Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
PS> A pretty decent mechanic said "It COULD bring the 02's ability down by having a lil further back...but anything pre-CAT should easily get hot enough. If you bolted it in behind the CAT around 18 Inches, or behind the muffler, ....since you know it's working, it would DEFINITELY throw a code. So, I'm not saying it's not an issue....just that it's less likely than some other things it could be, ...like unregulated fuel pressure or 'too much air' intake, causing the fuel rate to go up to meet the requirements of the extra air introduced... Thus, vacuum leak or improperly working AFM.. but you seemed to have covered that... I'm stumped!" YES< yet another Guy, stumped! lol.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Regarding Mileage;

First of all, I've still had trouble figuring out whether my fuel tank is 17.1 or 14.9 Gallons(Not even sure those are the 2 different sizes...just as I recall,....nor can I know if there even were two different tanks available for my truck, lol).

However, I thought about it, yesterday, and figured, "Wait a minute...why not drive for 15 miles or so and then top off again, seeing how much it takes?" I got lucky on the guess, because when I hit the 16.5 Mark on the Odometer, I topped off again and it maxed out at exactly 1.00001 Gallons.

I guess what's important to note here is a few fold;

1.) Before filling up this last time, I had been driving pretty hard, hitting higher RPM's and, well, pretty much "Bleeder Video" style driving all over town. I don't red line it,...I don't mean that. But I do 'get on it', so to speak, quite often. So, this time, I really just babied it(I guess you could call this "how normal people drive", hahaha... At least from what I can tell as I pass them). I don't drive wreckless, ...just a bit more aggressive on the Throttle, you could say.

2.) I also realized that I'd not checked my tires in QUITE a while. Well, they were all pretty much right on the dot at 28#. I KNOW, I KNOW, don't yell at me or throw things... I'd just forgotten, to be honest.(So, Taking the tires being at 28# into account, ...I guess you could say I'm really getting-when I drive mellow- more like 18MPG on the street?

3.) Also important; < Which I KNOW is different for most people, having lived, myself, in places like 'Spokane, WA Outskirts' and Southern Phoenix, ...where there is not a constant 'sea of red'-taillights and stop lights and brake lights> is the fact that, I live in Los Angeles, CA., HOME OF THE 'SEA OF RED' and a stop light that you just happen to hit every 10 seconds. So, all of this driving, ALL OF IT, has been on the street, stop and go, throughout the gears 100 times in one gallon, since I began trying to establish my mileage.

Soooooo, I'm going to fill up, right off the Freeway(another nightmare in Los Angeles Local Proper Cities) at a VERY low traffic time of day. I want to see if I drive 20+ Miles after topping off, ... "Does it take a gallon....OR MORE?"

Having a CA legal LCE header and Cold Air intake, I would think, would increase my mileage a LITTLE BIT.... But I KNOW THAT, having 12 or so missing pounds from my tires wasn't helping, either! lol. We'll see, and I'll post asap what my mileage is.

Still looking for any input on what this 'pup.................pupupupp...........pup...pup. ..' type hiccup is, and I've posted this in my 'Build Thread', below, in RED, as well. LOTS of info there for guys with 'gremlins' who "JUST CAN'T FIND THE DANG PROBLEM"... I've solved MANY, with the help of these great Yotatech Bud's.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-29-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't you have a trip meter, Chef?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Don't you have a trip meter, Chef?
Eh chemmmmm, ...... say what? hahahahaha.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM

If you mean my 'secondary odometer', yes, that's what I'm using... It's what I meant when i said, "clicked it back to zero" when we were speaking earlier. I also have a tilto-meter, hahaha.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM

DANGGGGGG, 425 Posts? hahahaha. Fhewwwwww!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Ted wrote me(love that guy...such a helpful man!) saying that my account of my voltage needle on the Volt Gauge bouncing a lil could very well be a sign of something that could easily wreak havoc on an OBD1-ECU system. I cleaned up the grounds, replace the wire between the pos. terminal and Fuse box(engine bay) and the ground side as well, and replaced the starter wire, cleaned up the ground on the firewall,....cleaned up the other grounds, well, from what I could see, when rebuilding(like the one that bolts to the back of the head(PITA)...and then to the rear firewall), ...I cleaned up the connection to the outer nut on the intake as well..... Yet the needle it still bouncing, VERY SLIGHTLY, when putting on the turn signal. I have no idea if it's related, ....but my right column lever has an issue.... The Cruise Control spring-lever seems to be fine(even though my CC doesn't work, lol...even the CC light works on the dash, hahaha), but the button on the end of the lever for the 'Windshield wiper washer fluid' does not work(it's depressed and wont come out, ...the spring is gone I suppose?).. Not sure if this could have caused a lil short in there. Also, when I put on my lights, the dimmer dial only allows my lights to be on when the dimmer dial is forced all the way clockwise, ....then the lights in the dash all work, fine. However, when I turn on the lights, even to auxiliary lights(w/out headlights), the clock dims to nearly invisible. The voltage doesn't drop when I do this, on the gauge that is, ..but I'm not sure if that's normal for the clock to do that. I'm also going to test my lighter, today....because it's SO FRUSTRATING to have an inverter, but not be able to use it unless the truck is on. My battery reads 12.6 Volts, RIGHT NOW. Yet, the lighter, when I was camping and trying to use the inverter, only read 11.5 volts with a multi-meter a fellow camper hooked up. He said, "You can't use this lighter to power this thing with the truck off..it wont work, because the inverter HAS TO HAVE 12V minimum to even operate(Because it has an internal fan, which you'll hear running, but there's not enough left to power the inverter-output). Could it just be that my lighter housing is corroded in there or something? Or does my lights/clock and barely bouncing voltage gauge needle suggest there's something else wrong between the battery and "Dash-interior voltage needs"???? ahhhhhhh, lol.
My clock isn't working right now in my '86. I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot the circuit, but I know the lighter and clock are on the same circuit. My clock, when it was working, always dimmed down when I turned the headlamps on. I thought it was normal. I'll have to see if my wife's 4rnr does the same thing.

Fix that wiper/sprayer switch. If it's always in, it may always be making contact. Then again, it may have burned out by now....lol! Try to get the button to come out, though. See what happens, I guess. Meh......chassis electricals aren't my forte....
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef! i can't believe i didn't think of this sooner!!! last year i swapped out my '86 engine into the '88 body, and for a while she ran like absolute poop. couldn;t figure it out, no power on hills, horrible milage.... ran thru everything i could think, rechecked the fuel filter (had an extra washer in there limiting fuel), reset the timing about a dozen times (it ran ok advanced to 8 degrees, not at all at the factory 5)... finally after about 4 months of beating the crap out of her, i took it to a garage and had them look it over. compression test came back good, but when we pulled the plugs while it was running, we discovered that 4 wasn't firing, even tho there was spark... so i figured that somehow the injector had gotten clogged or died after the swap... so i got under there and started to look at everything, and i discovered the wires to the injector plug had gotten pulled back in the plug so they weren't making contact with the injector.... all i did was pull the boot back, reseat the wires, tape them in place, replace the boot and reconnect to the injector and voila!! smooth as butter, lol. since yourecently pulled and reinstalled your engine, maybe one of your injector wires got loosened, too. i pulled mine without disassembling anything tho, so it was difficult to get the wiring harness pulled out from under the throttle body. have you tried pulling the spark plug wires while she's running to see if you're firing on all four??
Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 PM

If I may answer for him.......oh, okay.....I will.

They're all firing.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey Bud, ....

Well, I'm fairly positive that's not my issue. Sure, I could have a 'BARELY' hanging on wire in the harness or something that's 'iffy', ...but it just runs to dang good, other than that lil pup-pup miss to be a 'non-firing' issue, know what I mean? It's strong, plenty of power, and on downhill grades, when leaving it idle at a higher rpm(you know, when you hear 'SNAP, CRACKLE, POPPPPP', type missing if something like that or otherwise is way off?), it PURRRS. In fact, the only time you can even detect the miss, which is VERY slight, is at idle. However, as slight as it is, ....THANKS TO THOOK making me rethink this...PROPS! LOL, ....it could still be enough of a vacuum leak or otherwise to force the 02 or otherwise into a 'lean' mode(due to unmetered air...Right thook? lol), which would cause, most definitely, more fuel consumption...... However, as I stated above... It appears as though(I'll be TRIPLE CHECKING AND VERIFYING THIS!LOL) I'm getting around 17MPG, maybe more in L.A. City Driving Conditions(we'll see how well it does with 42 in the tires instead of 28#, you know?), so I really don't think I have that 'major' of a flaw going on. But thank you for pointing out your experience... THAT'S WHAT I'VE HOPED FOR, regarding my wishes for this thread, even equally to my desire to find my own source of issues---- FOR OTHERS to gain something out of it. Again, THANKS!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, sure! mine didn't seem to be too bad either, especially with the timing advanced, but it ran rich, sputtered at idle and had less power on hills than 31" bfg's could account for. i've been following your thread and i'm completely baffled. just thought i'd share. the wires looked fine, but when i pulled the plug off the injector, i could see the wires themselves were backed out of the plug enough to keep from making contact. so the injector was fine, and everything else checked fine, but the injector just wasn't getting power. i was so mad at myself that something so simple had been my problem for so long, lol. i hope you can get it diagnosed and fixed up soon, tho. may i ask, are you a private chef or do you work in a restaurant?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 PM

My clock isn't working right now in my '86. I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot the circuit, but I know the lighter and clock are on the same circuit. My clock, when it was working, always dimmed down when I turned the headlamps on. I thought it was normal. I'll have to see if my wife's 4rnr does the same thing.

Fix that wiper/sprayer switch. If it's always in, it may always be making contact. Then again, it may have burned out by now....lol! Try to get the button to come out, though. See what happens, I guess. Meh......chassis electricals aren't my forte....
HEY BRUDDA!

Fhewww, ok, well, let's see.........

Yeah, I think it's normal, but SURE, if you wouldn't mind, ....check it out on the other one. As far as the button? I've tinkered with that thing to no end, ...took the end off and it took me 20 minutes to get it lined up just right and back on! ahhhhhh, lol. I was told when that goes, you basically have to get the whole switch/signal/washer harness(it's both arms and subsequent modules/relays). They don't sell one arm at ANY Yard I've called. I'm not sure I could take the whole thing apart and hope to fix it.... I really doubt that, it's very intricate. However, if I find someone else who's had this problem, I'D SURE LIKE TO READ IT! lol.... Stinks having no washer fluid! lol. The wipers WORK, no problems. However, with the cruise control diaphragm not working, I can't tell if that part of the arm works, either, hahaha. I might just try to fix that thing...would be nice on my 300Mile stretches at times on the 395HWY heading through the Sierras!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by khat toy
lol, sure! mine didn't seem to be too bad either, especially with the timing advanced, but it ran rich, sputtered at idle and had less power on hills than 31" bfg's could account for. i've been following your thread and i'm completely baffled. just thought i'd share. the wires looked fine, but when i pulled the plug off the injector, i could see the wires themselves were backed out of the plug enough to keep from making contact. so the injector was fine, and everything else checked fine, but the injector just wasn't getting power. i was so mad at myself that something so simple had been my problem for so long, lol. i hope you can get it diagnosed and fixed up soon, tho. may i ask, are you a private chef or do you work in a restaurant?
Hey Khat, seriously, THANKS for bringing it up. It's ALWAYS worth it, and trust me, someone some day will 'keyword' injectors and find their problem lies in your laid out solution, ...ya know? lol So thanks!

Far as the connection, I'm fairly sure I'm ok. I did a noid test, when running into that stuck closed injector, before I yoinked everything back apart.... and I actually remembered either you or SOMEONE mentioning EXACTLY what you've just pointed out as a possibly viable diagnosis! I checked the connection on all of them, when I had to tear off the plenum again. Sure, there COULD be a 'just barely' in there,somewhere, ...and if it comes to something like that, I'm not about to tear this thing down again. I'd rather have a shop with a scope/etc., get REALLY into it and pin point the issue. For now, I will SCOPE MY OWN WAY with the Multi-Meter on the ECU, etc., asap! lol. Also, when that injector wasn't firing, I found the EASIEST way to tell if you have no fuel to one of the cyl's is to start the truck, cold, and touch the pipes, while it's just starting to run. My #2? COLD as ice while the others were already HOT AS HELL! lol. I say 'do it quickly' because, well, IT DOES GET HOT from residual heat, lol. But you can tell it's not getting fuel if you're SURE you have spark.

Yes, I am a Personal, Live-in Chef for a family in Palos Verdes, CA. I've been here 8 years, yet I've cooked for over 20. I've ran Hotels,.... 100 Residejnt- 20K$ a Month Rental Resort style living-Fine dining Halls, several smaller fine dining start ups in Scottsdale, AZ, .... My own private Catering Co. and some heavy Vegas(2400 Covers a Night) type restaurants. I used to design menus, diet plans for resort clients within the 'Fitness' Menu/Dining sections. I went back to College in 98, to get my, basically, 'BAS' in Food Physics and Geriatric Nutrition...which is what landed me right here, feeding and caring for the health of a retired Couple, (and their family quite often, lol),both with health issues(Strokes, Heart Disease)...and I think, no I'm SURE I've made a difference, since they're prognosis was PRETTY BLEAK, when I arrived..... 8 years ago, lol. To me, next to my faith? ...one of the most beautiful things I've been able to experience, pertaining to 'RELATIONSHIPS WITH PEOPLE'(what else is there?lol), is almost always related to or stemming from 'FEEDING SOMEONE' something that makes them 'MMMMMMMMm and OHHHHHH' , sometimes taking them back to Mom's Pot Pie or otherwise... Sure, we all have to drive, work, sleep, ...but FOOD, ...I tell ya, Khat... I can't think of ANYTHING I'd rather do. I consider myself 'VERY Blessed', where it COUNTS! lol.

Sorry for rambling, lol.

BACK TO GREMLINS NOW! HAHAHHA!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Chef, you got's a stethoscope? Well, if it's even a slight concern for you, what you can do is put your 'scope to the injectors one at a time.... with the truck running, of course.....and jiggle the harness listening for any variance in the pulse. Jiggling wires is one thing the autoshop101 recommends for troubleshooting circuits.

So, now I know exactly what you do! How interesting. Seems you and I have even more in common. I've been cooking a long time, but I've also studied natural health and nutrition for nearly 20 years. I just never went pro....lol!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:52 AM

SWEET, MATTHEW!

And, alright, I will try that. I have a long screw driver that resonates loud enough to sound like a woodpecker is in my ear when listening to them....but yeah, the stethoscope would be easier. Do they make one long enough to place on the CSI while starting it? Just to QUADRUPLY CHECK that it's not running on? lol.

I'm going to run really quickly to Kragen or Pep Boys and get a Stethoscope and some Starter Fluid. I want to have a can on hand, anyhow.

Then, I'll try to get into the ECU readings. OK? lol.

PS>

1. The item we were questioning last night?

"Solenoid Resistor: The solenoid resistor protects the injectors from alternator surges and effects of other electrical components by lowering the source voltage."

The other, that I remember coming up a few times?

"Water Thrmo Sensor: This device, which is located in the thermostat housing, monitors changes in the engine coolant temperature. As soon as a temperature change is sensed, a signal is sent to a control unit where a modified injector pulse duration will be computed."

HMMMMM, seems as though that lil -Thermo Temp Time Switch- sucker can have more of an effect than I previously had thought.

PS> Thook, ANYONE, could you turn on your turn signal while running and tell me if your voltage needle bounces a TEENY bit? Mine doesn't jump a quarter inch or anything....it's very slight. And, on every truck I've had(TOYOTA TRUCK THAT IS< LOL),>>> When I put down a window when running, then hold down the switch still, even after it's rolled down, it effects the idle and forces it to drop, until I stop depressing the window switch. If anyone has electric windows, could you check that for me, too? My bosses Brand New CRV even seems to do that....a lil bit, .....so I'm not sure that's abnormal. However, I might just have a gremlin in my dash or in the harness somewhere, so I'd like to try and pin point my issue and IF I HAVE ONE, lol..before I get proverbially raped by an electronic mechanic.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM

PS> For Reference Purposes;

The listing through my VIN#, pertaining to the size of the Tank comes up, on their computer, as "65 Liters".

65 Liters = 17.17118332 Gallons
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Holy petrol! How'd you finally get them to locate that tank info? I was 99% sure you had a 17gal. tank. It's an SR5. I'd think that would make a difference. Although, mine's a DLX (the '86) and has the 17gal tank. I still suspect it would be a 2wd that'd have anything different.

Where'd you read that water thermo temp and solenoid resistor info?

The clock on my wife's 4rnr does dim. I'll check for the guage fluctuation with the wiper switch on. I know it doesn't bog the idle when the windows go down, but does once once the window (or sunroof) is completely closed/open and you continue to press the switch. That latter symptom, atleast, is normal, though.

The stetho should have an extension. Mine does. And, yes, it'll reach nearly anything on the motor provided there's enough clearance with the bungle of components.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Holy petrol! How'd you finally get them to locate that tank info? I was 99% sure you had a 17gal. tank. It's an SR5. I'd think that would make a difference. Although, mine's a DLX (the '86) and has the 17gal tank. I still suspect it would be a 2wd that'd have anything different.

Where'd you read that water thermo temp and solenoid resistor info?

The clock on my wife's 4rnr does dim. I'll check for the guage fluctuation with the wiper switch on. I know it doesn't bog the idle when the windows go down, but does once once the window (or sunroof) is completely closed/open and you continue to press the switch. That latter symptom, atleast, is normal, though.

The stetho should have an extension. Mine does. And, yes, it'll reach nearly anything on the motor provided there's enough clearance with the bungle of components.
Holy PETROL, THOOKMAN! lol.

Yeah, what I was asking in regards to the window switch was just that. "When all the way down, STILL PRESSING, does it load on the idle and drop it some?" Ok, THANKS! Was a lil worried about that.

Heck, I might just have an all around 'toight like a toiger' Rig! ... But let's make sure, eh? lol

Sorry, I've been faxing Deposition Paperwork for my Boss all morning. Some long prior lawsuit that they're trying to collect on(a collective lawsuit...PITA, lol). They(the representatives in charge of the case), keep submitting info to the settling party improperly.... thus, the checks come to the company name He worked for..not HIS PERSONAL NAME! ahhhhh!lol.

I'm heading out in 20 to finally GET GOING on this! Fhewwwww, ok, breathing done, I'm fine now! lol. Jk, I'm fine anyhow...just dramatizing it for fun, hahaha.

Have a great day, Matthew!

Meowrk

.... what? I didn't say anything... Meow'll talk to you later! WHAT? I don't know what you're talking about. hahaha. sorry if you didn't get that inside-cinema joke, hahaha.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Haha.....no I didn't. But, I've got a friend I play African drums with. Well, two actually, but Rob (my best bud) likes to meow when we're recording. It's freakin' hysterical.

Yeah, I'll get back with you later. I'm working all the kinks out on the LSPV for my '86. I'm going to post a thread on it tomorrow. It's funny. In all the research I've done about it in the last couple of days, I don't see anywhere anyone's actually taken it apart.

Anyway, later.....
Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
DANGGGGGG, 425 Posts? hahahaha. Fhewwwwww!
And, counting!

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed