going to look at my Manual for some info to see if this schematic you've given is for an 85 or something? Or later? Ok, bud, ...talk to you soon.

Mark
Old 07-31-2010, 03:50 PM

PS#2> hahaha. I got my AAA Plus Card, today. It has many extra services/features... but the best one? 100 MILE FREE TOW/ Unregulated Terrain!

THANKS, BOSS!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Hey all,

Unfortunately, not knowing exactly what to do, I had to hold off and put it back together.... Had important errands come up and they were gone in the CRV.... Plus, I couldn't find clarification in my Haynes or otherwise, with the lil time I had to surf/search.

S'ok, I'll get a heads up. Just curious, too... Is the Haynes wrong in it's description of the 02 location? It says the Turbo is the one that has the O2 on the Exhaust Manifold on my year(like mine did before I pulled it for the header), and the Non-turbo is supposed to be back by the CAT.(????) My 86 4runner had a header when i bought it, and the 86 Lifted one did too, lol. The 85 didn't and I seem to remember it being where mine was this time, as well. Right on the exhaust before the collector.

Anyway, that's not really important, I just thought if it IS meant to be back by the CAT, ...I shouldn't be having problems with my 02 being a lil further back than it was.

Ok, well, I'll see you guys later. I have to get some prep done for tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Chef, man........I got home late last night and my wife said you called. I checked your message. I don't know what I was thinking, but I did give you the wrong diagram. Really sorry 'bout that. It's not from an '85, though. It's from the '93 FSM. I'll remedy that this afternoon.

You didn't realize, but I work in Fayetteville (30mi's from Winslow) on the weekend at the nutrition store. So when you called, I was still at work (9:30am -6pm CST) and then had a couple hours of running around to do in Fayetteville, afterward. Needless to say, I'm gone all day on Sat's and Sun's due to work. I can get on the webz from work, though. It's just sometimes I get busy enough I'm unable to post much.

My '86 has the O2S on the manifold. Seems to me a turbo of the same vintage would/should have it down the exhaust instead being the the turbo manifold is different. So, not sure why the Haynes would say otherwise, except that it's....well....a Haynes, lol! It also seems any non-turbo up until emissions changed in '89 (possibly?) and went to a heated O2 unit that it would have to be on the manifold from factory. We'll get clear on that. 4runnerx3 has all sorts of manual diagrams and info on our vintage 22re's. I've already sent him a PM. Hopefully, he'll repsond by this afternoon and we'll get you the ECU pinout and determine the "appropriate" O2 location.

Anyway, gotta get ready for work. Still have to unload the vehicle from yesterday's critter food accumulationg. Later, brudda!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks, Matthew, ... appreciate it. Hahaha, I was starting to get into the testing thinking, "WAIT A MINUTE... this can't be right!" lol.

Sure, and tell x3 that I'm very grateful, in advance. I suppose I could have surfed around here some more and possibly found it. Didn't "Alan" do a scan/posting of that schematic? Anyway, like I'd mentioned, ...I ended up getting busy too, but I probably could have finished up what you've wanted me to diagnose. Alas, it wasn't meant to be just yet, lol.

Yeah, I remember you saying something about working at the Nutrition Store... Just wasn't sure if that was your Cell.. till I remembered you saying, "Hold on, let me switch to the cordless"... lol. That's why I called after texting. Tell your wife I apologize for the scary robot voice Text-to-Answering machine voiced lady! lol.

Look forward to getting some more figured out. Plus, I wanted to add that someone messaged me, who works out of LAX, back and forth to somewhere else, and he's offered to come by and lend a hand,....said he "LOVES an electrical challenge, ....or any for that matter." So NICE, MAN! Hey, between you, all the help Flecker had already given me, and this new YotaJunkie, lol.... I might just figure out this mystery, after all, lol.

Thanks, Matthew, have a good day at work,

Mark
Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put a vacuum gauge on it. what does it read ?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I've tested the vacuum back when I was on my build thread and it was around 18", on average. On occasion it would seem to bounce to 15"(could just be from something causing it to lose pull during that 'hiccup stage'), but it would mostly hold at 18". I'll test it again, today, when I head out with the laptop(I have to check the ECU Connectors for voltage and resistance but I can't find the FSM page for which pin is which on line. But I did find it on "Alan's Troubleshooting thread for his 86"...but when I save it as a pic, it comes out squeezed down to the size of a pencil(???) lol. So I have to have my laptop with me to check off his permalink that I've saved to an email.)

I've tried ether, water dousing tests, ...pretty much everything but the smoke test(which I've had trouble locating mechanics that still do those).
Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM

what is smoke test ? When I first put engine back in mine it would not idle sounded like your video my son looked a vacuum lines and changed them to the right way and she ran perfect that was a 3.0
Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM

hey I will buy it !
Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Update;

I tested the Vacuum and as it's warming up it runs around 15". As I feather the throttle, not too high, it increases to 20-something and then drops off as it increases to a certain point. I've been busy since then, but I'll take another reading when it's fully warmed up, etc. I've triple checked the vacuum lines and even had the Foreman at my local Dealer(an acquaintance) check over them to verify. You'll buy what? And, the smoke test is when they fill the intake and so forth with smoke to test for vacuum/intake leaks. Not sure what video you're referring to, ...I've done many, lol. It's running kind of crappy again when cold, but pretty tight when warmed up, fully, driving around a lil bit.. But still with the 'pup..........pup-puppupup.........pup..pup' hiccup/miss.

Now, as far as the test of the wiring to the ECU(connectors), key in ON position, my results were as follows..........(The only Schematic I could find was on Alan's 22re Troubleshooting thread, and his is an 86... Should be ok).....>>>>Recommended numbers are in RED

IDL-E2; Open------------Infinite...Infinity
............Closed----------- .026...0-0.1
VTA-E2; Fully open------- Infinite...3.3-10
............Closed------------- .658...0.2-0.8
Vcc-E2; --------------- 1.2-1.7 .....3-7(Would only read when initially connecting it, split second)
THA-E2; ----------------- .898...2-3 (Engine was fully warm and AFM was pretty hot from residual heat) As it cooled it was creeping up in a few minutes to 1.1(I'll check it when fully cold)
THW-E2; ---------------- 0.344 (Fully Warm).....0.2-0.4
+B-E2; ------------------ 0.279...0.2-0.4
Vc-E2; ------------------ .180...0.1-0.3
Vs-E2; Closed ----------- 0.284...0.02-0.1
..........Fully Open-------- 0.670-0.720...0.02-1.0
Ne-E1; NOTHING, ... 0.14-0.18(Ne is for 'Engine Revolution Sensor'(???????)... Should it still read something when not running?)

I can't be sure, but I would bet that if the AFM housing is at room temp(77* today), instead of being literally REALLY warm from running around town, it might just read within specs in the Ambient Temperature Portion of the Test.... THA-E2(???)

Now I'm just waiting for Matthew(Aka Thook) to help me decipher what I've found and point me as to what's next.

PS> I can't read from Alan's thread whether this test was supposed to be done w/engine cold or warm, key on or off, ... But the other test that was sent to me said to have the key to on...Nothing more(that I remember, lol). Sorry,I'm just really freaky-confused at this point.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-01-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed